Please follow this cut-and-paste tutorial to get batch command shortcuts working perfectly on Windows
Arlen Holder
2018-06-08 02:04:43 UTC
Cut-and-paste just-follow-my-footsteps tutorial for creating batch file
shortcut which work well in Windows 7 & 10 in your personalized menus
This tutorial assumes these basics that everyone should be able to do:
NOTE: All personalized paths below are examples (use your own paths).
- We want a shortcut to a batch file which accepts user input.
- Clicking the shortcut should pop up the program asking for user input.
- We want the shortcut to have a distinctive small icon (for menus & bars).
- We want the shortcut in the left-side start menu (alphabetical list).
- We want the shortcut in the orthogonal start menu (tiled start menu).
- We want the shortcut in a personal cascade menu (on the task bar).
- We want the shortcut in the task bar.
- We want to be able to run the command at both Cortana & the "Run" box.
- We don't want to have to click Yes to UAC permission queries.

Here are the two batch files we will set up for Windows shortcuts:
- curlme.bat (check your current WLAN IP address & ping speeds)
- killgw.bat (kill the gateway to protect from VPN dropouts).
Note: curlme is shorter & doesn't ask for UAC permission, so it's easier.
1. Create & test the batch file above (or any batch file requiring input).
C:\app\os\bin_shell\curlme.bat
@echo off
set pingit=www.google.com
:curlme
C:\app\network\curl\bin\curl.exe icanhazip.com
timeout 1 /nobreak>nul
ping %pingit%
pause
goto curlme
:stop
exit
2. Set Windows to eliminate additional default text onto shortcut names:
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\NamingTemplates
Create this variable and value.
ShortcutNameTemplate = "%s.lnk"
3. Create & test a desktop shortcut to that batch file.
curlme.bat.lnk
Target = C:\app\os\bin_shell\curlme.bat
StartIn = C:\app\os\bin_shell
4. Change the icon for that batch file shortcut.
Right click on the shortcut > Properties > [Change Icon...]
Note: If you run this step out of sequence, you won't have the
same selection of icons, but you can always manually enter:
Look for icons in this file = %SystemRoot%\System32\SHELL32.dll
5. Notice that you can't right click to "Pin to Start".
Nor can you right click to "Pin to taskbar".
Also notice you can't just drag the shortcut into the taskbar.
But at least you can copy the shortcut to your personal cascade menu:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\menu\os\bat_shell\curlme.lnk
6. You might think to put the shortcut in either of these folders:
%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ <-- for just the user
%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ <-- for all users
Then it will show up in the left-side Start Menu.
And from there, you can right click on the list to "Pin to Start"
which will copy it as a tile to the orthodox side of the Start Menu.
But you still won't be able to copy the shortcut to the task bar.
7. Notice that you can't right-click and Pin to taskbar this shortcut yet.
Right click on the shortcuts and change the Target line from:
From Target = C:\app\os\bin_shell\curlme.bat
To Target = %windir%\system32\cmd.exe /K "C:\app\os\bin_shell\curlme.bat"
And
From Target = C:\app\os\bin_shell\killgw.bat
To Target = %windir%\system32\cmd.exe /K "C:\app\os\bin_shell\killgw.bat"
Now when you right-click on this shortcut, you can "Pin to taskbar".
8. Notice that you can run the curlme command from Cortana:
Cortana > curlme > Enter
But you can't run it yet in the "Run" box.
(Right-click on Start) > Run > curlme > Enter
Which outputsthe error: Windows cannot find 'curlme'.
9. Notice that you can't yet run curlme from the Windows "Run" box.
Rightclick Start > Run > curlme <=== this fails
Navigate to the "App Paths" registry location:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\
Right click on "App Paths" > New > Key
Name the key "curlme.exe" <=== it must end with ".exe" to work!
Set the default value = C:\app\os\bin_shell\curlme.bat
Now you can run curlme from the Windows "Run" box.
Rightclick Start > Run > curlme <=== this works
10. Optionally tell the "Run" box to remember your previous commands.
Start > Settings > Personalization > Start > Show most used apps = On
11. Once you have curlme working, it's time to deal with UAC permissions.
Obtain the kill-gateway batch file which requires UAC permissions.
<https://www.liquidvpn.com/billing/dl.php?type=d&id=49>
For convenience, rename the batch file:
FROM: LiquidVPN-Kill-Switch.bat
TO: killgw.bat
And put the file in your batch-command directory:
C:\app\os\bin_shell\killgw.bat
Note: The killgw.bat file requires administrator priveleges
so we will have one extra step to selectively disable UAC for killgw.
12. Run steps 1 through 10 above on this new batch file.
Then, if you can figure out how to get the UAC prompt to go away
without loading 3rd-party software & without turning UAC off totally,
let all of us know - because I can't figure that out yet.
- Scheduled tasks isn't going to work for this command.
- Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit might work.
- Third-party solutions almost always come at a compatibility cost.
I only ask you to run this tutorial, and tell us what didn't work, and,
then for all of us to try to figure out a good solution to step #12.
R.Wieser
2018-06-08 09:56:23 UTC
Arlen,
Post by Arlen Holder
which work well in Windows 7 & 10
And why than did you post it in an XP oriented newsgroup ? <whistle>
Post by Arlen Holder
C:\app\network\curl\bin\curl.exe icanhazip.com
Neither that program nor that folder exists on my XPsp3 installation. And
I could well imagine that it doesn't exist on standard installations of 7
and 10 either.

