OFF-TOPIC: commercial DVDs without label
Jo-Anne
2018-04-19 16:54:44 UTC
When I buy DVDs, occasionally I get one that has the pertinent
information on a ring around the hub but has no label covering the DVD.
Any thoughts on why that's done? The latest one (bought used) has a
normal case and cover and the remains of the security stickers on top
and bottom; the DVD is meant to be played on one side, not both sides.
--
Thank you,
Jo-Anne
Rene Lamontagne
2018-04-19 18:39:23 UTC
Post by Jo-Anne
When I buy DVDs, occasionally I get one that has the pertinent
information on a ring around the hub but has no label covering the DVD.
Any thoughts on why that's done? The latest one (bought used) has a
normal case and cover and the remains of the security stickers on top
and bottom; the DVD is meant to be played on one side, not both sides.
Hi, used to be one side was standard 4/3 format and the other side was
the same movie in wide screen format.

Rene
Big Al
2018-04-19 18:42:50 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Jo-Anne
When I buy DVDs, occasionally I get one that has the pertinent
information on a ring around the hub but has no label covering the
DVD. Any thoughts on why that's done? The latest one (bought used) has
a normal case and cover and the remains of the security stickers on
top and bottom; the DVD is meant to be played on one side, not both
sides.
Hi, used to be one side was standard 4/3 format and the other side was
the same movie in wide screen format.
Rene
The DVD had two layers in it allowing side A and side B? Wow, didn't
think that could be engineered.
Rene Lamontagne
2018-04-19 19:05:43 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Jo-Anne
When I buy DVDs, occasionally I get one that has the pertinent
information on a ring around the hub but has no label covering the
DVD. Any thoughts on why that's done? The latest one (bought used)
has a normal case and cover and the remains of the security stickers
on top and bottom; the DVD is meant to be played on one side, not
both sides.
Hi, used to be one side was standard 4/3 format and the other side was
the same movie in wide screen format.
Rene
The DVD had two layers in it allowing side A and side B?  Wow, didn't
think that could be engineered.
Here's a good explanation.

https://www.supermediastore.com/pages/dvdr-dl-double-layer-media-general-information

Rene
Paul
2018-04-19 19:17:24 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Big Al
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Jo-Anne
When I buy DVDs, occasionally I get one that has the pertinent
information on a ring around the hub but has no label covering the
DVD. Any thoughts on why that's done? The latest one (bought used)
has a normal case and cover and the remains of the security stickers
on top and bottom; the DVD is meant to be played on one side, not
both sides.
Hi, used to be one side was standard 4/3 format and the other side
was the same movie in wide screen format.
Rene
The DVD had two layers in it allowing side A and side B? Wow, didn't
think that could be engineered.
Here's a good explanation.
https://www.supermediastore.com/pages/dvdr-dl-double-layer-media-general-information
Rene
There's a picture here. The focal length of the optics
has to change, to pick up the second layer. Reading is from
one side of the disc only.

https://publiclab.org/notes/MrBumper/01-11-2015/preparing-a-dvd-r-to-act-as-a-diffraction-grating

I wonder how the uncorrected error rate differs on the two layers.

Paul
Jo-Anne
2018-04-19 19:59:20 UTC
Post by Jo-Anne
When I buy DVDs, occasionally I get one that has the pertinent
information on a ring around the hub but has no label covering the DVD.
Any thoughts on why that's done? The latest one (bought used) has a
normal case and cover and the remains of the security stickers on top
and bottom; the DVD is meant to be played on one side, not both sides.
I'm afraid I wasn't clear about what I was asking. The commercial DVDs
I'm referring to are movies that come in regular movie DVD cases and are
only one-sided. (I do have some that are widescreen on one side and full
screen on the other, but these aren't the ones I'm asking about.)
Normally, they would have a label that covers the entire DVD on top--but
a few have no label, just the movie title and other relevant information
on a ring around the hub.

You can see an image of this kind of DVD for the movie The Big Easy on
eBay at
https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Big-Easy-DVD-1999/123087797691?epid=3060929&hash=item1ca89abdbb:g:FoQAAOSwx2har~8G

The disc images are the far-right ones under the main image. The one on
the left is the top side and looks like some of the DVDs I have. They
appear to be genuine.
Jo-Anne
Paul
2018-04-19 20:24:17 UTC
Post by Jo-Anne
Post by Jo-Anne
[...]
Your theory does have some validity.

There could be a reason for not having a label.

Apparently the pressed ones go up to DVD-17 ("Figure 11"). Shocking.
You'd think it would be too thick.

https://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec3/

I wonder why I've never seen any reference to that in adverts,
like "this DVD drive reads DVD-17" ?