Wont save passwords
HB
2018-03-08 18:06:17 UTC
I have a copy of Outlook Express for several years now that worked on W-7.
Then,suddenly, it would not save my passwords. It's a real PIA to have to
add them every day when I check my email.

Also, I uninstalled OE and thought that would remove the problem but files
stay hidden somwhere because when I reinstalled OE, all the info was still
there including deleted old email. And of course the same old problem of not
saving passwords.

Anyone know how I can completely remove it from my W-7 Home desktop so I can
reinstall it fresh?
VanguardLH
2018-03-08 19:05:54 UTC
Post by HB
I have a copy of Outlook Express for several years now that worked on W-7.
Then,suddenly, it would not save my passwords. It's a real PIA to have to
add them every day when I check my email.
Also, I uninstalled OE and thought that would remove the problem but files
stay hidden somwhere because when I reinstalled OE, all the info was still
there including deleted old email. And of course the same old problem of not
saving passwords.
Anyone know how I can completely remove it from my W-7 Home desktop so I can
reinstall it fresh?
Passwords are saved in an encrypted registry entry. If corrupted, the
result is not entering the correct login credentials at the server so
Outlook Express prompts for a new password. However, entering and
remembering the new login credentials won't repair the corrupted
registry entry.

https://www.google.com/search?q=outlook%20express%20remember%20password

found:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/290684/save-password-setting-not-retained-in-outlook-or-outlook-express

Use method 3.
HB
2018-03-08 22:46:43 UTC
Post by HB
[...]
1. To create a new profile/identity I have to get new email accounts at
Gmail or somewhere. It wont let me use the account names I already have.
So that wont work. It doesn't explain how to use the old account's names
and passwords with a new profile in OE, even AFTER I deleted one account to
see if that would work. It didn't. Also, the info on the Tabs in EO are not
the same as in the article. There is no "Info", then "account settings"
under the File tab in OE.

2. As for the Key. I found it OK in the registry, but even following the
simple directions, I get a "Unable to save permissions. Access is denied."
I saw only 1 subkey key there though I have 4 accounts on this PC. So that
will not work either. Moot since access is denied.

The other info there was not for OE.

The "save password" is grayed out. I have the same OE software on 4
different computers and this is the only one that is grayed out and will not
save them. Googling brings up a lot of info that often doesn't work. That's
why I ask on the NGs, hoping to find someone with first hand knowledge who
tried something that worked for them.

How can everything be removed from OE so I can install a fresh uncorrupt
copy? Have any idea? That is short of doing a System Recovery.
VanguardLH
2018-03-09 01:00:12 UTC
Post by HB
Post by VanguardLH
Post by HB
[...]
Outlook Express profiles have nothing to do with separate e-mail
accounts. You can have many OE profiles and each could point to the
same e-mail servers doing the same logins. You have to define what
e-mail account to use within a profile. It can be the same or different
e-mail account than specified in another profile.

Besides, method 3 is about deleting the registry entry that recorded the
encrypted login credentials, not about creating new OE profiles. The MS
article mentions having to change permissions on the registry key. You
must be logged in under an admin-level account to use the registry and
change permissions on the registry keys.
HB
2018-03-10 05:26:12 UTC
Post by HB
Post by VanguardLH
Post by HB
[...]
I couldn't believe what happened this morning. As mentioned I deleted one
of the email accounts because I wanted to use the same name profile. I
didn't know there was a way to direct a new one to an existing account since
I saw no way to do that. I had no idea how to switch back when it asked me
if I wanted to switch. When I opened OE not only was the deleted account
THERE, but the passwords were as well. All mail downloaded without asking
for the passwords for each one. I did nothing to make this happen. WTF?
I've been online since 1995 and something like this never happened before.
Not unless a program was uninstalled and reinstalled.
Post by VanguardLH
Besides, method 3 is about deleting the registry entry that recorded the
encrypted login credentials, not about creating new OE profiles. The MS
article mentions having to change permissions on the registry key. You
must be logged in under an admin-level account to use the registry and
change permissions on the registry keys.
As mention, I did that but I got an "Unable to save permissions. Access is
denied." So apparently somthing happened to make it work again, no credit to
myself.
Paul
2018-03-10 06:39:18 UTC
Post by HB
Post by VanguardLH
Post by HB
Post by VanguardLH
Besides, method 3 is about deleting the registry entry that recorded the
encrypted login credentials, not about creating new OE profiles. The MS
article mentions having to change permissions on the registry key. You
must be logged in under an admin-level account to use the registry and
change permissions on the registry keys.
As mention, I did that but I got an "Unable to save permissions. Access is
denied." So apparently somthing happened to make it work again, no credit to
myself.
In a brave new world. when you log in, the login process creates
a "token". The "token" is proof you logged in.