In other words: When posting a handy batch file, make sure you either only
use programs that are available on a default install (in this case, for all
three of the OS versions), or mention the used programs as prerequisites for
it.
Post by Arlen Holder
I only ask you to run this tutorial, and tell us what didn't work,
See above. :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser
Mayayana
2018-06-08 13:16:12 UTC
"R.Wieser" <***@not.available> wrote

| And why than did you post it in an XP oriented newsgroup ? <whistle>

Win7 was also not relevant. Nor is the general post.
This seems to be the same character who posts as
"Ragnusen Ultred" and various other aliases. His posts
are recognizable by the imperious, officious tone,
extreme complexity, and a striking solicitousness
aimed at keeping people engaged.
Arlen Holder
2018-06-08 14:11:26 UTC
Post by Mayayana
Win7 was also not relevant. Nor is the general post.
This seems to be the same character who posts as
"Ragnusen Ultred" and various other aliases.
C'mon Mayayana,

Stop being a jerk just because your use model is different than mine.
And stop claiming to be a genius for claiming to figure out what's not
hidden.
And start THINKING for once, to try to ADD VALUE for heaven's sake.

We're wasting everyone's time by you being a jerk again, and by you not
caring about a poster's privacy (and by your troll's intent being to
declare that you're a genius for figuring out the obvious - when I even use
custom paths that you *know* are mine since nobody else uses them - so your
intention of posting was to claim you're an utter genius for figuring out
the obvious that was never hidden).

Everything you posted in your troll above, was a waste of our time.

The worst waste is that I have to respond to your continued childish
drivel, time after time after time, about you not liking that someone else
has perfectly valid use model that happens to be different from yours. We
already discussed your imbued racism in that regard, many times.

A. You use a chitchat model; I use a FAQ model.
B. In the chitchat model, who you are is more important than the value you
add in each post (which is almost zero added value in each post).
C. In the FAQ model, what VALUE YOU ADD is more important than who you are
(where who you are isn't important).

Having to explain that to you for the umpteenth time just wastes everyone's
time and energy.

Our time and energy is better spent helping each other IMPROVE our skills.
a. The tutorial contains very useful information for all Windows users.
b. For example, the curl idea is extremely useful to anyone on Windows.
c. I improve the tutorial based on comments from users who test it out.

I write THOUSANDS of tutorials, all of which are cut and paste, and all of
which contain useful ideas that you won't find elsewhere, at least not in a
single spot. I've been writing these tutorials for decades.

The tutorial helps users do a LOT of things that most people may not even
know how to do, such as how to figure out your WLAN IP address without
using a web browser to http://whatismyipaddress.com which has browser
security issues such as browser fingerprinting.

