OT VLC
Ferbisher
2018-03-17 21:58:35 UTC
Old and or new VLC 3. question

I load one or more vidoes and VLC keeps adjusting the size of the
screen. This is terrible since sometimes it is off screen.

how do I tell VLC to stay withing some area on the screen ?

missing feature ?

Seems a simple thing to have as a setting !

I have the latest version running on Win XP pro and Win 7
VLC on Win 7 crashes almost after each play.
It wants to send info but I only did this once or twice.
Paul
2018-03-17 22:34:53 UTC
Post by Ferbisher
Old and or new VLC 3. question
I load one or more vidoes and VLC keeps adjusting the size of the
screen. This is terrible since sometimes it is off screen.
how do I tell VLC to stay withing some area on the screen ?
missing feature ?
Seems a simple thing to have as a setting !
I have the latest version running on Win XP pro and Win 7
VLC on Win 7 crashes almost after each play.
It wants to send info but I only did this once or twice.
There seem to be a few controls. But I can't be sure
they're the one you want though.

https://superuser.com/questions/368743/how-to-prevent-vlc-from-automatically-resizing-its-window-according-to-viewed-co

Paul
Ferbisher
2018-03-18 00:46:51 UTC
For others, make sure you read the replies too as there are two setting
to change (use QT interface) then save then close and reopen VLC and it
will work.

So what is QT vs default interface?
I do not see a difference.
Paul
2018-03-18 06:40:14 UTC
Post by Ferbisher
For others, make sure you read the replies too as there are two setting
to change (use QT interface) then save then close and reopen VLC and it
will work.
So what is QT vs default interface?
I do not see a difference.
Qt is a cross-platform library for making windows and
decorations, on multiple OS platforms. It allows a person
to write the program once, in a high level language, and
have the window decorations be the same on all computers.

I don't think there remains a non-Qt VLC method. Perhaps some
early version of the program, did different things for each
platform (which would add more code and make maintenance
more difficult).

https://wiki.videolan.org/Qt_Interface

The program is open-source, so it's possible derivatives
of the code could be made.

*******

If that program is Qt, it's well hidden. Normally, Qt programs
need a large DLL or .so or the like, with the Qt support in it.
In my copy of VLC here, I don't see the normal (bloated) Qt files
as such. On some programs, you might see a module around 20MB
or more, and even when a program isn't labeled as such, if you
see huge files like that, it hints that Qt might be involved.
The VLC install folder is pretty big, but no one file stands out
as being "Qt in size". So I don't know how they've managed that.

*******

Here is an example of a program with a "simple" function. The objective
is to build a screen capture program. Now, look at the size of the
code files. The average code file here, is larger than the stuff
you see in VLC. There are sufficient libraries in here, to
include playback functions. No wonder this program is now
sold for $$ a copy. The web site selling it, must burn up
a lot of bandwidth. And look how big the Unicode support is.

Icecream Screen Recorder:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 10016768 Jul 2 09:23 avcodec-56.dll \
-rw-rw-r-- 1 243200 Jul 2 09:24 avdevice-56.dll \
-rw-rw-r-- 1 1330688 Jul 2 09:24 avfilter-5.dll \___ libAV
-rw-rw-r-- 1 1985536 Jul 2 09:24 avformat-56.dll /
-rw-rw-r-- 1 637952 Jul 2 08:01 avutil-54.dll /
-rw-rw-r-- 1 138240 Aug 8 2014 CrashRpt1403.dll \ FOSS Crash reporter
-rw-rw-r-- 1 8214 Oct 13 2013 crashrpt_lang.ini \ that Firefox uses
-rw-rw-r-- 1 104960 Aug 8 2014 CrashRptProbe1403.dll /
-rwxrwxr-x 1 945152 Aug 8 2014 CrashSender1403.exe /
-rw-rw-r-- 1 1256080 Jul 16 2014 dbghelp.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 23507968 Jan 15 2014 icudt52.dll \ International Components for Unicode
-rw-rw-r-- 1 1798656 Jan 15 2014 icuin52.dll \__
-rw-rw-r-- 1 1304064 Jan 15 2014 icuuc52.dll /
drwxrwxr-x 2 4096 Dec 2 11:31 imageformats
-rw-rw-r-- 1 421200 Jun 10 2011 msvcp100.dll \___ Microsoft VCRedist?
-rw-rw-r-- 1 773968 Jun 10 2011 msvcr100.dll /
drwxrwxr-x 2 4096 Dec 2 11:31 platforms
-rw-rw-r-- 1 4111872 Nov 16 2014 Qt5Core.dll \
-rw-rw-r-- 1 4342272 May 15 2014 Qt5Gui.dll \
-rw-rw-r-- 1 849408 May 15 2014 Qt5Network.dll \___ modular...
-rw-rw-r-- 1 4370944 May 15 2014 Qt5Widgets.dll /
-rw-rw-r-- 1 190976 May 15 2014 Qt5WinExtras.dll /
-rwxrwxr-x 1 116736 Jun 30 21:44 quickshot.exe
-rwxrwxr-x 1 1841152 Aug 20 09:02 recorder.exe <=== a lot of baggage, to support this
-rw-rw-r-- 1 256512 Jul 2 09:22 swresample-1.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 691712 Jul 2 08:01 swscale-3.dll
drwxrwxr-x 2 4096 Dec 2 11:31 translations
-rw-rw-r-- 1 25573 Dec 2 11:31 unins000.dat
-rwxrwxr-x 1 1559753 Dec 2 11:31 unins000.exe

