OT Remote TV Viewing
Oft
2017-08-07 17:04:58 UTC
View live or recorded TV.

Location 1
Win 7 Pro with Media Center and Dual TV Tuner to roof antenna.
High speed internet up and down.

Location 2
Win 7 Pro PC
medium speed download internet.

what are ways to get
1) Media Center recordings from Location 1 to Location 2

2) Live TV from Location 1 to Location 2

Please consider all possible methods including buying additional
software and hardware.
pjp
2017-08-07 18:58:17 UTC
Post by Oft
View live or recorded TV.
Location 1
Win 7 Pro with Media Center and Dual TV Tuner to roof antenna.
High speed internet up and down.
Location 2
Win 7 Pro PC
medium speed download internet.
what are ways to get
1) Media Center recordings from Location 1 to Location 2
2) Live TV from Location 1 to Location 2
Please consider all possible methods including buying additional
software and hardware.
Well you can simply copy the recorded video files. They're no different
than any other filetype.

I'm sure there are numerous way to "stream" video from the one pc to
another. The only one I've ever used was Windows Media Encoder (or some
name like that) did it for me few years ago now when I went down same
road. I remember that package as not intuitive and you had to read and
understand fair amount before it'd work but once past that hurdle it
worked fine even viewing streamed video on old pcs.
mike
2017-08-07 20:38:29 UTC
Post by Oft
View live or recorded TV.
Location 1
Win 7 Pro with Media Center and Dual TV Tuner to roof antenna.
High speed internet up and down.
Location 2
Win 7 Pro PC
medium speed download internet.
what are ways to get
1) Media Center recordings from Location 1 to Location 2
2) Live TV from Location 1 to Location 2
Please consider all possible methods including buying additional
software and hardware.
I use VLC to watch all my .wtv time-shifted files.
Shouldn't be any problem with watching a remote file.
VLC has the ability to speed up the playback. I watch
at 1.7X and skip the commercials.

You can watch while it's recording. Not exactly real-time,
but can be a short delay.

VLC has the ability to stream, but I've never been successful
making that work.

Media center should be able to play a file while recording.
I don't use it because I can't speed it up.

Part of your problem is finding your remote PC.
You probably don't have a fixed external IP address.
You can fix that with FREE DNS and mooo.com.
Start with mooo.com for instructions.

Not sure your concept of high speed and medium speed internet.
.wtv files are HUGE. IRRC, it takes almost 20Mbps to play
one competently without hesitation.
Laptops and tablets I've tried tend to bottleneck at the
network. Playing .wtv takes most of the CPU. Add network
access and encryption and antivirus and firewall to the
mix and there just isn't enough CPU to make it all work.

.wtv is very efficient. With a dual-core 2.8GHz PC, I can
record 4 channels and play a file simultaneously, but it
maxes out the CPU. If you're trying to compress two
TV channels to a highly compressed format
then decode it back out to the network,
It'll take a lot more horsepower. Some external tuners
do the compression internally. That can ease the PC task
considerably.

Handbrake can be used to convert .wtv to something lighter.
IIRC, it takes about as long to convert a file as it does
to watch it.

Somewhere around here I have a HomeRun tuner that records in
a format that's much more space-efficient. But, to get that,
I'd have to use their recording application. I really like
the freedom from motion artifacts that I get with .wtv format.

I stick with mediacenter for recording because the program
recording scheduler and EPG are very easy to use. Never found
anything close (and free) for setting up scheduled recordings.
If I needed to watch it over the internet, I might have to reconsider.

I picked the programs referenced above because they're all
easy to setup and use. I've tried a lot of others that turned
out to be a nightmare to setup and use. Linux looks like
an alternative, but I've never made any Linux TV recording apps
operate conveniently.
Char Jackson
2017-08-07 22:12:29 UTC
Post by mike
.wtv is very efficient. With a dual-core 2.8GHz PC, I can
record 4 channels and play a file simultaneously, but it
maxes out the CPU. If you're trying to compress two
TV channels to a highly compressed format
then decode it back out to the network,
It'll take a lot more horsepower. Some external tuners
do the compression internally. That can ease the PC task
considerably.
Somewhere around here I have a HomeRun tuner that records in
a format that's much more space-efficient. But, to get that,
I'd have to use their recording application. I really like
the freedom from motion artifacts that I get with .wtv format.
I have a pair of HDHomeRun tuners that worked very well with Windows
Media Center. You should be able to get that to work.
(PeteCresswell)
2017-08-07 23:17:33 UTC
I have a pair of HDHomeRun tuners that worked very well with Windows
Media Center. You should be able to get that to work.
Somewhere, I came away thinking that HD HomeRuns could be viewed over a
WAN.
Pete Cresswell
Char Jackson
2017-08-08 02:48:02 UTC
Post by (PeteCresswell)
Post by Char Jackson
I have a pair of HDHomeRun tuners that worked very well with Windows
Media Center. You should be able to get that to work.
Somewhere, I came away thinking that HD HomeRuns could be viewed over a
WAN.
In theory, I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I haven't tried it.
GlowingBlueMist
2017-08-08 05:25:29 UTC
Post by (PeteCresswell)
Post by Char Jackson
I have a pair of HDHomeRun tuners that worked very well with Windows
Media Center. You should be able to get that to work.
Somewhere, I came away thinking that HD HomeRuns could be viewed over a
WAN.
In theory, I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I haven't tried it.
I have watch shows recorded at home by HDHomeRun from my machine in
Tennessee on my laptop while staying at a Bed and Breakfast in Florida.
I was using TeamViewer to access a PC at home and it basically ran the
TV show with me piggy-backing on it with the Team Viewer program.

