Router and Network Map query
Add Reply
pjp
2017-06-05 19:44:04 UTC
I have a typical in-house setup that slightly expanded over most. I
have a 4 port D-Link router connected to my internet providers input.
Off that router are 3 pc's and a switch. Off that swithc is a second
Linksys router that has another pc connected to it. The switch is at the
end of a 100' cable with the second router's cable an additional 50'.
The second router has been "dummied down" to act as a switch. I did this
to extend the wireless inside the house. Wireless devices can connect to
either router's wireless but for most of the house (and outside) one of
always way stroger than the other so it depends where you are.

Query is about the network map feature. The map properly shows wireless
devices connected to the second router but can't place any wireless
device if it's connected to the main router.

Is it some setting in the router or?

Routers are a D-Link DIR-601 (main) and a Linksys WRT160Nv3 (dummied
down to be a switch but wireless still active).

I never see any sign of the switch that's inline with it all wich seems
to also be an issue.
Paul
2017-06-06 09:34:49 UTC
Post by pjp
[...]
Here's a primer to get you started.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/185263-network-map-view-networked-devices.html

When I've tested it, I usually get about 50% of the map
to appear, and then I give up and move on :-)

2017-06-17 15:50:08 UTC
On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 16:44:04 -0300, pjp
Post by pjp
I have a typical in-house setup that slightly expanded over most. I
have a 4 port D-Link router connected to my internet providers input.
Off that router are 3 pc's and a switch. Off that swithc is a second
Linksys router that has another pc connected to it. The switch is at the
end of a 100' cable with the second router's cable an additional 50'.
The second router has been "dummied down" to act as a switch. I did this
to extend the wireless inside the house. Wireless devices can connect to
either router's wireless but for most of the house (and outside) one of
always way stroger than the other so it depends where you are.
Query is about the network map feature. The map properly shows wireless
devices connected to the second router but can't place any wireless
device if it's connected to the main router.
Is it some setting in the router or?
You'd get that behavior if you were using the WAN connection on the
second router to connect to the LAN on the first router, but surely
you're not doing that, right?
pjp
2017-06-17 16:03:25 UTC
Post by pjp
Routers are a D-Link DIR-601 (main) and a Linksys WRT160Nv3 (dummied
down to be a switch but wireless still active).
I never see any sign of the switch that's inline with it all wich seems
to also be an issue.
Nope, dummied down router only uses the four "normal" ports. Not sure
what would even happen if I plugged something into the unused WAN port?
Char Jackson
2017-06-17 17:03:07 UTC
Post by pjp
Routers are a D-Link DIR-601 (main) and a Linksys WRT160Nv3 (dummied
down to be a switch but wireless still active).
I never see any sign of the switch that's inline with it all wich seems
to also be an issue.
Nope, dummied down router only uses the four "normal" ports. Not sure
what would even happen if I plugged something into the unused WAN port?
Devices connected to the second router would have normal access to
everything on the LAN. Devices connected to the first router would only
have access to other devices connected to the first router.

(There are edge cases and workarounds, but that's the short answer.)

All devices, regardless of which router they connect to, would still
have normal Internet access.

***

Since that wasn't the issue, hopefully the troubleshooting guide that
Paul linked to will help. Personally, I've never used the Network Map
except as the occasional curiosity. I access everything by its IP
address.
pjp
2017-06-17 18:04:40 UTC
Post by pjp
Routers are a D-Link DIR-601 (main) and a Linksys WRT160Nv3 (dummied
down to be a switch but wireless still active).
I never see any sign of the switch that's inline with it all wich seems
to also be an issue.
Nope, dummied down router only uses the four "normal" ports. Not sure
what would even happen if I plugged something into the unused WAN port?
Devices connected to the second router would have normal access to
everything on the LAN. Devices connected to the first router would only
have access to other devices connected to the first router.
(There are edge cases and workarounds, but that's the short answer.)
All devices, regardless of which router they connect to, would still
have normal Internet access.
I have no problems with the network working and all devices do as
expected. I was just curious why Network Map although usefull doesn't
seem to be something one can rely on. I get the same map regardless of
what pc I use and where it's connected (wired or wireless) except if
it's a wireless pc connected to main router in which case it does map
properly.

Seems odd that a wireless device on the dummied down router gets mapped
properly but the main router providing DHCP etc. doesn't get it's
wireless devices mapped. It's expected my IP cam doesn't get mapped
although I kinda wonder why but assume it doesn't respond to some
Windows Network query properly or likely simply ignores it as it's not
implemented in the cameras firmware.