OT: Azio Keyboard KB506 Vision Backlit keyboard
2018-07-20 20:54:15 UTC
Hi W7 and Where's Waldo (W10),

Review: Azio Keyboard KB506 Vision Backlit USB with Large
Print Keys and 5 Backlight Colors

I sold the following to a 82 year old lady with not
so good vision and whose keyboard resided in a drawer
with poor room lighting.

1) if has oversized labels on the keys

2) it has the choice of five LED color backlights on all the keys

3) brightness control (pressing the color button for three seconds
turn it off completely)

4) reasonably priced

5) seems to be good workmanship (will know for sure in a year)

https://www.amazon.com/Azio-Keyboard-Interchangeable-Backlight-KB506/dp/B00I0S6SK0

29.99 U$D

-T

My personal preference is for Unicomp keyboards, but when my eye
start to fail, I will be interested in this one for sure!
Peter Jason
2018-07-20 23:04:40 UTC
On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 13:54:15 -0700, T
Post by T
Hi W7 and Where's Waldo (W10),
Review: Azio Keyboard KB506 Vision Backlit USB with Large
Print Keys and 5 Backlight Colors
I sold the following to a 82 year old lady with not
so good vision and whose keyboard resided in a drawer
with poor room lighting.
1) if has oversized labels on the keys
Great! But have the keys hair-trigger action? If
so the LOL (little old lady) will be making many
mistakes! What are the Cherry specs?
Post by T
2) it has the choice of five LED color backlights on all the keys
Does the backlighting show from beneath the edges
of the keys? If so this is VERY distracting.
Post by T
3) brightness control (pressing the color button for three seconds
turn it off completely)
4) reasonably priced
Suspicious!~
Post by T
5) seems to be good workmanship (will know for sure in a year)
https://www.amazon.com/Azio-Keyboard-Interchangeable-Backlight-KB506/dp/B00I0S6SK0
29.99 U$D
-T
My personal preference is for Unicomp keyboards, but when my eye
start to fail, I will be interested in this one for sure!
In desperation for a good keyboard I was reduced
to buying a 2003 IBM, it has larger-lettered
keys.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-07-20 23:29:27 UTC
Post by T
Hi W7 and Where's Waldo (W10),
Review: Azio Keyboard KB506 Vision Backlit USB with Large
Print Keys and 5 Backlight Colors
I sold the following to a 82 year old lady with not
so good vision and whose keyboard resided in a drawer
with poor room lighting.
1) if has oversized labels on the keys
Great! But have the keys hair-trigger action? If
so the LOL (little old lady) will be making many
mistakes! What are the Cherry specs?
You may also like (many will hate!, but can be useful) one of the
audible feedback utilities. I like noisy keyboard (and mouse) from
http://leeos.tripod.com/ (which work on XP and 7; I don't have 10),
which make the thing sound like a typewriter, which your LOL may have
been used to. (I first tried it just out of curiosity, but now find I
miss it when using another computer. YMMV!)
Post by Peter Jason
Post by T
2) it has the choice of five LED color backlights on all the keys
Does the backlighting show from beneath the edges
of the keys? If so this is VERY distracting.
From the pictures on the Amazon page the OP posted (see below), the
lighting comes _through_ the keys, and seems significantly brighter
doing that than any leakage around their edges.
Post by Peter Jason
Post by T
3) brightness control (pressing the color button for three seconds
turn it off completely)
4) reasonably priced
An alternative, quite a bit cheaper (though the keyboard here isn't that
expensive - but these come out at about 2 to 5 pounds a sheet), though
probably not as long-lasting, is/are large-letter keyboard stickers; you
can get them in white or yellow on black, or black on yellow or
fluorescent. (I wasn't able to find fluorescent on black, which would
have been my preference.) These may be the only option for use on a
laptop - though beware claims that they'll fit "any keyboard"; the
stickers are too large for most laptop keys. (I've let them overhang the
back edge of the keys and that's fine, but some might find the
appearance unacceptable.) I bought not for weak eyesight, but because I
like to use the laptop in subdued light, and the tiny letters on the
keys [why _do_ they do that?] aren't too easy to see.
Post by Peter Jason
Suspicious!~

