2/3 of Services NOT Needed !
c***@optonline.net
2018-05-23 13:36:34 UTC
All services sap system resources. Also, starting all services, slows
down boot rime considerably.

Typically, there are about 150 offered, and all are enabled by
default.

Black viper and others, provide info which helps to determine which
servides can be disabled ( unchecked in msconfig ... ), BUT it still
comes down to a very tedious process of trial-'n-error, requiring many
boots.

Anyone is welcome to my list and I'd be interested in others.
Shadow
2018-05-23 15:39:13 UTC
Post by c***@optonline.net
All services sap system resources. Also, starting all services, slows
down boot rime considerably.
Typically, there are about 150 offered, and all are enabled by
default.
Black viper and others, provide info which helps to determine which
servides can be disabled ( unchecked in msconfig ... ), BUT it still
comes down to a very tedious process of trial-'n-error, requiring many
boots.
No, most non-essential services can be killed and set to
disabled without rebooting.
Post by c***@optonline.net
Anyone is welcome to my list and I'd be interested in others.
A lot of services have serious security issues. Some should be
killed off before you even connect to the Internet for the first time.
Black Viper is probably the best guide. Has been for more than
a decade, IMHO.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
c***@optonline.net
2018-05-24 11:18:10 UTC
Post by Shadow
No, most non-essential services can be killed and set to
disabled without rebooting.
Yes, but to determine the effect of each particular service, requires
a boot to be sure to have the service running or not
Yes, Black Viper's good.
Big Al
And a link to this black viper maybe?
KenW
2018-05-24 14:20:33 UTC
Post by Big Al
Post by Shadow
Post by c***@optonline.net
Anyone is welcome to my list and I'd be interested in others.
A lot of services have serious security issues. Some should be
killed off before you even connect to the Internet for the first time.
Black Viper is probably the best guide. Has been for more than
a decade, IMHO.
Yes, Black Viper's good.
And a link to this black viper maybe?
Do a search, it will be found

KenW
Shadow
2018-05-24 18:40:36 UTC
Post by KenW
Post by Big Al
Post by Shadow
Post by c***@optonline.net
Anyone is welcome to my list and I'd be interested in others.
A lot of services have serious security issues. Some should be
killed off before you even connect to the Internet for the first time.
Black Viper is probably the best guide. Has been for more than
a decade, IMHO.
Yes, Black Viper's good.
And a link to this black viper maybe?
Do a search, it will be found
Just in case he mistakes it for the capsules:

https://www.samedaysupplements.com/black-viper-fat-burner-by-dragon-pharma-60-caps.html

Here it is:

http://www.blackviper.com/

More on topic:

http://www.blackviper.com/windows-services/
;)
[]'s
Big Al
2018-05-24 19:09:25 UTC
Post by Shadow
Post by c***@optonline.net
Anyone is welcome to my list and I'd be interested in others.
A lot of services have serious security issues. Some should be
killed off before you even connect to the Internet for the first time.
Black Viper is probably the best guide. Has been for more than
a decade, IMHO.
Yes, Black Viper's good.
Tried it and only one item was off that should have been auto.
Did the dry-run. It was some service I wouldn't turn on anyway.

Thanks.
Mayayana
2018-05-27 14:21:05 UTC
<***@optonline.net> wrote

| Anyone is welcome to my list and I'd be interested in others.

Maybe you could post the list with info?

Personally I'm curious about newer services
that I'm not familiar with, but a lot of it depends
on what you use. For instance, I don't
deal with any kind of networking, so all
of that is disabled. I use fixed IP, so no
need for DHCP. On the other hand, someone
on a network using DHCP would break
everything they ever cared about if they
used my list. :)
c***@optonline.net
2018-05-28 11:40:13 UTC
Thanks for good info.

My "list" is 13 JPG captures of msconfig screens. Anyone should post
or Email if they want a peek.
fnot
2018-05-28 22:31:19 UTC
Let's have a peak please and thank you.
c***@optonline.net
2018-06-05 12:10:02 UTC
These are 13 jpg captures of msconfig screens.

Send Email if wanted.

c***@optonline.net
2018-05-28 14:21:31 UTC
PS - Currently only 49 of 151 enabled .
Mayayana
2018-05-28 14:42:55 UTC
<***@optonline.net> wrote

| PS - Currently only 49 of 151 enabled .

Another option, if you or others are interested, is that
services can be listed via WMI. (They can also be
started/stopped that way, but that gets into other
issues.)
The following simple script will provide a report of
currently running services. The list can be made more
or less informative by adding or removing the report
of various properties of the Win32_Service object.

Just copy the following to Notepad and save as
something like services.vbs.

'------------ start script -----------------------
' --- watch out for usenet wordwrap on long lines, especially
'-- 5th line, which should end with )

Dim WMI, AAll(), i6, AllServs, oServ, sServ, FSO, TS
Set WMI = GetObject("WinMgmts:")
ReDim AAll(200)
i6 = 0
Set AllServs = WMI.ExecQuery("select * from Win32_Service where Started
= True")
For Each oServ in AllServs
sServ = oServ.Name & vbCrLf & oServ.DisplayName & vbCrLf
sServ = sServ & oServ.Description & vbCrLf & oServ.StartMode
sServ = sServ & vbCrLf & oServ.PathName
sServ = sServ & vbCrLf & "____________________" & vbCrLf
AAll(i6) = sServ
i6 = i6 + 1
Next
ReDim Preserve AAll(i6)
sServ = Join(AAll, vbCrLf)
Set AllServs = Nothing
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set TS = FSO.CreateTextFile("C:\Services Running.txt", True)
TS.Write sServ
TS.Close
Set TS = Nothing
Set FSO = Nothing

MsgBox "Done. List of running services saved as C:\Services Running.txt"

'------ end script ---------------------------
Mayayana
2018-05-28 14:49:29 UTC
"Mayayana" <***@invalid.nospam> wrote.....