Even if someone breaks into an account and changes the password,
the "token" on a running process continues to maintain an authenticated
state. For some tools, this means instead of storing the user password
for them, the tool stores the token instead, and gives the impression
it's handling authentication somehow.

It all depends on the rules of expiry, as to how tokens
are destroyed. Is time a factor ? Is number of window openings
a factor ? These re all design decisions for the company allowing
this sort of access.

https://developers.google.com/gmail/api/auth/web-server

"Exchange the authorization code for an access token

This access token is passed to the Gmail API to grant
your application access to user data for a limited time.
"

The fun part, is figuring out from the description, how it works.

2018-03-09 02:26:17 UTC
Post by HB
I have a copy of Outlook Express for several years now that worked on W-7.
Sorry, can't help with your problem, but the above interests me: I have
a friend who is fond of OE, but is under the impression (as was I) that
it won't work under 7. (There is that "OE Classic", of which the free
version is rather limited and people here thought the paid version was
flawed too, but I get the impression you aren't talking about that
anyway.) One of the reasons my friend is staying on XP (though not the
only one).

Can you tell us any more about your OE-that-works-on-7? And is it 7-32
or 7-64?

Beatrix Potter was a bunny boiler.
- Patricia Routledge, on "Today" 2016-1-26
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2018-03-09 17:20:45 UTC
Can you tell us any more about your OE-that-works-on-7? And is it 7-32
or 7-64?
One simple method is to use a VM to run your license copy of WinXP.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不賭錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):
HB
2018-03-10 05:31:23 UTC
Post by HB
I have a copy of Outlook Express for several years now that worked on W-7.
Sorry, can't help with your problem, but the above interests me: I have a
friend who is fond of OE, but is under the impression (as was I) that it
won't work under 7. (There is that "OE Classic", of which the free version
is rather limited and people here thought the paid version was flawed too,
but I get the impression you aren't talking about that anyway.) One of the
reasons my friend is staying on XP (though not the only one).
Can you tell us any more about your OE-that-works-on-7? And is it 7-32 or
7-64?
It's 7-64. It works on W-10 also. I have the free copy that a website was
giving away a few years ago. Now he charges for it. I have had no problems
with the free version. The url is https://runasxp.com/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-10 08:49:43 UTC
Post by HB
Post by HB
I have a copy of Outlook Express for several years now that worked on W-7.
Sorry, can't help with your problem, but the above interests me: I have a
[]
Post by HB
Can you tell us any more about your OE-that-works-on-7? And is it 7-32 or
7-64?
It's 7-64. It works on W-10 also. I have the free copy that a website was
giving away a few years ago. Now he charges for it. I have had no problems
with the free version. The url is https://runasxp.com/
[]
Thanks for coming back! I see, so it's not the original Microsoft
product (I'm surprised they let him use the name!), but one created by
someone else to look like the original. Looks better than the "OE
Classic" one (and a _quick_ look didn't show any charge, though there is
a donation button - though without downloading and trying it I can't say
if it does charge). But good to know that that one works, and has for
years for you (and now has even fixed itself against what you originally
reported about the passwords!). Thanks again for coming back.