Icecream Screen Recorder/imageformats:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 32256 May 15 2014 qdds.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 21504 May 15 2014 qgif.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 27648 May 15 2014 qicns.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 20992 May 15 2014 qico.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 381952 May 15 2014 qjp2.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 204800 May 15 2014 qjpeg.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 218112 May 15 2014 qmng.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 15872 May 15 2014 qsvg.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 15360 May 15 2014 qtga.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 307712 May 15 2014 qtiff.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 14848 May 15 2014 qwbmp.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 252928 May 15 2014 qwebp.dll

Icecream Screen Recorder/platforms:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 261336 Aug 13 14:47 promo.bmp
-rw-rw-r-- 1 24576 May 15 2014 qminimal.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 432640 May 15 2014 qoffscreen.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 875008 May 15 2014 qwindows.dll

Icecream Screen Recorder/translations:
-rw-rw-r-- 1 23362 Aug 7 12:49 lang_en.qm

The Program Files folder for VideoLAN, isn't nearly
that bad. VLC has a lot more functions, and a larger
number of overall code modules as a result. The above
is probably as big as VLC, but with only one function
(screen capture).

Paul
pjp
2018-03-17 23:55:17 UTC
In article <p8k32e$1bbo$***@adenine.netfront.net>, ***@Ferbisher.com
says...
Post by Ferbisher
Old and or new VLC 3. question
I load one or more vidoes and VLC keeps adjusting the size of the
screen. This is terrible since sometimes it is off screen.
how do I tell VLC to stay withing some area on the screen ?
missing feature ?
Seems a simple thing to have as a setting !
I have the latest version running on Win XP pro and Win 7
VLC on Win 7 crashes almost after each play.
It wants to send info but I only did this once or twice.
I re-encode all my videos to a specific size and format before I watch
them (except snippet to see what I'm dealing with) and save them to
backup (everything :).

Never a problem as they're all the same when I play them back, e.g. XVid
at 720x480 (NTSC DVD quality) with 192Kps MP3 audio. Choose what you
like :) but at 68 I'm happy with DVD quality and it makes it easy to
actually burn a physical dvd using Nero Vision.

I use Any Video Converter (free version) converts 95+% of the files I
acquire with once setup first time takes drag-n-drop then one click.
Shadow
2018-03-18 02:41:09 UTC
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 14:58:35 -0700, Ferbisher
Post by Ferbisher
Old and or new VLC 3. question
I load one or more vidoes and VLC keeps adjusting the size of the
screen. This is terrible since sometimes it is off screen.
how do I tell VLC to stay withing some area on the screen ?
missing feature ?
Seems a simple thing to have as a setting !
Tools ---> settings ---> unmark "resize interface to video
size" on the right hand side.
Post by Ferbisher
I have the latest version running on Win XP pro and Win 7
VLC on Win 7 crashes almost after each play.
It wants to send info but I only did this once or twice.
I tried 3.0.0, then 3.0.1 and finally reverted to 2.2.8. No
more crashes.
HTH
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-18 16:28:24 UTC
Post by Shadow
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 14:58:35 -0700, Ferbisher
[]
Post by Shadow
Post by Ferbisher
how do I tell VLC to stay withing some area on the screen ?
missing feature ?
Seems a simple thing to have as a setting !
Tools ---> settings ---> unmark "resize interface to video
size" on the right hand side.
In mine (3.0.0 on Windows 7), that's Preferences, rather than settings.

What has happened since 1979, I suspect, is that the spotting of mistakes has
become entirely associated with mean-spiritedness, snobbishness and
judgementalism. But...can be...funny and interesting.
Lynn Truss, RT 2015/2/21-27
Shadow
2018-03-18 19:04:01 UTC
Post by Shadow
Post by Ferbisher
how do I tell VLC to stay withing some area on the screen ?
missing feature ?
Seems a simple thing to have as a setting !
Tools ---> settings ---> unmark "resize interface to video
size" on the right hand side.
In mine (3.0.0 on Windows 7), that's Preferences, rather than settings.
Ferramentas ---> preferencias

Hum. Mine too, if I choose English ....
I think the OP got the general idea. I had the same problem a
while ago and jotted down the fix.
[]'s
Mayayana
2018-03-18 02:59:17 UTC
"Ferbisher" <***@Ferbisher.com> wrote

| I have the latest version running on Win XP pro and Win 7
| VLC on Win 7 crashes almost after each play.
| It wants to send info but I only did this once or twice.

