XP Activation Needed !
Add Reply
SteveGG
2017-06-06 15:19:02 UTC
Have a virtual machine running Windows XP, for running older software,
but need some way to activate it, to avoid reinstallation every 30
days. Working product key would be great. Any help greatly appreciated
and thanks. ***@optonline.net
Shadow
2017-06-06 17:44:33 UTC
On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 11:19:02 -0400, SteveGG
Post by SteveGG
Have a virtual machine running Windows XP, for running older software,
but need some way to activate it, to avoid reinstallation every 30
days.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xpy/

Read the docs.
Post by SteveGG
Working product key would be great.
And illegal.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
SteveGG
2017-06-06 20:28:26 UTC
Thanks for the response. Will give it a try.

Actually, it would probably be considered legal, since I'm using an
old installation CD from a computer back that had XP. I just don't
have the key any more.
Ammammata
2017-06-07 06:33:02 UTC
Il giorno Tue 06 Jun 2017 10:28:26p, *SteveGG* ha inviato su
Post by SteveGG
since I'm using an
old installation CD from a computer back that had XP
if that copy is OEM it can't (legally) be installed on a different machine

the cd possession doesn't allow you to install it on several computer, you
need the license: a stick or a certificate
--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
Post by SteveGG
http://www.bb2002.it :) <<<<<
........... [ al lavoro ] ...........
SteveGG
2017-06-07 12:00:11 UTC
Actuall I have 2 old CDs; one OEM and the other purchased later.

What's "stick" ?
Ammammata
2017-06-07 12:30:54 UTC
Il giorno Wed 07 Jun 2017 02:00:11p, *SteveGG* ha inviato su
Post by SteveGG
What's "stick" ?
the one that usually is attached to the case

<https://www.google.ch/search?q=stick+serial+xp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&v
ed=0ahUKEwizzOav3qvUAhWDIsAKHQPbD3kQ_AUICigB&biw=1370&bih=857#tbm=isch&q=se
rial+xp+label>
--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
Post by SteveGG
http://www.bb2002.it :) <<<<<
........... [ al lavoro ] ...........
Auric__
2017-06-07 17:07:35 UTC
Post by SteveGG
What's "stick" ?
the one that usually is attached to the case
That should be "sticker". "Stick", the way you used it, means something else
entirely.
--
That's not wisdom, that's a cliché. An obvious truth.
Any fool will admit that, even if he doesn't live by it.
SteveGG
2017-06-07 18:07:59 UTC
Isn't your stick kind of your modus opperandi ?
Auric__
2017-06-08 07:04:31 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Isn't your stick kind of your modus opperandi ?
Not that I've ever heard, no. You might be thinking of "shtick".
Beware of Doug
SteveGG
2017-06-08 11:35:51 UTC
Yeah, that's it ...
Ammammata
2017-06-12 07:29:44 UTC
Il giorno Wed 07 Jun 2017 07:07:35p, *Auric__* ha inviato su
Post by Auric__
That should be "sticker". "Stick", the way you used it, means
something else entirely.
sorry, my english sometimes sucks ;)
--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
Post by Auric__
http://www.bb2002.it :) <<<<<
........... [ al lavoro ] ...........
mike
2017-06-07 19:45:22 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Actuall I have 2 old CDs; one OEM and the other purchased later.
What's "stick" ?
The retail version probably would work, but you still need the key.
Somebody in the XP group can tell you, but I think that the key
must match the OS version, OEM/RETAIL/other categories too.
I have no idea what identity the VM reports to windows, but apparently
you have it working for 30 days.

OEM versions are a crap shoot depending on how close your new
machine is to the OEM version of the CD.
Don't remember whether OEM keys must also match the correct OEM vendor
or what other issues the VM throws into the mix.

I don't think it's as simple as acquiring a random XP key.

You have two choices.
1) Buy a real legal retail key and use that...if you can find one.
2) Something else.

If you choose "something else", you might as well move to win7.
It's a lot easier to manage in the "something else" category.

Are you sure you really need XP? Have you exhausted all your
options for compatibility mode?
Are you running 64-bit win7? If I understand the limitations correctly,
you can't run 16-bit programs, but maybe running 32-bit win7 in a VM
would???
I stuck with 32-bits on my machines because of all the incompatibilities
I experienced trying to run 64 bit win7.

I've never tried it because I like VirtualBox, but XP mode for win7
claims to work like real XP in win7.
There's also this
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12309/install-xp-mode-with-virtualbox-using-the-vmlite-plugin/
Dave Doe
2017-06-07 23:17:04 UTC
Post by SteveGG
since I'm using an
old installation CD from a computer back that had XP
if that copy is OEM it can't (legally) be installed on a different machine
the cd possession doesn't allow you to install it on several computer, you
need the license: a stick or a certificate
Well... let's just pretend the sticker's on the right PC :)
Duncan.
Steve Hayes
2017-06-08 07:07:02 UTC
Post by SteveGG
since I'm using an
old installation CD from a computer back that had XP
if that copy is OEM it can't (legally) be installed on a different machine
the cd possession doesn't allow you to install it on several computer, you
need the license: a stick or a certificate
Since Microsoft have abandoned it, why should it matter?
--
Steve Hayes
http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Andy
2017-06-08 07:14:12 UTC
Because if you cant complete the activation via phone. the internet or a
legal license key it wont allow you to log in to windows xp.
It happened on one of our work station computers at work we had to use the
company's multi license from Microsoft to get it working again.
--
AL'S COMPUTERS
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-06-12 10:52:11 UTC
Post by Ammammata
if that copy is OEM it can't (legally) be installed on a different machine
the cd possession doesn't allow you to install it on several computer, you
need the license: a stick or a certificate
Phone Micro$oft and ask for a transfer. You would need to supply
documents to prove the purchase (mainly the invoice and the Certificate
Of Authenticity)
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
2017-06-07 07:03:45 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Thanks for the response. Will give it a try.
Actually, it would probably be considered legal, since I'm using an
old installation CD from a computer back that had XP. I just don't
have the key any more.
Do you still have that computer with WinXP on it ?

Could you use Belarc Advisor, or MagicalJellyBean, to extract
the installation key from the old computer ?

Paul
SteveGG
2017-06-07 11:56:11 UTC
Ah, there's the rub. Old computer discarded about a month ago.
Dave Doe
2017-06-07 23:19:05 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Ah, there's the rub. Old computer discarded about a month ago.
I think it's been suggested already??? - but why don't you use XP Mode,
to give you your virtual Windows XP (Windows 7 Pro (or better) required
- ie. won't work (NA) on Home version).
Duncan.
Paul
2017-06-08 00:14:10 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Ah, there's the rub. Old computer discarded about a month ago.
When you discard an old computer, do you remove the disk drive ?

