Any Plumber here?
Add Reply
Babu
2018-04-26 01:40:00 UTC
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?

The pipes in my bathroom seems to fail every 4 to 6 weeks because of
air-lock in the pipes and so I don't get any water in shower or taps.
Is here a permanent solution for this?

I am tired of calling plumbers all the time. Some times I use my vacuum
cleaner to suck out air from the pipes and it works and sometimes it
doesn't so I need to call a plumber.

Thank you.
Monty
2018-04-26 02:51:50 UTC
Post by Babu
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?
The pipes in my bathroom seems to fail every 4 to 6 weeks because of
air-lock in the pipes and so I don't get any water in shower or taps.
Is here a permanent solution for this?
I am tired of calling plumbers all the time. Some times I use my vacuum
cleaner to suck out air from the pipes and it works and sometimes it
doesn't so I need to call a plumber.
Thank you.
I am not a plumber but I would post the following question to Google -

** how to remove airlock in house plumbing **
KenW
2018-04-26 04:17:27 UTC
Post by Babu
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?
The pipes in my bathroom seems to fail every 4 to 6 weeks because of
air-lock in the pipes and so I don't get any water in shower or taps.
Is here a permanent solution for this?
I am tired of calling plumbers all the time. Some times I use my vacuum
cleaner to suck out air from the pipes and it works and sometimes it
doesn't so I need to call a plumber.
Thank you.
Not a plumber, but sounds like a plugged vent

KenW
Auric__
2018-04-26 07:03:36 UTC
Post by Babu
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?
The pipes in my bathroom seems to fail every 4 to 6 weeks because of
air-lock in the pipes and so I don't get any water in shower or taps.
Is here a permanent solution for this?
I am tired of calling plumbers all the time. Some times I use my vacuum
cleaner to suck out air from the pipes and it works and sometimes it
doesn't so I need to call a plumber.
I've got to ask, WTF does that have to do with Windows 7? What is it about
this group that made you ask a plumbing question? Seriously, I want to hear
your thought processes here.
--
Such things did not have to be proved; they were an essential part of life...
true throughout eternity, true in the farthest reaches of the Galaxy.
Jukka Lahtinen
2018-04-26 07:27:04 UTC
Post by Auric__
Post by Babu
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?
I've got to ask, WTF does that have to do with Windows 7? What is it about
this group that made you ask a plumbing question? Seriously, I want to hear
Pipes are part of a house, just like windows?
Jukka Lahtinen
Wolf K
2018-04-26 17:17:36 UTC
Post by Jukka Lahtinen
Post by Auric__
Post by Babu
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?
I've got to ask, WTF does that have to do with Windows 7? What is it about
this group that made you ask a plumbing question? Seriously, I want to hear
Pipes are part of a house, just like windows?
Good one!
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
weeks ago."
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-26 13:24:06 UTC
Post by Wolf K
Post by Jukka Lahtinen
Post by Auric__
Post by Babu
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?
I've got to ask, WTF does that have to do with Windows 7? What is it about
this group that made you ask a plumbing question? Seriously, I want to hear
Pipes are part of a house, just like windows?
Good one!
And I have windows: 8!

"Usenet is a way of being annoyed by people you otherwise never would have
met."
- John J. Kinyon
Good Guy
2018-04-26 20:14:52 UTC
And I have windows: 8!
But you can't run Windows 10 because of your low intelligence.
2018-04-26 17:17:22 UTC
Post by Auric__
Post by Babu
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?
The pipes in my bathroom seems to fail every 4 to 6 weeks because of
air-lock in the pipes and so I don't get any water in shower or taps.
Is here a permanent solution for this?
I am tired of calling plumbers all the time. Some times I use my vacuum
cleaner to suck out air from the pipes and it works and sometimes it
doesn't so I need to call a plumber.
I've got to ask, WTF does that have to do with Windows 7? What is it about
this group that made you ask a plumbing question? Seriously, I want to hear
your thought processes here.
OP obviously has faith in both the distribution of expertise in this NG,
and in the general helpfulness of most people.

have a good day,
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
weeks ago."
Paul
2018-04-26 08:50:11 UTC
Post by Babu
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?
The pipes in my bathroom seems to fail every 4 to 6 weeks because of
air-lock in the pipes and so I don't get any water in shower or taps.
Is here a permanent solution for this?
I am tired of calling plumbers all the time. Some times I use my vacuum
cleaner to suck out air from the pipes and it works and sometimes it
doesn't so I need to call a plumber.
Thank you.
I can see alt.home.repair is filled with garbage posts.
So it makes sense to ask the question here (???).

