Video Viewer may have Trojan
Gene Malvern
2018-03-30 23:58:19 UTC
I've been using a freeware video player that I've
found suits my needs well. It's called Potplayer.
It has several features that I like, including
start and stop with the space bar, which is the
standard among most video editors. It has
configurable keyboard commands, which I also think
is necessary in a video player. Another feature
that I really like is that it will play each video
clip in a folder sequentially once you play back
back the first clip.

Potplayer seems to be the IrfanView of video
players.

There is a problem, however. Some people are saying
their anti-virus software is idenfying some
component of the Potplayer installer as a trojan.
Is this something that should be taken seriously?
I've heard that false positives are common with
video players, but I don't know how to judge the
seriousness of these blog comments that pop up from
time to time about Potplayer.
JJ
2018-03-31 00:43:24 UTC
Post by Gene Malvern
[...]
When an antivirus detect something, most people would think that it caught a
virus/malware without even reading what it actually detect.
ken1943
2018-03-31 00:48:09 UTC
On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 16:58:19 -0700, Gene Malvern
Post by Gene Malvern
[...]
Calling home for updates ?

Ken
Gene Malvern
2018-03-31 14:54:48 UTC
Post by ken1943
Calling home for updates ?
That could be. I don't know how these things work.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-31 01:39:37 UTC
In message <***@news.aioe.org>, Gene Malvern
<***@casablanket.com> writes:
[]
Post by Gene Malvern
Potplayer seems to be the IrfanView of video
players.
[]
For purely _playing_, I get the impression that VLC is the IrfanView.
(I've never heard of Potplayer, though that isn't meant to denigrate.)

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that
may never be questioned.
Wolf K
2018-03-31 12:52:10 UTC
Post by Gene Malvern
Potplayer seems to be the IrfanView of video
players.
[]
For purely _playing_, I get the impression that VLC is the IrfanView.
(I've never heard of Potplayer, though that isn't meant to denigrate.)
VLC includes playback controls, eg, you can tweak the gamma, contrast,
sharpness, sometimes useful when the transfer from ancient films was
done on the cheap.

Best,
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
weeks ago."
Gene Malvern
2018-03-31 15:14:38 UTC
Post by Wolf K
VLC includes playback controls, eg, you can tweak the gamma, contrast,
sharpness, sometimes useful when the transfer from ancient films was
done on the cheap.
I've used VLC for years. But as I mentioned
earlier, what it won't do is go into a folder in
Windows Explorer and play the clips one after
another. With VLC, you double click on a clip and
it plays it. To play the next clip you have to
unload the program and double click on the next
clip.

With Potplayer you double click on the first clip
and it automatically goes on to the next clip in
the folder. Or you can hit the Page Down key and
quickly page through a lot of clips to find the one
you're looking for.

In other words, it works much the same way that
IrfanView does when you need to page through a
folder of still photos.
Rodney Pont
2018-03-31 16:39:10 UTC
Post by Gene Malvern
I've used VLC for years. But as I mentioned
earlier, what it won't do is go into a folder in
Windows Explorer and play the clips one after
another. With VLC, you double click on a clip and
it plays it. To play the next clip you have to
unload the program and double click on the next
clip.
If you select all of the clips when you open a file in VLC they become
a playlist and you can click the next item in the playlist button to go
to the next one. Or right click and select next. You can also select
open multiple files from the media menu.
--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;
UKUltraspeed <http://www.500kmh.com/>
Gene Malvern
2018-03-31 16:40:04 UTC
In article
Post by Rodney Pont
If you select all of the clips when you open a file in VLC they become
a playlist and you can click the next item in the playlist button to go
to the next one. Or right click and select next. You can also select
open multiple files from the media menu.
If you're in a hurry, which of course you always
are when you're editing video, you need to be able
to look at a large number of video clips quickly.
In those circumstances, messing with playlists
becomes a major pain in the ass.

That's why I've begun this search to find a video
player that doesn't insist on the use of playlists
to simply look at a bunch of clips, and do it fast.

Potplayer enables you to go to a folder, start the
first playback, and page through a bunch of clips
without the hastle of setting up a playlist.