Does my Bradshaw look big in this?
Ken Blake
2018-03-10 15:58:40 UTC
Post by HB
Post by HB
I have a copy of Outlook Express for several years now that worked on W-7.
Sorry, can't help with your problem, but the above interests me: I have a
friend who is fond of OE, but is under the impression (as was I) that it
won't work under 7. (There is that "OE Classic", of which the free version
is rather limited and people here thought the paid version was flawed too,
but I get the impression you aren't talking about that anyway.) One of the
reasons my friend is staying on XP (though not the only one).
Can you tell us any more about your OE-that-works-on-7? And is it 7-32 or
7-64?
It's 7-64. It works on W-10 also. I have the free copy that a website was
giving away a few years ago. Now he charges for it. I have had no problems
with the free version. The url is https://runasxp.com/
OK, I now understand what you are running. But let me point out that
in your first message in this thread, you should have explained what
it was. It may look like Outlook Express, but it's not Outlook Express
(which was a Microsoft product). It's a third-party product called
"Outlook Express for Windows 7, 8 and 10."
Brian Gregory
2018-03-21 19:48:07 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
OK, I now understand what you are running. But let me point out that
in your first message in this thread, you should have explained what
it was. It may look like Outlook Express, but it's not Outlook Express
(which was a Microsoft product). It's a third-party product called
"Outlook Express for Windows 7, 8 and 10."
Looks to me like like OE stolen from XP and patched/hacked to work on
W7, W8 and W10.
Brian Gregory (in England).
Diesel
2018-03-25 23:39:49 UTC
Post by Brian Gregory
Post by Ken Blake
OK, I now understand what you are running. But let me point out
that in your first message in this thread, you should have
explained what it was. It may look like Outlook Express, but it's
not Outlook Express (which was a Microsoft product). It's a
third-party product called "Outlook Express for Windows 7, 8 and
10."
Looks to me like like OE stolen from XP and patched/hacked to work
on W7, W8 and W10.
I haven't checked it out. I wasn't ever a fan of the program in the
first place, so...
--
Don't become the next David Brooks cyberstalking victim!
Visit https://tekrider.net/pages/david-brooks-stalker.php (10/10 WOT)
Email(s): ***@btinternet.com, ***@aol.com
HB
2018-03-11 04:17:00 UTC
Post by HB
I have a copy of Outlook Express for several years now that worked on W-7.
Sorry, can't help with your problem, but the above interests me: I have a
friend who is fond of OE, but is under the impression (as was I) that it
won't work under 7. (There is that "OE Classic", of which the free version
is rather limited and people here thought the paid version was flawed too,
but I get the impression you aren't talking about that anyway.) One of the
reasons my friend is staying on XP (though not the only one).
Can you tell us any more about your OE-that-works-on-7? And is it 7-32 or
7-64?
It installs itself in Program files (x86) on W-7 and W-10. I have it on 4
machines and so far so good - except for the one apparently temporary
problem of not remembering passwords on the W-7 DT. The spellchecker was
free on some site I no longer remember. Add it to OEs folder and execute.
HB
2018-03-21 01:22:06 UTC
Post by HB
I have a copy of Outlook Express for several years now that worked on W-7.
Sorry, can't help with your problem, but the above interests me: I have a
friend who is fond of OE, but is under the impression (as was I) that it
won't work under 7. (There is that "OE Classic", of which the free version
is rather limited and people here thought the paid version was flawed too,
but I get the impression you aren't talking about that anyway.) One of the
reasons my friend is staying on XP (though not the only one).
Can you tell us any more about your OE-that-works-on-7? And is it 7-32 or
7-64?
The PCs it works on are W-7 and W-10. But to work in W-10 you have to keep
deleting the update that screws it up. Or you can run it from a Thumb
drive.
Mr Pounder Esquire
2018-03-09 17:07:04 UTC
Post by HB
I have a copy of Outlook Express for several years now that worked on
W-7. Then,suddenly, it would not save my passwords. It's a real PIA
to have to add them every day when I check my email.
Also, I uninstalled OE and thought that would remove the problem but
files stay hidden somwhere because when I reinstalled OE, all the
info was still there including deleted old email. And of course the
same old problem of not saving passwords.
Anyone know how I can completely remove it from my W-7 Home desktop
so I can reinstall it fresh?
Don't know, sorry.
But I would be very interested where you got a copy of OE that works on
Windows 7.
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2018-03-09 17:19:03 UTC
Post by Mr Pounder Esquire
Don't know, sorry.
But I would be very interested where you got a copy of OE that works on
Windows 7.
Just google "outlook express windows 7"! :)
<https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=outlook+express+windows+7>
2018-03-09 19:53:00 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Post by Mr Pounder Esquire
Don't know, sorry.
But I would be very interested where you got a copy of OE that works on
Windows 7.
Just google "outlook express windows 7"! :)
<https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=outlook+express+windows+7>
Before telling people to Google, please do it yourself, and actually
follow the links. Of the first ten hits, that search yields one or two
that point to runasxp's product, about seven that point to the "OE
Classic" product, and two or three that just tell us OE doesn't work
under 7 (which we know).

