Is there a newsgroup for the Chrome browser? [new tab page]
2018-03-16 10:56:59 UTC
(Not a forum.)

What I wanted to ask is: how do I set, if I can at all, what a new tab
opens as?

In Firefox, I can choose (IIRR) that a new tab opens as my home page, a
copy of the page I'm on when I click new tab, or blank; something like
those choices, anyway. (I have it set to blank.)

In Chrome, I can't find any way to set it. (It currently comes up a the
default Google page.)

"The wish of the lazy to allow unsupervised access [to the internet] to their
children should not reduce all adults browsing to the level of suitability for a
five-year-old." Yaman Akdeniz, quoted in Inter//face (The Times, 1999-2-10): p12
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2018-03-16 13:53:45 UTC
You might try alt.comp.freeware
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(Not a forum.)
What I wanted to ask is: how do I set, if I can at all, what a new tab
opens as?
In Firefox, I can choose (IIRR) that a new tab opens as my home page, a
copy of the page I'm on when I click new tab, or blank; something like
those choices, anyway. (I have it set to blank.)
In Chrome, I can't find any way to set it. (It currently comes up a the
default Google page.)
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不賭錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):
2018-03-16 14:50:57 UTC
(Not a forum.)
What I wanted to ask is: how do I set, if I can at all, what a new tab
opens as?
In Firefox, I can choose (IIRR) that a new tab opens as my home page, a
copy of the page I'm on when I click new tab, or blank; something like
those choices, anyway. (I have it set to blank.)
In Chrome, I can't find any way to set it. (It currently comes up a the
default Google page.)
The options here, don't exactly leave a warm feeling.

This shows some of the controls, but I don't particularly
like the options offered... at all.

https://www.howtogeek.com/264394/how-to-open-google-chrome-settings-in-a-separate-window/

2018-03-17 02:14:38 UTC
(Not a forum.)
What I wanted to ask is: how do I set, if I can at all, what a new
tab opens as?
In Firefox, I can choose (IIRR) that a new tab opens as my home
page, a copy of the page I'm on when I click new tab, or blank;
something like those choices, anyway. (I have it set to blank.)
In Chrome, I can't find any way to set it. (It currently comes up a
the default Google page.)
The options here, don't exactly leave a warm feeling.
This shows some of the controls, but I don't particularly
like the options offered... at all.
https://www.howtogeek.com/264394/how-to-open-google-chrome-settings-in-a
-separate-window/
Paul
Thanks - but that is just a way of opening the settings "page" in a new
window rather than a new tab. The actual content of the window that
results is the same as what opens in a tab (rather than a window) if you
access the settings in the usual way.

Heaven forbid today's audience should feel bombarded with information or
worse, lectured. Dont'scare the horses by waving facts around.
- David Butcher, RT 2014/11/29-12/5
Monty
2018-03-17 03:39:29 UTC
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 02:14:38 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:

To answer the question in the title - The answer is yes!

The name of rhe newsgroup is ALT.CHROME
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-17 03:46:22 UTC
Post by Monty
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 02:14:38 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
To answer the question in the title - The answer is yes!
The name of rhe newsgroup is ALT.CHROME
I did look before asking, and found that. I don't think it had any posts
later than 2017, several from 2012, and mostly about Chromebooks, the
Chrome operating system, and other matters: I don't think I saw _any_
about the browser.

... she has never contracted A-listeria or developed airs and graces. Kathy
Lette on Kylie, RT 2014/1/11-17
Barry Schwarz
2018-03-16 15:35:27 UTC
On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 10:56:59 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(Not a forum.)
What I wanted to ask is: how do I set, if I can at all, what a new tab
opens as?
In Firefox, I can choose (IIRR) that a new tab opens as my home page, a
copy of the page I'm on when I click new tab, or blank; something like
those choices, anyway. (I have it set to blank.)
In Chrome, I can't find any way to set it. (It currently comes up a the
default Google page.)
Look at
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11412/choose-custom-new-tab-pages-in-chrome/
Remove del for email
Good Guy
2018-03-16 16:57:39 UTC
(Not a forum.)
What I wanted to ask is: how do I set, if I can at all, what a new tab
opens as?
In Firefox, I can choose (IIRR) that a new tab opens as my home page,
a copy of the page I'm on when I click new tab, or blank; something
like those choices, anyway. (I have it set to blank.)
In Chrome, I can't find any way to set it. (It currently comes up a
the default Google page.)
How about this old man?

Please refrain from cross-posting to other newsgroups. Windows 7 is
active and Windows 10 is also active but XP is completely dead; XP is
no longer officially supported by Microsoft.
Windows Defender software.
//https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/comprehensive-security/
Mike Easter
2018-03-16 18:24:29 UTC
What I wanted to ask is: how do I set, if I can at all, what a new tab
opens as?
In Firefox, I can choose (IIRR) that a new tab opens as my home page, a
copy of the page I'm on when I click new tab, or blank; something like
those choices, anyway. (I have it set to blank.)
In Chrome, I can't find any way to set it. (It currently comes up a the
default Google page.)
To have chrome startup as a blank page, put the URL 'about:blank'
noquotes into the On startup section in settings.

To have chrome open a new tab as a blank page, use the extension Blank
New Tab Page.
Mike Easter
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-17 02:21:15 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
What I wanted to ask is: how do I set, if I can at all, what a new
tab opens as?
In Firefox, I can choose (IIRR) that a new tab opens as my home
page, a copy of the page I'm on when I click new tab, or blank;
something like those choices, anyway. (I have it set to blank.)
In Chrome, I can't find any way to set it. (It currently comes up a
the default Google page.)
To have chrome startup as a blank page, put the URL 'about:blank'
noquotes into the On startup section in settings.
To have chrome open a new tab as a blank page, use the extension Blank
New Tab Page.
Wow, you need an extension just to do that! (The page Barry Schwarz
found links to the same.)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/blank-new-tab-page/jonikckfpolfcdcgdficelkfffkloemh/related
Seems to be it.
And it works! Thanks.