Can I use a remote printer driver locally?
mike
2018-05-17 10:16:37 UTC
I have a Citizen 120D dot-matrix printer dedicated
as a label printer.
I use windows XP with Word 2000 and the Avery template.
Works fine.

I'd like to decommission the XP OS and move up to win7.
Can't find any drivers for the Citizen 120D.
The generic win7 driver prints garbage.
I'm not sure I ever had any drivers for XP; the OS
finds and installs them.

I set up the XP printer as networked.
Now, I can run word on the win7 machine and use the
networked Citizen 120D on XP to print.
That's better, but still doesn't get rid of the
XP machine.

When I setup the remote printer on the win7 machine,
it says it's installing a driver for the printer.
Is there a way to use that driver for local printing
from the win7 machine to the Citizen 120D plugged into
the parallel port of the win7 machine?

On the XP machine, I used double driver to backup the drivers.
There's a directory for printers, but the only thing in there
is the Dymo label printer that I manually installed.
Printers automatically installed by windows don't show up.
Yes, I backed up ALL the drivers.

After some googling,
I found cit9us.drv which is supposed to be the driver,
but maybe for win95.
I don't know where to stick it ;-) Printer drivers
seem to use a whole other mechanism to install.

Is there any way to get this dot matrix printer to work
on a win7...and later win10 machine?
SC Tom
2018-05-17 11:39:19 UTC
Post by mike
[...]
You might try the driver from here:
<http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=citizen%20120D>
SC Tom
mike
2018-05-17 23:14:03 UTC
Post by SC Tom
Post by mike
[...]
Thanks for the tutorial. I'd forgotten about that path.
Sometimes I even forget whether I put my shoes on...
Don't get old...it sucks.
mike
2018-05-18 00:42:57 UTC
Post by SC Tom
Post by mike
I have a Citizen 120D dot-matrix printer dedicated
as a label printer.
I use windows XP with Word 2000 and the Avery template.
Works fine.
snip
Post by SC Tom
<http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=citizen%20120D>
Win7 pro sp1 32-bit

I downloaded the i386 version and unpacked the cab file.
Tried to install the .inf file but that method is not supported.
Went to devices and printers and pointed it at the unpacked cab file.
Installed the driver.
Test page printed properly.
If I try to print from word, the printer shows up in the printer
selection box and prints ok.

BUT

There is no icon in devices and printers for the Citizen 120D.
I rebooted justincase. NO change.
I reinstalled it again. Still no icons.
The registry has entries for the 120D and the 120D+ in several keys.

I installed a different printer that was in the list.
It does get an icon.

I backed it all out by restoring the restore point and reinstalled
the driver only once.

The situation is not an emergency, but would be nice to be able
to delete/modify the printer if I ever needed it.

In a separate experiment, I allowed devices and printers to update
the list of supported printers. I waited and waited and waited.
Finally it complained that it could not download the list.

I had turned off updates years ago. It may be that some intermediate
update was required for the driver download to work. I turned updates
back on and there are over a hundred pending.
The devices and printers list download option still fails.
I'd rather not install
all those just to see if it makes the printer icon appear.

It's always something...
Wolf K
2018-05-17 12:26:34 UTC
Post by mike
I have a Citizen 120D dot-matrix printer dedicated
as a label printer.
I use windows XP with Word 2000 and the Avery template.
Works fine.
I'd like to decommission the XP OS and move up to win7.
Can't find any drivers for the Citizen 120D.
The generic win7 driver prints garbage.
I'm not sure I ever had any drivers for XP; the OS
finds and installs them.
I set up the XP printer as networked.
Now, I can run word on the win7 machine and use the
networked Citizen 120D on XP to print.
That's better, but still doesn't get rid of the
XP machine. [...]
Well, I know you didn't ask about this, but IMO using the XP machine as
a dedicated printer server would be a good use for it. Until the
hardware gives up, that is. In The Olden Days, using one machine on a
network as the printer server was common practice.

Best,
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and
what is right to do. Potter Stewart
mike
It's all about space to put it.
Ammammata
2018-05-18 10:28:19 UTC
Il giorno Fri 18 May 2018 01:11:01a, *mike* ha inviato su
Post by mike
Post by Wolf K
Well, I know you didn't ask about this, but IMO using the XP machine as
a dedicated printer server would be a good use for it. Until the
hardware gives up, that is. In The Olden Days, using one machine on a
network as the printer server was common practice.
Best,
It's all about space to put it.
if w7 is professional you can try with xp-mode to run the "printer server"
it occupies just resources but not physical space :)
--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
Post by mike
Post by Wolf K
http://www.bb2002.it :) <<<<<
........... [ al lavoro ] ...........
GlowingBlueMist
2018-05-17 16:31:55 UTC
Post by mike
[...]
When the PC asks for the printer model try telling it it's not there.
Then when given the chance tell Windows to update the list of printers.
I just did that on my Windows 10/1803 system. With out the update it
did not display ANY Citizen printers but after the update, which can
take quite a while, as in 10 min to hours, it found a list of Citizen
printers. One of which was the 120D+.

I'm thinking if Windows 10 can find drivers for it that surely your Win7
machine should be able to find a Citizen 120D driver after the driver
list is updated.