Skype won't connect; new one won't install
2018-03-03 20:25:36 UTC
I have two W7 machines; one underpowered but with a big screen, that I
use for TeamCenter and Skype, and one more recent.

The old one works Skype fine (version 7.38.0.101 (it nags to upgrade but
I say not now). I've disconnected and reconnected, so the password I
know is correct, and there's no blockage of Skype through my ISP or
router.

On the newer machine, If I download and run the latest installer
(8.16.0.4), it runs, does some unpacking, says it's setting up shortcuts
(it doesn't _ask_ - normal Microsoft rudeness), then the window
disappears - though two "Skype.exe" entries remain in Task Manager (even
now, many minutes later). No error message, no tray icon, nothing in the
taskbar. There _is_ a desktop and start menu icon: if I activate those,
there is brief activity, and extra Skype.exe tasks open. I _can_ kill
the tasks. The Skype.exe is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Skype for
Desktop.

I have an older installer; if I run that, it installs, and if I run the
resultant Skype.exe - which is in C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone - it
opens up, and I can enter my "Skype Name" and "Password". It then
circles briefly, and then says "Skype can't connect." It's version
6.5.32.158.

I _can_ connect on this machine using the browser-based version of Skype
(using the same Skype Name and password, I can get in, see my "account
settings", and so on). Skype _is_ permitted in my firewall. I have IE11.
I have fully turned off Skype on the old machine so they're not both
trying to connect at once. I have uninstalled (using Revo Pro on
advanced setting, so nothing should have remained) and reinstalled
several times (both 6.x and 8.x installers), with the same effect (6.x
installs but "can't connect", 8.x installer just disappears, though
creates icons and a .exe).

I have googled "Skype can't connect"; most of the hits say either
upgrade Skype or check your firewall (or your password). [One YouTube
video took over five minutes to say uninstall, delete %appdata% folder,
and reinstall.]

Any ideas?

[What's your guilty pleasure?] Why should you feel guilty about pleasure? -
Michel Roux Jr in Radio Times 2-8 February 2013
Ammammata
2018-03-05 16:13:03 UTC
Il giorno Sat 03 Mar 2018 09:25:36p, *J. P. Gilliver (John)* ha inviato su
I have uninstalled and reinstalled
several times (both 6.x and 8.x installers),
Any ideas?
what about version 7.x ?

here: https://filehippo.com/download_skype/

the list is on the right side:

Older Versions
Skype 7.40.0.103
Skype 7.39.0.102
Skype 7.38.0.101
Skype 7.37.0.103
Skype 7.36.0.101
View more...
--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
........... [ al lavoro ] ...........
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-06 00:33:35 UTC
Post by Ammammata
Il giorno Sat 03 Mar 2018 09:25:36p, *J. P. Gilliver (John)* ha inviato su
I have uninstalled and reinstalled
several times (both 6.x and 8.x installers),
Any ideas?
what about version 7.x ?
OK (though why doesn't the latest work?). But here goes. Uninstalling
whatever version I have at the moment, using Revo ... done.
Post by Ammammata
here: https://filehippo.com/download_skype/
Presumably the official site only has the latest version.
Trying to get 7.40.0.104 ... I get "D'oh! Where'd that page go?", and I
see I'm on the Skype site, not filehippo. Same result.
Post by Ammammata
Older Versions
Skype 7.40.0.103
Try for that one, both browsers. Some download bleeps, and page reloads
(both browsers).

Sod this for a game of soldiers, I'll try oldversion.com ... ah, that
has 7.16.0.102, which is also 4X MB (the ones on filehippo said they
were only 1.x MB, which sounds like a "stub installer"). Checking with
AVG ... says it's OK.
[]
Just remembered: turning off (fully) Skype on the other machine (the one
where it does work). [Not sure if having two machines connected at once
is a problem, but I'm not giving it any chances.]

Running the 43.1 MB file. English. I agree - next. Deselect Skype Click
to call. Continue. Definitely deselect Bing and MSN. Continue.
Installing Skype. This may take a few minutes. Ah, sign-in page. Enter
Skype name. Sign in. *. Enter password. Sign in. *.

Skype can't connect.

Check Windows Firewall: Skype is allowed.

Reconnecting on other machine, using same Skype Name and Password: works
fine. (That one's 7.38.0.101.)

Note that at the two points I've shown with "*" above, there was a
circling-blobs pause, as if it was connecting (presumably first time to
see if it was a genuine Skype name, then to check the password). Same on
the machine on which it _does_ work.

I hate petitions, they're the modern-day equivalent of villagers with
pitchforks and flaming torches. - Alison Graham RT 2016/2/20-26