Dead Icons
wrenden
2018-05-29 15:09:13 UTC
Sony laptop: Sometimes the desktop icons won't respond to the curser.
Luckily the task bar icons still work so I can restart and then all is
OK for a while. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
wrenden
Big Al
2018-05-29 17:20:48 UTC
Post by wrenden
Sony laptop: Sometimes the desktop icons won't respond to the curser.
Luckily the task bar icons still work so I can restart and then all is
OK for a while. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
wrenden
Have you tried clicking once to select the icon and then hitting the
Enter key? At least if that works, you know the icon and link etc is
working, it's just 'why not the double mouse click'. The latter might
be your mouse settings for mouse click. Most mouse setting windows
have a place to test and adjust the timing of the click and how fast or
slow you can click to be noticed. It might just be that simple.

You didn't give any ideas of what you have tried so sorry, I might be
telling you something you already know.

Al
wrenden
2018-05-29 22:59:45 UTC
Post by Big Al
Post by wrenden
Sony laptop: Sometimes the desktop icons won't respond to the curser.
Luckily the task bar icons still work so I can restart and then all is
OK for a while. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
wrenden
Have you tried clicking once to select the icon and then hitting the
Enter key? At least if that works, you know the icon and link etc is
working
Yes I tried that---no response at all. All that helps is a restart.
Maybe this thingy just has too many hours used. Thanks for the reply.

wrenden

Al
VanguardLH
2018-05-29 23:13:34 UTC
Post by wrenden
Post by Big Al
Post by wrenden
Sony laptop: Sometimes the desktop icons won't respond to the
curser. Luckily the task bar icons still work so I can restart and
then all is OK for a while.
Have you tried clicking once to select the icon and then hitting the
Enter key? At least if that works, you know the icon and link etc
is working
Yes I tried that---no response at all. All that helps is a restart.
Maybe this thingy just has too many hours used. Thanks for the reply.
Is restarting Windows in its safe mode another troubleshooting step you
didn't inform us about? Or disabling the anti-virus software? Or
taking the command string from the shortcut and using the Win+R run
dialog to load it that way?
wrenden
2018-05-30 01:35:27 UTC
Post by wrenden
Post by Big Al
Post by wrenden
Sony laptop: Sometimes the desktop icons won't respond to the
curser. Luckily the task bar icons still work so I can restart and
then all is OK for a while.
Have you tried clicking once to select the icon and then hitting the
Enter key? At least if that works, you know the icon and link etc
is working
Yes I tried that---no response at all. All that helps is a restart.
Maybe this thingy just has too many hours used. Thanks for the reply.
Is restarting Windows in its safe mode another troubleshooting step you
didn't inform us about? Or disabling the anti-virus software? Or
taking the command string from the shortcut and using the Win+R run
dialog to load it that way?
OK, I just did a restore in safe mode and it seems alright now. I
just remembered the problem started after I uninstalled Avast AV.
Thanks guys.
wrenden
VanguardLH
2018-05-30 07:56:02 UTC
Post by wrenden
Post by VanguardLH
Post by wrenden
Post by Big Al
Post by wrenden
Sony laptop: Sometimes the desktop icons won't respond to the
curser. Luckily the task bar icons still work so I can restart
and then all is OK for a while.
Have you tried clicking once to select the icon and then hitting
the Enter key? At least if that works, you know the icon and
link etc is working
Yes I tried that---no response at all. All that helps is a
restart. Maybe this thingy just has too many hours used. Thanks for
the reply.
Is restarting Windows in its safe mode another troubleshooting step
you didn't inform us about? Or disabling the anti-virus software?
Or taking the command string from the shortcut and using the Win+R
run dialog to load it that way?
OK, I just did a restore in safe mode and it seems alright now. I
just remembered the problem started after I uninstalled Avast AV.
Avast has kernel-mode drivers. You need to reboot Windows to complete
the uninstallation. Avast also has an uninstall/cleanup tool.