For privacy, for example, curl is better because it can be run only when
you're on VPN, for heaven's sake. That privacy tip alone is valuable since
most people use Whatismyipaddress which is inherently less secure.

Similarly, changing the icon for a batch file isn't intuitive on all
Windows platforms once you add the cmd option. And the killgw batch file
also provides valuable privacy to the user, on any Windows platform.

Luckily, the whole thing runs on Windows XP far easier than it does on
Windows 7 and it runs on Windows 7 easier than it runs on Windows 10, so I
probabably should put a bunch of "goto" statements in the tuturial to show
how it works on Windows XP in far fewer steps, and in Windows 7 in fewer
steps.
Post by Mayayana
His posts
are recognizable by the imperious, officious tone,
extreme complexity, and a striking solicitousness
aimed at keeping people engaged.
For the umpteenth time, you keep thinking that everyone uses your chitchat
model, which just isn't a fact.

I don't care how long a thread is. It's worthless if each post doesn't add
value. Even *this* post doesn't add any value except to tell you, for the
umpteenth time, that you have a closed mind that can't accept the fact that
some people
a. Value their privacy from aggregators, and,
b. Post valuable information outside your chitchat model of constant
drivel.

NOTE: I will NOT reply further to you in this thread, since this post
responding to your post - make both of them a complete waste of everyone's
time.

Let's get back to IMPROVING OUR SKILLS which is what the tutorial is all
about. On-topic suggested improvements are all that I seek.

I will REMOVE WindowsXP from further responses in this thread.
I will REMOVE Windows7 from further responses in this thread.
I will CONTINUE to improve the skills of all Windows users.
And I will continue to SOLICIT users to test out the tutorials I write.

That's because I'm a good Usenet citizen, and I have been doing this for
decades, with thousands of helpful tutorials to my credit, if not to my
name.
--
This was hastily written so it's not well organized like the tutorial was,
which took me about five hours to write and test so that others would be
able to follow easily.
R.Wieser
2018-06-08 20:55:09 UTC
Arlen,
... to figure out what's not hidden.
If it (your identity) is not hidden by your nym changing, why do you bother
doing it ?
And stop claiming to be a genius for claiming
I'm sorry, but where did he claim that ?
And start THINKING for once, to try to ADD VALUE for
heaven's sake.
You must have been looking into a mirror when you came up with that line.
:-D

Lets face it: You have posted a twelve-step ... something which has zero
usefull description - and no, "tutorial for creating batch file shortcut"
doesn't cover it in the slightest.

You also make it appear it works for windows versions you *obviously* have
not tested it for, looking at all kinds of W10 only references (without any
mentioning of that fact) and including at least one command that does not
exist on XP (and no, I'm not talking about curl.exe here).

Furthermore, the process of creating a shortcut to a batchfile is, under XP,
as easy as rightclick drag-and-dropping, and than selecting "create shortcut
here" from the popped-up context menu. I imagine it would work the same
for W7 and W10.

Also, do not mix two rather different things together in a single tut.
Explaining how, on W10, shortcuts can be placed in special (W10 only) places
is one thing. Some batch script to be able to easily see what your
external IP is and how slow/fast the connection to a known server is is
something quite different. Keep them apart.

Also, those "we want" lines at the top of that list ? They sound pompous
and presumptious. :-(

In my case I can say that I certainly do *not* want to have such a shortcut
to pop up in all those places all over my machine. I would probably just
put it in a folder where the other related stuff is stored, and if I really
*really* need it more often I would probably place it in my "tools"
subfolder attached to the start menu.

Suggestion: If you want to "add value", than try to think from a users
perspective - and remember that there are quite a number of different POVs
out there. So, make *suggestions* to what is possible (maybe with some
"best practices" indications thrown in here-and-there), but leave it up to
the user to decide what he wants.

And a last suggestion: do *not* (try to) attack the messenger (in this case
Mayayana). The only thing that that will result in is strengthening the
appearance of validity of the message that was presented (I have to go and
actually read it now - quite the Streisand effect I would say). If you want
to be taken seriously than "attack" the message itself (bring up proof and
by it reason to why its statements and/or conclusions are incorrect).

