Go to desktop
Nil
2018-07-01 19:20:25 UTC
Is there any key combination that does NOT involve the Windows Key
that will minimize all windows and reveal the desktop? Win+D would be
the best solution of course, unless like me your keyboard does not have
a Win key.
Rene Lamontagne
2018-07-01 19:36:52 UTC
Post by Nil
Is there any key combination that does NOT involve the Windows Key
that will minimize all windows and reveal the desktop? Win+D would be
the best solution of course, unless like me your keyboard does not have
a Win key.
not keyboard, but there is a taskbar setting to do this by dragging the
mouse cursor down to the extreme lower right corner.

Rene
Nil
2018-07-01 21:37:00 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
not keyboard, but there is a taskbar setting to do this by
dragging the mouse cursor down to the extreme lower right corner.
I knew about the little button, but you made me realize I was wasting
effort trying to carefully aim at it before clicking. Now I see I can
just cram the cursor into the corner and click. I don't have to be
precise about it. Thanks!

I still want to do it with they keyboard, though, as I could with
Win+D.
JJ
2018-07-02 02:27:45 UTC
Post by Nil
I still want to do it with they keyboard, though, as I could with
Win+D.
You could use a keyboard mapper software to map e.g. RightCtrl or RightAlt
to a Win key.
Paul
2018-07-02 02:45:08 UTC
Post by JJ
Post by Nil
I still want to do it with they keyboard, though, as I could with
Win+D.
You could use a keyboard mapper software to map e.g. RightCtrl or RightAlt
to a Win key.
There's a few more suggestions here.

https://superuser.com/questions/333445/simulating-the-windows-key-on-an-old-keyboard

Using something like osk.exe (On Screen Keyboard) isn't
really a pleasant answer. And re-mapping has the problem
of preventing something else from using the function later.
Although I don't remember Scroll Lock doing anything useful,
there might be situations where the LED is lit, you want to
turn it off, and because you remapped Scroll Lock, now
you cannot use it. A piece of tape over the LED will
take care of that :-)

If you were an "electronics hobbyist", you'd make
a keyboard PCB with a regular keyboard controller,
but only the Win key hooked up :-) Most of the
chip wouldn't need to be hooked up (the 7+17
scan wires, you'd only need two of those).

2018-07-02 03:28:20 UTC
If you were an "electronics hobbyist", you'd make
a keyboard PCB with a regular keyboard controller,
but only the Win key hooked up :-) Most of the
chip wouldn't need to be hooked up (the 7+17
scan wires, you'd only need two of those).
Paul
https://techkeys.us/products/onekeyboard

https://techkeys.us/collections/keys

I can't find the cable it doesn't include
on their web page for purchase. The little
accessories add up.

But at least someone made a one-key keyboard.

Paul
Nil
2018-07-02 07:35:42 UTC
There's a few more suggestions here.
https://superuser.com/questions/333445/simulating-the-windows-key-o
n-an-old-keyboard
The question asked there is exactly my question, too. I'm about to try
one suggestion from there, remapping the Caps Lock key to Left Windows.
There is a small utility to help do this, rather than editing the
Registry directly. I rarely if ever use Caps Lock, so this might be
acceptable.

I was really hoping to find a built-in 2- or even 3-key combo, but I
guess it doesn't exist in Windows.
Mayayana
2018-07-02 15:55:13 UTC
"Nil" <***@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote

| I was really hoping to find a built-in 2- or even 3-key combo, but I
| guess it doesn't exist in Windows.

This will work but it requires a shortcut on the Desktop.
Put the following in Notepad and save as something like
ShowDesktop.vbs:

Set ShAp = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Shap.MinimizeAll
Set Shap = Nothing

Put the VBS file anywhere. Make a shortcut to it on
the Desktop. Right-click the shortcut and set the
shortcut combo. Note that it must be something
that won't be valid in the active window. I used
Ctl + Alt + 6. I first tried Ctl + Alt + D but Ctl+D
was a shortcut in the active window and that took
over.
Ken Blake
2018-07-02 17:48:03 UTC
On Mon, 02 Jul 2018 03:35:42 -0400, Nil
Post by Nil
Post by Paul
There's a few more suggestions here.
https://superuser.com/questions/333445/simulating-the-windows-key-o
n-an-old-keyboard
The question asked there is exactly my question, too. I'm about to try
one suggestion from there, remapping the Caps Lock key to Left Windows.
There is a small utility to help do this, rather than editing the
Registry directly. I rarely if ever use Caps Lock, so this might be
acceptable.
If you never use Caps Lock, a better solution is to turn it off
entirely.

