(Vista) delete permission to SD card in wireless printer?
2017-06-01 07:16:58 UTC
A friend was wanting to clear his SD cards before going on holiday, by
moving the contents to his HD.

In the past he's used an external USB card reader (that I got him at a
poundshop!; apart from flimsy construction, it seemed to work fine); I
don't _think_ we ever had this problem with that. Anyway, he couldn't
find it, so we instead used the SD slot in his newish EPSON wireless
printer. (The card materialised as drive Z:.)

On trying to move the files, we were told we hadn't permission. Further
investigation showed it was deleting the files we weren't allowed to do;
it would let us _copy_ them no problem.

He was still able to delete the images (once verified that they were
indeed on the computer) from the card, in the camera; it's just fiddly
to have to do so.

Not a real problem, and I don't know when I'll next be visiting him
anyway, so I might not remember if it's anything complicated; I just
wondered if anyone had come across this one before, and if so is there a
solution (preferably a simple one).

I'd rather trust the guys in the lab coats who aren't demanding that I get up
early on Sundays to apologize for being human.
-- Captain Splendid (quoted by "The Real Bev" in mozilla.general, 2014-11-16)
VanguardLH
2017-06-01 21:01:17 UTC
A friend was wanting to clear his SD cards before going on holiday, by
moving the contents to his HD.
In the past he's used an external USB card reader (that I got him at a
poundshop!; apart from flimsy construction, it seemed to work fine); I
don't _think_ we ever had this problem with that. Anyway, he couldn't
find it, so we instead used the SD slot in his newish EPSON wireless
printer. (The card materialised as drive Z:.)
Those are ususally not pass-through USB hubs. That card slot might only
be usable for a specific purpose, like the printer reading image files
from it. This is like TVs that have a USB port but you have to be damn
careful to do the research to find out if you can put movie files on the
USB drive to use in that TV's USB port or if the TV's file manager only
support photo image files.

On my HP Envy 5660 all-in-one printer (can be wireless but instead I use
a USB connection), it's card slot is used only for output during a scan:
the printer will save the scan onto the card. I then have to tote the
card to a computer to read from it. There is no using that card slot
like a USB hub (through the printer and via the printer's USB connection
back to the computer). There is no mention of the card slot in the
printer's manual other to scan *to* the memory card. There is no
mention of using it as an input and especially no mention that it acts
like a USB hub.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
On trying to move the files, we were told we hadn't permission. Further
investigation showed it was deleting the files we weren't allowed to do;
it would let us _copy_ them no problem.
He was still able to delete the images (once verified that they were
indeed on the computer) from the card, in the camera; it's just fiddly
to have to do so.
Probably because the camera supports PTP or MTP to access the files on
the flash card. Don't know what transfer protocol your printer
supports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

You'll have to read the unidentified printer's manual to see what file
transfer protocols that its firmware will support.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Not a real problem, and I don't know when I'll next be visiting him
anyway, so I might not remember if it's anything complicated; I just
wondered if anyone had come across this one before, and if so is there a
solution (preferably a simple one).
You'll have to read the unidentified model of Epson printer to find out
how THAT printer can use its memory card slot. They probably did *not*
add a USB hub inside the printer.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-06-01 21:15:18 UTC
A friend was wanting to clear his SD cards before going on holiday, by
moving the contents to his HD.
In the past he's used an external USB card reader (that I got him at a
poundshop!; apart from flimsy construction, it seemed to work fine); I
don't _think_ we ever had this problem with that. Anyway, he couldn't
find it, so we instead used the SD slot in his newish EPSON wireless
printer. (The card materialised as drive Z:.)
Those are ususally not pass-through USB hubs. That card slot might only
be usable for a specific purpose, like the printer reading image files
Yes, when we plugged in the card, all sorts of options appeared on the
printer (it has a little colour screen).
Post by VanguardLH
from it. This is like TVs that have a USB port but you have to be damn
careful to do the research to find out if you can put movie files on the
USB drive to use in that TV's USB port or if the TV's file manager only
support photo image files.
(Or, even in ones that can use a USB drive to record to, it's only from
digital TV reception, not from the analogue video input, even if the set
has one.)
On trying to move the files, we were told we hadn't permission. Further
investigation showed it was deleting the files we weren't allowed to do;
it would let us _copy_ them no problem.
He was still able to delete the images (once verified that they were
indeed on the computer) from the card, in the camera; it's just fiddly
to have to do so.
Probably because the camera supports PTP or MTP to access the files on
the flash card. Don't know what transfer protocol your printer
supports.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol
Well, we _were_ able to _view_ (and copy) the files on the Vista laptop.
And see the structure of the card (as usual, the images were in a
subdirectory [of name vaguely related to the camera make/model] of the
directory DCIM off the root).
You'll have to read the unidentified model of Epson printer to find out
how THAT printer can use its memory card slot. They probably did *not*
add a USB hub inside the printer.
Indeed; too clever by half. With his older (USB-connected) Brother
printer, which we did use before I got him the card reader, we _were_
able to use it just like a floppy drive.

Not a problem; if it won't let us delete the files from the computer, it
won't, and I won't bother reading its manual. Just find (or buy another)
USB card reader.

Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.
Brian Gregory
2017-06-01 22:34:29 UTC
[...]
You need to see this instructions for the printer to answer this.
--
Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Kerr Mudd-John
2017-06-02 10:20:21 UTC
On Thu, 01 Jun 2017 08:16:58 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
A friend was wanting to clear his SD cards before going on holiday, by
moving the contents to his HD.
In the past he's used an external USB card reader (that I got him at a
poundshop!; apart from flimsy construction, it seemed to work fine); I
I've had 3 of them die on me.
Bah, and indeed, Humbug
Ken Blake
2017-06-02 15:32:03 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
A friend was wanting to clear his SD cards before going on holiday, by
moving the contents to his HD.
In the past he's used an external USB card reader (that I got him at a
poundshop!; apart from flimsy construction, it seemed to work fine); I
I've had 3 of them die on me.
My experience is very different from yours. I own two, both of which
I've had for years, and I've never had a single problem with either.