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

P.s.
I've been using the above name - my own - as long as I have access to usenet
groups. Which is at least 2 decades. And yes, even though I value my
privacy too.
Arlen Holder
2018-06-24 03:38:30 UTC
Post by R.Wieser
I've been using the above name - my own - as long as I have access to usenet
groups. Which is at least 2 decades. And yes, even though I value my
privacy too.
Both of us have been on Usenet for decades, where you use a different
privacy-based model than I do, both of which are valid.

Many people use what I term the "chit-chat model", where you post mostly to
other people's threads; hence you don't have any particular vested interest
in the outcome of the thread; hence who you are often contains more
importance than what technical value you actually add to the thread.

I use what I term the "Q&A model", where I mostly post to my own threads,
each of which asks a question or requests testing, using, and improving any
one of my thousands of tutorials; hence I have a huge vested interest in
the outcome, where we, together, almost never fail to find the answer to
good hard questions.

Here is a sample of some of the related solutions in my personal archives
(this screenshot is simply the top-50 setup items, in order, for Windows)

In the Q&A model, the only header that is meaningful is the SUBJECT line,
since it clearly asks a specific technical question, and the only post that
matters is the SUMMARY post, generally painstakingly written up after the
solution to thank everyone and to add to the tribal knowledge archives so
that the next person stands on our shoulders when they encounter the
problem.

Since I clearly have a vested interest in the outcome of the Q&A threads,
how I handle the inevitable bullying trolls is quite different than how I
handle them in the chit-chat threads (all of which I also read).

In the chit-chat model threads, I don't feed the trolls, nor drop to their
level, but in the Q&A model threads, once the trolls infest the thread,
it's like them bringing dung to the potluck picnic. The moment the trolls
show up, the public picnic is already ruined.

The thing about trolls is that they're all cowardly bullies, who thrive on
attention - but - who usually don't like negative attention.

It's a difficult task to decide *how* to deal with trolls in the Q&A model,
whereas it's a trivial task to decide how to deal with them in the
chit-chat model. In the chit-chat model, you're not invested in the outcome
of the thread - but - in the Q&A model, you are invested in the successful
outcome of the thread.

Bearing in mind the moment the trolls infest any thread, it's already
ruined, your only hope is to salvage what you can, and prevent the *next*
Q&A thread from being infested by the trolls.

You have to understand that huge difference to understand why I confront
the troll bullies directly, naming them directly, and pointing out directly
their lack of ability to contribute value.

Now, back to my privacy approach.

It's hilarious when I read constantly that people accuse all sorts of
posters as being me, generally when they state a fact that is a fact but
which few people are aware of (e.g., in this case, few people are aware
that you can simply *copy* the Windows XP Cascade Menu to Windows 10 and it
will work perfectly on Windows 10 sans modification (if you're smart about
organization) - and some people weren't aware that Windows 10 even had
Cascade Menus native (where they *thought* they needed Classic Shell to
obtain that basic functionality).

I almost never refute these false (or correct) accusations, simply because
there's no value in doing so, and, worse, there's no way to prove I'm not
that poster when I'm accused of being someone else.

What I rebel against is the inherent racist thought process that people
"assume" that simply wanting privacy equates to being a troll - where -
what's hilarious, is it's always the trolls accusing others of being
trolls.

They have absolutely *nothing of value* to add to the technical
conversation, so all they can do is exclaim their "utter genius" in
figuring out the obvious.

Which speaks to your point.

Did you ever notice I'm the only one on this planet who uses the words
"heterodox" and "orthodox" for the left and right side Start Menu? Did you
ever notice that my screenshots of my setup are not only patently unique
and extremely well organized folder structure?

Who on earth uses such unique paths for decades except me?

I never change my posting style. I never change my strategy and hence my
tactics. I never change the extreme attention to detail. I never change the
perfect grammar and spelling and punctuation (although I make mistakes and
typos, like anyone does). etc.