Here's what that script returns for me on my main XP box.
(But, as noted, this wouldn't work for everyone.) Even some
of these are questionable. I only need Logial Disk Manager
because occasionally I look at disk layout in the admin tools.
DCOM Process Launcher would be better disabled, but I need
to enable it for WMI. It may be needed for other things as
well. But for me that's a good example of problems with
Windows services. DCOM is for running software between
computers. A crazy risk to enable if you're not on a network.
But WMI needs it because WMI is meant to be used across
corporate intranets. So it won't work without DPL!
Even WMI is not necessary for most people. It's mainly
used by network admins and some system utility software.

'--------------- begin report of running services -------

AcrylicServiceController
Acrylic DNS Proxy Service
A local DNS proxy for Windows which improves the performance of your
computer by caching the responses coming from your DNS servers.
Auto
C:\Program Files\Acrylic DNS Proxy\AcrylicService.exe
____________________

AudioSrv
Windows Audio
Manages audio devices for Windows-based programs. If this service is
stopped, audio devices and effects will not function properly. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.
Auto
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
____________________

DcomLaunch
DCOM Server Process Launcher
Provides launch functionality for DCOM services.
Auto
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
____________________

dmserver
Logical Disk Manager
Detects and monitors new hard disk drives and sends disk volume information
to Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service for configuration. If this
service is stopped, dynamic disk status and configuration information may
become out of date. If this service is disabled, any services that
explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Auto
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
____________________

Eventlog
Event Log
Enables event log messages issued by Windows-based programs and components
to be viewed in Event Viewer. This service cannot be stopped.
Manual
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
____________________

Netman
Network Connections
Manages objects in the Network and Dial-Up Connections folder, in which you
can view both local area network and remote connections.
Manual
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
____________________

OAcat
Online Armor Helper Service

Auto
"C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\OAcat.exe"
____________________

PlugPlay
Plug and Play
Enables a computer to recognize and adapt to hardware changes with little or
no user input. Stopping or disabling this service will result in system
instability.
Auto
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
____________________

ProtectedStorage
Protected Storage
Provides protected storage for sensitive data, such as private keys, to
prevent access by unauthorized services, processes, or users.
Auto
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
____________________

RpcSs
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Provides the endpoint mapper and other miscellaneous RPC services.
Auto
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k rpcss
____________________

SamSs
Security Accounts Manager
Stores security information for local user accounts.
Auto
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
____________________

ShellHWDetection
Shell Hardware Detection

Auto
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
____________________

Spooler
Print Spooler
Loads files to memory for later printing.
Auto
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
____________________

stisvc
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
Provides image acquisition services for scanners and cameras.
Auto
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
____________________

SvcOnlineArmor
Online Armor

Auto
C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oasrv.exe
____________________

Themes
Themes
Provides user experience theme management.
Auto
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
____________________

winmgmt
Windows Management Instrumentation
Provides a common interface and object model to access management
information about operating system, devices, applications and services. If
this service is stopped, most Windows-based software will not function
properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend
on it will fail to start.
Auto
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
____________________

wscsvc
Security Center
Monitors system security settings and configurations.
____________________
Diesel
2018-05-30 00:08:14 UTC
Post by Mayayana
| Anyone is welcome to my list and I'd be interested in others.
Maybe you could post the list with info?
Personally I'm curious about newer services
that I'm not familiar with, but a lot of it depends
on what you use. For instance, I don't
deal with any kind of networking, so all
of that is disabled. I use fixed IP, so no
need for DHCP. On the other hand, someone
on a network using DHCP would break
everything they ever cared about if they
used my list. :)
Hmm.. I'm curious as to what you mean by break. :)

I have a LAN here with more than five computers which act as various
types of media content servers. I'm guessing? your configuration would
cause the computers to no longer talk to each other?
--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:
Weather's here, wish you were beautiful.
Mayayana
2018-05-30 01:07:40 UTC
"Diesel" <***@privacy.net> wrote

| Hmm.. I'm curious as to what you mean by break. :)
|
| I have a LAN here with more than five computers which act as various
| types of media content servers. I'm guessing? your configuration would
| cause the computers to no longer talk to each other?

I'm not experienced with networking, so I'm not
sure which things are required. People who don't
use a fixed IP will need DHCP to go online. So there's
that.

As for the network, I disable COM+ services,
Computer Browser, Server and Workstation,
Network DDE, Network Location Awareness,
Remote Access Connection Manager, Remote
Registry, SSDP/UPnP...
and pretty much anything else involved with
functionality between computers. I do that for
security and because I have no need to have
machines networked. I try to disable anything
that relates to communication with another
computer or incoming communication that's
not requested. So I also have DCOM ports blocked,
etc.
I've never tested which of these services is
critical for what things, since I try to block all of it,
but I'm assuming that if you run a home network
you'll have problems if you disable all network
services. (I listed the services I have enabled
on XP in a later post in this thread.)