Whining - prionters and stuff.
pyotr filipivich
2018-03-06 22:58:49 UTC
Just tossed the Epson printer. Literally.
It suddenly can't recognize the ink cartridge which has been in it
for the last year. Fnord - considering that it could not print at
anything less than High Quality without leaving gaps in the printout,
no wonder it was 15 bucks at the second hand store. Live and learn.

I could (finally, eventually) hook up to the Canon printer through
The Wife's computer. But I think it has an issue with automatic
duplex printing on legal size paper.
So, I go to try an find which Canon printers handle automatic
duplex legal size printing. That seems to not be of major concern to
anyone, including the Canon company.

Grumble - I wants a web site where I can check off the things
which matter to me, and the rest are of less concern. Sort of like
when I was shopping for a new truck. I was looking for "a pickup". I
was not seriously concerned whether is was a Ford Pickup, or a VW
Pickup or a Mazda Pickup. I wanted a pickup, one each, cab & a half,
the rest is details. But no, I have to check out each specific
manufacturers... arggh.
So what I want is a printer, inkjet, which will handle letter/A4,
legal and B5, automatically printing on both sides. So I that I can
print brochures, "signatures" and other fun things.

Arrgh.

And I'm late for this evening's appointments.
--
pyotr filipivich
The question was asked: "Is Hindsight overrated?"
In retrospect, it appears to be.
SC Tom
2018-03-07 11:33:36 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
Google seems to help somewhat. I googled "inkjet printers that will handle
letter/A4/legal/B5" and came up with 110K hits.

This site is pretty informative:
<https://www.techradar.com/news/best-printers>

I feel your pain. I've had 2 HP inkjets that won't print worth a damn unless
you print at least one page of something every day or two >:-( I started
buying aftermarket cartridges for a third of the price of "Genuine HP", and
they work a heck of a lot better.
SC Tom
Wolf K
2018-03-07 15:05:17 UTC
Post by SC Tom
[...]
If you need to do a lot of colour printing, invest in a printer with
tanks rather than cartridges. It will cost 5x to 10x as much as one of
those cheap on-sale weekend specials, but will save its purchase price
within a year or less.

Otherwise, get a b/w laser printer, and print your photos at the
printing kiosks at Walmart or wherever.

Best,
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
weeks ago."
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-07 15:35:52 UTC
In message <PcTnC.58240$***@fx18.iad>, Wolf K
<***@sympatico.ca> writes:
[]
Post by Wolf K
If you need to do a lot of colour printing, invest in a printer with
tanks rather than cartridges. It will cost 5x to 10x as much as one of
those cheap on-sale weekend specials, but will save its purchase price
within a year or less.
Or a CISS (continuous ink supply system) for your existing printer, if
anyone makes one. The one for my EPSON cost twenty-something pounds,
IIRR. I do so little printing that I haven't tried it yet!
Post by Wolf K
Otherwise, get a b/w laser printer, and print your photos at the
printing kiosks at Walmart or wherever.
Do those kiosks use inkjets or colour laser printers? IMO/E, the latter
produce far superior results: I think the quality is at least as good,
and the longevity (e. g. moisture- and wear-resistance) has no
comparison.
Post by Wolf K
Best,

"You _are_ Zaphod Beeblebrox? _The_ Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
"No, just _a_ Zaphod Beeblebrox. I come in six-packs." (from the link episode)
pyotr filipivich
2018-03-07 16:53:07 UTC
Post by Wolf K
Post by SC Tom
<https://www.techradar.com/news/best-printers>
I feel your pain. I've had 2 HP inkjets that won't print worth a damn
unless you print at least one page of something every day or two >:-( I
started buying aftermarket cartridges for a third of the price of
"Genuine HP", and they work a heck of a lot better.
If you need to do a lot of colour printing, invest in a printer with
tanks rather than cartridges. It will cost 5x to 10x as much as one of
those cheap on-sale weekend specials, but will save its purchase price
within a year or less.
Otherwise, get a b/w laser printer, and print your photos at the
printing kiosks at Walmart or wherever.
The Son In Law (our technogeek expert) has a Brother b/w laser at
home. Don't know what he does for color.