I'm sure if I set up something using DDNS either on my file server or on
a PC at "home" and connect that way eliminating the use of TeamViewer.
Either directly to the file server holding the files or through a PC
that can access the file server. I just have not taken the time to try.
mike
2017-08-08 03:24:07 UTC
Post by mike
.wtv is very efficient. With a dual-core 2.8GHz PC, I can
record 4 channels and play a file simultaneously, but it
maxes out the CPU. If you're trying to compress two
TV channels to a highly compressed format
then decode it back out to the network,
It'll take a lot more horsepower. Some external tuners
do the compression internally. That can ease the PC task
considerably.
Somewhere around here I have a HomeRun tuner that records in
a format that's much more space-efficient. But, to get that,
I'd have to use their recording application. I really like
the freedom from motion artifacts that I get with .wtv format.
I have a pair of HDHomeRun tuners that worked very well with Windows
Media Center. You should be able to get that to work.
Does media center have any way to record in anything but .wtv format?
It's not the tuner, but the recording format that is at issue.
Char Jackson
2017-08-08 06:16:26 UTC
Post by mike
Post by Char Jackson
Post by mike
[...]
I don't know the answer to that question. Hopefully, someone else does.

As I recall, it was WMC's .wtv recording format that sent me looking for
an alternative. I ended up with SageTV, which was excellent. Recordings
were in .mpg (as in, mpeg2) format, so a 1 hour HD program would run
about 7.5GB. You can eat up some serious disk space that way.
pjp
2017-08-08 06:59:52 UTC
Post by mike
Post by Char Jackson
Post by mike
[...]
I've not found it any problem to convert the wmc files to whatever
format I desire so provided you have enough disk spoace for original
recording plus converted copy ...
mike
2017-08-08 07:34:34 UTC
Post by pjp
Post by mike
Post by Char Jackson
Post by mike
[...]
Yes, but that's not the issue. If you want to save disk space
and data rate required across the internet,
you need a more compact format.
Transcoding takes a LOT of time. Way too much time to be practical
for everything you record.
(PeteCresswell)
2017-08-08 14:14:19 UTC
Post by mike
Does media center have any way to record in anything but .wtv format?
It's not the tuner, but the recording format that is at issue.
I use SageTV and HDHomeRun OTA tuners.

AFIK, Sage does not do any transcoding.

Instead, the HDHomeRuns feed it their own .MPG streams that get written
directly do disk.

As cheap as disk space is getting, I don't worry about file size at all.
Pete Cresswell
mike
2017-08-08 19:58:32 UTC
Post by (PeteCresswell)
Post by mike
Does media center have any way to record in anything but .wtv format?
It's not the tuner, but the recording format that is at issue.
I use SageTV and HDHomeRun OTA tuners.
AFIK, Sage does not do any transcoding.
Instead, the HDHomeRuns feed it their own .MPG streams that get written
directly do disk.
As cheap as disk space is getting, I don't worry about file size at all.
File size does matter when you have a thin pipe.
When you have a bigger file storing the same video duration,
you need a higher data rate to view/move it. Makes a difference
for remote viewing.
The OP didn't make it clear, but remote viewing often
takes place where internet throughput is less than optimum...like
a vacation home or cabin in the woods.

IIRC, it takes a lot more horsepower to software decode/play a .mpg file
than
a .wtv file.
Depending on your playing device, some don't support .wtv...
some may not have the horsepower to software decode high resolution
files in other formats.

I find the motion artifacts in the HDHomeRun files to be distracting,
so mine's in the closet gathering dust.