Or did you actually "toss" a whole computer, verbatim, into the trash,
hard drive and all ?

If you have the C: hard drive, it might still be possible to
extract the key.

If I was tossing a computer, I wouldn't leave the drive in it.
Nobody at the recycler, is going to like finding a "40GB Maxtor"
in the box, so I might as well hold onto the drive anyway.

Paul
pjp
2017-06-08 03:50:24 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Ah, there's the rub. Old computer discarded about a month ago.
When you discard an old computer, do you remove the disk drive ?
Or did you actually "toss" a whole computer, verbatim, into the trash,
hard drive and all ?
If you have the C: hard drive, it might still be possible to
extract the key.
If I was tossing a computer, I wouldn't leave the drive in it.
Nobody at the recycler, is going to like finding a "40GB Maxtor"
in the box, so I might as well hold onto the drive anyway.
Paul
Every time I take stuff to the recycler here I always look see what
others have tossed away.

I've dragged home least 1/2 dozen working desktop pcs with hd's as large
as 250Gb and a couple of "for parts use" laptops. Last time there I
brought home an HP Mini Netbook. Once figured out it needed 19V power
supply, I had cabling I could cobble one together and it booted right
up. Original owners Login (no password) there with all her docs etc. ...
e.g. EVERYTHING!!!

Did the factory restore and then let it update to Win10 with no issues.
Got tired of 10's bs and put Win7 back on it (from disk). Didn't even
need additional drivers or anything, nice.

I basically use it as a radio, video player, webcam server and IP webcam
viewer.

I have desktops originally same thing, e.g. original owners stuff all
there once go booted etc. I've also picked up 21" LCD monitors that work
etc.

Now if someone would just toss away a remote control for my 32" analog
TV :) I've seen the tv tossed out but no remote :(
Ammammata
2017-06-12 07:32:29 UTC
Il giorno Thu 08 Jun 2017 05:50:24a, *pjp* ha inviato su
there with all *her* docs etc
fixed typo ;)
"her" must be in bold face
--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
........... [ al lavoro ] ...........
Shadow
2017-06-07 12:06:13 UTC
On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 16:28:26 -0400, SteveGG
Post by SteveGG
Thanks for the response. Will give it a try.
Actually, it would probably be considered legal, since I'm using an
old installation CD from a computer back that had XP. I just don't
have the key any more.
Xpy has the option to "claim Windows as registered" (as if you
had done it online) by altering a registry key. Very useful for
offline machines. But I think you need the key to install.
I'm trying to figure out how you managed to get it to run for
a month without installing ...
Hum ... nope, nothing.
[]'s
SteveGG
2017-06-07 17:59:12 UTC
I think the deal was ( is ) 30 days free to try.
Bill Bradshaw
2017-06-11 17:40:36 UTC
Have you tried contacting Microsoft? I have one WinXP Pro computer that I
run off and on because I need a parallel port. I had an activation problem
about 2 months ago and called Microsoft and they verified my copy was
legitimate and gave me a code to enter which will work anytime I would ever
need to activate again.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska
have the key any more.
Diesel
2017-06-15 19:13:10 UTC
Post by Bill Bradshaw
Have you tried contacting Microsoft? I have one WinXP Pro
computer that I run off and on because I need a parallel port. I
had an activation problem about 2 months ago and called Microsoft
and they verified my copy was legitimate and gave me a code to
enter which will work anytime I would ever need to activate again.
Umm, actually, no, it won't. If you change the mainboard or any
critical components the key they gave you is fuxored. Windows XP uses a
challenge/response key system for over the phone product
activation...Those numbers you read off to them were the challenge,
and, they gave you the corresponding response key Windows was asking
you for.

It's *ONLY* good if the challenge key remains the same. Like I said
though, it won't if you change certain hardware and/or do another
reinstall on different hardware.
'Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.' -LL
Ralph Fox
2017-06-06 18:55:53 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Have a virtual machine running Windows XP, for running older software,
but need some way to activate it, to avoid reinstallation every 30
days. Working product key would be great. Any help greatly appreciated
and thanks.
When I was using Windows XP Mode [^1], I never had to re-install it
every 30 days. Has this changed, or are you not using Windows XP Mode?

[^1] https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx%3Fid=8002
--
Kind regards
Ralph
🦊
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-06-06 19:04:46 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Have a virtual machine running Windows XP, for running older software,
but need some way to activate it, to avoid reinstallation every 30
days. Working product key would be great. Any help greatly appreciated
and thanks.
When I was using Windows XP Mode [^1], I never had to re-install it
every 30 days. Has this changed, or are you not using Windows XP Mode?
[^1] https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx%3Fid=8002
According to that page, it's only supported in W7 professional,
ultimate, or enterprise.

Everyone looks sun-kissed and beautiful and as you watch it ["Bondi Rescue"],
pale and flabby on your sofa, you find yourself wondering if your life could
ever be that exotic. (It couldn't. You're British.) - Russell Howard, in
Radio Times, 20-26 April 2013
SteveGG
2017-06-08 12:19:08 UTC
Software won't run in Windows XP Mode either ...

Runs fine in XP installed.

Would gladly pay if I could avoid the 30 day reinstallation ...
Jack Fate
2017-06-08 12:26:17 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Would gladly pay if I could avoid the 30 day reinstallation ...
Ever hear of torrents?

https://rarbg.to/torrents.php?search=windows+xp&category%5B%5D=33

If you already have it installed, use the key generator from the torrent
download.
mike
2017-06-08 15:15:08 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Software won't run in Windows XP Mode either ...
Perhaps a discussion of exactly what won't run and why
might elicit a workaround.
Posting in the XP group might also be beneficial.
Post by SteveGG
Runs fine in XP installed.
Would gladly pay if I could avoid the 30 day reinstallation ...
http://www.wikihow.com/Activate-Windows-XP-Without-a-Genuine-Product-Key

claims to reset the 30 day clock.

Another possibly relevant link

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-xp-without-key
Ralph Fox
2017-06-08 16:02:08 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Software won't run in Windows XP Mode either ...
Runs fine in XP installed.
This sounds odd. XP mode _is_ XP installed - it is XP installed in
a bundled VM. XP mode has its own activated XP OEM key which lets it
run in the bundled VM.
🦊
Dave Doe
2017-06-08 22:43:04 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Software won't run in Windows XP Mode either ...
Runs fine in XP installed.
Would gladly pay if I could avoid the 30 day reinstallation ...
As Ralph says, XP Mode *is* a *full* version of XP, in Windows 7 Virtual
PC - come pre-configured. You need Win 7 Pro or better to run XP Mode.

So this is *not* XP *compatibility* mode.