I want a color inkjet at home for the Fancy Newsletters. You
know, "the skiing in Vail isn't all it's cracked up to be, at least in
August. But we got a great rate a the hotel."
--
pyotr filipivich
2018-03-07 18:00:30 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Wolf K
Post by SC Tom
[...]
LOL

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I want colour inkjet for, plus photo
printing. FWIW, I nought an Epson ET 3600 recently, cost $360, the tanks
hold the equivalent of about 200 ink cartridges. That's between $1000
and $2000, depending on where and when you buy them.
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
weeks ago."
pyotr filipivich
2018-03-08 00:36:07 UTC
Post by Wolf K
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Wolf K
Post by SC Tom
[...]
I refill at Costco. I also don't print much.
--
pyotr filipivich
Ken Blake
2018-03-07 19:02:30 UTC
On Wed, 07 Mar 2018 08:53:07 -0800, pyotr filipivich
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Wolf K
Post by SC Tom
[...]
Your choice of course, but you might want to look into a color laser
printer.
Rene Lamontagne
2018-03-07 19:53:21 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Wolf K
Post by SC Tom
[...]
Yes, I got fed up of buying cartridges or doing refills about 10 years
ago and bought an Okidata Colour Laser, It was the best thing I ever
did, one paper jam in 10 years and thousands of pages printed. Threw
all the money pit inkjets in the garbage.

Rene
pyotr filipivich
2018-03-07 16:53:07 UTC
Post by SC Tom
Post by pyotr filipivich
And I'm late for this evening's appointments.
Google seems to help somewhat. I googled "inkjet printers that will handle
letter/A4/legal/B5" and came up with 110K hits.
<https://www.techradar.com/news/best-printers>
I feel your pain. I've had 2 HP inkjets that won't print worth a damn unless
you print at least one page of something every day or two >:-( I started
buying aftermarket cartridges for a third of the price of "Genuine HP", and
they work a heck of a lot better.
I've been refilling at Costco. 8 to 12 bucks.
Post by SC Tom
--
SC Tom
pyotr filipivich
2018-03-08 16:42:14 UTC
Post by SC Tom
Post by pyotr filipivich
And I'm late for this evening's appointments.
Google seems to help somewhat. I googled "inkjet printers that will handle
letter/A4/legal/B5" and came up with 110K hits.
That there is the problem :-) Trying to narrow down from 110k to
something more manageable.

The other issues is "minutia". I had several go rounds with tech
support over the question "Does WP X8 have the option to print a
brochure in 'booklets', that is to break up a 32 page document into
two 16 page booklets suitable for binding."
I think it was the third go round that I was able to get across
that I was not asking about duplex printing, or how to print a
brochure", or "how to use sub-documents" but "How to print a large
'brochure' as a set of signatures, suitable for binding."

Likewise, I'm seeking to print a brochure on B5 (Or legal size)
paper in landscape mode, both sides, "automatically (I do not have to
print side A and then Side B")"
For some reason, that doesn't seem to be in the FAQs B-)
Post by SC Tom
<https://www.techradar.com/news/best-printers>
Will check that out.
Post by SC Tom
I feel your pain. I've had 2 HP inkjets that won't print worth a damn unless
you print at least one page of something every day or two >:-( I started
buying aftermarket cartridges for a third of the price of "Genuine HP", and
they work a heck of a lot better.
I switched to Canon as they seem to be the least bad when it comes
to ink systems. And Costco refills for eight to 12 bucks.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
2018-03-08 17:20:38 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, pyotr
filipivich <***@mindspring.com> writes:
[]
Post by pyotr filipivich
The other issues is "minutia". I had several go rounds with tech
support over the question "Does WP X8 have the option to print a
brochure in 'booklets', that is to break up a 32 page document into
two 16 page booklets suitable for binding."
[]
When you mentioned booklets, that reminded me of another thing that
still seems rare: the ability in printer drivers to print half-size with
suitable page sorting. What I mean is - for a 4-page item, printing
[1|4] then [2|3], so if printed on a single full-size sheet both sided,
you can then fold it in half and have the document as a booklet - or for
8 sides, [1|8], [2|7], [3|6], [4|5] - or, if you _don't_ have a duplex
printer, [1|8], [3|6], [4|5], [2|7] so you can print one side then put
the stack back into the printer the other way up.