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. - Oscar Wilde
Peter Jason
2018-07-21 01:26:39 UTC
Post by T
Hi W7 and Where's Waldo (W10),
Review: Azio Keyboard KB506 Vision Backlit USB with Large
Print Keys and 5 Backlight Colors
I sold the following to a 82 year old lady with not
so good vision and whose keyboard resided in a drawer
with poor room lighting.
1) if has oversized labels on the keys
Great! But have the keys hair-trigger action? If
so the LOL (little old lady) will be making many
mistakes! What are the Cherry specs?
You may also like (many will hate!, but can be useful) one of the
audible feedback utilities. I like noisy keyboard (and mouse) from
http://leeos.tripod.com/ (which work on XP and 7; I don't have 10),
which make the thing sound like a typewriter, which your LOL may have
been used to. (I first tried it just out of curiosity, but now find I
miss it when using another computer. YMMV!)
There are youTube reviews

etc
Can Win10 turn on sounded keystrokes, if so I
can't find it. 'll try out the 'tripod' page
though.
ATMs have loud key sounds too.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Peter Jason
Post by T
2) it has the choice of five LED color backlights on all the keys
Does the backlighting show from beneath the edges
of the keys? If so this is VERY distracting.
From the pictures on the Amazon page the OP posted (see below), the
lighting comes _through_ the keys, and seems significantly brighter
doing that than any leakage around their edges.
Better views on youTube reviews
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Peter Jason
Post by T
[...]
Post by Peter Jason
Suspicious!~
keys.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-07-21 03:31:26 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 00:29:27 +0100, "J. P.
[]
Post by Peter Jason
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
You may also like (many will hate!, but can be useful) one of the
audible feedback utilities. I like noisy keyboard (and mouse) from
http://leeos.tripod.com/ (which work on XP and 7; I don't have 10),
which make the thing sound like a typewriter, which your LOL may have
been used to. (I first tried it just out of curiosity, but now find I
miss it when using another computer. YMMV!)
There are youTube reviews
http://youtu.be/DjKvIvCHnvk
http://youtu.be/eXu1sLLLe5Y
Those are reviews of the keyboard. The first one is over 8 minutes and
is REALLY irritating! The second one - 2'24" - shows the keyboard well.
Post by Peter Jason
Better views on youTube reviews
Yes.

... the pleasure of the mind is an amazing thing. My life has been driven by
the satisfaction of curiosity. - Jeremy Paxman (being interviewed by Anne
Widdecombe), Radio Times, 2-8 July 2011.
Rene Lamontagne
2018-07-21 03:38:57 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
You may also like (many will hate!, but can be useful) one of the
audible feedback utilities. I like noisy keyboard (and mouse) from
http://leeos.tripod.com/ (which work on XP and 7; I don't have 10),
which make the thing sound like a typewriter, which your LOL may have
been used to. (I first tried it just out of curiosity, but now find I
miss it when using another computer. YMMV!)
There are youTube reviews
http://youtu.be/DjKvIvCHnvk
http://youtu.be/eXu1sLLLe5Y
Those are reviews of the keyboard. The first one is over 8 minutes and
is REALLY irritating! The second one - 2'24" - shows the keyboard well.
Yes, Must they wave the camera around when doing a Video as if it was a
Flag?
When I see one like this I immediately shut it down.
Rene
Peter Jason
2018-07-21 07:12:59 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
You may also like (many will hate!, but can be useful) one of the
audible feedback utilities. I like noisy keyboard (and mouse) from
http://leeos.tripod.com/ (which work on XP and 7; I don't have 10),
which make the thing sound like a typewriter, which your LOL may have
been used to. (I first tried it just out of curiosity, but now find I
miss it when using another computer. YMMV!)
There are youTube reviews
http://youtu.be/DjKvIvCHnvk
http://youtu.be/eXu1sLLLe5Y
Those are reviews of the keyboard. The first one is over 8 minutes and
is REALLY irritating! The second one - 2'24" - shows the keyboard well.
Also, there's the swooping cinematography.
2018-07-21 07:48:53 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
You may also like (many will hate!, but can be useful) one of the
audible feedback utilities. I like noisy keyboard (and mouse) from
http://leeos.tripod.com/ (which work on XP and 7; I don't have 10),
which make the thing sound like a typewriter, which your LOL may have
been used to. (I first tried it just out of curiosity, but now find I
miss it when using another computer. YMMV!)
There are youTube reviews
http://youtu.be/DjKvIvCHnvk
http://youtu.be/eXu1sLLLe5Y
Those are reviews of the keyboard. The first one is over 8 minutes and
is REALLY irritating! The second one - 2'24" - shows the keyboard well.
Also, there's the swooping cinematography.
I guess nobody can afford a SteadyCam Jr.
(5 minutes of 1 hour video is enough.)

