Light browser (Light Firefox)
2017-06-01 14:20:15 UTC
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/files/48/201607300827_win32/

This came up in another thread and I thought
maybe it merits its own. I tried installing it. It
tried going online. It tried to call home to Amazon.
But I think that's the same thing Firefox does.
When I set the homepage to blank it stopped.
Presumably it was trying to report my IP address
and maybe get some ads to go on the search
page that it presents by default.

The installer is notably smaller than Firefox. Faster?
I don't know. I don't find FF so slow except in starting
up. Since I typically disable script and use a HOSTS
file, the Internet for me is mostly an ad-free collection
of webpages that load almost instantly in most cases.
I do find Pale Moon to be a bit zippier, but mostly that's
in startup. I don't find Light to be fast starting up. It's
a bit logy.

For me there's a more important area where Light
fails: Light is *all* it tries to achieve. In other words,
it doesn't bring back missing Firefox settings. It doesn't
fix the "corporate creep". (For example, the way that
Firefox hides cookie settings and defaults to allowing
3rd-party spyware cookies... Or the way that Firefox
defaults to using Do not Track, which is useless at
best and spyware at worst.) It doesn't give me a choice
for things like showing the status bar or not using
tabs. So it's back on the extension treadmill if I just
want basic configuration. And it's back to weeding
through about:config if I want basic privacy-favoring
settings. The average person is fed to the dogs by
these defaults.

In a word, the problem I see with Firefox is that
it's become a bloated, corporate product in the service
of its ad company overlords. It's no longer the peoples'
browser. It's merely the lesser of evils. In that respect,
Light offers nothing. It's exactly Firefox, just without
a few things that most people won't notice:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/review-firefox-light-slimmed-version-firefox-browser

So maybe it's good for people who love Firefox just as
it is but have trouble with it eating resources. For people
who think the Mozilla gang have taken a wrong turn, Light
offers no relief.
Mike Tomlinson
2017-06-01 17:08:55 UTC
Post by Mayayana
For people
who think the Mozilla gang have taken a wrong turn, Light
offers no relief.
http://www.palemoon.org/

is a right turn, IMO. Try it and see. Firefox without the crap.
--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Ken Blake
2017-06-01 17:21:53 UTC
Post by Mike Tomlinson
http://www.palemoon.org/
is a right turn, IMO. Try it and see. Firefox without the crap.
I've tried it. Although I generally liked it, I rejected it because it
wouldn't run some of the extensions I wanted.
PeterC
2017-06-01 21:00:10 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Mike Tomlinson
http://www.palemoon.org/
is a right turn, IMO. Try it and see. Firefox without the crap.
I've tried it. Although I generally liked it, I rejected it because it
wouldn't run some of the extensions I wanted.
There are ways and means of getting extensions to run.
If you list the ones that you want I might be able to find if they can be
installed.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway
Ken Blake
Thanks, but I don't remember what wouldn't run.
VanguardLH
2017-06-01 21:35:07 UTC
Post by Mayayana
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/files/48/201607300827_win32/
I tried installing it.
"tried" makes it sound like the install failed.
Post by Mayayana
It tried going online. It tried to call home to Amazon.
"tried" makes it sound like the unauthorized outbound connection attempt
got thwarted or prompted by a 3rd party firewall or URL blocker.
Post by Mayayana
But I think that's the same thing Firefox does. When I set the
homepage to blank it stopped. Presumably it was trying to report my
IP address and maybe get some ads to go on the search page that it
presents by default.
Does LightFirefox have that "convenience" feature (in trying to copy
Safari's speed dial) that is in full Firefox of showing you some recent
or suggested sites on a new tab? While I also set my home page to
about:blank, I had to go into the about:config editor to disable the
new-tab page that Mozilla pushed on their users. Change the following:

browser.newtabpage.enabled = False

Unlike your FUD about the Do Not Track header, this feature can be used
for tracking. The web client connects back to each site that has a tile
in the new-tab page, so the sites know how often you load a new tab that
has a tile for them (unless thwarted by an adblocker).

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customize-new-tab-page

In Firefox, I could change a setting to get rid of their noisy new-tab
page. In Google Chromium which is far less configurable, I had to
install an add-on (Empty New Tab Page).

As to the outbound connects on loading the web client ...

Since this as new install, you sure the web client wasn't trying to
phone home to check for an update? How do you have updating configured
in that web client?

Did you install any add-ons, like adblockers? Those have to phone home
to check for updates to the add-on itself and also for any content
(e.g., blacklists) they use.
Post by Mayayana
Firefox hides cookie settings and defaults to allowing 3rd-party
spyware cookies
How is Options -> Privacy and cookie settings under the History section
considered hidden? Some folks set it to block 3rd party cookies. I
left it configured to "Accept 3rd-party cookies: From visited". That
means 3rd party cookies are allowed if a currently visited site wants to
write one but using a domain that I previously visited within that
Firefox session. Some sites use cookies to track your navigation
through their web site and may need them to grant you access to their
other pages. Nowadays a "web site" may not reside within a single
domain. I configured Firefox to purge all cookies on exit.

Those settings are not hidden in Firefox. Maybe you meant that they are
hidden in LightFirefox.
Mayayana
2017-06-02 00:45:24 UTC
Try it for yourself. Install it, block it
from going online, then start it up.
(Which assumes you have a firewall that
can log attempts at going out.)

No it wasn't checking for updates. No
I don't have add-ons installed. It's as I
described: I installed it. I ran it. The firewall
offered to block it, which I agreed to. Period.
It turned out to be trying to contact several
IPs of my ISP as well as several from Amazon.
The attempts kept coming every few seconds
until I set the homepage to blank. (It defaults
to a search page.)

I'm curious how software figures out how
to contact my ISP, and why. There's no
record in Acrylic of a DNS call for that.