Thunderbird Does Not Accept Password Still For Send eMails - UPDATE
Filbert
2018-06-02 14:41:53 UTC
Latest TBird. 52.8.0 esr About says latest.

On Win XP Pro all updates
Profile on C: and 70G Free.

Several GMail accounts. Some work OK.

Two accounts now will not accept password to send email.
Same as previous posted problem.

Other GMail accounts on this PC will send and receive.
Sent test emails.

Works OK on another PC.

Deleted both problem accounts.
Set up again TBird as imap.

Got Google asking if OK and went through process of setting up via
Google GMail.

All emails downloaded to the most recent showing in TBird.
Look at GMail setting for imap and all seem to allow.

Tried to send email and will not send from same two accounts.
Sent to this account from a different GMAil account on same PC and it
arrived at account that will not send.

Went to GMail and looked at required settings for TBird.
I cannot find the send setting in TBird setup or most of what GMails
says to set.

WHere do I find other than Settings / Server Settings ?

Server in TBirrd is 993 but GMail says 995 so changed to 995 but emails
still not send.
Filbert
2018-06-02 15:02:14 UTC
Saved several non-sending emails as Draft.

Went to a different 2nd PC and the drafts were there !!!! What ?
Drafts get sent via GMAil on non-sending PC Tbird ???

Tried to use them on other 2nd PC but they failed to send.

Make fresh emails on other 2nd PC and they went out OK.

Strange !
Paul
2018-06-02 16:57:47 UTC
Post by Filbert
Saved several non-sending emails as Draft.
Went to a different 2nd PC and the drafts were there !!!! What ?
Drafts get sent via GMAil on non-sending PC Tbird ???
Tried to use them on other 2nd PC but they failed to send.
Make fresh emails on other 2nd PC and they went out OK.
Strange !
Doesn't IMAP by default, save the boxes on the server,
such that they can be "shared" between machines ?

That might be what you're seeing there.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail

*******

Thunderbird apparently has troubleshooting information, an
example of which is demonstrated here.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1195513

Mail and News Accounts
account1:
INCOMING: account1, , (imap) imap.googlemail.com:993, SSL, OAuth2
OUTGOING: , smtp.googlemail.com:465, SSL, passwordCleartext, true <=== wrong

A commenter in that thread mentions OAuth2 should
be the choice for the OUTGOING smtp. Use the troubleshooting
info on a "working" setup and compare to the "broken" setup.

Paul
πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰
2018-06-02 16:08:00 UTC
Post by Filbert
Two accounts now will not accept password to send email.
Same as previous posted problem.
Please use something else. You are too stupid to know anything.
Computers aren't meant for people like you with low IQ.

In future please refrain from cross posting. Only the stupid people who
wants to confirm their stupidity do it.
Post by Filbert
Windows Defender software.
//https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/comprehensive-security/
2018-06-02 17:19:11 UTC
Post by Filbert
[...]
Have you tried using the webmail client for Gmail to see if you can send
using that?
VanguardLH
2018-06-02 17:21:06 UTC
Post by Filbert
[...]
Never mind. See that using different e-mail clients that you can get
them to use SMTP to send out via Gmail.

Have you tried booting the problematic hosts into Windows' safe mode
w/networking to see if the e-mail clients on those hosts then work?
Ian Jackson
2018-06-02 20:32:58 UTC
In message <1l67knvnkptnu$***@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <***@nguard.LH>
writes
Post by VanguardLH
Post by Filbert
[...]
Yes - check that the webmail version works - and if it does, note the
communication settings.

I've just had a similar problem with an MS Live email account
(previously Hotmail, and now Outlook) that wouldn't work in Thunderbird.

A couple years ago. I added my Live email account to Thunderbird. No
problems. Both webmail and TB worked fine.

However, a few weeks ago I added a second Live account to TB, using
exactly the same settings as the first. The perfectly correct login
password was rejected - but (surprisingly) I found I could send but not
receive.

After a lot of messing about, in desperation I totally deleted the
account from TB - and then re-added it. This time, all the setting
fields were set automatically (no need to copy anything from the first
account) - and now it worked!

I then noticed that the incoming server settings of the two accounts
were different. The first was POP, and the second (which had, of course
been copied from the first, so was previously POP) was now IMAP. On
comparing with the settings of two the webmail accounts, I found that
like in TB, the first was POP, and the second was IMAP.

I therefore guess that you need to make sure that the TB account IS
exactly the same as the webmail account.
Ian
VanguardLH
2018-06-02 21:38:58 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
writes
Post by VanguardLH
Post by Filbert
[...]
You need to go into your Gmail account settings (on their server) to
configure if POP, IMAP, or both methods of access are enabled.

Gear icon -> Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP

Ralph Fox
2018-06-02 21:28:54 UTC
Post by Filbert
Went to GMail and looked at required settings for TBird.
I cannot find the send setting in TBird setup or most of what GMails
says to set.
WHere do I find other than Settings / Server Settings ?
All send settings are under "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" which is
at the bottom of the left panel in Account Settings
Post by Filbert
Server in TBirrd is 993 but GMail says 995 so changed to 995 but emails
still not send.
993 is for receiving email in an IMAP account.
995 is for receiving email in a POP account.

The Gmail settings for an IMAP account say 993 --> <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229>

If Server in TBird is 993, then you set up an IMAP account in Thunderbird.
Where GMail says 995, you are now reading the settings for a POP account.

I suggest you stick to either IMAP or POP, not both.
--
Kind regards
Ralph