Download is here...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002
Duncan.
SteveGG
2017-06-08 22:50:45 UTC
Not running 7 Pro, only 7 Home, so probably can't run XP mode. I
thought I'd tried something like it a while back and didn't work, but
I'm probably mistaken. Thanks anyway ...
Dave Doe
2017-06-08 23:03:56 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Not running 7 Pro, only 7 Home, so probably can't run XP mode. I
thought I'd tried something like it a while back and didn't work, but
I'm probably mistaken. Thanks anyway ...
Ah. Bugger! :)
Duncan.
Dave Doe
2017-06-08 23:15:03 UTC
Hey drop me an e-mail at: steveGG-***@adrock.com
Duncan.
mike
2017-06-08 23:56:44 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Not running 7 Pro, only 7 Home, so probably can't run XP mode. I
thought I'd tried something like it a while back and didn't work, but
I'm probably mistaken. Thanks anyway ...
Again, if you'd post what isn't running, maybe someone could try it
in xp mode for you.
For the long term, upgrading to 7pro might pay more dividends than fixing
your current xp activation problem.

It is very common for people to get fixated on solving one problem
when a fresh look at the OBJECTIVE might open up alternative solutions
that are
easier.

There's one more wrinkle. I've had an upgrade to virtualbox
deactivate XP. Same thing has happened when I changed the
amount of RAM allocated to an XP virtual system. I had the key,
so it wasn't a big problem. I've been told that that doesn't happen,
but my XP requesting activation was unmoved by that argument.

If you're dead set on activating your current XP, you'd be far more
likely to find a way to do it in a newsgroup with XP or "crack" in the
name.
Shadow
2017-06-09 03:02:50 UTC
Post by mike
For the long term, upgrading to 7pro might pay more dividends than fixing
your current xp activation problem.
OR, he could install Linux and run XP in VirtualBox. Not only
faster and cheaper(the cost of the download), but probably safer too.
[]'s
Paul
2017-06-09 03:15:19 UTC
Post by mike
Post by SteveGG
[...]
WinXP Mode uses Windows Virtual PC and Terminal Services (for screen
rendering). That's different than VPC2007, which just rendered to a
virtual frame buffer.

VirtualBox renders to a virtual frame buffer, and has as an added
bonus, true USB passthru. VirtualBox does intercept at USB packet
level. WinXP Mode, when passthru is supported, is at device
level, and typically works for storage devices (maybe a USB stick).
Whereas VirtualBox, you could run a WinXP era USB scanner or USB
webcam, as the device type doesn't matter. You identify the VID/PID
of the device you want to intercept, and it moves over to the Guest.

And that to me is a benefit of running actual WinXP in VirtualBox.
Instead of the pretend version of WinXP in Windows Virtual PC (on
Win7 Pro or better).

And Steves license key could still be kicking around. But the
key isn't going to be useful, if it's a Dell OEM generic key. The
key has value, if it was a retail copy of WinXP that got installed.
Even a backup image of the C: on the discarded PC, could be
used for forensic recovery. But how that OS was installed, gives
you some idea how useful the key will be. Since Steve seems to have
no related materials from the discarded PC, it sounds like he dumped a Dell
box, and that's that. Even the COA on the outside of that, isn't likely
to work on some random Guest VM. The WinXP activation server is now
"relaxed", it's also not "dead" either. It's not going to accept
any random 25 character key.

Paul
mike
2017-06-09 04:54:00 UTC
Post by mike
Post by SteveGG
[...]
I'd agree. I elected to stay with virtualbox.
I did publish a link to a tutorial on using XP mode via virtualbox.
Don't know if that gives you the best of both worlds or the sum of
the limitations of each. It seems to require an activated version
of XPmode to start.

Best for the OP is difficult to determine because we haven't a clue
what he's attempting to do. If it's one program and a workaround for
seven can be found, that might be best.

Another thing I've done is made my machine running a CAD app
available on the internet and let someone else run it via VNC.
I do most of my linux tinkering via VNC to another host in the
back room.

The cleanest thing is to go down to the thrift store and buy
another derelict XP machine and use that. Stick it on the network
and VNC into it. They're cheaper
than dirt. I gave away several a few weeks ago.

Optimum strategy is buried deep in the details.
Post by Paul
And Steves license key could still be kicking around. But the
key isn't going to be useful, if it's a Dell OEM generic key. The
key has value, if it was a retail copy of WinXP that got installed.
Even a backup image of the C: on the discarded PC, could be
used for forensic recovery. But how that OS was installed, gives
you some idea how useful the key will be. Since Steve seems to have
no related materials from the discarded PC, it sounds like he dumped a Dell
box, and that's that. Even the COA on the outside of that, isn't likely
to work on some random Guest VM. The WinXP activation server is now
"relaxed", it's also not "dead" either. It's not going to accept
any random 25 character key.
Do we know what identity virtualbox presents to XP?
Is it the identity of the virtualbox version or the underlying PC?

Most of my XP keys are from stickers on old dell machines.
I can't see any pattern in how MS decides whether to activate.
I've had dell hard drives swapped into asus motherboards and ran just fine.
I've had virtualbox .vdi run in virtualbox on disparate hardware.
I've had XP deactivate on updating virtualbox. I've had XP
deactivate on changing the memory allocation to that VM.

I built an XP virtual machine to host my taxes. I tested it on
several different hardwares with virtualbox. Worked fine.
The whole system worked fine until, one day, it deactivated itself.
I've moved back to plug-in hard drives.
2017-06-09 05:30:36 UTC
Post by mike
Do we know what identity virtualbox presents to XP?
Is it the identity of the virtualbox version or the underlying PC?
Most of my XP keys are from stickers on old dell machines.
I can't see any pattern in how MS decides whether to activate.
I've had dell hard drives swapped into asus motherboards and ran just fine.
I've had virtualbox .vdi run in virtualbox on disparate hardware.
I've had XP deactivate on updating virtualbox. I've had XP
deactivate on changing the memory allocation to that VM.
I built an XP virtual machine to host my taxes. I tested it on
several different hardwares with virtualbox. Worked fine.
The whole system worked fine until, one day, it deactivated itself.
I've moved back to plug-in hard drives.
Paul
Some of the emulated hardware, has names which identify that you're
looking at VirtualBox.

Typically, installed OSes don't go looking for those strings.

There can be exceptions though. Linux could detect it was virtualized,
and could use a "platform" driver. For a while, it was trying to use
Hyper-V storage drivers, when the host was actually VPC2007. It only
took them a year and a half to figure that out, and flush all the
kernels with the erroneous logic.

I keep seeing claims that each guest installation has *some*
sort of unique identifier. For example, it would be a slam-dunk,
to assign a unique MAC address to the virtual NIC. But yet I
keep seeing references to the virtual disk having an identifier.
I've yet to see someone provide proof just what is used
for identification, but whatever it is, it appears to be enough
to do the job. I don't see anyone claiming they're running
a hundred VMs off the same license key, for example.