Lots of issues related to remote viewing.
(PeteCresswell)
2017-08-09 20:05:56 UTC
Post by mike
File size does matter when you have a thin pipe.
When you have a bigger file storing the same video duration,
you need a higher data rate to view/move it. Makes a difference
for remote viewing.
The OP didn't make it clear, but remote viewing often
takes place where internet throughput is less than optimum...like
a vacation home or cabin in the woods.
Sounds like SageTVPlaceShifter would be a better choice than the
HDHomeRun remote viewing utility then... since PlaceShifter dynamically
adjusts the transcoding/bitstreamwidth to the available bandwidth.

Unless, of course, the HDHomeRun utility does something similar....

Has anybody tried SiliconDust's (makers of HDHomeRun) DVR application
yet?
Pete Cresswell
(PeteCresswell)
2017-08-07 21:39:38 UTC
Post by Oft
Please consider all possible methods including buying additional
software and hardware.
SageTV v9 (the latest open-source version) on the Location 1 PC.

SageTV "PlaceShifter" on the Location 2 PC.

The slick thing about PlaceShifter is that the Sage server dopes out the
bandwidth and adjusts rez accordingly. I have had it work on some
pretty pathetic connections.

It also does a nice (IMHO) job of presenting lists of the material that
can be viewed.
Pete Cresswell
Paul
2017-08-08 21:32:25 UTC
Post by Oft
View live or recorded TV.
Location 1
Win 7 Pro with Media Center and Dual TV Tuner to roof antenna.
High speed internet up and down.
Location 2
Win 7 Pro PC
medium speed download internet.
what are ways to get
1) Media Center recordings from Location 1 to Location 2
2) Live TV from Location 1 to Location 2
Please consider all possible methods including buying additional
software and hardware.
You can try transcoding some of your existing collection with this.
I modified the command a bit, to convert the whole video (two hours
worth). Since the command here "implies" stream copying, this
should go as fast as the hard drives can go. I used two different
partitions here when making up a path, so that two different
hard drives could be used while copying.

http://www.dirkbertels.net/video/wtv.php

(unpack to C:\ffmpeg\bin first...)

cd \
cd C:\ffmpeg\bin

ffmpeg.exe -i C:\sample.wtv -vcodec copy -acodec copy -target ntsc-dvd D:\sample.mpg

Then figure out a way to serve "sample.mpg" to some other media server stuff.
Windows Media Player can stream, and I think VLC can stream,
amongst others.

FFMPEG can be obtained here. Use the release one
rather than the nightly, as the nightly seemed to have
some broken dependencies the last time I tested it.
On other occasions, I've had no trouble with the Zeranoe
stuff.

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Other programs in the package are ffplay

ffplay sample.wtv

and ffprobe. ffprobe can dump packets from the video,
which you don't need at the moment.

2017-08-08 23:38:19 UTC
Post by Oft
[...]
And if you don't have Media Center set up (I don't),
there is a sample file provided with my copy of Win7 Pro.

win7_scenic-demoshort_raw.wtv 9,699,328 bytes

Now, it's a miserable sample, like all samples of this sort,
but at least it allows you to see some of the metadata fields
included inside the video.

WM/WMRVContentProtected: false

That's why this one plays for me in ffplay, and
why I should be able to convert it to something else.

Some DTV channels mark the local news as "protected content",
so be prepared for surprises when it comes to converting
or streaming. Since there is no sample file with the
above item set to "true", there's no opportunity
to see whether the thing is really encrypted or not
for DRM purposes. It should be, just as some DVRs,
the hard drive contents are encrypted to prevent
re-purposing the captured contend.

2017-08-19 18:17:39 UTC
Post by Oft
View live or recorded TV.
Location 1
Win 7 Pro with Media Center and Dual TV Tuner to roof antenna.
High speed internet up and down.
Location 2
Win 7 Pro PC
medium speed download internet.
what are ways to get
1) Media Center recordings from Location 1 to Location 2
2) Live TV from Location 1 to Location 2
Please consider all possible methods including buying additional
software and hardware.
Here's an article on doing (1). It uses WMC and WMP.

WMC and WMP, streaming.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245888/how_to_stream_digital_media_from_your_windows_7_pc.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245888/how_to_stream_digital_media_from_your_windows_7_pc.html?page=2

That article seems to use port 443 on the outside of the
router, implying transport encryption.

"It is highly recommended that you also map
external port 443 to internal port 10245"

And it needs some sort of "account", so that a login
dialog box will appear when you're sitting in Starbucks
with your laptop. The article is from 2011, and mentions
using a "LiveID", but by now that could be an MSA
or something.

