Is Microsoft Security Essential Good or Bad?
Justin DeTorres
2017-06-16 21:46:30 UTC
What's the difference between using free MSE and other paid anti-virus
Is it okey if I just use MSE

Justin DeTorres
Big Al
2017-06-16 22:45:40 UTC
What's the difference between using free MSE and other paid anti-virus?
Is it okey if I just use MSE?
Locate the thread "AVG". Someone else just asked a similar question
but coming at it from the other side, "Is AVG as good as MSE?"
Dick
2017-06-16 22:47:03 UTC
What's the difference between using free MSE and other paid anti-virus?
Is it okey if I just use MSE?
I have used MSE for years and no trouble. Then again, I don't mess
around in sites that I shouldn't be in. MSE has worked superbly for me
with little overhead. My only complaint is that IMHO the virus update
mechanism is slower than I think it should be. That said, my system (an
I 7 - 16GB ram) slowed to a crawl with some other AntiVirus software.

YMMV,
Dick
Boris
2017-06-16 23:00:30 UTC
What's the difference between using free MSE and other paid anti-virus?
Is it okey if I just use MSE?
Hmmm...well, my MSE definitions auto updates once a day. It just did two
minutes ago.

MSE is all I use, but I also don't go where I shouldn't. I've tried AVG
free and Avast free, but they both caused problems which went away when I
uninstalled them. Same with McAfee and Kapersky.
Bob Henson
2017-06-17 07:59:31 UTC
What's the difference between using free MSE and other paid anti-virus?
Is it okey if I just use MSE?
Just about OK - but why not use Bitdefender free edition? It is small
with low overheads and Bitdefender or Kaspersky win every AV comparison
I've seen.
--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

I take long walks in the morning - before my brain works out what I'm doing!
Steve Hayes
2017-06-18 06:39:02 UTC
Post by Bob Henson
What's the difference between using free MSE and other paid anti-virus?
Is it okey if I just use MSE?
Just about OK - but why not use Bitdefender free edition? It is small
with low overheads and Bitdefender or Kaspersky win every AV comparison
I've seen.
Tried it, but it wanted me to register, and the registration didn't
work, because the registration e-mail used techniques commonly used by
spammers and malware distributors -- why should areputable antivirus
group do that?

They send you a URL, but instead of sending it in plain text, which
any decent e-mail reader will render, they wrapped it up in all sorts
of fancy codes, which not only didn't work, but crashed my computer.

Still, I suppose you can set a thief to cvatch a thief.

But I used MS Security Essentials instead, until they stopped
supporting Windows XP, and then went back to0 Avast.
--
Steve Hayes
http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm
http://khanya.wordpress.com
FredW
2017-06-18 15:34:13 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by Bob Henson
What's the difference between using free MSE and other paid anti-virus?
Is it okey if I just use MSE?
Just about OK - but why not use Bitdefender free edition? It is small
with low overheads and Bitdefender or Kaspersky win every AV comparison
I've seen.
Tried it, but it wanted me to register, and the registration didn't
work, because the registration e-mail used techniques commonly used by
spammers and malware distributors -- why should areputable antivirus
group do that?
They send you a URL, but instead of sending it in plain text, which
any decent e-mail reader will render, they wrapped it up in all sorts
of fancy codes, which not only didn't work, but crashed my computer.
Thank you.
I will reconsider using BitDefender in the near future.
Fred W. (nld)
s|b
2017-06-17 14:07:50 UTC
What's the difference between using free MSE and other paid anti-virus?
There's also _free_ antivirus. I've been using avast! Free Antivirus for
years. It's become somewhat bloated, but if you choose to custom install
and loose all the tools you'll be ok.
Is it okey if I just use MSE?
I wouldn't.
s|b
Ken Blake
2017-06-17 14:36:45 UTC
Post by s|b
What's the difference between using free MSE and other paid anti-virus?
There's also _free_ antivirus. I've been using avast! Free Antivirus for
years. It's become somewhat bloated, but if you choose to custom install
and loose all the tools you'll be ok.
Is it okey if I just use MSE?
I wouldn't.
Justin should also note that some of the most popular paid antiviruses
(in particular, Norton and McAfee) are very poor choices, and almost
anything else, even MSE, would be a better choice.
FredW
2017-06-17 15:43:03 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by s|b
What's the difference between using free MSE and other paid anti-virus?
There's also _free_ antivirus. I've been using avast! Free Antivirus for
years. It's become somewhat bloated, but if you choose to custom install
and loose all the tools you'll be ok.
Is it okey if I just use MSE?
I wouldn't.
Justin should also note that some of the most popular paid antiviruses
(in particular, Norton and McAfee) are very poor choices, and almost
anything else, even MSE, would be a better choice.
That is a statement of the past.
Norton seems to have improved considerably.

imo MSE is never a good choice.
Fred W. (nld)
Ken Blake
I don't agree.
mechanic
2017-06-18 10:31:53 UTC
MSE -> Defender for win10, and that was improved considerably.
FredW
2017-06-18 14:40:09 UTC
Post by mechanic
Post by FredW
That is a statement of the past.
Norton seems to have improved considerably.
imo MSE is never a good choice.
MSE -> Defender for win10, and that was improved considerably.
If you say so.

(I thought this was a newsgroup for Windows 7, not for Windows 10.)
;-)
Fred W. (nld)
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-06-18 07:29:56 UTC
What's the difference between using free MSE and other paid anti-virus?
Is it okey if I just use MSE?
Well... it's free and is being maintained by Mcro$oft.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
tesla sTinker
2017-06-19 00:06:22 UTC
What's the difference between using free MSE and other paid anti-virus?
Is it okey if I just use MSE?
no, microsoft is junk,
even turn off the firewall and
get you a real firewall that you can control,
such as, pc tools or private firewall.

And if you want the best virus detection,
Get Avira 2017... Even the free version works very well.
With Luke Filewalker.

Avira is made in the alps of Switzerland. German.
And believe it or not, it puts all the others to shame.
And their server is just super fast.. Most certainly have
something to learn from them...