Figured it out ! - How to open a file with a program.
2018-06-17 23:47:45 UTC
In message <pg5jm5$5d1$***@gioia.aioe.org>, R.Wieser
<***@not.available> writes:
[]
-- *right*-mouse click -> "open with" -> "choose program" (or, if you done
that before for that filetype, select from the shortlist just above it)
You can also change the default program by the above rightclick option, as
[]
But notice the "Always use this program for this kind of file" checkbox
there. If you want the program you are selecting to become the default
than tick that box. If you do not want that to happen than untick it
(duh).
Warning: If there is no default program specified yet the box will be
pre-ticked. If you already have a default program the box will remain
unticked.
[]
There used to be a hack (I forget whether it was a registry one or
something else) for XP that would make sure the "always use" box was
_always_ UNticked. Is there something similar for 7 (and if so, what is
it)? I often want to try several things with a recalcitrant file (video
files are probably the commonest), and it's so easy to accidentally set
(or change) the default.

Anything you add for security will slow the computer but it shouldn't be
significant or prolonged. Security software is to protect the computer, not
the primary use of the computer.
- VanguardLH in alt.windows7.general, 2018-1-28
R.Wieser
2018-06-18 07:13:25 UTC
John,
There used to be a hack something else) for XP that would make sure the
"always use" box was _always_ UNticked.
Thanks for making me remember I also want to do that. :-)
Is there something similar for 7
While looking for the XP method I seem to have found the W7 method too:

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-disable-always-use-the-selected-program-to-open-this-kind-of-file-option-in-open-with-dialog-box/

Regards,
Rudy Wieser
R.Wieser
2018-06-18 07:27:45 UTC
John,
It looks like I spoke too soon.

Those methods will *disable* that tickbox, meaning that you can't (re)assign
a filetype, even if you would want to ... :-(

Regards,
Rudy Wieser
SC Tom
2018-06-18 11:23:41 UTC
Post by R.Wieser
John,
It looks like I spoke too soon.
Those methods will *disable* that tickbox, meaning that you can't
(re)assign a filetype, even if you would want to ... :-(
Regards,
Rudy Wieser
At the very end of the article and before the ads and comments, it say:

"BONUS TIP: This tutorial can also be used in reverse condition. e.g. if
this checkbox is already disabled in your Windows and you want to enable it,
then you can remove the %2 mentioned in Method A or set value of DWORD value
to 0 as mentioned in Method B."

I haven't tried it, so cannot verify if it works or not.
SC Tom
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-18 12:33:06 UTC
[Now making the "always use this prog. to open this sort of file"
default to UN-ticked.]
Post by SC Tom
Post by R.Wieser
John,
It looks like I spoke too soon.
Those methods will *disable* that tickbox, meaning that you can't
(re)assign a filetype, even if you would want to ... :-(
Regards,
Rudy Wieser
I remember discovering that too, now you mention it.
Post by SC Tom
"BONUS TIP: This tutorial can also be used in reverse condition. e.g.
if this checkbox is already disabled in your Windows and you want to
enable it, then you can remove the %2 mentioned in Method A or set
value of DWORD value to 0 as mentioned in Method B."
I haven't tried it, so cannot verify if it works or not.

... the pleasure of the mind is an amazing thing. My life has been driven by
the satisfaction of curiosity. - Jeremy Paxman (being interviewed by Anne
Widdecombe), Radio Times, 2-8 July 2011.
R.Wieser
2018-06-18 13:21:39 UTC
John,
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by R.Wieser
Those methods will *disable* that tickbox, meaning that you can't
(re)assign a filetype, even if you would want to ... :-(
I remember discovering that too, now you mention it.
While I was looking for the "keep unticked" method I also stumbled over an
old conversation of yours, and not getting a usable answer there either.
:-\

I've also tried to find if the OpenAs_RunDLL functuion would accept any
argument switches, but alas. Al it seems to accept is the filename. I did
find a setting to skip the "search on the web" dialog (untested), but
nothing else.

Though there was an answer which would maybe be something for you you:
instead of using "Open with" you could use "Send to". That one you can
populate which whatever executable you want (scripts too).

Another way could possibly be to replace the "openas" command in the
registry by a (vb)script (as you indicated that you did not want to use
third-party programs) which would only offer the "find an executable" part
(no easy, "you have used these executables before for this filetype"
selection) - and possibly linking thru to the origional method when nothing
is selected (also needed to permanently change a link).

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

R.Wieser
2018-06-18 12:53:08 UTC
SC Tom,
Post by SC Tom
"BONUS TIP: This tutorial can also be used in reverse condition.
That certainly works (I tried the method and removed the change), but that
was not quite the sought-for effect.

What John was looking for - and I would like as well - was to keep the
tickmark box to be always unticked initially.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser
Mayayana
2018-06-18 13:13:56 UTC
"R.Wieser" <***@not.available> wrote

| While looking for the XP method I seem to have found the W7 method too:

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-disable-always-use-the-selected-program-to-open-this-kind-of-file-option-in-open-with-dialog-box/

I have the checkbox unchecked by default on XP,
but I don't have either of those Registry settings.
Nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know how it
was done.