Dual Monitor Question
Add Reply
croy
2017-06-06 16:28:01 UTC
It seems that when I hooked up a second monitor, the first time I dragged an app display to the
second monitor's screen, that layout was cast in concrete. Now whenever I launch and app that
I once dragged to the second monitor, it always comes up there, even if, many times, I have
dragged that app back to the primary monitor.

Where are these settings stored, and how do we edit them?
croy
VanguardLH
2017-06-07 00:41:12 UTC
Post by croy
It seems that when I hooked up a second monitor, the first time I
dragged an app display to the second monitor's screen, that layout
was cast in concrete. Now whenever I launch and app that I once
dragged to the second monitor, it always comes up there, even if,
many times, I have dragged that app back to the primary monitor.
Where are these settings stored, and how do we edit them?
I don't have a second monitor (I just get bigger monitors if I need more
screen space). From what I've read:

- Win+Left/RightArrow should move the app's open window between
monitors. If you want it to stick to a monitor, move the window there
and close it there.

- Ease of Access wizard has the option "Prevent windows from being
automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen". If that
behavior is undesirable and you disable it then Win+Arrow does not work.
In tha case, it looks like you have to use:
o Win+Shift+Left/RightArrow.
o Call up the window's Control menu (click on taskbar button to make
sure window has focus and hit Alt+Space, then hit M (to move the
window). Alternatively, Shift+rightClick the app's taskbar button and
use the Move option to enabled window moving. Then use the left/right
arrow keys to move the window (which you could be doing in the blind if
the other monitor is absent or dead). Press Enter when the moved window
is where you want it.

- Force all app windows to the first monitor by going to Screen
resolution -> Multiple displays -> Show desktop only on 1" (your primary
monitor). This should force all apps to show on your primary display
since it is the only one enabled. Then later go back to using multiple
displays if you want. I think MS is trying the same trick of making
just one monitor the main and only one as noted at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2002029/the-taskbar-appears-on-the-wrong-monitor-after-you-change-the-primary-monitor-in-windows-7

- You never mentioned your video card and the driver/software for it.
If, for example, you are using an AMD/ATI video card and their Catalyst
software, there might be something in there to force an app window to a
specified display, like under Desktop Management. (I don't have
multiple monitors so it won't show my such an option). I have
Catalyst's hotkeys disabled but I noticed that one of them is to swap
desktop mapping when you select "Creating and Arranging Desktops" for
the "List hotkeys for" under the Hotkeys manager.

- Not sure this will work but worth a shot. Switch to the desktop where
you want the app's window to appear. Use Task Manager's Applications
tab to right-click on an app and select "Bring to Front".

For any suggestion that gets the app's window to display on the monitor
of your choice, are you sure that you are *closing* its window on that
desktop?
Ken Blake
2017-06-07 15:34:32 UTC
I don't have a second monitor (I just get bigger monitors if I need more
screen space).
Very big monitors are expensive, and to get more screen space, you
also need a higher resolution, which means a more expensive video card
with more memory.

I use two 23" monitors running at 1920x1080. How big is your monitor,
what video card do you use, and what resolution do you run it at? If
you have a solution that's better than mine and not much more
expensive, I'm all ears--not for now, but for the future.
mike
2017-06-07 20:02:21 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by VanguardLH
I don't have a second monitor (I just get bigger monitors if I need more
screen space).
Very big monitors are expensive, and to get more screen space, you
also need a higher resolution, which means a more expensive video card
with more memory.
I use two 23" monitors running at 1920x1080. How big is your monitor,
what video card do you use, and what resolution do you run it at? If
you have a solution that's better than mine and not much more
expensive, I'm all ears--not for now, but for the future.
I second that.
The only benefit for me would be the ability to have smaller text
to fit more into a smaller area.
Then I'd need bigger glasses.

Two 24" 1920x1200 garage sale monitors or a $400 4K
monitor and a much better video card and new glasses...no contest.
VanguardLH
Cost was never a criteria to the OP's post to which I responded.
Char Jackson
2017-06-15 16:19:58 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by VanguardLH
I don't have a second monitor (I just get bigger monitors if I need more
screen space).
Very big monitors are expensive, and to get more screen space, you
also need a higher resolution, which means a more expensive video card
with more memory.
I use two 23" monitors running at 1920x1080.
That's exactly what I do, except that I also use the laptop display as a
3rd monitor. One of the 23" monitors has a Roku connected to another
input, so I can also use that display as a TV.
Post by Ken Blake
How big is your monitor,
what video card do you use, and what resolution do you run it at? If
you have a solution that's better than mine and not much more
expensive, I'm all ears--not for now, but for the future.
I think I'll stay where I'm at. I prefer multiple monitors over higher
resolution and smaller text. Desk space isn't an issue, fortunately.
Ken Blake
2017-06-15 17:05:40 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by VanguardLH
I don't have a second monitor (I just get bigger monitors if I need more
screen space).
Very big monitors are expensive, and to get more screen space, you
also need a higher resolution, which means a more expensive video card
with more memory.
I use two 23" monitors running at 1920x1080.
That's exactly what I do, except that I also use the laptop display as a
3rd monitor. One of the 23" monitors has a Roku connected to another
input, so I can also use that display as a TV.
I don't have enough desk space or money, but I'd like to have even
more monitors.

Six would be nice, stacked three across and two high. <g>
Paul
2017-06-15 17:25:25 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Char Jackson
Post by Ken Blake
Post by VanguardLH
I don't have a second monitor (I just get bigger monitors if I need more
screen space).
Very big monitors are expensive, and to get more screen space, you
also need a higher resolution, which means a more expensive video card
with more memory.
I use two 23" monitors running at 1920x1080.
That's exactly what I do, except that I also use the laptop display as a
3rd monitor. One of the 23" monitors has a Roku connected to another
input, so I can also use that display as a TV.
I don't have enough desk space or money, but I'd like to have even
more monitors.
Six would be nice, stacked three across and two high. <g>
They do make video cards that can drive six monitors.