Paul
mike
2017-06-09 08:07:34 UTC
Post by mike
[...]
I wanted to run one VM off one license key, and be able to run it
in different hardwares, but only one at a time.
Basically, I wanted portable XP licensed to VirtualBox.

Back in the day, I had multiple, nearly identical Dell computers,
each properly licensed.

I could swap the drives around and it all just kept working.
Came in handy more than a few times.
Dave Doe
2017-06-08 22:56:15 UTC
Post by Dave Doe
Post by SteveGG
Software won't run in Windows XP Mode either ...
Runs fine in XP installed.
Would gladly pay if I could avoid the 30 day reinstallation ...
As Ralph says, XP Mode *is* a *full* version of XP, in Windows 7 Virtual
PC - come pre-configured. You need Win 7 Pro or better to run XP Mode.
So this is *not* XP *compatibility* mode.
Download is here...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002
This is what she looks like on my Win7 Pro PC...
Screenshot on OneDrive...
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjwgsYmRt63ph_FCipUSa-3u1utNrA
Duncan.
Sjouke Burry
2017-06-08 23:08:30 UTC
Post by Dave Doe
Post by SteveGG
Software won't run in Windows XP Mode either ...
Runs fine in XP installed.
Would gladly pay if I could avoid the 30 day reinstallation ...
As Ralph says, XP Mode *is* a *full* version of XP, in Windows 7 Virtual
PC - come pre-configured. You need Win 7 Pro or better to run XP Mode.
So this is *not* XP *compatibility* mode.
Download is here...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002
Download running now. Two files, but the page is not clear
why there are 2.
Dave Doe
2017-06-08 23:10:32 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
Post by Dave Doe
Post by SteveGG
Software won't run in Windows XP Mode either ...
Runs fine in XP installed.
Would gladly pay if I could avoid the 30 day reinstallation ...
As Ralph says, XP Mode *is* a *full* version of XP, in Windows 7 Virtual
PC - come pre-configured. You need Win 7 Pro or better to run XP Mode.
So this is *not* XP *compatibility* mode.
Download is here...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002
Download running now. Two files, but the page is not clear
why there are 2.
Basically, one is the XP Mode environment (about a 500MB virtual hard
disk (VHD), IIRC), the other will be the Virtual PC installer.
Duncan.
Dave Doe
2017-06-08 23:22:49 UTC
Post by Dave Doe
Post by Sjouke Burry
Post by Dave Doe
Post by SteveGG
Software won't run in Windows XP Mode either ...
Runs fine in XP installed.
Would gladly pay if I could avoid the 30 day reinstallation ...
As Ralph says, XP Mode *is* a *full* version of XP, in Windows 7 Virtual
PC - come pre-configured. You need Win 7 Pro or better to run XP Mode.
So this is *not* XP *compatibility* mode.
Download is here...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002
Download running now. Two files, but the page is not clear
why there are 2.
Basically, one is the XP Mode environment (about a 500MB virtual hard
disk (VHD), IIRC), the other will be the Virtual PC installer.
Ah, I see...
WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe

WindowsXPMode_N_en-us.exe

The 'N' version is the old UK version??? - can't really remember now,
that MS had to put out way back then, without erm, um, something they
agreed not to include in XP (Windows Media Player?? - something like
that). It was an EU / MS disagreement thing.

Don't use the N version. :)
Duncan.
Sjouke Burry
2017-06-09 00:02:03 UTC
Post by Dave Doe
Post by Sjouke Burry
Post by Dave Doe
Post by SteveGG
Software won't run in Windows XP Mode either ...
Runs fine in XP installed.
Would gladly pay if I could avoid the 30 day reinstallation ...
As Ralph says, XP Mode *is* a *full* version of XP, in Windows 7 Virtual
PC - come pre-configured. You need Win 7 Pro or better to run XP Mode.
So this is *not* XP *compatibility* mode.
Download is here...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002
Download running now. Two files, but the page is not clear
why there are 2.
Basically, one is the XP Mode environment (about a 500MB virtual hard
disk (VHD), IIRC), the other will be the Virtual PC installer.
Checked google.
The files were with and without mediaplayer.
Google also told me I needed Windows6.1-KB958559-x86.msu to get
the virtual environment.(for 32 bit w7pro).
I still have to buy a new computer, but now I am prepared for that.
Btw, Thanks.
Justin Tyme
2017-06-09 06:44:22 UTC
On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 08:19:08 -0400, SteveGG
Post by SteveGG
Software won't run in Windows XP Mode either ...
Runs fine in XP installed.
Would gladly pay if I could avoid the 30 day reinstallation ...
Steve, what version of XP. ie sp3 sp2? I might have something kicking
around.
JT
Justin Tyme
2017-06-09 07:50:41 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Software won't run in Windows XP Mode either ...
Runs fine in XP installed.
Would gladly pay if I could avoid the 30 day reinstallation ...
Steve, what version of XP. ie sp3 sp2? I might have something kicking
around.
Try these if you have 32bit Windows xp

J6T2H-YBT26-FWXGY-2HVXJ-TTBDY <--I have this working for xp3
P3FJP-PXWF7-XX9PK-CWJHQ-39X8T
QKBGY-T8JFG-F448Q-24KR9-48XPJ
H689T-BFM2F-R6GF8-9WPYM-B6378
CM3HY-26VYW-6JRYC-X66GX-JVY2D
FMJH3-88BJ7-6TKR3-8CXJY-YJY6B

If none of these work I have it in my MEGA account and can give you a
link.

Windows XP SP3 (32bit) and definetly works as I have it running in
VMWare now.
JT
Justin Tyme
2017-06-09 08:04:25 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Software won't run in Windows XP Mode either ...
Runs fine in XP installed.
Would gladly pay if I could avoid the 30 day reinstallation ...
Steve, what version of XP. ie sp3 sp2? I might have something kicking
around.
Try these if you have 32bit Windows xp
J6T2H-YBT26-FWXGY-2HVXJ-TTBDY <--I have this working for xp3
P3FJP-PXWF7-XX9PK-CWJHQ-39X8T
QKBGY-T8JFG-F448Q-24KR9-48XPJ
H689T-BFM2F-R6GF8-9WPYM-B6378
CM3HY-26VYW-6JRYC-X66GX-JVY2D
FMJH3-88BJ7-6TKR3-8CXJY-YJY6B
If none of these work I have it in my MEGA account and can give you a
link.
Windows XP SP3 (32bit) and definetly works as I have it running in
VMWare now.
AAARGH! Should be 'definitely' not definetly.
JT
Paul
2017-06-09 08:52:55 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Software won't run in Windows XP Mode either ...
Runs fine in XP installed.
Would gladly pay if I could avoid the 30 day reinstallation ...
Steve, what version of XP. ie sp3 sp2? I might have something kicking
around.
Try these if you have 32bit Windows xp
J6T2H-YBT26-FWXGY-2HVXJ-TTBDY <--I have this working for xp3
P3FJP-PXWF7-XX9PK-CWJHQ-39X8T
QKBGY-T8JFG-F448Q-24KR9-48XPJ
H689T-BFM2F-R6GF8-9WPYM-B6378
CM3HY-26VYW-6JRYC-X66GX-JVY2D
FMJH3-88BJ7-6TKR3-8CXJY-YJY6B
If none of these work I have it in my MEGA account and can give you a
link.
Windows XP SP3 (32bit) and definetly works as I have it running in
VMWare now.
I would configure Windows Update and switch it off, before
entering one of those keys. I don't have a list of
Windows Genuine Advantage patches handy, to avoid
via Windows Update. I think even the Windows Update ActiveX
that installs itself, can do stuff related to that.