The poster to whom I was responding - and which Mr. P. is writing about
too - wrote as if he had an original version of OE (not a substitute,
replacement, or whatever), that had worked under 7 (no mention of VM
[virtual Machine] running XP, either), for some time (and was continuing
to, for that matter, just had started to prompt for password
frequently).

Our interest is in where/when he got it, or, if it's just the original
(msimn.exe?) copied from XP or earlier, whether there's something odd
about his W7 (such as maybe being 32 bit, or a pre-release candidate, or
something).

But I fear the original poster is probably no longer reading this thread
)-:.

"Bother,"saidPoohwhenhisspacebarrefusedtowork.
HB
2018-03-10 05:39:59 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Post by Mr Pounder Esquire
[...]
Wasn't the original somehow connected to IE? There was no way as I
underatand it, that it could be moved to another computer.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-10 08:56:45 UTC
Post by HB
Wasn't the original somehow connected to IE? There was no way as I
underatand it, that it could be moved to another computer.
[]
The original - or rather the final - _Microsoft_ product, OE6, was
indeed officially part of some IE version, and not downloadable
separately, though I think could be (I _think_ the msimn.exe was
sufficient?). Earlier versions of OE - I'm not sure up to which one -
_were_ available separately, but that's going back a _long_ way.

But it seems that the original poster here, HB, wasn't using the
Microsoft product anyway, but one made by runasxp, but put forward by
runasxp as if it is the original: well, nowhere does it _say_ that it is
the original, but nowhere does it say (not in an obvious way, anyway)
that it _isn't_, either.

Does my Bradshaw look big in this?
Mr Pounder Esquire
But thanks anyway.
HB
2018-03-10 05:33:16 UTC
Post by Mr Pounder Esquire
Post by HB
I have a copy of Outlook Express for several years now that worked on
W-7. Then,suddenly, it would not save my passwords. It's a real PIA
to have to add them every day when I check my email.
Also, I uninstalled OE and thought that would remove the problem but
files stay hidden somwhere because when I reinstalled OE, all the
info was still there including deleted old email. And of course the
same old problem of not saving passwords.
Anyone know how I can completely remove it from my W-7 Home desktop
so I can reinstall it fresh?
Don't know, sorry.
But I would be very interested where you got a copy of OE that works on
Windows 7.
It was free at one time. Now I think it's donationware. Go here:

https://runasxp.com/
HB
2018-03-11 04:20:05 UTC
Post by Mr Pounder Esquire
Post by HB
I have a copy of Outlook Express for several years now that worked on
W-7. Then,suddenly, it would not save my passwords. It's a real PIA
to have to add them every day when I check my email.
Also, I uninstalled OE and thought that would remove the problem but
files stay hidden somwhere because when I reinstalled OE, all the
info was still there including deleted old email. And of course the
same old problem of not saving passwords.
Anyone know how I can completely remove it from my W-7 Home desktop
so I can reinstall it fresh?
Don't know, sorry.
But I would be very interested where you got a copy of OE that works on
Windows 7.
I have a copy that works on W-7 and W-10 flawlessly. It was free at the
time. I don't know what the problem was but it's keeping the passwords now.
HB
2018-03-21 01:27:11 UTC
The website RunasXP. https://runasxp.com/ You make a donation for it now.
At one time it was free.
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2018-03-09 17:17:04 UTC
Post by HB
I have a copy of Outlook Express for several years now that worked on W-7.
Then,suddenly, it would not save my passwords. It's a real PIA to have to
add them every day when I check my email.
Not responding to your problem: I always type my passwords from my
brain. Maybe you have too many websites. :)