Google:

"hot water heating system air lock"

Heating systems that use hot water and radiators, are prone
to this, and the home owner needs to be trained how to do
the necessary maintenance.

But do they tie hydronic heating systems to a shower ?
But if so, there'd be a "real" pressure source to drive
the shower pressure. The entire hydronic system would
be pressurized to city water pressure, and the radiator
loop would be driven by a recirculation pump (not the shower).

*******

City water or well water ?

Well water systems use a pump and a pressure tank,
to maintain tap water pressure. The pressure tank is
intended to reduce the "cycling" of the pump, so the
contacts don't wear out on the switch.

You can see an illustration of the air lock effect here,
but this is for a gravity feed. Again, not
relevant to your bathroom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_lock

I fail to see how a city water system, with 60 psi
available, is going to air lock. (60psi would be 4atm,
1atm is 33 feet of water, 4atm is 132 feet of head
or around 13 floors high before you can't take a shower.)

This has got to be a mysterious well water system (systems I hate).
For example, the pressure tank can become water logged
(on the air side of the bladder), and need to be taken
care of. Country plumbing systems can have relatively
low water pressure, and who knows what physics become
possible then. Maybe you could manage an air lock on
the second floor of the house ? But your pressure would
likely also be well below a practical level of pressure.
With the air lock removed, maybe there still wouldn't
be sufficient pressure for a shower.

Some of those systems use a jet pump. I believe that's
a kind of aspirator (a vacuum forms over the suction
strainer and pulls water up the well, in reaction to the
main "jet" pumped down from the surface, on the right).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injector#Well_pumps

If your country plumber is any good, they should be
able to explain why your particular setup is prone
to the problem. Rather than just silently fixing it
each time and billing you to death.

If you're going to ask this question in alt.home.repair,
at least have the courtesy to explain to the folks there,
what kind of system you have (city/country/jetpump/immersionpump/
hydronic heating or whatever). Your question makes no sense,
without "context" and "details".

Paul (who is not a plumber, and hates country plumbing questions...
country plumbing sucks...)
Paul
2018-04-26 09:06:59 UTC
Post by Babu
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?
The pipes in my bathroom seems to fail every 4 to 6 weeks because of
air-lock in the pipes and so I don't get any water in shower or taps.
Is here a permanent solution for this?
I am tired of calling plumbers all the time. Some times I use my vacuum
cleaner to suck out air from the pipes and it works and sometimes it
doesn't so I need to call a plumber.
Thank you.
And this is to show you how nutty some of this stuff gets.
This is why you must provide *details* in alt.home.repair .

http://www.civil.uwaterloo.ca/beg/archtech/hot_water_heater_furnace.pdf

Paul
Rene Lamontagne
2018-04-26 14:41:01 UTC
Post by Babu
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?
The pipes in my bathroom seems to fail every 4 to 6 weeks because of
air-lock in the pipes and so I don't get any water in shower or taps.
Is here a permanent solution for this?
I am tired of calling plumbers all the time.  Some times I use my vacuum
cleaner to suck out air from the pipes and it works and sometimes it
doesn't so I need to call a plumber.
Thank you.
And this is to show you how nutty some of this stuff gets.
This is why you must provide *details* in alt.home.repair .
http://www.civil.uwaterloo.ca/beg/archtech/hot_water_heater_furnace.pdf
   Paul
The OPS post does not make a heck of a lot of sense as is, If on City
water pressure of 60 Psi or so as Paul says he is good for some 12
story's Of water pressure. Also How can you possibly hook up a vacuum to
a pressurized water system???