2018-07-20 23:32:16 UTC
Post by T
Hi W7 and Where's Waldo (W10),
Review: Azio Keyboard KB506 Vision Backlit USB with Large
Print Keys and 5 Backlight Colors
I sold the following to a 82 year old lady with not
so good vision and whose keyboard resided in a drawer
with poor room lighting.
1) if has oversized labels on the keys
Great! But have the keys hair-trigger action? If
so the LOL (little old lady) will be making many
mistakes! What are the Cherry specs?
What is a Cherry Spec?
Post by Peter Jason
Post by T
2) it has the choice of five LED color backlights on all the keys
Does the backlighting show from beneath the edges
of the keys? If so this is VERY distracting.
Not so I noticed.
Post by Peter Jason
Post by T
3) brightness control (pressing the color button for three seconds
turn it off completely)
4) reasonably priced
Suspicious!~
Hell, I can buy OEM keyboards from my distributors for $5.00.
They suck, but ...
Post by Peter Jason
In desperation for a good keyboard I was reduced
to buying a 2003 IBM, it has larger-lettered
keys.
Check out Unicomp. They have buckling springs under each key.
They emulate the old IBM Selectric typewriters. I love them!

I think the worst keyboard I have ever come across are those
little white artsy-fartsy ones that MAC uses. And I know how
to type too! I have to one finger every key on those pieces
of crap!
Rene Lamontagne
2018-07-20 23:48:39 UTC
Post by T
Hi W7 and Where's Waldo (W10),
Review: Azio Keyboard KB506 Vision Backlit USB with Large
         Print Keys and 5 Backlight Colors
I sold the following to a 82 year old lady with not
so good vision and whose keyboard resided in a drawer
with poor room lighting.
1) if has oversized labels on the keys
Great!  But have the keys hair-trigger action?  If
so the LOL (little old lady) will be making many
mistakes!   What are the Cherry specs?
What is a Cherry Spec?
If Peter
Post by T
Post by Peter Jason
In desperation for a good keyboard I was reduced
to buying a 2003 IBM,  it has larger-lettered
keys.
Check out Unicomp.  They have buckling springs under each key.
They emulate the old IBM Selectric typewriters.  I love them!
I think the worst keyboard I have ever come across are those
little white artsy-fartsy ones that MAC uses.  And I know how
to type too!  I have to one finger every key on those pieces
of crap!
Cherry mechanical Switches on a $29.95 Keyboard! I think not Peter.

Rene
Tim
2018-07-21 00:44:42 UTC
Post by T
Hi W7 and Where's Waldo (W10),
Review: Azio Keyboard KB506 Vision Backlit USB with Large
Print Keys and 5 Backlight Colors
Great! But have the keys hair-trigger action? If
so the LOL (little old lady) will be making many
mistakes! What are the Cherry specs?
What is a Cherry Spec?
Cherry is the best known maker of mechanical action keys as opposed to
the usual membrane pressure switchs found on most low cost keyboards.
With a mechanical action keyboard, each key will make a 'click' when
depressed far enough to register a key press. There are four major styles
of mechanical keys, noted by colors such as red, blue, green, etc. They
vary in how far the key must be depressed to register, the amount of
force needed, whether they signal 'closed contact' before being fully
depressed as opposed to when fully depressed. Due a search for 'Cherry
Keys' and you will find a lot of information explaining things further.
The keys in my Azio MKG L80 are not Cherry, but comply with the Cherry
design specs, and are more than good enough for me.

I had a little trouble when first switching to the Azio with false
presses as I was letting my other fingers press too hard on their home
keys, but soon got used to doing it right. (I have been a touch typist
for the last fifty years, and have often told people that the best class
I took in high school as the touch typing summer school class I took as a
sophmore. As an IT wonk that ability has been extremely useful in
programming and writing documentation. Using a mechanical keyboard
certainly helps when touch typing.
Tim
2018-07-21 00:32:46 UTC
Post by T
My personal preference is for Unicomp keyboards, but when my eye
start to fail, I will be interested in this one for sure!
I spent years using a Logitech membrane keyboard because that was what came
with the last package system I bought. Since then I have build my own
systems and just kept using the same keyboard. I finally got tired of it,
especially since there are no recent drivers for it. I was looking around
for a new keyboard, and came across the Azio MGK L80 on Massdrop. I decided
to take a chance and bought one with the moderate clicky keys. I love it. I
like the positive feedback from the keys, and the sound is just loud enough
to let me know I have definitely pressed that key. I reminds me of the
keyboards on the old DEC VT100s, and the IBM 3270 terminal keyboards. I
also like the backlit keycaps as they let me see which keys I am hitting in
low light situations. I spent about twice as much on this one as on the one
you sold, but feel it was definitely worth the money.
2018-07-21 03:20:23 UTC
Post by Tim
Post by T
[...]
Take a look at Unicomp keyboards