TBird will not accept password !
Filbert
2018-05-25 20:38:09 UTC
GMail IMAP account.

Says needs to enter password.
I do and it rejects it.

Other GMail accounts work fine on this PC with TBird.

Went to a different PC and that one woks with that GMail account.

I dumped the passwords and I am using the password that shows in the dump.
The password is as expectd.

So why is TBird rejecting my password.
CAPS LOCK was off !

Other PC with this account shows notice from GMail of attempted access.
Good Guy
2018-05-25 21:53:28 UTC
Post by Filbert
Other PC with this account shows notice from GMail of attempted access.
In that case you need to login to your gmail account using Mozilla
Firefox and mark this as you are the one trying to break into your own
account. GMAIL is very clever; It can sniff out all idiots and nutters
trying to use a Windows System. You need to put a stop to this.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Post by Filbert
Windows Defender software.
//https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/comprehensive-security/
2018-05-25 22:24:11 UTC
Post by Filbert
GMail IMAP account.
Says needs to enter password.
I do and it rejects it.
Other GMail accounts work fine on this PC with TBird.
Went to a different PC and that one woks with that GMail account.
I dumped the passwords and I am using the password that shows in the dump.
The password is as expectd.
So why is TBird rejecting my password.
CAPS LOCK was off !
Other PC with this account shows notice from GMail of attempted access.
Try this:

Options - Security - Saved Passwords - Show Passwords - highlight and
delete the password that won't stick.

Shut down Tbird, restart, and enter the password when asked.

This works more often than not, but no guarantees.
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and
what is right to do. Potter Stewart
Filbert
2018-05-25 23:31:50 UTC
I will try that later today. not at that PC right now.

I noticed that the GMail in the passwords list had more that one entry
with the other entry having a long random looking password.

Several other GMail accounts show both the expected and the long random
password.

Those other accounts work OK.

But what is this strange password shown in password list ?
Ralph Fox
2018-05-26 06:54:30 UTC
Post by Filbert
I noticed that the GMail in the passwords list had more that one entry
with the other entry having a long random looking password.
Several other GMail accounts show both the expected and the long random
password.
Those other accounts work OK.
But what is this strange password shown in password list ?
See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1174045

Is the random-looking password over 40 characters long?

And does the corresponding site in the "Site" column
begin with "oauth://" instead of "imap://" or "smtp://" ?

If so, that is an OAuth 2.0 authentication password for
this copy of Thunderbird.

Q.1) In Thunderbird's server settings for those Gmail accounts,
what is the "Authentication method" set to? Likely choices
for Gmail would be "Normal password" and "OAuth2".

One reason for using OAuth2 is that Google considers it to be more
secure. When "Allow less secure apps" is turned OFF, Gmail will still
accept OAuth2 authentication from Thunderbird. But Gmail will not
accept "Normal password" with your ordinary Google account password.

When you change "Authentication method" to OAuth2, you will get a
pop-up where you fill in your Google credentials. Thunderbird then
gets a long OAuth2 credential from Google and saves it.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
☠️Good Guy☠️
2018-05-26 17:15:43 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
When you change "Authentication method" to OAuth2, you will get a
pop-up where you fill in your Google credentials. Thunderbird then
gets a long OAuth2 credential from Google and saves it.
The problem is "Windows10Hater" aka "Filbert" doesn't know that GMAIL
will always reject login from a device that is new within the last 28
days. The solution is to login using the web-based interface using that
device so that it is registered on its servers. You can try it using
other device that you haven't used before to login on GMAIL or even use
another OS to login. You'll get the same problem.

I check my emails once every month and I have to pass through various
security features to get in because I didn't use the same device in the
last 28 days. I can post a picture where this is stated in Black &
White but the OP is very thick to understand anything here!!!!!!!.

This is the rule and there is nothing anybody can do about it.
Eagle
2018-05-26 00:11:23 UTC
Post by Wolf K
Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and
what is right to do. Potter Stewart
I don't have the right to back-stab my colleagues (it is against company
policy). But it is the right thing to do to advance my career, whenever
I can get away with it.
Wolf K
2018-05-26 00:57:21 UTC
Post by Eagle
Post by Wolf K
Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do
and what is right to do. Potter Stewart
I don't have the right to back-stab my colleagues (it is against company
policy). But it is the right thing to do to advance my career, whenever
I can get away with it.
it's the expedient to do, not the right thing.
Diesel
2018-05-26 03:19:18 UTC
Post by Filbert
GMail IMAP account.
Says needs to enter password.
I do and it rejects it.
Other GMail accounts work fine on this PC with TBird.
Went to a different PC and that one woks with that GMail account.
I dumped the passwords and I am using the password that shows in
the dump. The password is as expectd.
So why is TBird rejecting my password.
CAPS LOCK was off !
Your tbird profile is fuxored up. Create a new one and try again. If it
works with the new profile, you may be able to migrate some of your
stuff from the old one to the new one.
--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:
I let my mind go wandering in search of my heart.
The Real GLOBALIST
2018-05-27 12:41:53 UTC
Post by Filbert
GMail IMAP account.
Says needs to enter password.
I do and it rejects it.
Other GMail accounts work fine on this PC with TBird.
Went to a different PC and that one woks with that GMail account.
I dumped the passwords and I am using the password that shows in the dump.
The password is as expectd.
So why is TBird rejecting my password.
CAPS LOCK was off !
Other PC with this account shows notice from GMail of attempted access.
Go to your account using a browser and tell Google you are just fine and
dandy with using an insecure app like TB.
Shadow
2018-05-27 18:55:51 UTC
On Sun, 27 May 2018 14:41:53 +0200, The Real GLOBALSHT
Post by The Real GLOBALIST
Go to your account using a browser and tell Google you are just fine and
dandy with using an insecure app like TB.
You advise the guy to go to an insecure site ? Insecure as in
datamining, geolocating, profiling etc ?
I'd advise him to change his email provider.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012