I use and recommend the free Sharpkeys at
http://www.randyrants.com/category/sharpkeys/

I use it to turn off the two keys I never want to use--Caps Lock and
Insert--keys which I otherwise might hit accidentally.
Zaidy036
2018-07-02 19:23:45 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by Paul
There's a few more suggestions here.
https://superuser.com/questions/333445/simulating-the-windows-key-o
n-an-old-keyboard
The question asked there is exactly my question, too. I'm about to try
one suggestion from there, remapping the Caps Lock key to Left Windows.
There is a small utility to help do this, rather than editing the
Registry directly. I rarely if ever use Caps Lock, so this might be
acceptable.
If you never use Caps Lock, a better solution is to turn it off
entirely.
I use and recommend the free Sharpkeys at
http://www.randyrants.com/category/sharpkeys/
I use it to turn off the two keys I never want to use--Caps Lock and
Insert--keys which I otherwise might hit accidentally.
another option is KewTweak
Zaidy036
Zaidy036
2018-07-02 19:25:39 UTC
another option <https://keytweak.en.softonic.com/>
Zaidy036
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-07-02 19:34:05 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Ken Blake
<***@invalid.news.com> writes:
[]
Post by Ken Blake
If you never use Caps Lock, a better solution is to turn it off
entirely.
I use and recommend the free Sharpkeys at
http://www.randyrants.com/category/sharpkeys/
I use it to turn off the two keys I never want to use--Caps Lock and
Insert--keys which I otherwise might hit accidentally.
I _rarely_ use caps lock, but not never - but I _do_ hit it by mistake.

For which "toggle keys" is most useful - it makes a beep when you do.
(Actually a high beep when you turn it on and a lower one when you turn
it off.)

It's built into Windows - for some reason, it's under the Accessibility
menu (Ease of Access Center | keyboard).

You know what the big secret about posh people is? Most of them are lovely.
- Richard Osman, RT 2016/7/9-15
Mark Lloyd
2018-07-02 14:44:36 UTC
On 07/01/2018 09:45 PM, Paul wrote:

[snip]
Post by Paul
Using something like osk.exe (On Screen Keyboard) isn't
really a pleasant answer. And re-mapping has the problem
of preventing something else from using the function later.
Although I don't remember Scroll Lock doing anything useful,
there might be situations where the LED is lit, you want to
turn it off, and because you remapped Scroll Lock, now
you cannot use it. A piece of tape over the LED will
take care of that :-)
I have a couple of KVM switches and both can be controlled by the keyboard.

ScrollLock - ScrollLock - #

where # is 1 or 2 to select the device.

Also, I once had a DOS screen buffer program that used Scroll Lock to
access the buffer.

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." [Mark Twain]
Mark Lloyd
2018-07-02 14:46:26 UTC

Post by Paul
If you were an "electronics hobbyist", you'd make
a keyboard PCB with a regular keyboard controller,
but only the Win key hooked up :-) Most of the
chip wouldn't need to be hooked up (the 7+17
scan wires, you'd only need two of those).
I might do that, but a new keyboard is likely to be easier and cost less.

mechanic
Interesting tip - thanks!
Wolf K
2018-07-02 12:38:46 UTC
Post by mechanic
Post by Nil
Post by Rene Lamontagne
not keyboard, but there is a taskbar setting to do this by
dragging the mouse cursor down to the extreme lower right
corner.
I knew about the little button, but you made me realize I was
wasting effort trying to carefully aim at it before clicking. Now
I see I can just cram the cursor into the corner and click. I
don't have to be precise about it. Thanks!
I still want to do it with they keyboard, though, as I could with
Win+D.
Interesting tip - thanks!
+1

:-)
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
What you choose to do with your body will, inevitably, have
psychological consequences.
VanguardLH
2018-07-01 20:37:10 UTC
Post by Nil
Is there any key combination that does NOT involve the Windows Key
that will minimize all windows and reveal the desktop? Win+D would be
the best solution of course, unless like me your keyboard does not have
a Win key.
If you use an Aero theme, there should be a "handle" at the right end of
the Windows taskbar that you can either hover over to momentarily see
the desktop (unless you disabled Aero Peek) or click on to toggle
between the desktop and app windows.