I'm using 2.0.5 on XP. I updated to 2.1.5 at one point and
I was having problems. If I remember correctly it was something
like static lines on the video. So I went back to 2.0.5. I have
no problems with that and haven't come across anything that
it can't show.

It used to be that most software updates would involve
publishing release notes. These days that's rare. I don't see
any sign of them at VideoLAN. So is v. 3 a complete rebuild
with 57 specific bug fixes, or is it merely a renovation of
the UI? Is there anything added from 2.0 to 2.1 that really
matters? There's no way to know.
Paul
2018-03-18 05:43:34 UTC
Post by Mayayana
| I have the latest version running on Win XP pro and Win 7
| VLC on Win 7 crashes almost after each play.
| It wants to send info but I only did this once or twice.

I'm using 2.0.5 on XP. I updated to 2.1.5 at one point and
I was having problems. If I remember correctly it was something
like static lines on the video. So I went back to 2.0.5. I have
no problems with that and haven't come across anything that
it can't show.
It used to be that most software updates would involve
publishing release notes. These days that's rare. I don't see
any sign of them at VideoLAN. So is v. 3 a complete rebuild
with 57 specific bug fixes, or is it merely a renovation of
the UI? Is there anything added from 2.0 to 2.1 that really
matters? There's no way to know.
https://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc-branch/NEWS

...5072 lines of text

In it, it has the news that:

* 3.0.x will be maintained as a LTS (best-effort basis, mostly for security)
that will be the last working version for quite a few systems.

Indeed the 3.0.x branch will contain the last releases running on:
- Windows XP,
Vista,
and the servers equivalent of those Windows versions

- macOS 10.7, 10.8 & 10.9, iOS 7 & 8
- Android 2.x, 3.x, 4.0.x & 4.1.x

It seems to be taking a page from browser design.
For what reason ? Who knows.

2018-03-18 14:26:48 UTC
"Paul" <***@needed.invalid> wrote

| https://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc-branch/NEWS

Thanks. I couldn't find a link to release notes. Though
I'm not sure I care to read all of that. There are a surprising
number of releases just betwee, 2.05 and 2.15.

Maybe I'll try the 3.0 release. If it's stable I'll
save it as my default for backup.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-18 16:32:58 UTC
In message <p8kua6$8fa$***@dont-email.me>, Paul <***@needed.invalid>
writes:
* 3.0.x will be maintained as a LTS (best-effort basis, mostly for security)
that will be the last working version for quite a few systems.
- Windows XP,
Vista,
and the servers equivalent of those Windows versions
- macOS 10.7, 10.8 & 10.9, iOS 7 & 8
- Android 2.x, 3.x, 4.0.x & 4.1.x
It seems to be taking a page from browser design.
For what reason ? Who knows.
Paul
If you mean the not-supporting-old-OSs (like XP) aspect, then presumably
the reason is to limit the programming effort required: for a finite
resource, it must be split between old OS support, bugfixing, and adding
features.

(Certainly, it _ought_ to be possible to write universal code, but -
again with limited resource, especially if that includes mostly younger
folk - the _compilers_ [or similar tools] that only support more recent
OSs, they probably find easier to use.)

Lynn Truss, RT 2015/2/21-27
Wolf K
2018-03-18 21:09:26 UTC
On 2018-03-18 12:32, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[...]
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(Certainly, it _ought_ to be possible to write universal code,
[...]

The program itself is universal. It's the layers and links between the
program and the system that aren't universal. There are good reasons for
that, mainly simplifying and saving time coding the interfaces between a
program and the other components of the system it's running on and/or
part of. Simple example: How do you access a file on local storage? on
Network storage? In a database? You either write your own routine, or
you use a ready made one supplied by the the OS maker, or the database
provider, or whoever.

And that last point alludes to the bad reasons. The walled-garden
syndrome. But. I. Will. Not. Rant.

Best,
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
weeks ago."
Mayayana
2018-03-18 21:34:51 UTC
"Wolf K" <***@sympatico.ca> wrote

| > (Certainly, it _ought_ to be possible to write universal code,
| [...]
|
| The program itself is universal. It's the layers and links between the
| program and the system that aren't universal.

Since the people at VideoLAN apparently haven't
explained their reasons, there's no way to tell what's
going on. It could be that they want to use some kind
of new library that doesn't support XP. Or it could just
be that they can't be bothered to test on a system
they think is not used by enough people to warrant
their time.

Interestingly, looking at the running program in Process
Explorer and looking at dependencies of DLLs, it appears
that the whole thing is written in VC6++, which dates
to '98. So I'd guess it's one of two things. Either they just
can't be bothered to keep supporting older systems or
they plan to make a major move to a new system, maybe
the latest version of VC++. But the VC++ 2017 runtime
installs fine on XP, so.....