skype 8
John Jones
2018-07-28 09:29:08 UTC
skype has always been a weird application - the only one that won't go
away if you click the red x.
The latest skype has fixed that: the user interface does close.
But the five tasks using up 170Mb of memory do not.
Remind me: what is the P in PC?
How do I gain some level of control over this ignorant application I
only use once a month?
JJ
Paul
2018-07-28 10:03:50 UTC
Post by John Jones
skype has always been a weird application - the only one that won't go
away if you click the red x.
The latest skype has fixed that: the user interface does close.
But the five tasks using up 170Mb of memory do not.
Remind me: what is the P in PC?
How do I gain some level of control over this ignorant application I
only use once a month?
JJ
The beauty of articles like this, is how they
get out of date quickly.

https://www.howtogeek.com/284864/how-to-stop-skype-from-running-in-the-background-on-windows-10/

[Stop it happening after boot via Options menu]

[If it's running, the menu is supposed to allow backgrounders to exit]

And in this (old) thread, it even details how
Skype can be "un-killable" due to a bug.
I didn't know a windows process could do this.
I presume this has been fixed.

https://superuser.com/questions/452852/windows-7-x64-cannot-kill-skype

In Windows 7, all you'd have is the PE32 executable )traditional) and
not a Metro App, so you do have that going for you.

Paul
John Jones
2018-07-28 13:50:23 UTC
Post by John Jones
skype has always been a weird application - the only one that won't go
away if you click the red x.
The latest skype has fixed that: the user interface does close.
But the five tasks using up 170Mb of memory do not.
Remind me: what is the P in PC?
How do I gain some level of control over this ignorant application I
only use once a month?
JJ
The beauty of articles like this, is how they
get out of date quickly.
https://www.howtogeek.com/284864/how-to-stop-skype-from-running-in-the-background-on-windows-10/
[Stop it happening after boot via Options menu]
https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/ximg_5850ad8885a56.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.Qd5HDshTTx.png
[If it's running, the menu is supposed to allow backgrounders to exit]
https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/ximg_5850ada6379e6.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.V6A-mTL_GN.png
And in this (old) thread, it even details how
Skype can be "un-killable" due to a bug.
I didn't know a windows process could do this.
I presume this has been fixed.
https://superuser.com/questions/452852/windows-7-x64-cannot-kill-skype
In Windows 7, all you'd have is the PE32 executable )traditional) and
not a Metro App, so you do have that going for you.
Paul
Many thanks
JJ
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-07-28 10:38:45 UTC
Post by John Jones
skype has always been a weird application - the only one that won't go
away if you click the red x.
The latest skype has fixed that: the user interface does close.
But the five tasks using up 170Mb of memory do not.
Remind me: what is the P in PC?
How do I gain some level of control over this ignorant application I
only use once a month?
JJ
See Paul's lengthier reply. But as well as the red X (red if you're
using the default Windows scheme), try right-clicking on the tray icon
and selecting Quit Skype (not sign out; though try that too).

For me, that killed it (rather too well - I couldn't start it up again
even if I wanted to, until the next reboot, but then there's something
odd about Skype on this particular machine - version 8 is the first one
that's connected at all on here, though 7 and before were quite happy on
my other W7 machine).

Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.
John Jones
2018-07-28 13:56:03 UTC
Post by John Jones
[...]
Great! I hadnt noticed that option. I haven't tried to restart skype
yet, but if it needs many tasks to make it work it may be that one has
to reboot. Seems a small price to pay.

One of Paul's quotes says "MS killed skype already" and one can but
agree :-(

Many thanks
JJ
John Jones
2018-07-28 14:01:53 UTC
On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 14:56:03 +0100, "John Jones" <***@hotamil.com>
wrote in article <***@reader.eternal-
september.org>...
Post by John Jones
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by John Jones
[...]
In case MS lawyers are listening, I note that in this post there was one
little word missing. When I said one can but agree, I meant to say, one
can but NOT agree. I hope this makes everything clear.
JJ
πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰
2018-07-28 15:52:57 UTC
Post by John Jones
How do I gain some level of control over this ignorant application I
only use once a month?
JJ
Uninstall it and stop making yourself a fool by crying about something
that that can be resolved by any idiot on this planet.

Use something else because you are too stupid to use Microsoft products.
--
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer