Naiveté
masonc
2018-04-05 18:59:35 UTC
Anti-virus programs from where? Russia, China, Romania, Bulgari ??
Are you kidding?

What's the best Made-in-America safe anti-virus program?
Bob_S
2018-04-06 02:01:10 UTC
Post by masonc
Anti-virus programs from where? Russia, China, Romania, Bulgari ??
Are you kidding?
What's the best Made-in-America safe anti-virus program?
That’s like asking "What came first, chicken or the egg?"

Each month there are tests performed by labs like
https://www.av-test.org/en/ that test many (but not all) antivirus products
and suites that offer AV, Malware detection and numerous other methods for
helping users stay safe on the internet. For 2017, Symantec took the honors
along with Bitdefender for Best Protection. You can read more about how they
test on the link I provided.

You will get many opinions on these from freeware, open source to commercial
products. I've probably tried a good share of the name brand products in
the past 20 years but the ones that I recommend to my clients and that I use
myself that have proven reliable and most useful are:

1. Norton Security (Symantec)
2. MalwareBytes Premium

Norton used to be a resource hog a few years back and got a bad reputation
for being bloated with a lot of add-on tools. No longer. It is lean and
mean and does a great job for all things pertaining to internet security.

MalwareBytes covers the phishing attempts, drive-by web sites and a host of
other nasty's that you don't want on your system.

Both have their excellent points and some minor irritants and both are
available as trials from their sites:

https://us.norton.com/
https://www.malwarebytes.com/

So far none of my clients systems have been ransacked by a virus, malware or
ransomware during the past two years. I have both installed on my systems
because I support both but if you had to chose only - go with MalwareBytes
and get the 30 day trial version to try it out. The free version does not
provide active monitoring.

Also - shop the price. You can find MalwareBytes 3PC's for 1 year usually
for $39 and lower and I've purchased Norton Internet Security for 10 devices
for $49.
Bob S.
Jack Fate
2018-04-06 13:30:32 UTC
That's easy. The rooster came first.
JJ
2018-04-06 15:27:20 UTC
Post by Jack Fate
Post by Bob_S
That’s like asking "What came first, chicken or the egg?"
That's easy. The rooster came first.
I concur.
If egg came first, Adam would've named every aves and reptiles, as "egg".
mechanic
2018-04-06 10:35:11 UTC
Windows Defender.
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2018-04-06 13:29:17 UTC
Post by mechanic
Post by masonc
What's the best Made-in-America safe anti-virus program?
Windows Defender.
Not if someone is using WIn 7. Micro$oft Security Essential only?
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不賭錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):
FredW
2018-04-06 13:54:57 UTC
Post by mechanic
Post by masonc
What's the best Made-in-America safe anti-virus program?
Windows Defender.
ROTFL
Fred W. (nld)
Erholt Rhein
2018-04-28 04:50:26 UTC
Post by FredW
Post by mechanic
Post by masonc
What's the best Made-in-America safe anti-virus program?
Windows Defender.
ROTFL
--
Fred W. (nld)
This Fred is the classic troll named Snit.
Notice this Fred can't add anything of any value.
Ever.

He's _that_ stupid!

masonc
2018-04-06 10:43:31 UTC
Post by masonc
Anti-virus programs from where? Russia, China, Romania, Bulgari ??
Are you kidding?
What's the best Made-in-America safe anti-virus program?
Clarification: If I were Russia, I would provide the very best,
free anti-virus program, based not in Russia.

Then I would wait for the right time to cause a catastrophe.

Along with shutting down the U.S. internet.
Bob_S
2018-04-06 23:15:41 UTC
Post by masonc
Post by masonc
Anti-virus programs from where? Russia, China, Romania, Bulgari ??
Are you kidding?
What's the best Made-in-America safe anti-virus program?
Clarification: If I were Russia, I would provide the very best,
free anti-virus program, based not in Russia.
Then I would wait for the right time to cause a catastrophe.
Along with shutting down the U.S. internet.
Hmmmm, I thought you were asking a serious question but obviously not. We
won't bother waste our time on you in the future.

Learn to do some research.
Bob S.
s|b
2018-04-06 20:14:55 UTC
Post by masonc
Anti-virus programs from where? Russia, China, Romania, Bulgari ??
Are you kidding?
What's the best Made-in-America safe anti-virus program?
The Patriot Act?
s|b
Jeff Barnett
2018-04-07 02:52:38 UTC
Post by masonc
Anti-virus programs from where? Russia, China, Romania, Bulgari ??
Are you kidding?
What's the best Made-in-America safe anti-virus program?
Well you might want to check some products of these fine American
institutions: Enron, Trump University (a good old education based
supplier), Facebook, etc. You can't beat buying at home for safety. It
really isn't a good strategy; rather, you need to invest some time and
effort to pick among products and avoid silly assumptions. One tip I
offer is be willing to PAY a reasonable amount for a good product. If
you are not paying enough, the provider will need to make their expense
money on the other end of the transaction and that's where a lot of
problems creep in.
Jeff Barnett
Wolf K
2018-04-07 12:47:10 UTC
On 2018-04-06 22:52, Jeff Barnett wrote:
[...]
If you are not paying enough, the provider will need to make their
expense money on the other end of the transaction and that's where a lot
of problems creep in.
Well said.

I really don't understand people who expect to get stuff for free. At
the very least, they're freeloading on the people who pay. At the other
extreme, they're selling themselves to the supplier.
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
weeks ago."
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-07 17:22:54 UTC
Post by Wolf K
[...]
If you are not paying enough, the provider will need to make their
expense money on the other end of the transaction and that's where a
lot of problems creep in.
Well said.
I really don't understand people who expect to get stuff for free. At
the very least, they're freeloading on the people who pay. At the other
extreme, they're selling themselves to the supplier.
I agree - though in the case of some things, like a lot of good-quality
free software, the originator _is_ a good-hearted person (and it's
usually a person). If I find I use and appreciate such software a lot, I
sometimes do make a donation, though not often enough. (In _some_ cases,
the originator doesn't make any provision to accept donations!)

On the other aspect, selling themselves to the supplier, though: I
presume you mean cases where the product (whatever it is) _seems_ to be
free, but you yield something, such as by letting data on you be
collected. In those cases, _if_ the provider is dishonest - or at least
misleading - about what they're doing, and people manage to circumvent
it, then I think that's fair: I don't mind honest solicitation for
donations, but I don't think much of concealed data-gathering, PUPs, or
similar.

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
Good Guy
2018-04-07 02:58:25 UTC
Post by masonc
Anti-virus programs from where? Russia, China, Romania, Bulgari ??
Are you kidding?
What's the best Made-in-America safe anti-virus program?
Windows Defender is already mentioned but you can also try:

McAfee
Symantec

I have used all of them and recommend them to users here.
Post by masonc
Windows Defender software.
//https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/comprehensive-security/