Alternatively, right-click on an unused spot on the Windows taskbar and
select "Show the desktop". To toggle back, right-click again on the
Windows taskbar and select "Show open windows".
Nil
2018-07-01 21:31:00 UTC
If you use an Aero theme, there should be a "handle" at the right
end of the Windows taskbar that you can either hover over to
momentarily see the desktop (unless you disabled Aero Peek) or
click on to toggle between the desktop and app windows.
Alternatively, right-click on an unused spot on the Windows
taskbar and select "Show the desktop". To toggle back,
right-click again on the Windows taskbar and select "Show open
windows".
Yeah, I know about the little button, but I want to do it without
moving from keyboard to mouse. Also, the button is inconveniently
small. I didn't know about the right-click taskbar thing, though. It's
not what I'm looking for, but it's maybe better than the button.
Thanks.
VanguardLH
2018-07-02 06:01:09 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by VanguardLH
If you use an Aero theme, there should be a "handle" at the right
end of the Windows taskbar that you can either hover over to
momentarily see the desktop (unless you disabled Aero Peek) or
click on to toggle between the desktop and app windows.
Alternatively, right-click on an unused spot on the Windows
taskbar and select "Show the desktop". To toggle back,
right-click again on the Windows taskbar and select "Show open
windows".
Yeah, I know about the little button, but I want to do it without
moving from keyboard to mouse. Also, the button is inconveniently
small. I didn't know about the right-click taskbar thing, though. It's
not what I'm looking for, but it's maybe better than the button.
Thanks.
There used to be a QuickLaunch shortcut (back when there was a Windows
taskbar toolbar called Quicklaunch although you can create one by that
or any other name) called Show Desktop. To have it again, load Notepad
and enter the following in it:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[taskbar]
Command=toggleDesktop

Save the file as "Show Desktop.scf" or by any filename you want but be
sure the extension is scf. Move that shortcut wherever you want, like
into a Windows taskbar toolbar. Alas, all it does is the same as
hitting Winkey+M, and that is to minimize all windows. Clicking it
again does not restore all previously open windows.

New keyboards are cheap, like a couple dollars. Maybe it's time to get
a keyboard with the Windows key (aka Winkey). It's similar to Mac users
that just must have the Cmd key on their keyboards.

How often do you use the CapsLock key? Probably very rarely. Anyone
typing in all caps is considered yelling hence rude. You could remap
the CapsLock key to effect the Winkey+D action of toggling windows.

Maybe this remapper from Microsoft would work:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22339

There are lots of keyboard remap tools. I found one article that has
you do the registry hack to remap the CapsLock key to act like the
Winkey, so you would use CapsLock+D to toggle the windows.

https://superuser.com/questions/333445/simulating-the-windows-key-on-an-old-keyboard

You're probably safer using a remapper tool to define the keyboard
layout in the registry. There is the KeyTweak tool. It's dated and I
couldn't find its author had adedicated site and only found it at
download sites, like:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/KeyTweak.shtml
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/keytweak.html

I've heard of but never used the SharpKeys remapper tool.
https://github.com/randyrants/sharpkeys
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sharpkeys
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/map-any-key-to-any-key-on-windows-xp-vista/

That last article shows how to remap a key using SharpKeys. Alas, in
their tutorial on how to add a remap, I did not see Winkey listed in the
visible part of the "Map this key (From key)" list. The pic only showed
some of the keys that could be remapped.

Key Mapper is similar in function (remap keys) but is more graphical in
that you drag the keys around to remap them. You drag a key off them
off the window and by dragging the key you want atop the key you want to
remap. That one groups keys by category. My guess is the Winkey is
under the Modifier Keys group but you'd have to search around to see if
it lets you drag the Winkey in its display atop the CapsLock key or
whatever you want to become the new WinKey.

Hunting around for a key[board] remap[per] should let you find something
you like. If none let you remap the Winkey to another key, you'll need
something more robust, like AutoHotkey, but that means the software has
to always be running to intercept the keyboard's scan codes.

