WLM (just curious)
philo
2017-05-19 10:30:17 UTC
Just out of curiosity, I decided to look at Windows Live Mail on a Vista
machine and used it only to import from Thunderbird

What I upgraded this machine from Vista to Win7 it disappeared.

What would people have done who used it , then upgraded?
Mike Easter
2017-05-19 14:44:08 UTC
Post by philo
Just out of curiosity, I decided to look at Windows Live Mail on a Vista
machine and used it only to import from Thunderbird
The native mail agent on Vista is Windows Mail, not WLM.
Post by philo
What I upgraded this machine from Vista to Win7 it disappeared.
Win7 doesn't have a native mail agent. MS advised people to add WLM or
go to a 3rd party. There are online instructions for how to 'revive' or
call it 'install' - add the necessary pieces - to get WM on Win7.
Post by philo
What would people have done who used it , then upgraded?
Win7 users with some effort can use Vista's WM or they can use the older
2009 WLM instead of the current version. The current version is no good
for newsgroups because it doesn't handle quote levels at all.
Mike Easter
philo
2017-05-19 15:02:08 UTC
Post by philo
What would people have done who used it , then upgraded?
Win7 users with some effort can use Vista's WM or they can use the older
2009 WLM instead of the current version. The current version is no good
for newsgroups because it doesn't handle quote levels at all.
I just asked because I bet anyone who upgraded from Vista to Win7 must
have been unpleasantly surprised to see their mail gone.

I see with the Vista to Win7 upgrade Windows Movie maker is gone too.

I only had one video I had made and that I converted to an mp3 so it was
not a big deal.

I still have a few HD's with XP and even win2k if I ever needed to run
an older OS
Diesel
2017-06-15 19:13:12 UTC
Post by philo
Post by philo
What would people have done who used it , then upgraded?
Win7 users with some effort can use Vista's WM or they can use
the older 2009 WLM instead of the current version. The current
version is no good for newsgroups because it doesn't handle quote
levels at all.
I just asked because I bet anyone who upgraded from Vista to Win7
must have been unpleasantly surprised to see their mail gone.
Amongst other things, yes.
Post by philo
I see with the Vista to Win7 upgrade Windows Movie maker is gone too.
Yep. It wasn't that good to begin with, though.
Post by philo
I still have a few HD's with XP and even win2k if I ever needed to
run an older OS
Just be sure to backup what's on them, and refresh them on occasion
if you want to keep them around awhile longer. they will eventually
start to lose data if left untouched and unused. It is after all,
magnetic media. :) By refresh, I mean, read/write all sectors on the
disk. Spinrite is great for that, but, it's not freeware.
The way to a man's heart is through his back.
Ken Blake
2017-06-15 21:42:47 UTC
Post by philo
I just asked because I bet anyone who upgraded from Vista to Win7 must
have been unpleasantly surprised to see their mail gone.
I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 (long ago), but I was *not*
surprised to see my mail gone.

In fact it wasn't gone. Not everyone who uses any particular Windows
version also use all of its built-in choices. I never used Vista's
native mail application because I thought it was a very poor choice.
Diesel
2017-06-17 11:34:48 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by philo
I just asked because I bet anyone who upgraded from Vista to Win7
must have been unpleasantly surprised to see their mail gone.
I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 (long ago), but I was *not*
surprised to see my mail gone.
In fact it wasn't gone. Not everyone who uses any particular
Windows version also use all of its built-in choices. I never used
Vista's native mail application because I thought it was a very
poor choice.
I've used pegasus since the 90s and never looked back. It's been great,
traveled well from system to system with me. Much like this usenet
client. I especially like them both because if something went terribly
wrong with either, I know how to get my raw data out of their data
files. And, that's important to me.

Cats must hide Grandma's $35 prescription eyedrops.
Ken Blake
2017-06-17 14:24:33 UTC
Post by Diesel
Post by Ken Blake
Post by philo
I just asked because I bet anyone who upgraded from Vista to Win7
must have been unpleasantly surprised to see their mail gone.
I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 (long ago), but I was *not*
surprised to see my mail gone.
In fact it wasn't gone. Not everyone who uses any particular
Windows version also use all of its built-in choices. I never used
Vista's native mail application because I thought it was a very
poor choice.
I've used pegasus since the 90s and never looked back. It's been great,
traveled well from system to system with me. Much like this usenet
client. I especially like them both because if something went terribly
wrong with either, I know how to get my raw data out of their data
files. And, that's important to me.
I used Pegasus years ago. I remember liking it a lot, but moving to
something else (it was long enough ago that I'm not sure what) because
I liked it even better.