Lock desktop icons
Add Reply
swalker
2018-07-03 21:44:14 UTC
I must be brain dead or something. I could swear that at one time I
could right click on the desktop and choose to lock the icons in
place.

No more if I ever could.

Now Win7 wants to move my icons around every now and then

How do I make them stay as I want them to.

Thanks.
Paul in Houston TX
2018-07-03 22:33:40 UTC
Post by swalker
I must be brain dead or something. I could swear that at one time I
could right click on the desktop and choose to lock the icons in
place.
No more if I ever could.
Now Win7 wants to move my icons around every now and then
How do I make them stay as I want them to.
Thanks.
Get Desktop Restore directly from the maker and not from a
third party spam, trojan, site.
Go here:
http://www.midiox.com/

It can be done manually but, imo, it's not worth effort
of rebuilding the registry every time the icons move around.
Jo-Anne
2018-07-03 23:41:51 UTC
Post by swalker
I must be brain dead or something. I could swear that at one time I
could right click on the desktop and choose to lock the icons in
place.
No more if I ever could.
Now Win7 wants to move my icons around every now and then
How do I make them stay as I want them to.
Thanks.
I've been using DesktopOK since I bought a Win7 computer and my old icon
restorer no longer worked. It's at

https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/DesktopOK
Jo-Anne
Monty
And it also works very well in Windows 10.
๐Ÿ˜‰ Good Guy ๐Ÿ˜‰
2018-07-04 00:02:10 UTC
Post by swalker
I must be brain dead or something. I could swear that at one time I
could right click on the desktop and choose to lock the icons in
place.
No more if I ever could.
Now Win7 wants to move my icons around every now and then
How do I make them stay as I want them to.
Thanks.
Right-Click >> View >> Align Icons to Grid.

This settings never moves icons "every now and then". The problem is
there are some idiots like that Arlen Pedo who has removed almost
everything from his machine because he stupidly believed that Microsoft
is spying on him and recording everything about his activities of
abusing young boys.

From: swalker <***@newsguy.com>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Lock desktop icons
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 16:44:14 -0500
Windows Defender software.
//https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/comprehensive-security/
--
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
Peter Jason
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 16:44:14 -0500
Windows Defender software.
//https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/comprehensive-security/
I'm not getting your images; and how do I wordwrap
your curious format?
Paul
2018-07-05 22:54:18 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
I'm not getting your images; and how do I wordwrap
your curious format?
You can use the archive here. Enter a <MID>
to search.

http://al.howardknight.net/

This is the previous post.

http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&A=0&MSGI=%3Cphh2q1%24r9c%241%40news.mixmin.net%3E

HowardKnight was forced to truncate long posts, to
prevent the server from becoming a "transit" server
for movie content. The closing MIME line might be
missing from the sample posting.

Paul
Monty
2018-07-05 23:41:27 UTC
If you are using Forte Agent, clicking View / Word Wrap works for me.
Peter Jason
2018-07-06 00:55:30 UTC
On Fri, 06 Jul 2018 09:41:27 +1000, Monty
Post by Monty
Post by Peter Jason
I'm not getting your images; and how do I wordwrap
your curious format?
If you are using Forte Agent, clicking View / Word Wrap works for me.
I am but it doesn't seem to work for the
curious-format posts of Old Guy

VanguardLH
2018-07-04 02:47:23 UTC
Post by swalker
I must be brain dead or something. I could swear that at one time I
could right click on the desktop and choose to lock the icons in
place. No more if I ever could. Now Win7 wants to move my icons
around every now and then How do I make them stay as I want them to.
Nope, never been a lock icon position option. They're moving about
probably because you are changing screen resolution whether overtly or
perhaps due to playing a video game. You need a 3rd party tool to
record icon positions and restore them to that layout when they get
moved. Others already recommended some 3rd party tools. Some others
that I've heard about (but never used) are: IconRestorer, Iconoid, Nimi
Places, and Stardock Fences.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-07-04 07:40:39 UTC
Post by swalker
I must be brain dead or something. I could swear that at one time I
could right click on the desktop and choose to lock the icons in
place. No more if I ever could. Now Win7 wants to move my icons
around every now and then How do I make them stay as I want them to.
Nope, never been a lock icon position option. They're moving about
And it's been a problem since at least '95 (I _think_ 3.1 didn't suffer
from the problem). You're probably remembering having had a 3rd-party
utility - I don't remember any of them having a lock option, but all
have a (save, obviously and) restore option.
Post by VanguardLH
probably because you are changing screen resolution whether overtly or
perhaps due to playing a video game. You need a 3rd party tool to
It _can_ happen with less obvious causes, too.
Post by VanguardLH
record icon positions and restore them to that layout when they get
moved. Others already recommended some 3rd party tools. Some others
that I've heard about (but never used) are: IconRestorer, Iconoid, Nimi
Places, and Stardock Fences.
My favourite was the one from Melissa Nguyen - something like EasyDesk;
however, it doesn't work on 7. I've found iconoid (from sillysot) and
DesktopOK work fine; DesktopOK is the only one (that I know of - I
haven't tried all of the above) that can actually save to and restore
from a real file on disc (though that's not its default method), as
opposed to storing in the registry.

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.