Unable to manage conputer
swalker
2018-03-24 03:06:35 UTC
When I attempt to manage computer by right clicking on Computer and
selecting Manage the action fails with a message stating that the ...
computer management.lnk can't be found.

So I guess the link is missing.

How do I restore it?

Jim
VanguardLH
2018-03-24 04:10:06 UTC
Post by swalker
When I attempt to manage computer by right clicking on Computer and
selecting Manage the action fails with a message stating that the ...
computer management.lnk can't be found.
So I guess the link is missing.
The shortcut file (.lnk) should be in:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative
Tools\Computer Management.lnk

Under Start Menu -> Programs -> Administrative, there should be about 12
shortcuts (for the default ones, not including any that you added in
that folder). Are there 12? There should be:

Component Services
Computer Management (*)
Data Sources (ODBC)
Event Viewer
iSCSI Initiator
Performance Monitor
Services
System Configuration
Task Scheduler
Windows Firewlal with Advanced Security
Windows Memory Diagnostic
Windows Powershell Modules

(*) The one reported missing.

I added a couple, like those below, so I can't be sure of the default
count. The ones that I [thinkd that I] added were:

Certificate Manager
User Accounts (Advanced)

For the "Computer Management" shortcut, its properties are:

Target: %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc /s
Start in: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
Shortcut key: none
Run: Normal window
Comment: Manages disks and provides access to other tools to manage
local and remote computers.

You can always run compmgmt.msc to start that wizard rather than relying
on a shortcut (named "Computer Management" or whatever you like) or a
pointer to the shortcut (right-clicking on Computer and selecting
Manage). The compmgmt.msc wizard just provides links to other wizards
that are available separately: Task Scheduler, Event Viewer,
Performance, Device Management, Disk Manager, and Services. You did not
mention those other wizard links were missing.
JJ
2018-03-24 23:30:54 UTC
Post by swalker
When I attempt to manage computer by right clicking on Computer and
selecting Manage the action fails with a message stating that the ...
computer management.lnk can't be found.
So I guess the link is missing.
How do I restore it?
Jim
Looks like your system has been tampered by a so called "system fixer" or
"system optimizer" software. That menu by default in every Windows
installations, in the registry, points to "CompMgmtLauncher.exe". It never
point to a *.lnk shortcut file, and the "CompMgmtLauncher.exe" program
doesn't need any *.lnk file too.