What is a good searchable archive for these mainstream Windows newsgroups?
ultred ragnusen
2018-03-05 08:04:23 UTC
What is a good searchable archive for these mainstream Windows newsgroups?
* alt.windows7.general
* alt.comp.os.windows-8
* alt.comp.os.windows-10

Given these Google Groups archives don't exist:
* https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.windows7.general
* https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.comp.os.windows-8
* https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.comp.os.windows-10

The only mainstream Windows ng archive that I know exists is:
* https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Whose shorthand URL is:
* http://tinyurl.com/microsoft-public-windowsxp-gen (30-character limit)

What is a good searchable archive for these mainstream Windows newsgroups?
Char Jackson
2018-03-05 10:37:14 UTC
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 08:04:23 +0000 (UTC), ultred ragnusen
Post by ultred ragnusen
What is a good searchable archive for these mainstream Windows newsgroups?
What is a good searchable archive for these mainstream Windows newsgroups?
(Duplicate question)

The best archive is any premium Usenet provider such as, for example,
Giganews. They advertise 14 years of retention for text groups, which
should be more than enough to cover multiple Windows versions.

Sign up for the free trial and download 14 years worth of text posts in
all of your interesting groups. Now you have a searchable archive.
You'll have to make some additional arrangements if you intend to keep
it updated, but it's a great start if you're looking for an archive
that's always available and easy to search.

I assume you'll need an actual news client since your collection of
scripts may not be ideally suited for the task, but I could be wrong
about that.
ultred ragnusen
2018-03-05 12:06:38 UTC
(Duplicate question)
Heh heh ... that's a fair observation, but where there's a philosophically
logical reason that:
a. The subject line
b. Is the same as the first line
c. Which is the same as the last line

1. The subject asks the question
2. The first line asks the question (often with more detail)
3. The last line repeats the question (which is what people quote)

It's one logical way to structure a properly organized Usenet request.
Post by Char Jackson
The best archive is any premium Usenet provider such as, for example,
Giganews. They advertise 14 years of retention for text groups, which
should be more than enough to cover multiple Windows versions.
IMHO, the best answer is an answer that /everyone/ can use, which is
generally the /free/ no-registration type of answer that works for everyone
right off the bat.

If there is no "good" answer, then we can move on to lesser evils, such as
your suggestion below ... which is a valid suggestion given the question.
https://www.giganews.com/
Post by Char Jackson
Sign up for the free trial and download 14 years worth of text posts in
all of your interesting groups. Now you have a searchable archive.
That's an interesting approach, which is, to be generic:
a. Create a throwaway email address
b. Sign up for the free Giganews trial (presumably it won't need a CC)
c. Download the past 14 years of news to your hard drive
d. Figure out how to search through that (there are utilities for that).

I just tested it, and it does require not only a credit card, but all the
normal payment information you'd expect of a credit card (e.g., your
billing name and address) even as it says "You won't be billed unless you
keep your account open past your 14-day free trial".

So this is an "acceptable" method, but not a good one (IMHO), unless you're
adept at throw-away credit cards (which I'm not).
Post by Char Jackson
You'll have to make some additional arrangements if you intend to keep
it updated, but it's a great start if you're looking for an archive
that's always available and easy to search.
It works. That's for sure. It may be difficult to search, but maybe not,
since any Usenet newsreader cna search its downloaded files (as long as the
files are in a format suitable for your newsreader).
Post by Char Jackson
I assume you'll need an actual news client since your collection of
scripts may not be ideally suited for the task, but I could be wrong
about that.
That's a good observation on your part, in that I don't actually use a
Usenet newsreader, but where the assortment of findutils I have at my
disposal can 'grep' through the mess pretty quickly.

For a general user, they'd likely use the same Usenet newsreader to search
through the 14 years of text archives as they used to download the articles
in the first place.

Thanks for this hint - which wasn't what I had expected.
What I had expected is a web site known to archive the three Windows ngs.