As long as the game executables fed into this VM are known
good, there shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't "web surf"
from that unpatched VM.

Paul
SteveGG
2017-06-09 12:35:19 UTC
Post by Justin Tyme
Steve, what version of XP. ie sp3 sp2? I might have something kicking
around.
SP3

I tried the keys you posted above and NG.

7 Pro looks like the way to go since it apparently has the XP Mode,
but not sure how to go about upgrading my 7 Home ...
Justin Tyme
2017-06-09 17:59:15 UTC
On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 08:35:19 -0400, SteveGG
Post by SteveGG
Post by Justin Tyme
Steve, what version of XP. ie sp3 sp2? I might have something kicking
around.
SP3
I tried the keys you posted above and NG.
7 Pro looks like the way to go since it apparently has the XP Mode,
but not sure how to go about upgrading my 7 Home ...
Those keys are for the the Pro version of XP. You might have an OEM
version and in that case those numbers don't work. That is why I asked
what version you have. Most of the numbers that are available are for
Pro. I have a copy of Windows XP Pro SP3 with a working serial number
in my MEGA account. You can leave Windows Update on.

Let me know if you want that link. The download is 622MB
JT
Justin Tyme
2017-06-09 18:18:37 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Post by Justin Tyme
Steve, what version of XP. ie sp3 sp2? I might have something kicking
around.
SP3
I tried the keys you posted above and NG.
7 Pro looks like the way to go since it apparently has the XP Mode,
but not sure how to go about upgrading my 7 Home ...
Those keys are for the the Pro version of XP. You might have an OEM
version and in that case those numbers don't work. That is why I asked
what version you have. Most of the numbers that are available are for
Pro. I have a copy of Windows XP Pro SP3 with a working serial number
in my MEGA account. You can leave Windows Update on.
Let me know if you want that link. The download is 622MB
Another question, are you using Virtual Box or VMware Player?
JT
SteveGG
2017-06-09 22:53:57 UTC
Using Virtual Box and I don't think my XP is Pro.
Justin Tyme
2017-06-09 20:35:54 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Post by Justin Tyme
Steve, what version of XP. ie sp3 sp2? I might have something kicking
around.
SP3
I tried the keys you posted above and NG.
7 Pro looks like the way to go since it apparently has the XP Mode,
but not sure how to go about upgrading my 7 Home ...
Those keys are for the the Pro version of XP. You might have an OEM
version and in that case those numbers don't work. That is why I asked
what version you have. Most of the numbers that are available are for
Pro. I have a copy of Windows XP Pro SP3 with a working serial number
in my MEGA account. You can leave Windows Update on.
Let me know if you want that link. The download is 622MB
Steve, I am going out for the day so I will post the link to the
Windows XP Pro SP3 iso and serial number. I scanned it with Avast
Premiere and it is fine. I only bothered to scan it because it is old
and has been sitting in my Archives for ages. I did the (130) windows
updates to test and it is working fine. Here is a pic showing
activation:

Here is the link to the folder with the iso and serial number:

https://mega.nz/#F!0jJERShY!0ov_RWxm3378BYGgyyRrFQ

If you right click the files you will get download options instead of
having to download it as a zip file. Use it or not, up to you. I
doubt MS even considers XP a pirated item anymore since it so ancient
This will solve your problem.
JT
Paul
2017-06-09 19:38:14 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Post by Justin Tyme
Steve, what version of XP. ie sp3 sp2? I might have something kicking
around.
SP3
I tried the keys you posted above and NG.
7 Pro looks like the way to go since it apparently has the XP Mode,
but not sure how to go about upgrading my 7 Home ...
Stick with VirtualBox.

You can't get AnyTime Upgrades for Windows 7 any more. They
were taken off the market, well before they stopped making
regular install kits.

You should look for a WinXP key. If that's what you really want.

Check around your local computer stores. I have a
couple "recyclers", and one just handles "surplus"
computing (brand new stuff, not popular, quite old).
That's where I'd start if I was looking for a WinXP
key locally. That's the only place I could
count on, to give me a good price.

Paul
Justin Tyme
2017-06-09 19:54:48 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Post by Justin Tyme
[...]
Why do you prefer Virtualbox over VMware Player? I use VMware
Workstation and I much prefer it over Virtualbox. Just interested why
you choose one over the other.
JT
Paul
2017-06-10 00:18:23 UTC
Post by Justin Tyme
Post by Paul
Post by SteveGG
Post by Justin Tyme
[...]
It gets the job done.

The few times I've used VMware products (like, when I tried to run
WinXP Mode on Win7 Pro, using the VMware product known to support it),
it ended up modifying the VM it was given (it was sysprepping it
or something).

Whereas VirtualBox, it just takes what you give it, and doesn't
mess around. (Of course, you cannot run WinXP Mode in VirtualBox,
and I've not even tried to do that.) In VirtualBox, I can use Modern.ie
appliances or install my own virtual machines, and it's all pretty
straight forward.

VirtualBox still has some pretty rough edges. The "BIOS" is OK.
The EFI implementation is awful, and not nearly as smooth as the
UEFI on the actual hardware. The virtualbox notion of identifiers
for stuff ("can't do this, can't do that") is annoying, and it
may take you a while to find the interface to remove stuff
from the program memory.

For me, VMWare just "didn't seem suited to me". There was
no "first time ignition".