Rene
3rd class Power Engineer.
Mayayana
2018-04-26 14:51:15 UTC
"Rene Lamontagne" <***@shaw.ca> wrote

| The OPS post does not make a heck of a lot of sense as is,

No. Sounds like a practical joke to me. Similar
to the challenge of catching one's refrigerator when
it's caught running. :)
Good Guy
2018-04-26 20:13:35 UTC
Also How can you possibly hook up a vacuum to a pressurized water
system???
You don't have the intelligence or imagination. You can hook up the
vacuum cleaner to the taps and suck out air. It works wonders on 2000W
cleaner. Takes only a few seconds. the OP said he gets no water so
what you are doing is to force the water through the taps by using a
cleaner. The cleaner sucks the air out and some water as well and the
water starts running again.
Rene
3rd class Power Engineer.
3rd class is not good for me. I always go for 1st class. Thank god we
don't have idiots like you here. at 84 you should really be going for
walks and forget about DIY or computers.
Windows Defender software.
//https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/comprehensive-security/
Mathedman
2018-04-26 16:59:04 UTC
Post by Babu
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?
The pipes in my bathroom seems to fail every 4 to 6 weeks because of
air-lock in the pipes and so I don't get any water in shower or taps.
Is here a permanent solution for this?
I am tired of calling plumbers all the time.  Some times I use my vacuum
cleaner to suck out air from the pipes and it works and sometimes it
doesn't so I need to call a plumber.
Thank you.
How can air get into your pipes??? If air can get in, water can get
out at the same place !
The water doesn't leak out into your house so the air is getting in
somewhere out side --probably where the city guys are working
on mains.
Mayayana
2018-04-26 17:05:06 UTC
"Mathedman" <***@hotmail.com> wrote

| How can air get into your pipes??? If air can get in, water can get
| out at the same place !

Did you ever shut off the water to work on plumbing?
It typically spits when you turn it back on because air
has got up into the pipe and has to be cleared. The
difference here, though, is that the OP has some kind
of super-dense air that can't be pushed out by water
pressure.
Mathedman
2018-04-27 13:47:15 UTC
Post by Mayayana
| How can air get into your pipes??? If air can get in, water can get
| out at the same place !
Did you ever shut off the water to work on plumbing?
It typically spits when you turn it back on because air
has got up into the pipe and has to be cleared. The
difference here, though, is that the OP has some kind
of super-dense air that can't be pushed out by water
pressure.
That's a whole different thing. That means that the water has been shut
off for some kind of work (which opens the line) and then closed!
tesla sTinker
2018-04-30 01:21:08 UTC
Post by Mathedman
| How can air get into your pipes??? If air can get in, water can get
| out at the same place !
Did you ever shut off the water to work on plumbing?
It typically spits when you turn it back on because air
has got up into the pipe and has to be cleared. The
difference here, though, is that the OP has some kind
of super-dense air that can't be pushed out by water
pressure.
That's a whole different thing. That means that the water has been shut
off for some kind of work (which opens the line) and then closed!
your an idiot. go back to science class. All pumps pump air not just
water. Besides, hydrogen has a tendency to disrupt when temperature
changes it changing the atoms sizes. And since people heat water, yes,
you get water to boil. HOW does air get in? duh. That is so stupid.
Temperature changes permits air in the pipes. Same as water to form on
the outsides of it from condensation at times. AS if you would say, how
did that water get out there on the outside of the pipe? duh.

Water has oxygen atoms you dummy, It has this ingredient. it is part
oxygen, and two parts hydrogen. And when you want to run your car on
it, give us a call, cause we make hydrogen from water yes. And when it
is burned up, it turns back into water yes. And if you want the
answer to that one, go ask My Good God. He is the one that made it.
But if you ask a miss, you will get no answer. And i have a funny
feeling, you can forget about being answered by Him. He is just to
pissed off at dummy's like you.

Paul
2018-04-26 18:01:51 UTC
Post by Mathedman
Post by Babu
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?
The pipes in my bathroom seems to fail every 4 to 6 weeks because of
air-lock in the pipes and so I don't get any water in shower or taps.
Is here a permanent solution for this?
I am tired of calling plumbers all the time. Some times I use my vacuum
cleaner to suck out air from the pipes and it works and sometimes it
doesn't so I need to call a plumber.
Thank you.
How can air get into your pipes??? If air can get in, water can get
out at the same place !
The water doesn't leak out into your house so the air is getting in
somewhere out side --probably where the city guys are working
on mains.
I wish so many people didn't cut their chem lab in the afternoon.