Even my screenshots are unique, as few on the planet are as organized as I
am with a computer user interface, even on mobile devices:

So when I hear people like Mayayana or Wolf K. or Frank Slootweg exclaim
with glee that they're utter geniuses for figuring out my posts, I simply
smile at the realization that the DK scale fools the expert as much as it
does the ignorati.

Hence, you ask why I would bother to not hide who I am within the posts,
and yet desire privacy in the headers?

The answer is the same today as it was when I came up with the tactic,
which is that basal Usenet aggregators must, by design, key off of headers,
where all I do is foil the robotic aggregators who do so.
R.Wieser
2018-06-24 09:17:24 UTC
Arlen,
Post by Arlen Holder
how I handle the inevitable bullying trolls
I think the problem starts right there. You seem to think that someone who
does not agree with you must be a troll, and if they do not leave "your"
thread they must be bullying too.
Post by Arlen Holder
Since I clearly have a vested interest in the outcome of the Q&A threads,
And you think noone else vests in what he posts ? Do you consider
yourself *that* special ?
Post by Arlen Holder
Bearing in mind the moment the trolls infest any thread, it's
already ruined,
Not really. It depends on how you deal with them. Counter their nonsence
with facts and most of the time you kill them in their tracks.

Heck, if anything a "hey, that can't be right ?" post which is countered
with a good explanation often strengthens a stance. And gains respect.
Post by Arlen Holder
So when I hear people like Mayayana or Wolf K. or Frank Slootweg
exclaim with glee that they're utter geniuses for figuring out my posts
Thats the second time you tell me that, and I already mentioned that I did
not see any proof of it. I do however see someone going for the messenger
Post by Arlen Holder
and improving any one of my thousands of tutorials
With so many under your belt, and you post a tut like your current one ?
Thats ... remarkable. :-(
Post by Arlen Holder
which is that basal Usenet aggregators must, by design, key off of
headers, where all I do is foil the robotic aggregators who do so.
If you would actually believe that you could/would keep your nym in the body
of the message the same. The fact that you don't ...

And by the way, if you think we can easily figure out who you actually are
by looking at how you are posting (specific words, formatting), how hard do
you think it will be for a mediocre AI (if that much) to do the same ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser
Steve Hayes
2018-06-25 03:19:57 UTC
Post by R.Wieser
Arlen,
Post by Arlen Holder
Since I clearly have a vested interest in the outcome of the Q&A threads,
And you think noone else vests in what he posts ? Do you consider
yourself *that* special ?
What does this have to do with batch files?

---
Ignore the following - it's spammers for spambot fodder.

***@gmail.com
***@gmail.com
***@gmail.com
***@gmail.com
***@gmail.com
***@gmail.com
***@gmail.com
R.Wieser
2018-06-25 07:01:59 UTC
Steve,
Post by Steve Hayes
Ignore the following - it's spammers for spambot fodder.
"What does this have to do with batch files?"

Always funny to see how some people exactly know what others are doing
wrong, but do not seem to see anything wrong with doing the very same
themselves ... :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser
Frank Slootweg
2018-06-24 12:15:23 UTC
Arlen Holder <***@nospam.net> wrote:

[Most other usual rants deleted.]
Post by Arlen Holder
So when I hear people like Mayayana or Wolf K. or Frank Slootweg exclaim
with glee that they're utter geniuses for figuring out my posts, I simply
smile at the realization that the DK scale fools the expert as much as it
does the ignorati.
You still didn't provide proof that I - or Mayayana or Wolf K. for
that matter - *actually said* that I'm an utter genius.

Ergo, the lying liar is still lying.

BTW, the last few days I was back in your good books (because of my
post about one of your tutorials not showing up on
<http://www.pcbanter.net>. What changed?
Post by Arlen Holder
Hence, you ask why I would bother to not hide who I am within the posts,
and yet desire privacy in the headers?
The answer is the same today as it was when I came up with the tactic,
which is that basal Usenet aggregators must, by design, key off of headers,
where all I do is foil the robotic aggregators who do so.
As I wrote before, 1) you have no proof/indication whatsoever that
these magical 'basal Usenet aggregators' actually *exist* and 2) the
very way *how* you fake/forge your headers, would make it *trivial* for
these magical 'basal Usenet aggregators' to detect your posts. After
all, that's what we - or at least I - do to check whether or not a new
nym is *actually* you or not.