There are keyboard macro tools, like AutoIt and AutoHotkey, but they are
overkill when all you want is to change the keyboard layout defined in
the registry to make your keyboard look like the keys are different than
what is normally associated with their scan code (each press of a key
sends a scan code as well as each release of a key sends a different
scan code from the hardware to the OS). Of course, with a keyboard
macro tool, you can define any key combo to perform any action, so you
could have some hotkey that does Ctrl+D (as long as the keyboard macro
tool has the window toggle function to assign to a key combo).
Nil
2018-07-02 07:10:20 UTC
New keyboards are cheap, like a couple dollars. Maybe it's time
to get a keyboard with the Windows key (aka Winkey). It's similar
to Mac users that just must have the Cmd key on their keyboards.
I've gone through two fairly expensive modern tactile keyboards with
Win keys in recent times. Both failed within a couple of years, the
last one just a few days ago. I "temporarily" went back to my good ol'
IBM Model M. I have 4 of these that I retrieved from the dumpster when
my company threw them all out in the late '90s. Typing on it is a
pleasure, like going home to mom's comfort cooking. Plus, it's
unkillable. It does everything I want... except the functionality of
Win+D. So, no, I'm not in the market for a cheap keyboard, Windows key
or no.

I'll check in to the remappers, thanks.
mechanic
2018-07-02 11:17:52 UTC
Post by Nil
I'll check in to the remappers, thanks.
KeyTweak seems to do the job even on Win10 although written for
earlier systems.
Wolf K
2018-07-02 12:37:40 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by VanguardLH
New keyboards are cheap, like a couple dollars. Maybe it's time
to get a keyboard with the Windows key (aka Winkey). It's similar
to Mac users that just must have the Cmd key on their keyboards.
I've gone through two fairly expensive modern tactile keyboards with
Win keys in recent times. Both failed within a couple of years, the
last one just a few days ago. I "temporarily" went back to my good ol'
IBM Model M. I have 4 of these that I retrieved from the dumpster when
my company threw them all out in the late '90s. Typing on it is a
pleasure, like going home to mom's comfort cooking. Plus, it's
unkillable. It does everything I want... except the functionality of
Win+D. So, no, I'm not in the market for a cheap keyboard, Windows key
or no.
I'll check in to the remappers, thanks.
I have a Logitech K120 keyboard that is now getting on for 10 years old
(I inherited it, don't know exact age). Has a Win key, too. :-)

Nice touch, but not as nice as the IBM models.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-07-02 20:07:01 UTC
Post by Nil
last one just a few days ago. I "temporarily" went back to my good ol'
IBM Model M. I have 4 of these that I retrieved from the dumpster when
my company threw them all out in the late '90s. Typing on it is a
pleasure, like going home to mom's comfort cooking. Plus, it's
unkillable. It does everything I want... except the functionality of
Win+D. So, no, I'm not in the market for a cheap keyboard, Windows key
[]
For those for whom the important thing is the audible feedback, I
recommend Noisy Keyboard from http://leeos.tripod.com/. I first tried
this just as a novelty, but have now grown so used to it that I miss it
when I use another machine. Works with any keyboard, even ones _with_
Windows keys (-:

live your dash. ... On your tombstone, there's the date you're born and the
date you die - and in between there's a dash. - a friend quoted by Dustin
Hoffman in Radio Times, 5-11 January 2013
VanguardLH
2018-07-02 20:43:03 UTC
Post by Nil
last one just a few days ago. I "temporarily" went back to my good ol'
IBM Model M. I have 4 of these that I retrieved from the dumpster when
my company threw them all out in the late '90s. Typing on it is a
pleasure, like going home to mom's comfort cooking. Plus, it's
unkillable. It does everything I want... except the functionality of
Win+D. So, no, I'm not in the market for a cheap keyboard, Windows key
[]
For those for whom the important thing is the audible feedback, I
recommend Noisy Keyboard from http://leeos.tripod.com/. I first tried
this just as a novelty, but have now grown so used to it that I miss it
when I use another machine. Works with any keyboard, even ones _with_
There are also mechanical keyboards if you want that style of tactile
feedback. However, they're much more pricey than the rubber membrane
keyboards if all you want is to get the Window keys on the keyboard.