Don't you remember the aspirator they used to run wash
fluid through a filter paper (recrystallization products) ?
That's an example of a T-shaped device, with 60PSI coursing through
the main path, and a *vacuum* appearing on the aspirator port. And
the aspirator port can suck both liquids or air, into the orifice
and into the stream. Not at a super high rate, but, fast enough.

http://what-when-how.com/organic-chemistry-laboratory-survival-manual/recrystallization-part-2-laboratory-manual/

Normally they're not made out of glass. The ones we had were
metal, so they could be securely fastened to a water faucet
and not turn into a crowd control device. In the lab, nobody cares
about the water bill, and you run those wide open (and the exhaust
tube has to be shoved down the sink). University chem labs are
like Niagara Falls, in terms of water usage. There's lots of
water everywhere, to make sure the "bad stuff" goes down the sink.
I was always impressed with the generous usage of city water.

Without looking it up, I would expect an aspirator to be able to
suck down to the partial pressure of water vapor (which is
reasonably low at room temperature, not so much at the
boiling point of water). An aspirator is the first vacuum device
of choice, when you're too cheap to run down the hall and get
a belt-driven vacuum pump. You put a cold trap in front of a real
vacuum pump, to keep too much noxious stuff collecting in the pump oil.
On a water aspirator, you don't care. Every lab I've worked in,
had a Welch brand one. HVAC guys, when recovering R12, use
a different style of pump to pull the R12 into Zeolite.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Welch-1402-Duoseal-Belt-Driven-Rotary-Vane-Vacuum-Pump-/382213467407#ht_1468wt_804

The same thing can happen with a pinhole in a plumbing pipe. It
can suck stuff into the pipe from the outside... if the velocity
through the main line is high enough.

"I hope this won't be on the final exam"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli%27s_principle

*******

Air or a variety of gases can be absorbed in water. Take
for example, when you pull the tab on a can of Sprite. The
CO2 comes out of solution, and you get bubbles. The bubbles
can collect and form a very small gas pocket in a fluid pipe.
Depending on the source of the water, this can be endemic
(never stops, a constant pest). If you had that problem with
your cottage water, every time you get up in the morning there
might be some sound effects when you open the tap. Thus you
don't "crack open" a tap suddenly, if you don't know anything
about its history. Your first test on a tap in a strange house,
should be a "slow" test to see what secrets it's hiding :-)

Paul
Good Guy
2018-04-26 20:07:20 UTC
Post by Babu
Is there a plumber here who can solve the problem of air-lock in pipes?
The pipes in my bathroom seems to fail every 4 to 6 weeks because of
air-lock in the pipes and so I don't get any water in shower or taps.
Is here a permanent solution for this?
Sure there is always a permanent solution for this. the best way is to
change the entire piping system in your house and this time make sure
you are hiring a competent tradesman who is registered with some
body!!. These days we get many rogue traders like that idiot called T
for Todd & Margot. That guy should be prosecuted for defrauding customers.

The other simple solution that I used to use is to allow the water to
run through the taps for2 to 3 minutes. You said "shower or taps". I
suspect it is the shower because the air gets locked in the shower rail
and by allowing the water to run through the taps, clears the air
bubbles. You must have a switch in the shower to choose whether you
want water through the shower head or taps to fill the bath. I have so
I am telling you what my experience is. I am a self taught guy who
likes to do all the maintenance in the house myself unless the job is
too big for me!!.

I recently renovated my house from scratch so now I don't have this
problem but you know it is painful if you have an early morning meeting
no water in the shower. I hate going out without a proper shower.
Post by Babu
I am tired of calling plumbers all the time. Some times I use my vacuum
cleaner to suck out air from the pipes and it works and sometimes it
doesn't so I need to call a plumber.
Vacuum cleaner trick is quite old but it is effective. I have used VAX
cylinder cleaner for this and it was quite effective but my simple
simple trick solved it better.
Post by Babu
Thank you.
You are welcome. Have you started using Windows 10 yet? You better
because you get better support for it. Windows 7 is dead. It is on
life support until January 14th 2020.

Good luck.
tesla sTinker
2018-04-30 01:07:09 UTC
This is not difficult to repair. You need a vent pipe. Where do you
suck out with vacuum? That sounds bogus. There is what they call a
one WAY pressure VALVE. you would need one of those on the vent pipe.
Preventing water from going the wrong way yet venting. When it
pressures against itself, the valve opens. Just go down to home depot
and ask them about a pressure valve one way for the size diameter pipe
you have.. Tell em you need to get rid of air lock. And, the only time
you need a plumber, is when there are no plumbing parts. And you always
can find those. One way pressure valve. Shit, lots of systems have
these on them.