Lenovo T500
Mario'sBrother
2018-03-17 21:59:21 UTC
Function keys ?
are function keys in need of drivers ?
How do they get their juice ?

e.g. Do not work
under F2 is a Lock icon.
under F4 is a Moon icon
etc ...

These work
under Home/End is a screen brightness up/down
under PgDn is a keyboard light.
Mike Easter
2018-03-17 23:04:10 UTC
Post by Mario'sBrother
Function keys ?
are function keys in need of drivers ?
How do they get their juice ?
e.g. Do not work
under F2 is a Lock icon.
under F4 is a Moon icon
etc ...
These work
under Home/End is a screen brightness up/down
There is a T500 Hardware Maintenance manual which has some info about
the Fn + Function keys on pp.55-57:

FnF2 = Lock
FnF4 = Standby
FnF5 = wifi on/off

... and the status lights on pp. 50-51.

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/43y6630_03.pdf
Mike Easter
John K.Eason
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
*Date:* Sat, 17 Mar 2018 14:59:21 -0700
Function keys ?
are function keys in need of drivers ?
How do they get their juice ?
e.g. Do not work
under F2 is a Lock icon.
under F4 is a Moon icon
etc ...
These work
under Home/End is a screen brightness up/down
under PgDn is a keyboard light.
Are you holding down the bottom-left Fn key when you use F2 and F4? - That's how
my Lenovo N500 works. The symbol on the Fn key is in orange which means you use
that to get to the functions in orange on the function keys. (Works like shift with
the number keys.)
--
Regards
John (***@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk) Remove the obvious to reply...
Paul in Houston TX
2018-03-18 01:49:15 UTC
Post by Mario'sBrother
Function keys ?
are function keys in need of drivers ?
How do they get their juice ?
e.g. Do not work
under F2 is a Lock icon.
under F4 is a Moon icon
etc ...
These work
under Home/End is a screen brightness up/down
under PgDn is a keyboard light.
My T410/W32 and T420/W64 required drivers for the F keys.
I found out when I tried installing W64 on the T410 but did not load
all the files. Some F keys worked and some did not, at least until
I installed ALL of them.
Unfortunately the list at Lenovo does not specify and I don't
remember which driver files do what.
You may need to re-install all of them.
https://download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html
VanguardLH
2018-03-18 01:51:36 UTC
Post by Mario'sBrother
Function keys ?
are function keys in need of drivers ?
How do they get their juice ?
e.g. Do not work
under F2 is a Lock icon.
under F4 is a Moon icon
etc ...
These work
under Home/End is a screen brightness up/down
under PgDn is a keyboard light.
I remember a long time ago when cleaning up a Dell laptop that I removed
and then had to reinstall a driver package to support the F-keys. The
F-keys will work as their scan codes are standard; however, the
alternate functions are macros so the ancilliary software might be
needed to provide those macro functions (the macro software detects the
scan code when the Fn and F-keys are both in depressed/down/on state).

You sure the functions you mention (which are not the actual F-keys but
alternate functions) don't require you hitting an Fn key along with the
F-key (i.e., Fn+<fkey>)? Are those alternate actions colored (blue)?
If so, the Fn key is probably also colored blue to clue you into using
it for the alternate (blue) functions on the F-keys.