I had an old Northgate keyboard that I could bang on with a hammer. If
I did ever manage to damage a key, it could be unsoldered from the PCB
and replaced. Eventually PCs no longer came with the 5-pin DIN
connector. At first, I missed the clackety clack of the Northgate but
now I much prefer a quieter keyboard. I also rarely listen to my stereo
these days. I turn it on occasionally to check it still works.
Nil
2018-07-02 21:34:49 UTC
For those for whom the important thing is the audible feedback, I
recommend Noisy Keyboard from http://leeos.tripod.com/. I first
tried this just as a novelty, but have now grown so used to it
that I miss it when I use another machine. Works with any
The noise isn't very important to me, but the mechanical feel is. After
re-acquainting myself with my old IBM keyboard, I'm loving its feel,
but I'm starting to get a little annoyed with the noise. It didn't used
to bother me, but maybe my previous (now dead) keyboard has me used to
something quieter. The IBM is too loud, but worse is the little jingle
of the springs. I don't hear that when there's music or other noise in
the room, but when it's quiet it tends to put my teeth on edge after a
while.

Oh, and I remapped my Caps Lock the a Windows key, and it seems to be
an acceptable workaround for me. If I find that I need Caps Lock more
often, I'll try using another expendable key like Scroll Lock or Print
Screen. The advantage of Caps Lock is that I can hit it and D with one
hand.
NY
2018-07-02 22:46:31 UTC
After re-acquainting myself with my old IBM keyboard, I'm loving its feel,
but I'm starting to get a little annoyed with the noise. It didn't used
to bother me, but maybe my previous (now dead) keyboard has me used to
something quieter. The IBM is too loud, but worse is the little jingle
of the springs. I don't hear that when there's music or other noise in
the room, but when it's quiet it tends to put my teeth on edge after a
while.
I remember those noisy IBM keyboards. I think anyone using one of them in
the earshot of anyone else would make themselves *very* unpopular. I find
the noise of mechanical clicking almost as irritating as the sound of
someone eating or cleaning their teeth with their mouth open, in the same
way that other people find the noise of chalk on a blackboard irritating.

My laptop has a nice quiet keyboard but unfortunately the touchpad mouse
buttons are very noisy, with a very irritating mechanical click. What is
frustrating is that when I tried a very similar model in a shop before
ordering mine online, it had buttons that had plenty of travel but without
any click.
Nil
2018-07-03 00:20:41 UTC
Post by NY
I remember those noisy IBM keyboards. I think anyone using one of
them in the earshot of anyone else would make themselves *very*
unpopular.
Well, I worked for years in an office with dozens of people tapping
away on keyboards just like this, and it didn't seem to be a problem
back then. I'm sure I'd feel differently now. In my case, my home
office/studio is isolated enough that I don't think noise is much of a
problem to anyone except possibly me.

I type more accurately on a mechanical keyboard. Probably because I
learned to type on a manual typewriter.
Zo
2018-07-02 13:55:55 UTC
Post by Nil
Is there any key combination that does NOT involve the Windows Key
that will minimize all windows and reveal the desktop? Win+D would be
the best solution of course, unless like me your keyboard does not have
a Win key.
Maybe this one will help?

WinHotKey

Use this simple, yet powerful application to assign a custom
combination of keys for a large variety of tasks in order to eliminate
repetition from your work

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Launchers-Shutdown-Tools/WinHotKey.shtml
--
Zo

"Ladies, leave your clothes here and spend the afternoon having a good
time." -- A sign in a laundry in Rome.
Mayayana
2018-07-02 17:04:51 UTC
"Nil" <***@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote

| Is there any key combination that does NOT involve the Windows Key
| that will minimize all windows and reveal the desktop? Win+D would be
| the best solution of course, unless like me your keyboard does not have
| a Win key.

I posted this earlier and it hasn't shown up.
Using AIOE. I'm also finding that ES is not working
at all today. Anyway, I'm trying to post again.
----------------

over.
Nil
2018-07-02 17:25:07 UTC
Post by Mayayana
I posted this earlier and it hasn't shown up.
Using AIOE. I'm also finding that ES is not working
at all today. Anyway, I'm trying to post again.
I must have escaped aioe because I saw it earlier. I'll give it a shot.
It needs to be a toggle - activate it once to show the desktop,
activate it again to restore all windows. We shall see...

Thank you.
----------------
over.
Mayayana
2018-07-02 21:29:52 UTC
"Nil" <***@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote

| It needs to be a toggle - activate it once to show the desktop,
| activate it again to restore all windows. We shall see...

