Thunderbird poop
Miller
2018-04-20 20:09:49 UTC
Please help.

The Mozilla group is sleeping.
I find experts here, not there !

You have my permission to get this post to the appropriate folks at
Mozilla. I do not know how to do that.

Running Latest version of TBird ! on Win XP pro.

5 eMail accounts. some IMAP
We share this PC and have only one user name.

1) trying to compact folders.
Says folder in use and stops compaction all the other folders.
Try again and stops again at a different folder.

Poop !

2) Currently downloading 50,121 email in All Mail
Which All Mail ?????
It does not say. Really stupid programmers !

I do not want this to happen so how do I kill it ???
How do I get rid of all All Mail.
I deleted mail in those folders but it does not delete really.
It comes back.

Why can't they just not fill All Mail as an option !

Poop !

3) I now have 35GBytes in the profiles.
TBird is so stupid about maintenance and should make it easier to do !

How do I move all of this to a drive with lots of space ???

Poop !

Please small steps since I am not computer literate !
Shadow
2018-04-20 20:50:37 UTC
Post by Miller
[...]
Obviously. You didn't mention what version you are using or
even which OS.
And all the problems you are having can be fixed by going to
"Account Settings" and "Options" (or whatever that is in the latest
versions)
Thunderbird only does what you tell it to do.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-20 20:57:50 UTC
Post by Miller
Please help.
The Mozilla group is sleeping.
I find experts here, not there !
You have my permission to get this post to the appropriate folks at
Mozilla. I do not know how to do that.
[]
Post by Miller
Please small steps since I am not computer literate !
You appear to be posting via something called netfront. You must have
signed up with that. You need to sign up with the mozilla news server in
much the same way - then you will be able to post direct to
mozilla.support.thunderbird; that is better than us relaying your
questions.

The desire to remain private and/or anonymous used to be a core British value,
but in recent times it has been treated with suspicion - an unfortunate by-
product of the widespread desire for fame. - Chris Middleton,
Computing 6 September 2011
Big Al
2018-04-20 21:21:24 UTC
Post by Miller
Please small steps since I am not computer literate !
You appear to be posting via something called netfront. You must have
signed up with that. You need to sign up with the mozilla news server in
much the same way - then you will be able to post direct to
mozilla.support.thunderbird; that is better than us relaying your
questions.
OP: once you signup to the Mozilla server, make sure you refresh the
newsgroups. If you're in TB, I think it does it by default, but if I'm
wrong, there is a button to do it.

Al
Paul
2018-04-20 21:40:54 UTC
Post by Miller
Please help.
The Mozilla group is sleeping.
I find experts here, not there !
You have my permission to get this post to the appropriate folks at
Mozilla. I do not know how to do that.
Running Latest version of TBird ! on Win XP pro.
5 eMail accounts. some IMAP
We share this PC and have only one user name.
1) trying to compact folders.
Says folder in use and stops compaction all the other folders.
Try again and stops again at a different folder.
Poop !
If you disconnect the network cable on the PC, or turn
off the router, Thunderbird cannot engage any servers in
it's server list. Once this is done, compaction should be
a little easier. If it is doing automatic compaction already
(you see the disk light flashing), then the program just
might be stupid enough to think its own compaction
operation is "making a folder busy". Thunderbird is the
"poster boy" for poorly thought out asynchronous behavior.

Disconnecting the network cable is all I can think of, to
quiet it down. But it's really not a quiet program in
my opinion. Always busy busy busy like it was Windows 10
or something.
Post by Miller
2) Currently downloading 50,121 email in All Mail
Which All Mail ?????
It does not say. Really stupid programmers !
I do not want this to happen so how do I kill it ???
How do I get rid of all All Mail.
I deleted mail in those folders but it does not delete really.
It comes back.
Why can't they just not fill All Mail as an option !
Poop !
3) I now have 35GBytes in the profiles.
TBird is so stupid about maintenance and should make it easier to do !
How do I move all of this to a drive with lots of space ???
Look for the file "profiles.ini" just above where the
current 35GB profile is located. Profiles.ini is a text
file. It has relative and absolute path specification capability.
While exited from Thunderbird, you can edit "profiles.ini"
and change the path. Copy the profile folder (all 35GB) to
your roomy disk drive. Then edit profiles.ini to point
to the new location.

I move my profile all the time. For example, when the OS
I'm using right now was broken a couple days ago, I copied
the profile over to my other OS disk, edited "profiles.ini"
on it, and Thunderbird picked up where it left off. Sometimes
you have to re-enter a password, because that part doesn't
always seem to transfer well.
Post by Miller
Poop !
Please small steps since I am not computer literate !
This page explains "All Mail" a little bit, a "feature"
of GMAIL. There is a link in this text, that is supposed
to take you to some unsubscribe info.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1045261

"The 'All Mail' folder in gmail is where gmail keeps all
of its emails and labels are applied to show emails in
various folders including the Inbox.

So the 'All Mail' folder is really an archive folder in gmail.

If you subscribe to see 'All Mail' folder then it
doubles the size of your Profile.

If you delete emails from the 'All Mail' folder you are
likely to delete them from all folders.

You can unsubscribe from showing the 'All Mail' folder.
Here is a link to info on doing this.

* http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail

scroll down to the section 'All Mail'
"

HTH,
Paul
tesla sTinker
2018-04-22 21:21:27 UTC
Post by Miller
[...]
My advise to you is to use Eudora, dump Thunderbird.
and do not try to use them together as they claim you can.
Only use Eudora.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE
GlowingBlueMist
2018-04-23 16:39:12 UTC
Post by tesla sTinker
Post by Miller
[...]
If you go to the above link you will find that Eudora has been abandoned
and is no longer being supported. The same link suggests using
Thunderbird in place of Eudora...
Daniel60
2018-04-24 12:12:11 UTC
Post by Miller
[...]
Miller, I don't use Thunderbird but *I do use SeaMonkey Suite* (think
Firefox plus Thunderbird plus), so the settings may/will be different,
but I'll have a go!!

Have a look at the drop-down menus across the top of your Thunderbird
screen and you should find something like "Tools" or "Options" which
allows you to "Switch Profiles". There you should be able to set up a
new profile, give it a name and locate it where ever you want (on the
second screen, maybe).

Then have a look, possibly under the "Edit" drop down (or, again, under
"Options"), for "Mail & Newsgroup account settings" and, on your current
Profile (probably called "Default"), select "Server Settings" and, at
the bottom of that screen, note the "Local directory:" location.

Then do similar for your newly created account.

Then completely close Thunderbird, including the Windows "Fast Start"
ability (down in the bottom left of screen), if you use that.

Then, in your Windows File Manager, copy the files from your current
Profile to the same level in your New Profile.

Then, restart Thunderbird and change into your new Profile using the
"Switch Profiles" screen mentioned above.

Report back if you need further help.
--
Daniel