Paul
Justin Tyme
2017-06-10 04:13:55 UTC
Post by Justin Tyme
Post by Paul
Post by SteveGG
Post by Justin Tyme
[...]
Thanks Paul. I was just wondering if there was some extra features
that Virtualbox has that I might be missing. My few experiences with
VB was when I was using Linux and the whole thing was frustrating. So
I guess it just boils down to personal preference. They both do pretty
much the same thing it seems. I started with VMware so I guess that
is why I prefer it.
JT
Diesel
2017-06-15 19:13:11 UTC
Post by Justin Tyme
Post by Paul
Post by Justin Tyme
Post by Paul
Post by SteveGG
Post by Justin Tyme
[...]
I haven't used vmware since v5. Had a grand time using Virtual box on
one of my linux machines the other day though. What a fucking pita it
was to get Windows 7 access to the built in webcam. [g] A good
learning experience for me, though. Any day I can learn something new
about Windows/Linux, etc, is a good day. It was nice seeing Windows 7
running nicely on a linux powered laptop. [g]
'I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay...'
Brian Gregory
2017-06-12 20:53:57 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Have a virtual machine running Windows XP, for running older software,
but need some way to activate it, to avoid reinstallation every 30
days. Working product key would be great. Any help greatly appreciated
and thanks.
When I was using Windows XP Mode [^1], I never had to re-install it
every 30 days. Has this changed, or are you not using Windows XP Mode?
[^1] https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx%3Fid=8002
I tried Windows XP mode in Windows 7 ultimate. It was hopeless.
The Windows XP mode virtual machine only seems to have one logical CPU
so it really crawled.

Windows XP works much much much better in a VirtualBox VM where I can
give it 4 logical CPUs.
--
Brian Gregory (in the UK).
2017-06-12 22:18:30 UTC
Post by Brian Gregory
Post by Ralph Fox
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Have a virtual machine running Windows XP, for running older software,
but need some way to activate it, to avoid reinstallation every 30
days. Working product key would be great. Any help greatly appreciated
and thanks.
When I was using Windows XP Mode [^1], I never had to re-install it
every 30 days. Has this changed, or are you not using Windows XP Mode?
[^1] https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx%3Fid=8002
I tried Windows XP mode in Windows 7 ultimate. It was hopeless.
The Windows XP mode virtual machine only seems to have one logical CPU
so it really crawled.
Windows XP works much much much better in a VirtualBox VM where I can
give it 4 logical CPUs.
That's a limitation on both VPC2007 and Windows Virtual PC.

And it would happen for any other OS you installed under those
hosting softwares.

I think Hyper-V is better than that. But that's not going to
help in this case.

VirtualBox is amazing by comparison, because not only does
it support multicore operation, but it also supports running
a 64bit OS on a 32bit host OS setup (i.e. as long as the CPU
supports 64bit instructions of course). I think both VPC2007
and Windows Virtual PC are limited to 32-bit guests. So even
if you install Win7 x64, you can still only run 32-bit
OSes in Windows Virtual PC.

And it's true that the core limitation, does drag things down.
If you try and run a Linux with Compiz graphics (where the hardware
doesn't provide acceleration), you really need another virtual
core to help in that situation.

I've run Windows 7 under VPC2007, on this machine, and
don't find the response all that bad. The interface doesn't
use terminal services, and maybe that helps a bit. (The WinXP Mode
VM uses Terminal Services to render rootless windows on the
host.) I can't run any more modern OS, as I think both
Win8 and Win10 can't run under the older hosting softwares.
Win8 and Win10 would need VirtualBox or Hyper-V.

As far as I know, WinXP Mode under Windows Virtual PC can run two ways.

Traditional desktop (this is probably what you tried)

+--------------------+
| |
| +------+ +---+ |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | +---+ |
| +------+ |
+--------------------+

But you can also run single programs on WinXP Mode and
have them pop up "rootless", like this. The code is
executed inside the VM, but the window for the program
appears on the regular desktop.

+------+
| |
| |
| |
+------+

And I only tested my WinXP Mode setup in the rooted
mode. I didn't try launching individual programs.

HTH,
Paul
Mr. 2 Cents
2017-06-07 21:00:43 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Have a virtual machine running Windows XP, for running older software,
but need some way to activate it, to avoid reinstallation every 30
days. Working product key would be great. Any help greatly appreciated
Here is a list of XP corporate activation keys. You might need to try
a few, but some of them are definitely good.

http://opensourcerules.info/xpkey.htm
SteveGG
2017-06-08 20:11:09 UTC
I tried a few and none worked.

Can you cite some you know are good ?
pjp
2017-06-09 03:20:40 UTC
Post by SteveGG
I tried a few and none worked.
Can you cite some you know are good ?
In my experience almost any old key you can find off any old pc will
likely work. Grab one off something thrown in your local recycler's bin
for thatr matter. I've even used the same key for two different installs
and both of them activated and have stayed activated for some time now.
I believe it to be something like wait 3 months between uses. Therefore
you have some friend with or some old pc of your own then don't
hesistate to try that key. Any problem is likely "what version", e.g.
basic, home, pro etc.
SteveGG
2017-06-09 12:06:15 UTC
I've got no access to old PCs ...
tesla sTinker
2017-06-11 10:39:31 UTC
you cannot just up and use any key. \
The key is coded, with the actual installation disc.
So, you have to get the key that works with that coded disc,
in order for it to activate. And yes, they are specific.
Anotherwords, its like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Other people, will not have it.... That is most certain.
mike
2017-06-11 11:42:33 UTC
Post by tesla sTinker
you cannot just up and use any key. \
I'd agree with that.
The rest, not so much.
Shadow
2017-06-11 14:43:34 UTC
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 03:39:31 -0700, tesla sTinker
Post by tesla sTinker
you cannot just up and use any key. \
The key is coded, with the actual installation disc.
So, you have to get the key that works with that coded disc,
in order for it to activate. And yes, they are specific.
Anotherwords, its like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Other people, will not have it.... That is most certain.
I can install ANY copy of Brazilian XP Pro with my (legit)
key, but it does not work for US versions. So yes, the keys are
language specific, but not "coded" into the install disk.
After the virtual XP is running(VirtualBox under Linux), I use
Xpy to "claim windows as registered", and it never bothers me again. I
use this copy to debug possible malware, and "roll back" to a previous
snapshot when I'm done.
[]'s

PS Added XP group.
PeterC
2017-06-11 15:14:54 UTC
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 03:39:31 -0700, tesla sTinker wrote:

Might as well carry on top-posting:

About 12 years ago I had a copy of XP Pro and the devil's key(?) given to
me. Over the course of a year or two I 'enLite-nd it, slipstreamed in the
SPs and during of the course of these processes used the key (or another one
- ICR after this time.
Anyway, last time I installed it there was no request for a key. I could do
updates, but the forebear of W Defender wouldn't run - so that was an added
bonus!
Still have various CDs of it somewhere, but I've gone all modern and now use
W7!
Post by SteveGG
Have a virtual machine running Windows XP, for running older software,
but need some way to activate it, to avoid reinstallation every 30
days. Working product key would be great. Any help greatly appreciated
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway
tesla sTinker
2017-06-11 23:33:04 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Have a virtual machine running Windows XP, for running older software,
but need some way to activate it, to avoid reinstallation every 30
days. Working product key would be great. Any help greatly appreciated
are you some kind of nut. Computers are fucked up. Did you not know
that much? Of course sometimes, depending on many factors of
circumstance, of what softwares are installed in the machine, as to what
conflicts with what and when, is how it is going to act. I have done
same thing you mentioned of here. Ran xp without a key for a whole year,
And it is possible to get the key from microsoft yes it is anyway. If
you follow what they tell you. It is also possible to get the key off
of the disc itself. Ever here of keyfinder? Believe me, everthing man
has tried to lock doors to with a computer, another man has unlocked
them. Which is exactly why, the government should not be on the
internet. Unless you want to pay for all that, I dont, and believe me,
we are paying for that sin of it to those bastards that do not care.
And, the key is coded, if it does not get the quirk to bypass it that is
depending on many circumstances of. In some cases, depending on which
copy of XP you are using and when it was made of, will determine of how
it actually acts when you install it.... MS bastard Gates changes
things all the time, and he always has. Not to mention, being a jerk
full of theft that he is full of. Anything that exists that he no
longer supports of, anyone should be able to use it for free. That
includes xp. But do you think he would set it up so its easy to get the
key, FAT CHANCE. And that is why, that man will be in hell with the
rest of the riff raff rapists. They sold you a computer these
communist bastards, and told you, your not allowed to copy anything.
And if you think that is right, I have an empire state building I will
sell you.
Justin Tyme
2017-06-12 19:09:39 UTC
Post by SteveGG
[...]
Tesla seems like a complete nutbar. Another one for the bin.
JT
Char Jackson
2017-06-18 14:09:20 UTC
Post by tesla sTinker
you cannot just up and use any key. \
The key is coded, with the actual installation disc.
So, you have to get the key that works with that coded disc,
in order for it to activate. And yes, they are specific.
Anotherwords, its like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Other people, will not have it.... That is most certain.
I have no idea where you came up with the "key coded to the disc"
theory, but it's completely untrue.
Blackbeard
2017-06-11 21:32:07 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Have a virtual machine running Windows XP, for running older software,
but need some way to activate it, to avoid reinstallation every 30
days. Working product key would be great. Any help greatly appreciated
... two viable options

https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4002513/

https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/11671768

both options are clean as the driven snow.
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-06-12 10:53:27 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Have a virtual machine running Windows XP, for running older software,
but need some way to activate it, to avoid reinstallation every 30
days. Working product key would be great. Any help greatly appreciated
if you don't mind re-installing XP every 30-120 days, you would not need
a key. Just reinstall everything periodically. :)
SteveGG
2017-06-13 11:21:03 UTC
Yes, that's the way I think I'm going.

I only need one of those "XP apps" every so often, and reinstallation
only takes a few minutes and is good for another 30 days ...
mike
2017-06-13 18:39:58 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Yes, that's the way I think I'm going.
I only need one of those "XP apps" every so often, and reinstallation
only takes a few minutes and is good for another 30 days ...
I missed the post where we learned which app is causing all the commotion.
Care to disclose?
Mike S
2017-06-14 01:22:40 UTC
Post by mike
Post by SteveGG
Yes, that's the way I think I'm going.
I only need one of those "XP apps" every so often, and reinstallation
only takes a few minutes and is good for another 30 days ...
I missed the post where we learned which app is causing all the commotion.
Care to disclose?
Are you running 16bit programs? If so there are other choices you might
consider, Dosbox comes to mind.
SteveGG
2017-06-14 12:06:10 UTC
About 44 miscellaneous programs, writtrn by me in Quick Basic 4.5 and
Visual Basic 3. I suppose that means 16 and 32 bit.
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-06-14 12:43:26 UTC
Post by SteveGG
About 44 miscellaneous programs, writtrn by me in Quick Basic 4.5 and
Visual Basic 3. I suppose that means 16 and 32 bit.
For 16-bit ones, try DOSBox first, then virtual machines that could
install 32-bit Window$.

I heard that Windows 3.1 worked fine in DOSBox. :)
Gene Wirchenko
2017-06-14 17:07:48 UTC
Post by Mike S
Post by mike
Post by SteveGG
Yes, that's the way I think I'm going.
I only need one of those "XP apps" every so often, and reinstallation
only takes a few minutes and is good for another 30 days ...
I missed the post where we learned which app is causing all the commotion.
Care to disclose?
Are you running 16bit programs? If so there are other choices you might
consider, Dosbox comes to mind.
DOSBox is stated to be for games. I use it, but the authors very
definitely state that it is for games. For example, vanilla DOSBox
does not have printer support -- and it will not be added -- because
very few games require it.

That stated, I use DOSBox to run some utilities I wrote and an
editor. I have a version of DOSBox that does have printer support.

I am happy with my setup, but I am not part of DOSBox's intended
user base.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-06-14 18:49:07 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
DOSBox is stated to be for games. I use it, but the authors very
definitely state that it is for games. For example, vanilla DOSBox
does not have printer support -- and it will not be added -- because
very few games require it.
There are serial printers? DOSBox does have serial ports. I haven't
really looked at this possibility though.
Mark Lloyd
2017-06-15 00:40:00 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Post by Gene Wirchenko
DOSBox is stated to be for games. I use it, but the authors very
definitely state that it is for games. For example, vanilla DOSBox
does not have printer support -- and it will not be added -- because
very few games require it.
There are serial printers? DOSBox does have serial ports. I haven't
really looked at this possibility though.
IIRC serial was once the most common printer interface. I never had one,
but a lot of the old computer books had a lot about serial printers.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I do not consider it a sign of divine love to consign to hell people
who live good lives but make an honest mistake in belief" [Moshe
Shulman]
Diesel
2017-06-15 19:13:12 UTC
Post by Mark Lloyd
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Post by Gene Wirchenko
DOSBox is stated to be for games. I use it, but the
authors very
definitely state that it is for games. For example, vanilla
DOSBox does not have printer support -- and it will not be added
-- because very few games require it.
There are serial printers? DOSBox does have serial ports. I
haven't really looked at this possibility though.
IIRC serial was once the most common printer interface. I never
had one, but a lot of the old computer books had a lot about
serial printers.
I did. [g] A 9pin dot matrix. It was SLOW. Slow being relative of
course. I'm comparing it to later stuff that was parallel and usb
driven. And well, even the slowest inkjet is going to walk the dog on a
dot matrix. Even the old 24pins. Unless you start getting into the big
stuff, but, with todays throw away inkjets, they can't run with them
either.
The way to a man's heart is through his back.
Gene Wirchenko
2017-06-15 19:59:02 UTC
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 19:13:12 -0000 (UTC), Diesel <***@privacy.net>
wrote:

[snip]
Post by Diesel
I did. [g] A 9pin dot matrix. It was SLOW. Slow being relative of
course. I'm comparing it to later stuff that was parallel and usb
driven. And well, even the slowest inkjet is going to walk the dog on a
dot matrix. Even the old 24pins. Unless you start getting into the big
stuff, but, with todays throw away inkjets, they can't run with them
either.
I like dot matrix output for program listings. Fanfold paper
rules! It keeps the listing in order with no effort. This is
especially valuable when one is referring to more than one listing at
a time. I can wait a few minutes or do something else while the
listing is being printed.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Diesel
2017-06-17 11:34:47 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[snip]
Post by Diesel
I did. [g] A 9pin dot matrix. It was SLOW. Slow being relative of
course. I'm comparing it to later stuff that was parallel and usb
driven. And well, even the slowest inkjet is going to walk the dog
on a dot matrix. Even the old 24pins. Unless you start getting
into the big stuff, but, with todays throw away inkjets, they
can't run with them either.
I like dot matrix output for program listings. Fanfold paper
rules! It keeps the listing in order with no effort. This is
especially valuable when one is referring to more than one listing
at a time. I can wait a few minutes or do something else while
the listing is being printed.
I haven't used fanfold paper in eons. :) I printed the entire
spitfire v3.2 bbs manual off using it, though. And the renegade
manual, full source to vbbs, etc... but, that was ages and ages ago.
Hell, in the computer world, another lifetime ago.

I don't often run into dot matrix printers, aside from some very
specific jobs. You still have a personal one that's going then? What
make/model might it be? Are you having to reink the ribbon(s)
yourself, or can you still buy them?

Diamonds, but for patience, would be coal.
Shadow
2017-06-17 12:42:50 UTC
Post by Diesel
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[snip]
Post by Diesel
[...]
I have an Epson LQ-570+ right beside me, but I have not used
it or re-inked the ribbons for years. I have some (brand new ~ 10 year
old) spare cartridges in their unopened packages. I used it a lot to
print-screen when I debugged with Softice - DOS.
My black and white Samsung ML 2010 is so much faster, and it
prints better (on my third refill). When I need color prints I go to
the local lanhouse. It's more cost efficient.
[]'s
Ken Blake
2017-06-17 14:26:24 UTC
Post by Diesel
I haven't used fanfold paper in eons. :)
Same here. Probably close to 30 years
I see them often, usually in doctor's offices.
Shadow
2017-06-18 02:48:15 UTC
Post by Diesel
I printed the entire
spitfire v3.2 bbs manual off using it, though. And the renegade
manual, full source to vbbs, etc... but, that was ages and ages ago.
Hell, in the computer world, another lifetime ago.
I don't often run into dot matrix printers, aside from some very
specific jobs.
I see them often, usually in doctor's offices.
Because we need carbon copies. Lord knows why.
I have RSI from filling out official forms manually. Usually
the "original" with 3-4 carbon-paper copies. Aggghhh.
And people complain doctors have bad handwriting.
[]'s
Diesel
2017-06-18 12:52:15 UTC
Post by Diesel
I printed the entire
spitfire v3.2 bbs manual off using it, though. And the renegade
manual, full source to vbbs, etc... but, that was ages and ages ago.
Hell, in the computer world, another lifetime ago.
I don't often run into dot matrix printers, aside from some very
specific jobs.
I see them often, usually in doctor's offices.
Did you miss the 'very specific jobs'? :)

A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it. - Wilde
Mike S
2017-06-14 23:55:29 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
Post by Mike S
Post by mike
Post by SteveGG
[...]
Have you seen this? I haven't tried it but they say it works...

How to Enable 16-bit Application Support in Windows 10
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-16-bit-application-support-windows-10/
Dave Doe
2017-06-15 00:34:00 UTC
Post by Mike S
Post by Gene Wirchenko
Post by Mike S
Post by mike
Post by SteveGG
[...]
Only applies to W10 32bit though :)
Duncan.
SteveGG
2017-06-15 11:03:14 UTC
I haven't been dumb enough to go to 10.
Gene Wirchenko
2017-06-15 16:50:31 UTC
On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 16:55:29 -0700, Mike S <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]
Post by Mike S
Have you seen this? I haven't tried it but they say it works...
How to Enable 16-bit Application Support in Windows 10
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-16-bit-application-support-windows-10/
It is a similar issue with Windows 7. If you have the 32-bit
version, you can run 16-bit apps.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-06-14 12:44:58 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Yes, that's the way I think I'm going.
I only need one of those "XP apps" every so often, and reinstallation
only takes a few minutes and is good for another 30 days ...
Don't forget that Win 2000 didn't need activation, if my memory didn't
blue-screened.
Mark Lloyd
2017-06-15 00:38:32 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Post by SteveGG
Yes, that's the way I think I'm going.
I only need one of those "XP apps" every so often, and reinstallation
only takes a few minutes and is good for another 30 days ...
Don't forget that Win 2000 didn't need activation, if my memory didn't
blue-screened.
The last* version that wasn't distributed as crippleware.

* - Actually ME came after 2000, but 2000 was much better.

Shulman]
Diesel
2017-06-15 19:13:12 UTC
Post by Mark Lloyd
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Post by SteveGG
Yes, that's the way I think I'm going.
I only need one of those "XP apps" every so often, and
reinstallation only takes a few minutes and is good for another
30 days ...
Don't forget that Win 2000 didn't need activation, if my memory
didn't blue-screened.
The last* version that wasn't distributed as crippleware.
I really liked Windows 2000. :( I liked NT4 as well though, it was
great for writing software under. If your app crashed in a horrific
way, it didn't bring down the os around it's ears most of the time.
Unlike win9x/win3x. And with DOS, well, you expected that if your
application crashed hard and hung the system, you were going to be
hitting reset anyhow.. so...
Post by Mark Lloyd
* - Actually ME came after 2000, but 2000 was much better.
ME was horrible. I hated installing it on new systems. It wasn't
around that long considering, but, I despised it. Perfectly good
software and hardware that ran fine under windows 98/se wouldn't
always play so nicely on Windows ME. And, the annoying changes with
the way you could get to a 'real mode' prompt irked me a bit too.
Completely unnecessary at the time to do that.
The way to a man's heart is through his back.
Brian Gregory
2017-06-12 20:58:36 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Have a virtual machine running Windows XP, for running older software,
but need some way to activate it, to avoid reinstallation every 30
days. Working product key would be great. Any help greatly appreciated
ebay or ecrater.

If you want to use your existing installation make sure you are buying
the same edition. (I think both OEM / retail and 32 / 64 bit need to match)
--
Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Diesel
2017-06-15 19:13:11 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Have a virtual machine running Windows XP, for running older
software, but need some way to activate it, to avoid
reinstallation every 30 days. Working product key would be great.
Any help greatly appreciated and thanks.
You have mail.
--
Programming is an unnatural act.