Now, if I can just find out what this trojan
business is all about.
Rodney Pont
2018-03-31 18:12:28 UTC
Post by Gene Malvern
Post by Rodney Pont
If you select all of the clips when you open a file in VLC they become
a playlist and you can click the next item in the playlist button to go
to the next one. Or right click and select next. You can also select
open multiple files from the media menu.
If you're in a hurry, which of course you always
are when you're editing video, you need to be able
to look at a large number of video clips quickly.
In those circumstances, messing with playlists
becomes a major pain in the ass.
That's why I've begun this search to find a video
player that doesn't insist on the use of playlists
to simply look at a bunch of clips, and do it fast.
Potplayer enables you to go to a folder, start the
first playback, and page through a bunch of clips
without the hastle of setting up a playlist.
Well if ctrl-a is too much hassle... I'm just pointing out that you can
play multiple clips in VLC.
G Ross
2018-04-01 06:39:17 UTC
Post by Rodney Pont
Post by Gene Malvern
I've used VLC for years. But as I mentioned
earlier, what it won't do is go into a folder in
Windows Explorer and play the clips one after
another. With VLC, you double click on a clip and
it plays it. To play the next clip you have to
unload the program and double click on the next
clip.
If you select all of the clips when you open a file in VLC they become
a playlist and you can click the next item in the playlist button to go
to the next one. Or right click and select next. You can also select
open multiple files from the media menu.
Will it save the audio to a separate file while playing?
G Ross
Rodney Pont
Gene Malvern
2018-03-31 14:54:49 UTC
In article <***@255soft.uk>, G6JPG-255
@255soft.uk says...
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
For purely _playing_, I get the impression that VLC is the IrfanView.
(I've never heard of Potplayer, though that isn't
meant to denigrate.)
I don't have anything against VLC. But it won't go
into a folder and play the clips in sequence. I
need to be able to page through the clips quickly.
Potplayer will do that. I wish I could put my mind
at ease about this trojan thing though.
Char Jackson
2018-03-31 17:00:21 UTC
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 07:54:49 -0700, Gene Malvern
Post by Gene Malvern
@255soft.uk says...
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
For purely _playing_, I get the impression that VLC is the IrfanView.
(I've never heard of Potplayer, though that isn't
meant to denigrate.)
I don't have anything against VLC. But it won't go
into a folder and play the clips in sequence. I
need to be able to page through the clips quickly.
Potplayer will do that. I wish I could put my mind
at ease about this trojan thing though.
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (MPC-HC) is another popular player
that can play all of the videos in a folder in sequence.
Gene Malvern
2018-03-31 20:06:50 UTC
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (MPC-HC) is another popular player
that can play all of the videos in a folder in sequence.
Media Player Classic is one slick little video
player. I just downloaded it and tried it out.

I offers VSync, which is great. Verticle line
tearing has been one of my pet peeves about
playback in VLC.

I like the keyboard controls, which are more-or-
less standard, such space-bar play and pause. I
like using Escape to go from full-screen to the
window.

It also offers the option to "play the next file in
the folder." That's exactly what I need. But I
can't get the setting to stick. Once you exit the
player it's been going back to the default setting
which is "Do nothing."

Do you know of a setting that will make that option
stick? Is there a setting somewhere that I missed?
Paul in Houston TX
2018-03-31 20:37:43 UTC
Post by Gene Malvern
Post by Char Jackson
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (MPC-HC) is another popular player
that can play all of the videos in a folder in sequence.
Media Player Classic is one slick little video
player. I just downloaded it and tried it out.
I offers VSync, which is great. Verticle line
tearing has been one of my pet peeves about
playback in VLC.
I like the keyboard controls, which are more-or-
less standard, such space-bar play and pause. I
like using Escape to go from full-screen to the
window.
It also offers the option to "play the next file in
the folder." That's exactly what I need. But I
can't get the setting to stick. Once you exit the
player it's been going back to the default setting
which is "Do nothing."
Do you know of a setting that will make that option
stick? Is there a setting somewhere that I missed?
Use command line switch: /playnext
There are a lot more in: Help, Command line switches.
h***@weriat.net
2018-03-31 03:11:05 UTC
Post by Gene Malvern
[...]
Upload it to Virus Total and see what a whole bunch of AV products say
about it.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload
Gene Malvern
2018-03-31 14:54:50 UTC
I'll give that a try.
Java Jive
2018-03-31 15:22:59 UTC
Post by Gene Malvern
There is a problem, however. Some people are saying
their anti-virus software is idenfying some
component of the Potplayer installer as a trojan.
Upload it to Virus Total and see what a whole bunch of AV products say
about it.
https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload
Yes, this is good advice for x86 & x64 files.

However, when initially I read that advice I was mistakenly thinking I
was reading one of the mobile groups that I subscribe to, and began to
wonder whether VirusTotal would be able to scan for viruses written for
other CPUs - different CPUs have different instruction sets, so the
same virus written in x86 coding would result in a different byte
pattern than if it was written for, say, an arm CPU. I've just had a
look at ...

https://support.virustotal.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002126889-How-it-works

... and I can't see anything about support for viruses on other hardware
platforms, so whether this would be equally good advice for, say, mobile
viruses, I have no idea.
Gene Malvern
2018-04-01 00:53:47 UTC
Post by h***@weriat.net
Upload it to Virus Total and see what a whole bunch of AV products say
about it.
https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload
Well, you've done a great deal to put my mind at
ease about Potplayer. Only one of the hundred or so
virus checkers at VirusTotal came back with a
negative reading on the Potplayer installer .exe
file. That single virus checker that came back
negative was something called Baidu. Never heard of
it.

The rest all called it clean.

I think I'm going to take a chance on Potplayer and
install it on the rest of my machines. It's a slick
little video player. It does everything I've been
needing in a video playback program for a long
time.
Paul in Houston TX
You can use Wireshark to see if or where it sends info about your vids.
Gene Malvern
2018-04-01 04:49:51 UTC
Post by Paul in Houston TX
You can use Wireshark to see if or where it sends info about your vids.
Good. I'll give that a try.