Pairing a Bluetooth speaker
Yousuf Khan
2017-08-10 18:06:44 UTC
Been trying to get a BT speaker to work on my laptop for a while. I have
a BT receiver plugged into a USB port, and it's working fine as far as
Windows Device Manager is showing. So I tried to connect a speaker to
it, just one of those small speakers that you normally pair with a
smartphone. It works fine with my smartphone. So anyways, Windows saw
that it was available for pairing, and so I tried to add it. Windows
went into a big long search for drivers on Windows Update, and in the
end it failed to find any such drivers, but the speaker icon did show up
on my BT devices list. The speaker didn't show up in my speakers list,
so I removed the device and tried to re-add it. Now it doesn't even show
up in my BT devices list! So what can I do now?
Big Al
2017-08-10 21:11:53 UTC
Post by Yousuf Khan
Been trying to get a BT speaker to work on my laptop for a while. I have
BT receiver plugged into a USB port,
I hope you mean a BT transmitter?!
Post by Yousuf Khan
and it's working fine as far as
Windows Device Manager is showing. So I tried to connect a speaker to
it, just one of those small speakers that you normally pair with a
smartphone. It works fine with my smartphone. So anyways, Windows saw
that it was available for pairing, and so I tried to add it. Windows
went into a big long search for drivers on Windows Update, and in the
end it failed to find any such drivers, but the speaker icon did show up
on my BT devices list. The speaker didn't show up in my speakers list,
so I removed the device and tried to re-add it. Now it doesn't even show
up in my BT devices list! So what can I do now?
Don't you have any directions with the USB device? Like a driver CD or
a web site to go to for the download of drivers if needed?
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-08-11 06:49:06 UTC
Post by Yousuf Khan
Post by Yousuf Khan
Been trying to get a BT speaker to work on my laptop for a while. I
have a
BT receiver plugged into a USB port,
I hope you mean a BT transmitter?!
[]
Transceiver, I hope (-:!

Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.
Yousuf Khan
2017-08-11 13:30:53 UTC
Post by Yousuf Khan
Post by Yousuf Khan
Been trying to get a BT speaker to work on my laptop for a while. I
have a
BT receiver plugged into a USB port,
I hope you mean a BT transmitter?!
Really?!? That's what you're going to start with?
Post by Yousuf Khan
Don't you have any directions with the USB device? Like a driver CD or
a web site to go to for the download of drivers if needed?
No, these things don't come with any such things as they're supposed to
work straight out of the box. And for the most part, it did do that with
my phone.
Sent from Giganews on Thunderbird on my Toshiba laptop
Wolf K
2017-08-11 14:11:53 UTC
Post by Yousuf Khan
Post by Yousuf Khan
Post by Yousuf Khan
Been trying to get a BT speaker to work on my laptop for a while. I
have a
BT receiver plugged into a USB port,
I hope you mean a BT transmitter?!
Really?!? That's what you're going to start with?
Well, sure. If you have a USB BT dongle plugged in, the obvious
inference is that your machine didn't have BT built-in, or else had an
early version which doesn't handle the latest protocols. Either way,
you'd need an add-on, which that USB dongle appears to be.
Post by Yousuf Khan
Post by Yousuf Khan
Don't you have any directions with the USB device? Like a driver CD
or a web site to go to for the download of drivers if needed?
No, these things don't come with any such things as they're supposed to
work straight out of the box. And for the most part, it did do that with
my phone.
Trouble is that BT has evolved. EG, I wanted to pair a BT mouse with our
old laptop. Couldn't do it, even though the laptop has BT. But it
doesn't have the HID protocol.

Your problem appears to be that you have a speaker that expects the
latest/current BT protocols, and your machine doesn't do them. The phone
of course does use the latest automatic-pairing protocols.

I don't know the solution to your problem, but I suspect a new piece of
BT hardware will do the job. There may be a boot-loadable driver that
emulates the latest hardware protocols.

