Networking 7 & 10 without home/work groups
Ed Cryer
2018-06-17 17:09:45 UTC
This worked first time for me, one Win7 and three Win10s.
Do the following for each computer.

1. Network & Sharing Centre > Change Advanced Sharing settings.
Turn on Network Discovery, file and printer sharing, sharing so anyone
with network access can read and write files in the public folders.
Turn off password protected sharing.
2. Computer (This PC), Map network drive. Set drive letter (Z default).
Folder set by browse (I chose User/Public).

And that's it.

Ed
Big Al
2018-06-17 17:55:42 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
This worked first time for me, one Win7 and three Win10s.
Do the following for each computer.
1. Network & Sharing Centre > Change Advanced Sharing settings.
Turn on Network Discovery, file and printer sharing, sharing so anyone
with network access can read and write files in the public folders.
Turn off password protected sharing.
2. Computer (This PC), Map network drive. Set drive letter (Z default).
Folder set by browse (I chose User/Public).
And that's it.
Ed
You can also just share you own folders and not Public's. But Public
is okay, at least the files are there, moving them is the trivial part
of it all. :-)
Ed Cryer
2018-06-17 18:07:19 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
This worked first time for me, one Win7 and three Win10s.
Do the following for each computer.
1. Network & Sharing Centre > Change Advanced Sharing settings.
Turn on Network Discovery, file and printer sharing, sharing so anyone
with network access can read and write files in the public folders.
Turn off password protected sharing.
2. Computer (This PC), Map network drive. Set drive letter (Z
default). Folder set by browse (I chose User/Public).
And that's it.
Ed
You can also just share you own folders and not Public's.   But Public
is okay, at least the files are there, moving them is the trivial part
of it all. :-)
I read about a chap who gave up on homegroups and installed MS Garage Mouse;
https://goo.gl/1gi5Yr

Ed
Big Al
2018-06-17 18:12:10 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
[...]
And MS is removing Home Groups from Win 10. So it's a non-issue going
forward.
Ed Cryer
2018-06-17 19:06:36 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
[...]
Aaagghh! You just used my most hated phrase; "going forward".
I might start a "Bring back 'in future' campaign".

Ed (:-
VanguardLH
2018-06-17 18:17:46 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
I read about a chap who gave up on homegroups and installed MS Garage Mouse;
https://goo.gl/1gi5Yr
There are tons of remoting tools that have file transfer. Examples: any
variant of VNC (TightVNC, RealVNC, UltraVNC), Teamviewer, LogMeIn,
mikogo, and Microsoft's own RDP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software
SC Tom
2018-06-18 11:46:01 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
This worked first time for me, one Win7 and three Win10s.
Do the following for each computer.
1. Network & Sharing Centre > Change Advanced Sharing settings.
Turn on Network Discovery, file and printer sharing, sharing so anyone
with network access can read and write files in the public folders.
Turn off password protected sharing.
2. Computer (This PC), Map network drive. Set drive letter (Z default).
Folder set by browse (I chose User/Public).
And that's it.
Ed
You can also just share you own folders and not Public's. But Public is
okay, at least the files are there, moving them is the trivial part of it
all. :-)
I read about a chap who gave up on homegroups and installed MS Garage Mouse;
https://goo.gl/1gi5Yr
Ed
Actually, it's "Mouse without Borders" from the MS Garage :-)

I've used it in the past, but it became very flaky for me. After having to
re-install it a few times to make it work, I gave up.
--
SC Tom