Eyefinity 6 has some rules though, so some "planning"
is required before you buy the monitors. Eyefinity isn't
as flexible as using regular multi-monitor setup in the
Display control panel. It's like one GPU output is
being spanned across three connectors or something.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F83MX9921

Usually, the higher end cards have the six connectors.
And some cards can have DVI, HDMI, and four DisplayPort,
just to make it annoying to set up. The card with six
ports all the same, is more of an anomaly.

2017-06-16 15:44:10 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Char Jackson
Post by Ken Blake
Post by VanguardLH
[...]
At one of my consulting locations, there's a guy who has 6 monitors,
although I don't know what he uses to drive them. The physical mounting
is via one of these brackets.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15709
2017-06-16 16:33:58 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Char Jackson
Post by Ken Blake
Post by VanguardLH
[...]
I take it he's in trouble if the wind starts to blow.

2017-06-17 15:33:35 UTC
At one of my consulting locations, there's a guy who has 6 monitors,
although I don't know what he uses to drive them. The physical mounting
is via one of these brackets.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15709
I take it he's in trouble if the wind starts to blow.
Not just him. Considering that it's a NOC (Network Operations Center)
for monitoring the Verizon Wireless network, if the wind starts blowing
in there it probably means they've been directly hit by a tornado. In
that case, there are bigger problems than a couple of monitors falling
over. :-)
Ken Blake
2017-06-16 19:25:29 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Char Jackson
Post by Ken Blake
Post by VanguardLH
[...]
Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. It will never happen here,
though. :-(

And regarding video cards that can drive six monitors, yes, but it's
also possible (and maybe less expensive) to use two video cards.
Paul
2017-06-17 07:21:26 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Char Jackson
Post by Ken Blake
Post by VanguardLH
[...]
Three $40 video cards would do it nicely and allow the
Display control panel to handle it. So that gives a set
of connectors alright.

The only problem is, you might notice a bit of "tearing" on
screen updates. When I tried a couple FX5200 cards and
did a "fake" four monitor setup, I don't think
the results were all that good. Of course, the cards
were gutless, which doesn't help.

I think I could promise you that 3x1 Eyefinity would be
"tear-free", due to the spanning method used. The three monitors
should be time aligned, because there's like, a 5760x1080
"surface" at the crossbar that makes it possible. That's what
a game sees, when it works with Eyefinity.

My worry would be, that Eyefinity 3x2, is just two
independent instances of 3x1. In which case, the top row
of monitors might not be time-aligned to the bottom
row of monitors. This would be something you'd have to
ask a person using that setup. I don't spend my
days reveling in excessive numbers of monitors, as
I can't afford it :-) I only have two real monitors
here, and some connectors with resistors to make
"fake" monitors to extend the dimensions of a setup.

2017-06-17 15:38:31 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Char Jackson
At one of my consulting locations, there's a guy who has 6 monitors,
although I don't know what he uses to drive them. The physical mounting
is via one of these brackets.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15709
Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. It will never happen here,
though. :-(
Nor here. As things stand, I can see across the top of my monitors to a
wall of windows, so I can see outside, down the street, and across the
valley to the other side. Adding a second row of monitors would almost
completely cut me off from that, notwithstanding the fact that I'm
already doing just fine with what I have.
Post by Ken Blake
And regarding video cards that can drive six monitors, yes, but it's
also possible (and maybe less expensive) to use two video cards.
True.
Ken Blake
2017-06-17 18:05:09 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Char Jackson
At one of my consulting locations, there's a guy who has 6 monitors,
although I don't know what he uses to drive them. The physical mounting
is via one of these brackets.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15709
Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. It will never happen here,
though. :-(
Nor here. As things stand, I can see across the top of my monitors to a
wall of windows, so I can see outside, down the street, and across the
valley to the other side. Adding a second row of monitors would almost
completely cut me off from that,
My reason(s) are different. I don't have the desk space, and I would
never want to spend that much.
Post by Char Jackson
notwithstanding the fact that I'm
already doing just fine with what I have.
I'm doing fine with what I have too, but that doesn't stop me from
wanting more. <g>

Paul in Houston TX
2017-06-07 21:39:07 UTC
Post by croy
It seems that when I hooked up a second monitor, the first time I dragged an app display to the
second monitor's screen, that layout was cast in concrete. Now whenever I launch and app that
I once dragged to the second monitor, it always comes up there, even if, many times, I have
dragged that app back to the primary monitor.
Where are these settings stored, and how do we edit them?
The Windows settings may be getting overwritten by your graphics software.
Check the graphics software settings and see.
If that is ok then you might want to reinstall the graphics drivers.
VanguardLH
2017-06-17 10:09:14 UTC
Post by croy
It seems that when I hooked up a second monitor, the first time I dragged an app display to the
second monitor's screen, that layout was cast in concrete. Now whenever I launch and app that
I once dragged to the second monitor, it always comes up there, even if, many times, I have
dragged that app back to the primary monitor.
Where are these settings stored, and how do we edit them?
So, croy, other than the off-topic subthread that wandered off about
using multiple monitors versus bigger monitors spawned by a simple
parenthetical note not intended as a major topic (or, as a side thought,
using virtual desktops to increase desktop space while also allowing
organization) ...

Did you try the keyboard shortcuts or other suggestions to see if any
worked to resolve your problem of assigning a program's window to a
particular monitor?

Croy, still here? Was it important to you? It's been over 11 days
since you asked.