Bottom line: You're still just Don Quichote acting like an ostrich.

P.S. If you keep outright lying, I'll keep pointing out your lies, so
you might as well save yourself the effort.
Steve Hayes
2018-06-25 03:19:13 UTC
Post by Arlen Holder
So when I hear people like Mayayana or Wolf K. or Frank Slootweg exclaim
with glee that they're utter geniuses for figuring out my posts, I simply
smile at the realization that the DK scale fools the expert as much as it
does the ignorati.
You still didn't provide proof that I - or Mayayana or Wolf K. for
that matter - *actually said* that I'm an utter genius.
Ergo, the lying liar is still lying.
And what does it have to do with batch files?

---

***@gmail.com
Steve Hayes
2018-06-25 03:17:45 UTC
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_restore1.jpg>
[...]
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_my_win10_cascade_menu.jpg>
Who on earth uses such unique paths for decades except me?
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_win10menu808.jpg>
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios_library_1.jpg>
So when I hear people like Mayayana or Wolf K. or Frank Slootweg exclaim
with glee that they're utter geniuses for figuring out my posts, I simply
smile at the realization that the DK scale fools the expert as much as it
does the ignorati.
Hence, you ask why I would bother to not hide who I am within the posts,
and yet desire privacy in the headers?
The answer is the same today as it was when I came up with the tactic,
which is that basal Usenet aggregators must, by design, key off of headers,
where all I do is foil the robotic aggregators who do so.
What does any of the above have to do with batch files?

---

***@gmail.com
nospam
2018-06-08 14:39:10 UTC
a good summary of his tactics.
Diesel
2018-06-09 03:59:46 UTC
Post by Mayayana
| And why than did you post it in an XP oriented newsgroup ? <whistle>

Win7 was also not relevant. Nor is the general post.
This seems to be the same character who posts as
"Ragnusen Ultred" and various other aliases. His posts
are recognizable by the imperious, officious tone,
extreme complexity, and a striking solicitousness
aimed at keeping people engaged.
A decent summary of their operating tactics.
--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:
It's later than you think.
Arlen Holder
2018-06-08 13:31:27 UTC
Post by R.Wieser
Post by Arlen Holder
C:\app\network\curl\bin\curl.exe icanhazip.com
Neither that program nor that folder exists on my XPsp3 installation. And
I could well imagine that it doesn't exist on standard installations of 7
and 10 either.
In other words: When posting a handy batch file, make sure you either only
use programs that are available on a default install (in this case, for all
three of the OS versions), or mention the used programs as prerequisites for
it.
Thanks for catching that omission of mine!
Now I can improve the tutorial!

To my credit, I had posted where to get the kill-gatwway batch file, but to
my discredit, I had forgotten that curl isn't part of the system.

Based on your input, I will improve the tutorial so that it contains the
location of curl, although I'm not quite sure if there is only one
canonical location for curl for Windows.

Where, basically, the (canonical?) location for curl see,s to be here:
https://curl.haxx.se/download.html

Or, maybe it's here?
http://www.confusedbycode.com/curl/

So, I agree, it's a little confusing to pick the "one" canonical location
for curl, simply because they have a score of Windows flavors:
https://curl.haxx.se/download.html

