setting attribs
Your nameBill Cunningham
2018-06-19 19:35:12 UTC
I know people have told me this. And I did something similar in XP. But I
can't set the icons to medium in a folder and then select apply to all
fodlers. That option is never available. Going to every folder and doing
this is a pain. What changed? There wasn't a problem in XP's setup.

Bill
Paul
2018-06-20 00:44:18 UTC
Post by Your nameBill Cunningham
I know people have told me this. And I did something similar in XP. But I
can't set the icons to medium in a folder and then select apply to all
fodlers. That option is never available. Going to every folder and doing
this is a pain. What changed? There wasn't a problem in XP's setup.
Bill
There are tutorials available for the topic.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11356-folder-view-apply-folders.html

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/41198-folder-view-set-default-all-folders.html

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15692-folder-view-settings-reset-all-default.html

This one is the one I use a lot, but there are likely
to be lots of little permutations available, as the
tutorials will show.

The information is recorded in "shell bags" and "bagsMRU",
and even back in WinXP, you had to bump up the MRU or
Most Recently Used number, to provide sufficient
registry entry space, so all the folders could be
"remembered". If you visit a folder and find your
work is undone, sometimes it's an MRU problem. And in
WinXP the MRU cannot be set to infinity. A number
around 8000 was about as high as it would go.

The other OSes store the registry entries in
slightly different places.

When it comes to file explorer icon size, icon position,
text sorting, columns sorting, "nothing lasts forever".
This is why third party tools exist, which record how
it is now, and if Windows messes it up, you use the
third-party tool to put it back.

If a folder has images in it, the folder starts
using the Pictures template. If a folder has movies,
suddenly it's using column types suited to Movies.
While one of the above articles implies you can tame
that bad boy, I somehow doubt that Windows will ever
really behave for anybody on this topic. For example,
maybe you beat C: into shape, plug in a USB drive,
and the folders are all messed up. And you're off
on another "tidying" adventure.

Paul
tesla sTinker
2018-07-01 22:52:01 UTC