Does anyone know of a searchable web site that archives these newsgroups?
* alt.windows7.general
* alt.comp.os.windows-8
* alt.comp.os.windows-1
Char Jackson
2018-03-05 16:12:14 UTC
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 12:06:38 +0000 (UTC), ultred ragnusen
Post by ultred ragnusen
Post by Char Jackson
(Duplicate question)
Heh heh ... that's a fair observation, but where there's a philosophically
a. The subject line
b. Is the same as the first line
c. Which is the same as the last line
Yes, I know that's why you do it. I just find it redundant. It seems to
be geared toward people with a short attention span.

One of my work colleagues writes that way and the rest of us find it
annoying. :-)
ultred ragnusen
2018-03-05 17:01:47 UTC
I just find it redundant.
It /is/ redundant.
Post by Char Jackson
It seems to be geared toward people with a short attention span.
It's geared to courtesy, in three different ways ...

1. My subject lines is a /courtesy/ to the reader because it's the question
in and of itself.

Many people, for whatever reason that I have never been able to fathom, put
a subject line of just a word or two, say, "screwdriver" or "metric" or
"metric screwdrivers" (etc.) as the subject line. Why? I don't know why. I
think their brains can't handle full sentences maybe? I don't know why but
it's common, as you know, for the subject line to be like the way you label
your toolbox drawers "Pliers", "Screwdrivers", "Hammers", instead of "Why
don't they make screwdrivers in metric sizes?".

2. My first line is the question, but with enough detail if the subject
line had to be truncated. This is a /courtesy/ to the reader so they know
exactly what the topic is about, because, well, um, er ... Lord knows, I
can get verbose with the details in the body.

I don't want the reader to get lost, so, as a courtesy to the reader, the
first line is what the thread is going to be about. Something like,
"I just bought a set of screwdrivers but they don't fit because I have a
metric vehicle so I ask why they don't make them in metric sizes" (or
whatever).

3. The summary line is again, a courtesy for the reader to be able to
select it to quote. It's a courtesy to everyone to keep the quotes short
and on topic.

As you know, I've posted probably 100K posts on Usenet over the years,
where almost ever post is a question how to do something, and where, sub
consciously, that's how I start off the question.

YMMV.
Wolf K
2018-03-05 20:21:42 UTC
On 2018-03-05 12:01, ultred ragnusen wrote:
[...]
Post by ultred ragnusen
As you know, I've posted probably 100K posts on Usenet over the years,
[...]

If the post I snipped is typical, your posts cots you two to three
minutes each on average. Or about 3400 to 5100 hours in total. Or time
equivalent to 1-1/2 to 2-1/4 years of full time work.

Have a good day,
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
weeks ago."
ultred ragnusen
2018-03-05 21:18:19 UTC
Post by Wolf K
If the post I snipped is typical, your posts cots you two to three
minutes each on average. Or about 3400 to 5100 hours in total. Or time
equivalent to 1-1/2 to 2-1/4 years of full time work.
Given my posts are chock full of well researched details, and tons of
philosophical tangents, I should write a philosophy book instead!

:)
Ken Blake
2018-03-05 22:49:05 UTC
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 21:18:19 +0000 (UTC), ultred ragnusen
Post by ultred ragnusen
Post by Wolf K
If the post I snipped is typical, your posts cots you two to three
minutes each on average. Or about 3400 to 5100 hours in total. Or time
equivalent to 1-1/2 to 2-1/4 years of full time work.
Given my posts are chock full of well researched details, and tons of
philosophical tangents, I should write a philosophy book instead!
Bragging again. Every time I see someone brag, it teaches me not to
trust anything he says.
ultred ragnusen
2018-03-06 14:49:49 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Bragging again. Every time I see someone brag, it teaches me not to
trust anything he says.
I guess, as Char Jackson says at times, I should have placed a tell-tale
winkie in the prior whimsical responses. :)

Nonetheless, let's not continue to pollute this thread with Ken's or Wolf's
inexplicable dislike of the question, for reasons only known to them.

