Keyboard Goes Dead
FreeMan
2018-03-13 19:38:44 UTC
Win XP Pro. Lenovo T500

Need to figure out why my laptop keyboard sometimes goes dead.
I cannot associate it with anything.

No other problems.

I see no Fn button to do this.

The USB mouse keeps working.
The mouse pad is turned off.

What apps might cause this ?
What actions I might have taken would cause this ?

Is there some Win+Key that does this ?

Suggestions please.
Mike Easter
2018-03-13 21:19:12 UTC
Win XP Pro.  Lenovo T500
Need to figure out why my laptop keyboard sometimes goes dead.
I cannot associate it with anything.
No other problems.
I see no Fn button to do this.
The USB mouse keeps working.
The mouse pad is turned off.
What apps might cause this ?
What actions I might have taken would cause this ?
Is there some Win+Key that does this ?
Suggestions please.
Many people want to be able to disable the touchpad because it can be
activated accidentally during typing.

I believe Fn + F8 disables/enables the touchpad.

If you are using a USB mouse, it would be better to keep the touchpad
disabled altogether. I don't know if you can disable the touchpad in
the BIOS of the T500.

There is not a function to disable the keyboard, except that someone has
written software to disable the keyboard and touchpad and also turn off
the sleep mode - because it would be difficult to awaken a sleeping
computer with the kb & touchpad/mouse disabled.

https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=271474&tstart=0
Post by Mike Easter
[...]
combination
I'm not aware of any keystroke or function keys for disabling the
keyboard so I don't think it's something you are doing.

You might want to check out the power settings and verify anything
related to keyboard is told to not power down try to save power in any
fashion.

Unless you are using the bootleg patch you would not have any Windows
Update trashing your system. But still, it might be worth burning a
restore point back to a date before this started happening. Possibly
something sneaked in and is confusing your keyboard's driver.

The keyboards do plug into a connector on the motherboard and it is
possible for it to come partially loose. A quick YouTube search should
get you a how-to on removing/replacing the keyboard for your model.
Take care as some of those connectors can be quite fragile.

When you get the problem, try plugging in a USB keyboard and see if it
too fails to work. That would indicate something in the Operating
System or motherboard. If it works just fine while the internal
keyboard is still dead then if it were mine I'd be looking into the
keyboard connector.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-14 14:00:16 UTC
In message <p8agqt$gb6$***@gioia.aioe.org>, GlowingBlueMist
<***@blackhole.io> writes:
[]
Post by GlowingBlueMist
Post by Mike Easter
Many people want to be able to disable the touchpad because it can
be activated accidentally during typing.
I believe Fn + F8 disables/enables the touchpad.
That's pretty model (or at least make) dependent. On this Toshiba
Portégé, there's a little long button between touchpad and spacebar that
toggles it, as well as Fn+F9 (no, I don't know why they've provided two
methods either!); Fn+F8 toggles the wireless.

But that's the touchpad, not the keyboard.
Post by GlowingBlueMist
Post by Mike Easter
If you are using a USB mouse, it would be better to keep the
touchpad disabled altogether.  I don't know if you can disable the
That's very _user_-dependent (-:. If you're using an external mouse
because you can't get on with keypads, yes, disable it; I find there are
things both mice and keypads are better at (different for each, of
course), plus my fingers are _used_ to using a keypad when I'm using a
laptop, so I'd probably leave it enabled.

But again, that's probably a red herring/irrelevant to the problem!
[]
Post by GlowingBlueMist
I'm not aware of any keystroke or function keys for disabling the
keyboard so I don't think it's something you are doing.
Me neither.
[]
Post by GlowingBlueMist
Unless you are using the bootleg patch you would not have any Windows
Update trashing your system. But still, it might be worth burning a
restore point back to a date before this started happening. Possibly
something sneaked in and is confusing your keyboard's driver.
Shouldn't hurt. Although as the OP has said he can't associate it
happening with anything, it'll be difficult to prove it's been fixed
(though that will apply to our other suggestions below too).
Post by GlowingBlueMist
The keyboards do plug into a connector on the motherboard and it is
[Or I think sometimes into a connector on a little board/card that it
itself connected to the mobo.]
Post by GlowingBlueMist
possible for it to come partially loose. A quick YouTube search should
get you a how-to on removing/replacing the keyboard for your model.
Take care as some of those connectors can be quite fragile.
May well involve removing some of the screws from underneath. (Including
ones under other things - such as inside the battery, HD, or RAM flap.)
As GBM says, there may well be a YouTube clip showing such details.

The connector is often just the stiffened end of the ribbon from the
keyboard, which goes into a connector and it held down by a (fragile!)
plastic clip.
Post by GlowingBlueMist
When you get the problem, try plugging in a USB keyboard and see if it
too fails to work. That would indicate something in the Operating
System or motherboard. If it works just fine while the internal
keyboard is still dead then if it were mine I'd be looking into the
keyboard connector.
Good thinking.

(If you find you _do_ need to replace the keyboard, and your model comes
in white, consider getting a white keyboard, even if your laptop isn't:
they're _much_ easier to see in low light!)

They are public servants, so we will threat them rather as Flashman treats
servants. - Stephen Fry on some people's attitudo to the BBC, in Radio Times,
3-9 July 2010
croy
2018-03-15 16:06:44 UTC
On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 14:19:12 -0700, Mike Easter <***@ster.invalid> wrote:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but did you go to Izaak Walton Intermediate School?
--
croy