DOS - zip - 7.10.5 binary Doug Kaufman
DOS - 7zip - 7.53.0 binary Michael Kostylev
Win32 - 7.57.0 binary Chocolatey
Win32 - Generic - 7zip 7.53.1 binary Darren Owen
Win32 - Generic - zip 7.59.0 binary Marc Horsken
Win32 - Generic - zip 7.60.0 binary Dirk Paehl
Win32 - Generic - CAB 7.60.0 binary Stefan Kanthak
Win32 - Generic - zip 7.60.0 binary Dirk Paehl
Win32 - Generic - zip 7.60.0 binary Viktor Szakats
Win32 - cygwin - binary - 7.59.0 Cygwin
Win32 - cygwin - 7.59.0 libcurl Cygwin
Win64 - binary - 7.57.0 Chocolatey
Win64 - Generic - ia64 CAB 7.60.0 binary Stefan Kanthak
Win64 - Generic - x86_64 7zip 7.53.1 binary Darren Owen
Win64 - Generic - x86_64 zip 7.59.0 binary Marc Horsken
Win64 - Generic - x86_64 CAB 7.60.0 binary Stefan Kanthak
Win64 - Generic - x86_64 zip 7.60.0 binary Viktor Szakats
Win64 - cygwin - 7.59.0 binary Cygwin
Win64 - cygwin - 7.59.0 libcurl Cygwin

Luckily, there's an installation guide I can link to:
http://support.gnip.com/articles/curl-on-win7.html

In summary, you're right that I forgot to provide the download location for
"curl", so I thank you for bringing that up. The problem will be to figure
out which is the ONE location to point them to.

I'm leaning toward this wizard - how does that sound?
https://curl.haxx.se/dlwiz/
Arlen Holder
2018-07-03 23:04:45 UTC
Post by Arlen Holder
Cut-and-paste just-follow-my-footsteps tutorial for creating batch file
shortcut which work well in Windows 7 & 10 in your personalized menus
If you set it up right, all you do is rightclick on a shortcut, and that
populates the four menus:
1. The heterodox Start Menu (aka, the "alphabetical" left-side menu)
2. The orthodox Start Menu (aka the "tiled" right-side menu)
3. The cascade Start Menu (aka the task-bar cascade menu system)
4. The task bar itself (and anything else you want to populate).

There are more details on how to set all this up efficiently over here
Please follow this cut-and-paste tutorial to get batch command shortcuts working perfectly on Windows
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/1PzeGP4KMTU>

But here is a quick summary of the efficiency that I promulgate:
1. We save the application installer in a task-based hierarchy:
2. This particular example happens to be the "Shotcut" video editor:
3. The default location happens to be software > editor > vid
4. Notice that the app hiearchy mirrors that same organization:
5. Also notice the heterodox start menu populates the orthodox menu:
6. From any shortcut, you just right click to populate the task bar:
7. You can put the shortcuts anywhere you find them useful:
8. Specifically, you can add that shortcut to any menu you like:
9. For example, you can add the shortcut to the orthodox Start Menu:
10. Or right click to add it to the task bar:
11. Or right click to add it to the WinXP-style Cascade Menu:
12. Or right click to add it to the heterodox Start Menu:
13. It's a simple matter to move the Cascade Menu items around:
14. You drag and drop the Win10 Cascade Menu exactly as you did on WinXP:
15. Native, out of the box, WinXP & Win10 Cascade Menus are exactly the
same!
16. You drag and drop the tiled orthodox start menu also (as you see fit):
17. I use the same hierarchy on all my machines over the decades:
18. And, of course, there's always the shortcut task bar method:
19. And if you set it up, you can use the command line also:
20. But you need to know how to use the all-important "App Paths" key:

Bear in mind, given we all do the same tasks on all desktops, I did the
same with the Ubuntu KDE Cascade Menus, but I'd have to dig up the apnotes
as they are *years* old.

Here are examples of similar organization on iOS (designed for one finger):
And on Android (designed for one handed operation):

1. Win10 Cascade Menu
2. Win10 Orthodox Start Menu:
3. Win10 Heterodox Start Menu:

For example, here is my task-based iOS (large) iPad home screen:

Here is my task-based Android home screen (designed for one hand):

Those aren't alphabetical, but they many of the same tasks we do on
desktops.

Here is a desktop task based WinXP Cascade Menu:
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_winxp_cascade758.jp

Here is a desktop task based Win10 Cascade Menu:

The tasks are the same; so the menus are the same (with honing over the
years), just like on Ubuntu the tasks are the same, so the menus are the
same.
nospam
2018-07-03 23:13:22 UTC
Post by Arlen Holder
Bear in mind, given we all do the same tasks on all desktops,
false.