Now you tell me. :) That can be done, too, but it's
a bit more sloppy.
Below is an altered version. It writes a text file
to C:\ and records 1 when minimizing or 0 when
restoring. By checking what was recorded last time
it can do the opposite the next time. But it restores
windows to previous locations. In other words, the min
step remembers the existing window locations.
If you minimize, then do lots of things, then decide
later in the day that you want all windows maxed then
it probably won't fully work.

Writing a file may seem like a lot of work for such
a small task, but it's pretty much instant. I don't know
of a better way to track which state is current. While
Shell will min and max all windows, if you try to access
all windows to see what state they're in, you only get
IE and Explorer instances. In other words, Shell doesn't
have a property to tell you the state of all currently open
windows.

You also need permission, of course, to write the file.
But this works flawlessly on my system.

The Shell object is a light wrapper around Explorer.
It allows various operations in script or programming
that mimic Explorer behavior.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb774094%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

'----Begin script -----------------------------------------
Dim s, ShAp, FSO, TS, IsMin
Set ShAp = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
On Error Resume Next
Set TS = FSO.OpenTextFile("C:\minrec.txt", 1, True)
s = TS.ReadAll
TS.Close
Set TS = Nothing
Set TS = FSO.OpenTextFile("C:\minrec.txt", 2, True)
If Len(s) = 0 Or s = "0" Then
IsMin = False
TS.Write "1"
Else
IsMin = True
TS.Write "0"
End If
TS.Close
Set TS = Nothing
Set FSO = nothnig

If IsMin = False Then
ShAp.MinimizeAll
Else
ShAp.UndoMinimizeALL
End If

Set ShAp = Nothing

'---------------------------
Zaidy036
2018-07-02 19:59:15 UTC
Post by Nil
Is there any key combination that does NOT involve the Windows Key
that will minimize all windows and reveal the desktop? Win+D would be
the best solution of course, unless like me your keyboard does not have
a Win key.
look at this cheap NewEgg offer

<https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=23-225-016&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ShellShocker&cm_mmc=EMC-SD072018-_-SD070118-_-Item-_-23-225-016&et_cid=43995&et_rid=46997&et_p1=&email64=RXJpY0BCbG9jaC5jb20=>
Zaidy036
XS11E
2018-07-05 18:02:41 UTC
Post by Nil
Is there any key combination that does NOT involve the Windows Key
that will minimize all windows and reveal the desktop? Win+D would
be the best solution of course, unless like me your keyboard does
not have a Win key.
Keyboards are cheap, is there some reason you don't want to replace
your present keyboard?
The Usenet Improvement Project:
Nil
2018-07-05 19:21:13 UTC
Post by XS11E
Post by Nil
Is there any key combination that does NOT involve the Windows Key
that will minimize all windows and reveal the desktop? Win+D would
be the best solution of course, unless like me your keyboard does
not have a Win key.
Keyboards are cheap, is there some reason you don't want to replace
your present keyboard?
Yes, there is, and I discussed it elsewhere in this thread. In
short, the keyboard I would want is *not* cheap, and I already
have an excellent keyboard that I like except for its lack of a
Win key.
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
XS11E
2018-07-06 03:46:58 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by XS11E
Post by Nil
Is there any key combination that does NOT involve the Windows
Key that will minimize all windows and reveal the desktop? Win+D
would be the best solution of course, unless like me your
keyboard does not have a Win key.
Keyboards are cheap, is there some reason you don't want to
replace your present keyboard?
Yes, there is, and I discussed it elsewhere in this thread. In
short, the keyboard I would want is *not* cheap, and I already
have an excellent keyboard that I like except for its lack of a
Win key.
Sorry, I missed that before. The IBM keyboards are still made, some
with the Win Key and they are very uncheap!

I prefer them myself but here's the good news, my stock cheap HP keyboard,
model KU0841, PN 505080-371 has almost the same feel and click as the IBM and is very inexpensive on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-KU-0841-Multimedia-Keyboard-Very-Good-6419/253326982058?hash=item3afb76fbaa:g:0HgAAOSwUoNaPp3p

I'm currently using it in preference to the genuine IBM clicky type.

As always, your mileage may vary..
The Usenet Improvement Project: