Firefox: Import Saved Links From Chrome?
(PeteCresswell)
2018-03-30 13:30:22 UTC
I come away from reading the "Best Browser?" thread thinking that I should
switch over to FireFox as my primary browser.

I am already using it in situations where Chrome keeps throwing security
confirmation dialogs on local LAN links, but have been put off a wider
switchover by my hundreds of saved links in Chrome.

Is there a way to migrate those to FF?

If so, are FF links automagically synchronized among a user's devices?
Pete Cresswell
VanguardLH
2018-03-30 13:55:43 UTC
Post by (PeteCresswell)
I come away from reading the "Best Browser?" thread thinking that I should
switch over to FireFox as my primary browser.
I am already using it in situations where Chrome keeps throwing security
confirmation dialogs on local LAN links, but have been put off a wider
switchover by my hundreds of saved links in Chrome.
Is there a way to migrate those to FF?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/bookmark-folders-organize-your-bookmarks
(or use Ctrl+Shitd+B to pop up the Library window)

Notice the "Import and Backup" button. Click on the down chevron to
reveal the menu from which you can pick "Import data from Another
Browser". [Google] Chrome is a choice.

As I recall, the imported bookmarks will appear under their own folder
or maybe the one you currently have selected when you do the import. If
they get put under their own folder then you can use the bookmarks
manager to move entire folders (and their subfolders) by dragging to
where you want.
Post by (PeteCresswell)
If so, are FF links automagically synchronized among a user's devices?
Firefox has its on Sync feature. I use it to keep my desktop Firefox in
sync with my mobile Firefox but I only sync bookmarks, passwords
(logins) and options. Although I have add-ons selected for sync, that
only seems to work across Firefox on desktops. I have to install any
add-ons into the mobile Firefox (so far, only uBlock Origin).

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/sync/
Mathedman
2018-03-30 14:23:30 UTC
Post by (PeteCresswell)
I come away from reading the "Best Browser?" thread thinking that I should
switch over to FireFox as my primary browser.
I am already using it in situations where Chrome keeps throwing security
confirmation dialogs on local LAN links, but have been put off a wider
switchover by my hundreds of saved links in Chrome.
Is there a way to migrate those to FF?
If so, are FF links automagically synchronized among a user's devices?
Off topic, I guess. But, in my view, Chrome is malware!
And, it frequently comes with free-ware stuff. Try getting rid
of it! I had to do a system restore to get my computer back!
ken1943
2018-03-30 14:27:42 UTC
Post by Mathedman
Post by (PeteCresswell)
I come away from reading the "Best Browser?" thread thinking that I should
switch over to FireFox as my primary browser.
I am already using it in situations where Chrome keeps throwing security
confirmation dialogs on local LAN links, but have been put off a wider
switchover by my hundreds of saved links in Chrome.
Is there a way to migrate those to FF?
If so, are FF links automagically synchronized among a user's devices?
Off topic, I guess. But, in my view, Chrome is malware!
And, it frequently comes with free-ware stuff. Try getting rid
of it! I had to do a system restore to get my computer back!
Never had any problems except it coming with other programs. I
switched to Chrome because FF had too many problems with web sites and
I don't go to any 'bad' sites.

Ken
David E. Ross
2018-03-30 16:35:51 UTC
Post by Mathedman
Post by (PeteCresswell)
I come away from reading the "Best Browser?" thread thinking that I should
switch over to FireFox as my primary browser.
I am already using it in situations where Chrome keeps throwing security
confirmation dialogs on local LAN links, but have been put off a wider
switchover by my hundreds of saved links in Chrome.
Is there a way to migrate those to FF?
If so, are FF links automagically synchronized among a user's devices?
Off topic, I guess. But, in my view, Chrome is malware!
And, it frequently comes with free-ware stuff. Try getting rid
of it! I had to do a system restore to get my computer back!
I got unwanted installation of Chrome when I installed a Flash version
for Internet Explorer and also when I updated AVG AntiVirus Free. Both
Adobe (for Flash) and AVG assert that they provide an option not to
install Chrome, but I believe that option is far too obscure.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
From a 1950s song
That should be Donald Trump's theme song. He obviously
does not understand "commitment", whether it is about
policy or marriage.
Big Al
2018-03-30 17:17:12 UTC
Post by David E. Ross
Post by Mathedman
Post by (PeteCresswell)
[...]
Sure it is (obscure), as far out of sight and hard enough for the
average user to opt out!
HTG had a good article about web design and 'dark patterns'.
<https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/how-tech-companies-use-dark-patterns-to-trick-you/>
Paul
2018-03-30 18:57:18 UTC
Post by Mathedman
Post by (PeteCresswell)
I come away from reading the "Best Browser?" thread thinking that I should
switch over to FireFox as my primary browser.
I am already using it in situations where Chrome keeps throwing security
confirmation dialogs on local LAN links, but have been put off a wider
switchover by my hundreds of saved links in Chrome.
Is there a way to migrate those to FF?
If so, are FF links automagically synchronized among a user's devices?
Off topic, I guess. But, in my view, Chrome is malware!
And, it frequently comes with free-ware stuff. Try getting rid
of it! I had to do a system restore to get my computer back!
If it wasn't listed in Programs and Features, search for

chrome.7z # A large file which archives the installer
setup.exe # A small file next to it

The chrome.7z file could be as big as 150MB. The setup.exe is
around 1MB or so.

Then, open a command prompt. If the software is a copy
of the open source version called Chromium, do this

cd /d C:\path\to\those\files

setup.exe --uninstall

If the software is actual Google Chrome (not Chromium), do this

cd /d C:\path\to\those\files

setup.exe --uninstall --multi-install --chrome --system-level

I got those off some web page.

Paul

David E. Ross
2018-03-30 16:32:58 UTC
Post by (PeteCresswell)
I come away from reading the "Best Browser?" thread thinking that I should
switch over to FireFox as my primary browser.
I am already using it in situations where Chrome keeps throwing security
confirmation dialogs on local LAN links, but have been put off a wider
switchover by my hundreds of saved links in Chrome.
Is there a way to migrate those to FF?
If so, are FF links automagically synchronized among a user's devices?
Does Chrome have the capability to export its bookmarks into an HTML
file? If so, do the export. Firefox has the capability to import those
bookmarks from the HTML file. In Firefox, I think you need to go to
[Tools > Bookmarks Manager] to call up the window whose menus include
[Tools > Import HTML].
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
From a 1950s song