Notwithstanding that Char Jackson may be the only one on this newgroup with
a viable answer, my only objection to his, otherwise sage, suggestion, is
that it's not generally available sans loss of privacy (or effort to
protect it).

Hence, the question remains:

Does /anyone/ on these newsgroups know of a generally searchable archive
for these three Windows newsgroups:
* alt.windows7.general
* alt.comp.os.windows-8
* alt.comp.os.windows-10
--
Note: If you don't know of an answer, and even if you hate the question for
whatever reasons, known only to you, it's still best for everyone if you
just remain silent if you have no value to add.
Ken Blake
2018-03-06 15:05:46 UTC
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 14:49:49 +0000 (UTC), ultred ragnusen
Post by ultred ragnusen
Post by Ken Blake
Bragging again. Every time I see someone brag, it teaches me not to
trust anything he says.
I guess, as Char Jackson says at times, I should have placed a tell-tale
winkie in the prior whimsical responses. :)
You can call it whimsical, but to me it was very clear that it was
bragging.
Frank Slootweg
2018-03-06 15:50:33 UTC
Post by ultred ragnusen
Post by Ken Blake
Bragging again. Every time I see someone brag, it teaches me not to
trust anything he says.
I guess, as Char Jackson says at times, I should have placed a tell-tale
winkie in the prior whimsical responses. :)
You can call it whimsical, but to me it was very clear that it was
bragging.
Ken,

You will be pleased to know that your post has just been archived in
a good searchable archive for these mainstream Windows newsgroups!

I just have to wait a bit for mine to arrive there and then we'll have
to wait a bit longer to see how long "permanently" really is!

BTW, there are '(6 Viewing) ' in '-10' and '(8 Viewing)' in
'windows7'. Scary, isn't it! :-)
Wolf K
weeks ago."
Frank Slootweg
2018-03-06 15:37:45 UTC
Post by ultred ragnusen
What is a good searchable archive for these mainstream Windows newsgroups?
* alt.windows7.general
* alt.comp.os.windows-8
* alt.comp.os.windows-10
* https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.windows7.general
* https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.comp.os.windows-8
What about this?

<https://www.google.nl/search?&q=%22What+is+a+good+searchable+archive+for+these+mainstream+Windows+newsgroups%22>

Elementary, dear Watson!

They don't says what "permanently" really means, but it's probably
worth a look/ask. Maybe 'they' will even talk back at 'us' and let you
know.
Wolf K
2018-03-06 16:42:32 UTC
Post by Frank Slootweg
Post by ultred ragnusen
What is a good searchable archive for these mainstream Windows newsgroups?
* alt.windows7.general
* alt.comp.os.windows-8
* alt.comp.os.windows-10
* https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.windows7.general
* https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.comp.os.windows-8
What about this?
<https://www.google.nl/search?&q=%22What+is+a+good+searchable+archive+for+these+mainstream+Windows+newsgroups%22>
Elementary, dear Watson!
They don't says what "permanently" really means, but it's probably
worth a look/ask. Maybe 'they' will even talk back at 'us' and let you
know.
OK, now I know there is one.

Thanks, Frank.
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
weeks ago."
ultred ragnusen
2018-03-06 16:58:37 UTC
Post by Wolf K
Post by Frank Slootweg
They don't says what "permanently" really means, but it's probably
worth a look/ask. Maybe 'they' will even talk back at 'us' and let you
know.
OK, now I know there is one.
SOLVED!
Thank you Frank (and Char Jackson) for adding value.

By design, every thread, and every post, should provided added value.
Here is my added-value solution for the tribal knowledge of the group:

Q: What is a good searchable archive for these Windows newsgroups?
* alt.windows7.general
* alt.comp.os.windows-8
* alt.comp.os.windows-10

A: These are searchable archives for those Windows newsgroups: