OT: Thunderbird and "ignore thread"
Stan Brown
2018-03-03 14:02:02 UTC
Apologies -- though I'm using Thunderbird in Windows 7 it's not part
of Windows 7. But I got frustrated after 15 minutes of Googling, so
I'm hoping someone just knows the answer.

The docs say that when you ignore a thread the mails in that thread
aren't deleted, just hidden. So when do they get deleted? Do you have
to view ignored threads and delete them yourself? That would seem
kind of silly, but I haven't been able to find anything about an
automatic deletion.
http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-03 14:09:41 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
Apologies -- though I'm using Thunderbird in Windows 7 it's not part
of Windows 7. But I got frustrated after 15 minutes of Googling, so
I'm hoping someone just knows the answer.
The docs say that when you ignore a thread the mails in that thread
aren't deleted, just hidden. So when do they get deleted? Do you have
to view ignored threads and delete them yourself? That would seem
kind of silly, but I haven't been able to find anything about an
automatic deletion.
You might do better in the Thunderbird newsgroup; it's on a closed
server, i. e. you have to sign up to it, but it is free. It's
mozilla.support.thunderbird, and the server is news.mozilla.com; there's
also a firefox one (you can guess its name), and a mozilla.general one
(and probably others, I forget). I think they're quite good 'groups.

The fifth bestselling detail of all time: the Ford Transit. (RT/C4 2015-5-24.)
Wolf K
2018-03-03 14:13:44 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
Apologies -- though I'm using Thunderbird in Windows 7 it's not part
of Windows 7. But I got frustrated after 15 minutes of Googling, so
I'm hoping someone just knows the answer.
The docs say that when you ignore a thread the mails in that thread
aren't deleted, just hidden. So when do they get deleted? Do you have
to view ignored threads and delete them yourself? That would seem
kind of silly, but I haven't been able to find anything about an
automatic deletion.
You have to Compact Folders.

Show the Menubar -> highlight the account name (not a folder or
subfolder) -> Files -> Compact Folders

The same is true of Deleted and Moved messages. They are "hidden"
(marked "do not Display"), but not removed. I Compact Folders about once
a week.

HTH
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
weeks ago."
Stan Brown
2018-03-04 02:52:04 UTC
Post by Wolf K
Post by Stan Brown
The docs say that when you ignore a thread the mails in that thread
aren't deleted, just hidden. So when do they get deleted? Do you have
to view ignored threads and delete them yourself? That would seem
kind of silly, but I haven't been able to find anything about an
automatic deletion.
You have to Compact Folders.
Show the Menubar -> highlight the account name (not a folder or
subfolder) -> Files -> Compact Folders
The same is true of Deleted and Moved messages. They are "hidden"
(marked "do not Display"), but not removed. I Compact Folders about once
a week.
Thanks, Wolf. I've compacted individual folders by right-clicking,
but never all folders on an account by using the menu.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. The status line shows
flickering messages, then stabilizes with my account name (email
address) and "Compacting folder...", but just sticks there.

Thunderbird is still responsive -- I can go to a different account
(or that one) and read a message -- so I assume the message was just
left behind instead of being erase. But the messages in the ignored
thread are still there. I even closed and reopened Thunderbird. When
that I marked ignored are still there.
http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...
Paul in Houston TX
Do you mean email or newsgroup threads?
Stan Brown
2018-03-04 02:56:36 UTC
Post by Paul in Houston TX
Post by Stan Brown
Apologies -- though I'm using Thunderbird in Windows 7 it's not part
of Windows 7. But I got frustrated after 15 minutes of Googling, so
I'm hoping someone just knows the answer.
The docs say that when you ignore a thread the mails in that thread
aren't deleted, just hidden. So when do they get deleted? Do you have
to view ignored threads and delete them yourself? That would seem
kind of silly, but I haven't been able to find anything about an
automatic deletion.
Do you mean email or newsgroup threads?
Email -- I've never been able to make any sense out of its newsgroup
interface, even though I'd like to get away from the old and creaky
Gravity.
http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...