Explorer Duplicate Folder Listings !
Add Reply
SteveGG
2017-08-06 15:04:49 UTC
It's been a couple of weeks so posting about this again in hopes for a
solution. Explorer has 2 identical listings. The 1st behaves normally
in every respect TG. The 2nd listed right after the 1st is an exact
mirror image of all the the dirrectories of the 1st but no files
contained therein AND nothing in the 2nd is accessible And nothing can
be moved or deleted. It says something about the dirrectory being
moved. This is not a serious problem since the 1st works fine and the
2nd is just an extra single line in the Exolorer. Still would like to
see whats going on etc.
Paul
2017-08-06 17:36:18 UTC
Post by SteveGG
It's been a couple of weeks so posting about this again in hopes for a
solution. Explorer has 2 identical listings. The 1st behaves normally
in every respect TG. The 2nd listed right after the 1st is an exact
mirror image of all the the dirrectories of the 1st but no files
contained therein AND nothing in the 2nd is accessible And nothing can
be moved or deleted. It says something about the dirrectory being
moved. This is not a serious problem since the 1st works fine and the
2nd is just an extra single line in the Exolorer. Still would like to
see whats going on etc.
You should have tossed in the obligatory screenshot evidence from
your previous thread.

https://postimg.org/gallery/iwnvo96e/

Weren't you the person who at one time, tried to eliminate
one of these two, so that your computer only had one of them ?
You wanted the 32 bit and 64 bit programs to be in one tree ???

Program Files
Program Files (x86)

Maybe in the process of doing so, you succeeded.

*******

There might be a typo in the table here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd378457%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

It could be that this one is for an x86 OS.

FOLDERID_ProgramFiles GUID {905e63b6-c1bf-494e-b29c-65b732d3d21a} "Program Files"

And these two could be for an x64 OS, which has both folders.

FOLDERID_ProgramFilesX64 GUID {6D809377-6AF0-444b-8957-A3773F02200E} "Program Files"

FOLDERID_ProgramFilesX86 GUID {7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E} "Program Files (x86)"

While a person might assume that File Explorer is only listing
things by filenum or file name, it's also possible that it
uses GUID for some reason. But for the most part, File Explorer
divides sections of that pane, so Quick Access or Recently Used,
they're separate from regular file system scanning. If File Explorer
was designed to do something goofy like that, the two instances
really should not appear next to one another (without a separator
bar in the way).

If I was bored, I might fire up Regedit, and search for those GUID strings
and see if something got botched there. And no, humans aren't meant
to understand what they see in there.

You already tried some file listing utilities, and didn't
notice anything unusual in there. So I'm not going to
pursue that topic again.

It's up to you to have the initiative to fix it. Unless someone
gets lucky in a Google search, the answer isn't going to pop out
of thin air. And my guess is, this was an "own goal" thing,
where you broke it while messing around. That makes it unlikely
that a second person broke it in exactly the same way, but was
then clever enough to provide full details on a web page.

Paul
SteveGG
2017-08-07 13:16:15 UTC
No, if you count the Program Files (x86) there are 3. The 2nd Program
Files is an exact duplicate listing of the 1st dirrectories without
any content in any of the dirrectories and no function or access. VERY
strange.
Post by Paul
Weren't you the person who at one time, tried to eliminate
one of these two, so that your computer only had one of them ?
You wanted the 32 bit and 64 bit programs to be in one tree ???
Yes, that was me
Post by Paul
[...]
Thanks for providing an amazing amount of info but you're way out of
my league. My "problem" is just a single duplicate line Program Files.
Just curious and like to eliminate it.
SteveGG
2017-08-07 13:40:47 UTC
Something very strange has happened. I responded to your post and all
went OK, but then it mysteriously vanished !