And the following two exaoples, show how two TV channels
can broadcast a different stream setup for your recording.
I can play back a wtv unencrypted file, using FFMPEG kit.
But I have to select a particular stream, if I want it
to work a certain way.

*******

Stream #0:0[0xc](eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 384 kb/s
Stream #0:1[0xd](enm): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s (hearing impaired)
Stream #0:2[0xe]: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p(tv), 704x480, max. 24000 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 10000k tbn, 59.94 tbc
Stream #0:3[0xffffffff]: Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p(pc, bt470bg/unknown/unknown), 200x113 [SAR 96:96 DAR 200:113], 90k tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc
Metadata: title : TV Thumbnail
Stream #0:4[0xf]: Subtitle: eia_608

ffplay -ast 1 -vst 2 -x 704 -7 480 some.wtv

*******

Stream #0:0[0x2f](eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 384 kb/s
Stream #0:1[0x30](enm): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s (visual impaired)
Stream #0:2[0x31](eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
Stream #0:3[0x32]: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p(tv), 704x480, 16999 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 10000k tbn, 59.94 tbc
Stream #0:4[0x33]: Subtitle: eia_608
Stream #0:5[0xffffffff]: Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p(pc, bt470bg/unknown/unknown), 200x113 [SAR 96:96 DAR 200:113], 90k tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc
Metadata: title : TV Thumbnail

ffplay -ast 2 -vst 3 -x 704 -y 480 this.wtv

The purpose of me pointing that out, is if you use another streaming
solution (Serviio, Plex, or whatever), sometimes variations in
content like that could result in funny results on the streaming end.

Each streaming solution, can have its own issues. With Serviio,
when I tested it, I think Java had to be installed. It appears to
be used outside the home, a license is required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serviio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plex_(software) which suggests looking at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodi_(software)

You could spend the rest of your life reading articles like that.

I think I had XBMC running here at one time, and I also
had Serviio running (but it wouldn't transcode the stuff
I was working with). It's going to be a challenge
doing this for free, getting it to work outside the
house, and grind up the .wtv files as appropriate.

But at least the materials are there to play with.

Paul
David B.
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it."
Paul
2017-08-29 06:12:59 UTC
Post by Oft
View live or recorded TV.
Location 1
Win 7 Pro with Media Center and Dual TV Tuner to roof antenna.
High speed internet up and down.
Location 2
Win 7 Pro PC
medium speed download internet.
what are ways to get
1) Media Center recordings from Location 1 to Location 2
2) Live TV from Location 1 to Location 2
Please consider all possible methods including buying additional
software and hardware.
I got a chance to test "WinTV8 with Extend", which
works with Hauppauge tuners. I tested it on the LAN
segment, but the software claims to support usage through
a router (requires Port Forward of port 7799, or a different
port number if you want). One login scheme uses a "PIN".
I didn't set that part of it up.

<-- 1.36Mbit/sec
+----------------------------+
| |
Web browser WinTV8 Extend
Adobe Flash HVR2255 dual tuner
192.168.1.2:7799 (Transcodes video, uses ~ 1 whole core)
Has channel selector (Converts MPEG to Flash ???)

I was able to install the software on the PC with the
HVR2255 dual tuner card. Then, on a second PC, use
a web browser with Adobe Flash loaded.

http://192.168.1.2:7799

The bandwidth required, if I were to use my 15/1 Mbit/sec ADSL
connection, it's 0.36Mbit/sec too much for the upload rate.
So I couldn't actually use this at a Starbucks. I would need
the 15/10 VDSL Internet service for a couple bucks per month more.
I would need slightly better Internet, for it to work well.

But, it works on my LAN, and it only took 10-15 minutes to set up.

This is the remote viewing end. The server running on the
machine with the tuner, you don't need to have any program
window on the screen of that machine, while the tuner is
being used remotely.

The software costs around $10 plus $5 for postage. It
took 10 days to get here via USPS. It's available
from Hauppauge ( http://www.hauppauge.com/ )

I expect, to your ISP, that will look like you're
running a web server. As it's streaming Flash packets.
It doesn't matter that it's on port 7799. That has
zero weight as far as the ISP is concerned.

And the serving end is running Win7, just to keep
this on topic :-)

Paul
pjp
2017-08-29 16:54:48 UTC
Post by Oft
[...]
That's nice to know but I'm po'd at Happauge for not allowing anyone to
update their software from Version 7 to Version 8 without paying. Got an
almost brand new 950Q Hybred Tuner of theirs and stuck at ver 7 that
came with it.

Also note - of 5 pcs I've tried (4 - 7, 1 XP) their software works
always. WMC only works on two of them, some unrecoverable error problem
after scanning channels on the other 3. Have no idea what problem is or
how to fix it.