Recent versions of the Adobe Acrobat reader can I think do this (not
sure about the non-duplex option), but of course only for .pdf files;
sure, you could print to .pdf then use it, but that's tedious. _Some_
duplex printer drivers do include it, but virtually no simplex ones. I
remember long ago finding software that did it, but that wasn't free,
but moderately expensive.

We shall never - never! - allow foreigners to run our economy. They might cure
it. (George Mikes, "How to be Decadent" [1977].)
Ken Blake
2018-03-08 17:37:07 UTC
On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 17:20:38 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
When you mentioned booklets, that reminded me of another thing that
still seems rare: the ability in printer drivers to print half-size with
suitable page sorting. What I mean is - for a 4-page item, printing
[1|4] then [2|3], so if printed on a single full-size sheet both sided,
you can then fold it in half and have the document as a booklet - or for
8 sides, [1|8], [2|7], [3|6], [4|5] - or, if you _don't_ have a duplex
printer, [1|8], [3|6], [4|5], [2|7] so you can print one side then put
the stack back into the printer the other way up.
I don't know about printer drivers, but WordPerfect can do this. Can
Microsoft Word, or other word processors? I don't know.
pyotr filipivich
2018-03-09 00:42:11 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
When you mentioned booklets, that reminded me of another thing that
still seems rare: the ability in printer drivers to print half-size with
suitable page sorting. What I mean is - for a 4-page item, printing
[1|4] then [2|3], so if printed on a single full-size sheet both sided,
you can then fold it in half and have the document as a booklet - or for
8 sides, [1|8], [2|7], [3|6], [4|5] - or, if you _don't_ have a duplex
printer, [1|8], [3|6], [4|5], [2|7] so you can print one side then put
the stack back into the printer the other way up.
I don't know about printer drivers, but WordPerfect can do this. Can
Microsoft Word, or other word processors? I don't know.
I haven't tried it with - oh wait, yes I have.

Word will not only print two pages to a sheet, and get the numbers
right, but will let you break up a large document into "booklets" (so
that pages 1-8 are in one 'booklet', then 9-16, 17-24 ... or whatever
way you set it up.
--
pyotr filipivich
pyotr filipivich
2018-03-09 00:42:11 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
I know that I have been able to do that with WordPerfect, for low
these last ten - twelve? - years.
--
pyotr filipivich
Monty
2018-03-09 02:11:11 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
Would that have been Fineprint? I used that product frequently in a
past life but haven't needed it in the past few years. I found it to
be excellent for booklets.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-09 02:15:57 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
I think it was. I had a trial version, that I think only did a limited
number of pages, and may have watermarked. Looked as if it'd have been
good if I'd had the need, to buy it.

As for WordPerfect, as pyotr mentioned, I'm not surprised: it was always
ahead of Word. But the half-size thing really needs to be in the printer
driver, so it can be used with anything, not just WP/Adobe/Word.

Beatrix Potter was a bunny boiler.
- Patricia Routledge, on "Today" 2016-1-26
pyotr filipivich
2018-03-09 15:25:22 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
What I'm looking for is a full up imposition software. That's
where not only can it print four pages to a sheet (1,2 - 7,8 on sheet
one) but eight pages to a sheet, so that when folded length wise you
have all the pages in proper order. Because some of the pages are
"printed" upside down. It is confusing enough when you have a sheet
of paper in front of you B-).
Every so often, I contemplate getting my own printing press so
that I can do it "really old school."

tschus
pyotr
--