"Network Error"?
2018-03-21 13:49:22 UTC
I've just had a box pop up:

Network Error

Windows has detected an IP address conflict

Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this
computer. Contact your network
administrator for help resolving this issue. More details are
available in the Windows System event log.

Close

The thing is, I've not done anything. All I have here are two Windows 7
computers and the router; the other W7 computer has blanked its screen
as I haven't touched it for hours, and this machine I've been using -
just reading and posting here, and the odd bit of browser use - for
hours, so why has this box just popped up now?

Clicking "Close" ... nothing happened other than the box going away.
Quick check - browser can still load a page, so I've still got
connection.

The average age of a single mum in this country is 37
- Jane Rackham, RT 2016/5/28-6/3
KenW
2018-03-21 13:58:45 UTC
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 13:49:22 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Network Error
Windows has detected an IP address conflict
Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this
computer. Contact your network
administrator for help resolving this issue. More details are
available in the Windows System event log.
Close
The thing is, I've not done anything. All I have here are two Windows 7
computers and the router; the other W7 computer has blanked its screen
as I haven't touched it for hours, and this machine I've been using -
just reading and posting here, and the odd bit of browser use - for
hours, so why has this box just popped up now?
Clicking "Close" ... nothing happened other than the box going away.
Quick check - browser can still load a page, so I've still got
connection.
Windows 'burp' or 'fart'. My thought would be a network lease change.

KenW
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-21 14:39:19 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Network Error
Windows has detected an IP address conflict
Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this
[]
Post by KenW
Windows 'burp' or 'fart'. My thought would be a network lease change.
[]
Sounds plausible. Would my wifi router (which I believe is what controls
my "network") instigate a lease refresh from time to time? (If so, how
often? I'm not saying I haven't seen this box before - though I'm not
sure I have - but if I have, it certainly hasn't been for a _long_
time.)

The average age of a single mum in this country is 37
- Jane Rackham, RT 2016/5/28-6/3
Char Jackson
2018-03-21 15:35:57 UTC
Post by KenW
Windows 'burp' or 'fart'. My thought would be a network lease change.
[]
Sounds plausible. Would my wifi router (which I believe is what controls
my "network") instigate a lease refresh from time to time?
Not exactly. If you're using DHCP to manage IP addressing on your LAN it
will be the DHCP *client* (the PC) that instigates the request for a new
lease. The DHCP *server* (presumably in your router, but not technically
a requirement) will typically comply with the client request by either
extending the current lease or issuing a new lease.

You can probably see the lease duration by visiting the DHCP page in
your router, or by checking the lease on a PC shortly after it has been
renewed. The client will ask the server for a lease extension at the 50%
point, then again at the 75% point if the previous request was ignored.
There's more after that, but it shouldn't be required. In a client (PC),
you can do a manual release and renew, in case you want to see what a
full lease duration is.

By the way, do you have WiFi enabled on your router? It's possible, for
small values of possible, that someone else temporarily joined your
wireless network and they accidentally used the same IP that you were
using.
2018-03-21 15:54:33 UTC
Post by KenW
[...]
When a renewal is requested and granted, is it an extension of the
existing lease, or is the existing one terminated and a new one taken
out? (Just curious; I don't seem to have any problem.)
Post by Char Jackson
By the way, do you have WiFi enabled on your router? It's possible, for
small values of possible, that someone else temporarily joined your
wireless network and they accidentally used the same IP that you were
using.
Yes, the two computers are connected to the router by wifi. The same
thought had occurred to me - but it seems unlikely: I'm fairly rural
(put TN27 0DD into Google Maps - I'm the red roof on the north side): I
don't think any of my few neighbours would, and I think I'm sufficiently
far from the road to be out of range from there.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. -Ambrose Bierce, writer
(1842-1914)
Char Jackson
2018-03-21 19:51:43 UTC
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 15:54:33 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
You can probably see the lease duration by visiting the DHCP page in
your router, or by checking the lease on a PC shortly after it has been
renewed. The client will ask the server for a lease extension at the 50%
point, then again at the 75% point if the previous request was ignored.
There's more after that, but it shouldn't be required. In a client (PC),
you can do a manual release and renew, in case you want to see what a
full lease duration is.
When a renewal is requested and granted, is it an extension of the
existing lease, or is the existing one terminated and a new one taken
out? (Just curious; I don't seem to have any problem.)
In my experience, the current lease is simply extended to match the
configured lease duration. I'm talking about consumer gear in a home
environment.

DHCP is certainly capable of issuing a new IP address when the lease
renewal comes in, but that would be uncommon in a home environment. It
shouldn't happen automatically; you'd have to make a config change to
force it. For example, change the DHCP scope/range in the DHCP server,
or change the lease duration. Upon the next renewal, the DHCP client
will pick up the changes.
Stephen
2018-03-22 21:17:22 UTC
[...]
or the router got rebooted, lost the current allocation table, and so
just issued the 1st address again.......
Stephen
KenW
2018-03-21 15:37:48 UTC
Post by KenW
Windows 'burp' or 'fart'. My thought would be a network lease change.
[]
Sounds plausible. Would my wifi router (which I believe is what controls
my "network") instigate a lease refresh from time to time? (If so, how
often? I'm not saying I haven't seen this box before - though I'm not
sure I have - but if I have, it certainly hasn't been for a _long_
time.)
From what I found either Windows or router can be programmed for lease
time. After that I have no idea. I have seen lease times for anywhere
from a day to a month. I don't think my TP-Link Router has a setting
for that, so I have to look through manual. I would try a search like
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
windows 7 lease time < and see what pops up. I have had routers that
had a lease time setting.

KenW
KenW
2018-03-21 15:52:45 UTC
Post by KenW
Windows 'burp' or 'fart'. My thought would be a network lease change.
[]
Sounds plausible. Would my wifi router (which I believe is what controls
my "network") instigate a lease refresh from time to time? (If so, how
often? I'm not saying I haven't seen this box before - though I'm not
sure I have - but if I have, it certainly hasn't been for a _long_
time.)
My tp-link c7 router has the dhcp time under the dhcp setting and a
time anywhere from 2 to 2880 minutes.

KenW
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-21 17:40:44 UTC
Post by KenW
Windows 'burp' or 'fart'. My thought would be a network lease change.
[]
Sounds plausible. Would my wifi router (which I believe is what controls
my "network") instigate a lease refresh from time to time? (If so, how
My tp-link c7 router has the dhcp time under the dhcp setting and a
time anywhere from 2 to 2880 minutes.
That's 2 days. If I've ever seen that popup before, it was certainly
more than 2 days ago.
Post by Char Jackson
KenW
No problem - all seems to be well. Just, as you said, a Windows burp or
fart, I think.

But this can only happen if we replace the urge to blame with the urge to
learn so that it is safe for staff to admit errors and raise concerns without
the fear of being punished.
- Former MI5 boss Eliza Manningham-Buller, RT 2016/5/7-13