Monitor With Red Coloring On Boot
maury
2018-08-07 10:08:13 UTC
My monitor has a reddish tinge on the lower screen when I boot. It
only appears on boot while showing the advertising for the
motherboard. It does not show when the boot is finished and Windows is
showing. In the last few weeks the reddish color has advanced upwards
towards the center.

Has anyone experienced this with their monitor? (It is an old
monitor.)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-08-07 10:53:44 UTC
Post by maury
My monitor has a reddish tinge on the lower screen when I boot. It
only appears on boot while showing the advertising for the
motherboard. It does not show when the boot is finished and Windows is
showing. In the last few weeks the reddish color has advanced upwards
towards the center.
Has anyone experienced this with their monitor? (It is an old
monitor.)
Is it a CRT? If so, maybe it needs degaussing. Some CRT devices
(monitors and TVs) have power-on degaussing (sometimes detectable as an
audible thump when turning on); this may have failed on yours. You used
to be able to get degaussers - basically just a coil, fed with AC, that
you moved _carefully_ around the tube - don't blame me if you borrow one
and make it worse though!

When you say it doesn't show when Windows is showing, are you sure -
have you tried any of the numerous free monitor-testing utilities, that
give you full-screen white, black, red, blue, green, horizontal lines,
vertical lines? (I've just googled for you, and the one at
https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/monitor_test_utility,1.html
seems to pack a lot into 392KB; just run it, click pattern test, and
space through the patterns.)

If it _isn't_ a CRT, it's puzzling: maybe some RAM in the video card,
and/or the driver chips to it, is fading (still working except during
the first few seconds). Do you see the same effect with another monitor
connected to the same PC?

The "advertising for the motherboard" can often be suppressed - look on
it for text such as "press Fx to see boot information". Or there may be
a BIOS setting to suppress it - often called a "splash screen".

I don't see the requirement to upset people. ... There's enough to make fun of
without offending. - Ronnie Corbett, in Radio Times 6-12 August 2011.
Mark Lloyd
2018-08-07 14:39:53 UTC
Post by maury
My monitor has a reddish tinge on the lower screen when I boot. It
only appears on boot while showing the advertising for the
motherboard. It does not show when the boot is finished and Windows is
showing. In the last few weeks the reddish color has advanced upwards
towards the center.
Has anyone experienced this with their monitor? (It is an old
monitor.)
IIRC, a neighbor had that problem. Standard DE15 (15-pin VGA) connector
has separate pins for red, green, and blue. The blue (or green) pin was
bent and not making contact.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"All religions are founded on the fear of the many and the cleverness of
the few." -- Marie Henri Beyle (Stendhal)
VanguardLH
2018-08-07 23:01:15 UTC
Post by maury
My monitor has a reddish tinge on the lower screen when I boot. It
only appears on boot while showing the advertising for the
motherboard. It does not show when the boot is finished and Windows is
showing. In the last few weeks the reddish color has advanced upwards
towards the center.
Has anyone experienced this with their monitor? (It is an old
monitor.)
By "old" do you mean it is a CRT (cathode ray tube) type? Or is it an
old LED monitor? Pretty easy to tell by depth and weight if it's a CRT.
CRTs don't last forever. They begin to lose their intensity (not enough
electrons coming off the heater), so users up the brightness but also
lowers the contrast. A shop can overheat the heater to burn off the
crud but that risks burning out the heater. Timings will drift over
time with CRTs.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/CRT_picture_discolouration

Do you have only one video output from your computer? If not, like you
have a video card and onboard video on the motherboard, you could try
switching the monitor to the other video output. First check the BIOS
to see if you need to switch which video output to use: some will
auto-switch but some don't so you need to change the BIOS setting.
Could be a video card or onboard controller going bad rather than the
monitor.

That the red tinge disappears after the POST screen disappears could be
the defect only occurs at the lower video resolution during bootup.
With CRTs, you had to adjust positioning and other controls at the
different resolutions. Resolution at boot depends on what you BIOS
uses. "Old" doesn't say how old is your computer. I thought VGA
(640x480) was used at boot-time to display the POST and BIOS screens.
After you load Windows, the video resolution changes to whatever you
selected which is likely higher than VGA mode, so the tinging goes away.
Either you can halt the boot at the POST screen and play with the
monitor's controls to adjust timings at that time or you can go into
Windows and change the video resolution down to 640x480 to see if the
red tinging reappears.

"Old" gives no clue WHAT you have. Give the brand and model of monitor,
and computer (or the mobo if you built the PC), and video card is you're
not using onboard video.
m***@invalid.com
2018-08-15 22:12:59 UTC
Post by maury
My monitor has a reddish tinge on the lower screen when I boot. It
only appears on boot while showing the advertising for the
motherboard. It does not show when the boot is finished and Windows is
showing. In the last few weeks the reddish color has advanced upwards
towards the center.
Has anyone experienced this with their monitor? (It is an old
monitor.)
Problem solved!

After a few weeks of the reddish tinge during boot mentioned above,
the monitor yesterday started flashing between bright and dim a few
times.. Today it went bye-bye. Problem solved!