Startup animation?
2018-05-03 00:26:36 UTC
In the "Win7 won't boot from seat dock" thread, Paul said

(Windows 7 has the canned "juggler balls"
animation, while Win8/Win10 are the "ferris wheel balls".
On Windows 7, there's actually a file with a frame by frame
animation stored in a "very tall" image file.)

That sounds like you've cracked the structure of the animation - have
you?

I rather like the idea of being able to have an own-brand animation,
like you could with '9x startup; that used palette switching, and some
rather beautiful startup animations were created for it. (Not by me!
Well beyond my artistic abilities.)

[I vaguely remember something for XP as well, but I think it was more or
less limited to the progress-bar type animation, plus being able to
change a static background image.]

... of the two little boxes in the corner of your room, the one without the
pictures is the one that opens the mind. - Stuart Maconie in Radio Times,
2008/10/11-17
JJ
2018-05-03 22:14:05 UTC
In the "Win7 won't boot from seat dock" thread, Paul said
(Windows 7 has the canned "juggler balls"
animation, while Win8/Win10 are the "ferris wheel balls".
On Windows 7, there's actually a file with a frame by frame
animation stored in a "very tall" image file.)
That sounds like you've cracked the structure of the animation - have
you?
I rather like the idea of being able to have an own-brand animation,
like you could with '9x startup; that used palette switching, and some
rather beautiful startup animations were created for it. (Not by me!
Well beyond my artistic abilities.)
[I vaguely remember something for XP as well, but I think it was more or
less limited to the progress-bar type animation, plus being able to
change a static background image.]
IIRC, Windows 9x boot image is stored in a separate BMP file (but without
.bmp file extension). So, changing it is quite safe.

Windows 2000+ boot animation images however, are not stored in their own
file(s). Instead, they're stored as resources of DLL file. So changing them
would mean to hack the DLL - whether it was done using a resource editor or
a hex editor software.
SC Tom
2018-05-04 12:09:59 UTC
In the "Win7 won't boot from seat dock" thread, Paul said
(Windows 7 has the canned "juggler balls"
animation, while Win8/Win10 are the "ferris wheel balls".
On Windows 7, there's actually a file with a frame by frame
animation stored in a "very tall" image file.)
That sounds like you've cracked the structure of the animation - have you?
I rather like the idea of being able to have an own-brand animation, like
you could with '9x startup; that used palette switching, and some rather
beautiful startup animations were created for it. (Not by me! Well beyond
my artistic abilities.)
[I vaguely remember something for XP as well, but I think it was more or
less limited to the progress-bar type animation, plus being able to change
a static background image.]
If you want custom animations/text, this says it will do it (I haven't
tested it):

<http://www.techanger.com/change-windows-7-boot-screen/>

Have fun :-)
SC Tom
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-05-04 16:17:12 UTC
Post by SC Tom
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
Thanks. I've now wasted a few hours looking at all the samples people
have made! [Well, not all of them; it's one of those irritating pages
that, when you get near the bottom, loads some more.] Looks dangerous,
so I'll probably wait until next time I do a system image before trying
it out.

[What's your guilty pleasure?] Why should you feel guilty about pleasure? -
Michel Roux Jr in Radio Times 2-8 February 2013