Good luck,
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"Wanted. Schrödinger’s Cat. Dead and Alive."
Paul
2017-08-11 15:50:56 UTC
Post by Yousuf Khan
Post by Yousuf Khan
Don't you have any directions with the USB device? Like a driver CD
or a web site to go to for the download of drivers if needed?
No, these things don't come with any such things as they're supposed to
work straight out of the box. And for the most part, it did do that with
my phone.
At this point, we don't know what speakers are involved here.

The speaker would have no way to enter a PIN, and perhaps
a single button both enables pairing, or clears the memory
of previous associations.

In the old days, you might have used a pin of 0000 or something.

The speaker should have A2DP, and may have aptX (better
quality, proprietary). Bluetooth stacks vary as to what
profiles they support, and I don't know where aptX gets
supported exactly. I can't imagine a speaker being "only
aptX", as the user would have a lot of trouble using it.

Maybe you could use Linux BlueZ to check out the speaker
from the PC side, just for fun. It won't really tell
you anything. But BlueZ does have the odd debug utility,
so it may be able to give you more background info
about what is happen, than the "buttery smooth but
useless" Windows approach. When my attempts to set up
a Piconet in Win10 were stymied at every step, I began
to realize just how poor the stack, and the planning was.

Wireshark seems to have an hci option on Linux, but I don't
know if anything exists for Windows. Wireshark also claims
to have dissectors for various stacks, so you should have
a way to label the packets when they arrive.

https://wiki.wireshark.org/Bluetooth

Linux had some other utility that would dump info
about the current Bluetooth state, but I can't remember
the name of it.

Sometimes articles like this, reveal "hardware state"
issues that may also apply to Windows. For example,
there is a command here, to tell your device to
drop an existing pairing (so that, presumably, Linux
could pair to that MAC address instead). But that would
not change what Windows remembers about BT devices.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/bluetooth

And here, some people try to get at the keys on
the Windows registry. So something in here, will
show the pairing activity that has already gone on.

https://superuser.com/questions/229930/finding-bluetooth-link-key-in-windows-7-to-double-pair-a-device-on-dualboot-com

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BTHPORT\Parameters\Keys\5cac4c10c4f1

I take it the quantity on the end, is a unique MAC address.
The MAC used when networking on BT. The value might be
a representation of a 128 bit quantity.

*******

https://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/128671-bluetooth-headset-pairs-but-wont-connect-not-avail-playback-devic.html?s=db9903c4b95634e51db9cf542f9f34dd

"HERE IS THE FIX:

Remove the device from your PC (Devices and Printers)

click on Add a Device and set your bluetooth to pairing mode

when your device shows up in the list DO NOT HIT NEXT just yet
Instead right click and go to Properties and select ALL the
options for the services and after it install everything
it will work for you.

Also, please don't forget to change your default sound device
in Control Panel and Sound.
"

So apparently something in Add a Device, is going to show
profile options ? Like A2DP or aptX ?

Paul
Diesel
2017-08-18 04:17:36 UTC
Post by Yousuf Khan
Been trying to get a BT speaker to work on my laptop for a while.
I have a BT receiver plugged into a USB port, and it's working
fine as far as Windows Device Manager is showing. So I tried to
connect a speaker to it, just one of those small speakers that you
normally pair with a smartphone. It works fine with my smartphone.
So anyways, Windows saw that it was available for pairing, and so
I tried to add it. Windows went into a big long search for drivers
on Windows Update, and in the end it failed to find any such
drivers, but the speaker icon did show up on my BT devices list.
The speaker didn't show up in my speakers list, so I removed the
device and tried to re-add it. Now it doesn't even show up in my
BT devices list! So what can I do now?
What is the specific make/model of your speaker? And which version of
Windows are you using? Does the computer support bluetooth on it's
own, or is additional hardware needed? I ask because you said you've
plugged the speaker into the usb port. I assume that's not just to
charge it?

If this computer is a laptop, what is the make/model of it?

The more information you can provide, the greater the chances someone
here can assist you and get it paired to your computer. Worst case,
one of us can tell you why it won't. But, we do need a little more
information to make educated 'guesses' at the problem.

How can you buy or sell the sky? - Chief Sealth, 1852