logging in to YouTube
2018-06-09 16:16:14 UTC
Using Windows 7 32 bit, and Chrome "Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official
Build) (32-bit)".

On a YouTube page, I click SIGN IN (in red at top right). A new tab
opens, with URL:

https://accounts.google.com/signin/v2/identifier?service=youtube&uilel=3&
continue=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fsignin%3Faction_handle_signin%3D
true%26next%3D%252Fwatch%253Fv%253DU90cxOgp368%26hl%3Den-GB%26app%3Ddeskt
op&hl=en-GB&passive=true&flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=ServiceLogin

(I don't know how much of that is necessary and how much is tracking
where I came from and so on). Anyway, It says

Sign in
Continue to YouTube

Email or phone

there isn't a Password box, though there is a NEXT button.

So I enter my email, and either press enter, or click NEXT, Nothing
happens. (I was expecting to get a new screen prompting for password or
something.)

Oh - I _do_ *have* a YouTube (now Google) account; I'm logged in fine in
Firefox. And yes, I have tried logging out and in again in case being
logged in there was causing the problem.

When I click NEXT, the button changes from medium blue to dark blue
briefly.

When I sign in with Firefox (27), the screen looks a bit different:

One account. All of Google.
Sign in to continue to YouTube
[picture of me]
[my email]
Password box
sign in button

But I don't see a password box in Chrome. (Obviously it's using cookies,
as it knows it's me and has popped up the picture and email [which is
what I use to log in].)

At first I wondered if something in my hosts file is the reason (I'm
fairly vicious on Google therein), but I can't see why that shouldn't
stop me logging in in Firefox, if that's the explanation.

I've just tried copying the URL from the signin page I see in Firefox -

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?passive=true&hl=en-GB&continue=h
ttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fsignin%3Fnext%3D%252F%26app%3Ddesktop%26ac
tion_handle_signin%3Dtrue%26hl%3Den-GB%26feature%3Dsign_in_button&uilel=3
&service=youtube

- as you can see, it's _slightly_ different - into Chrome, but no, I
just got the same page as before in Chrome.

There's not an app for that.
Daniel60
2018-06-10 10:29:45 UTC
[...]
John, I use SeaMonkey Suite (think Firefox plus Thunderbird plus ...)
and, many years ago, I was trying to get into something like youtube.ca
which used a log-in icon supplied from google.com .... and I had set up
my SeaMonkey to not download links/buttons/etc supplied from other
sites, so I had no way of logging in .... until I went into settings and
allowed my SM to get things from other sites!!

I don't use Chrome so don't know if it has a similar setting or not, but
might be worth a look!
Daniel
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-10 14:18:00 UTC
Post by Daniel60
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Using Windows 7 32 bit, and Chrome "Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official
Build) (32-bit)".
On a YouTube page, I click SIGN IN (in red at top right). A new tab
[]
Post by Daniel60
John, I use SeaMonkey Suite (think Firefox plus Thunderbird plus ...)
and, many years ago, I was trying to get into something like youtube.ca
which used a log-in icon supplied from google.com .... and I had set up
my SeaMonkey to not download links/buttons/etc supplied from other
sites, so I had no way of logging in .... until I went into settings
and allowed my SM to get things from other sites!!
Thanks for replying. Good thought.
Post by Daniel60
I don't use Chrome so don't know if it has a similar setting or not,
but might be worth a look!
I only have these (Chrome calls them "Extensions"), and I don't think
any of them would be blocking in that way:

Blank New Tab Page
Easy! Show Title Plus
EditThisCookie
Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on (by Google)
Show Title Tag
Video DownloadHelper

I don't think any of these would block a logo. As for a general Chrome
setting, I can't _think_ of a Chrome setting which has such a blacklist
option, though there may be one; since Chrome itself and YouTube are
both Google products, I don't imagine they'd fight each other!

Though if anyone knows otherwise, please share! It's tedious having to
switch back to my ancient Firefox (in which YouTube videos don't
actually play) to leave comments and similar.

"There is no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes." - Billy
Connolly, in his World Tour of England, Ireland and Wales, 4 March 2002 (BBC1).
Paul
2018-06-10 20:23:30 UTC
Sign in
Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on (by Google) <===
Somehow, this seems a strange mix.

What could go wrong ?

2018-06-10 20:33:10 UTC
Sign in
Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on (by Google) <===
Somehow, this seems a strange mix.
What could go wrong ?
Paul
They provide it themselves. They claim that all it blocks is profiling
(though I don't think they use that word), i. e. you'll still see ad.s,
just they may be less relevant. Can't see it making a password box
invisible (if that's what is happening).

Anyone care to post (the text of) what _they_ see when clicking SIGN IN
on YouTube when using Chrome?

Sarcasm: Barbed ire
πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰
2018-06-10 21:04:50 UTC
(I don't know how much of that is necessary and how much is tracking
Everything is tracked these days. Please shut down your computer and go
for a walk. Problem solved and stop crying about it on a public
newsgroup. Life is too short for an old man like you.
Windows Defender software.
//https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/comprehensive-security/