difference between touch pad settings
2018-05-10 17:12:19 UTC
In the standard settings for a Synaptics TouchPad (which seems to be the
universal one), there are two settings:

under PalmCheck:
"If the TouchPad exhibits undesired pointer movement or clicks, increase
the PalmCheck setting by moving the slider to the right toward Maximum.
If the TouchPad misses intended motions or taps, decrease the PalmCheck
setting by moving the slider to the left toward Minimum. You are more
likely to experience missed motions or taps if the slider is in the red
zone."
under Touch Sensitivity:
"If your pointer is moving or clicking erratically, or you work in an
area with high humidity, decrease sensitivity by moving the slider to
the right toward Heavy Touch.

If you have to press too hard to operate the TouchPad or if the TouchPad
does not always respond to your taps, increase sensitivity by moving the
slider to the left toward Light Touch."

I have PalmCheck set to Maximum, and Touch Sensitivity set to Heavy
Touch. Nevertheless: I still find a featherlight touch, usually a
glancing one, will activate - most commonly when I've left the cursor on
the Paste button in my email/news software (Turnpike), which is of
course irritating. BUT: I sometimes find I have to tap quite hard when I
_do_ want a tap to be registered.

I had _assumed_, from its name, that PalmCheck was supposed to guard
against accidental triggering by a large-area contact, though "If the
TouchPad misses intended motions or taps" suggests that's not the whole
story.

… too popular actually to be any good. - Alison Graham in Radio Times 2-8
February 2013
Big Al
2018-05-10 20:20:01 UTC
[...]
Usually there is a setting to turn off touch pad if a usb mouse is
plugged. That's the one I go for as I don't want my fat hand hitting
the touch pad and screwing things up.
Stan Brown
2018-05-11 02:14:14 UTC
Post by Big Al
[quoted text muted]
I had _assumed_, from its name, that PalmCheck was supposed to guard
against accidental triggering by a large-area contact, though "If the
TouchPad misses intended motions or taps" suggests that's not the whole
story.
Usually there is a setting to turn off touch pad if a usb mouse is
plugged. That's the one I go for as I don't want my fat hand hitting
the touch pad and screwing things up.
+1
http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/