1330 empty directrories ???
masonc
2018-03-31 18:30:34 UTC
Of 1330 "empty directories" 530 do not remove.
Many "amd64..." "x86..." and "wow64..."

What's this all about, or in my native Navy language: WTF?

Thanks for any comments.
mike
2018-03-31 23:32:16 UTC
On 3/31/2018 11:30 AM, masonc wrote:
> Of 1330 "empty directories" 530 do not remove.
> Many "amd64..." "x86..." and "wow64..."
>
> What's this all about, or in my native Navy language: WTF?
>
> Thanks for any comments.

What tool tells you that you have empty directories? Surely
you're not counting them manually.

Are you sure they're empty?
Have you enabled show system files and show hidden files?
There are many links that are merely pointers to other
files/directories. Wow can be rather sparse. Even when it
looks like all those copies are really there, they may be just pointers.
Normally, you get to see what's in the linked directory.

Some directories are merely placeholders for stuff that apps might need.
If you remove them, a well-written app will just put 'em back.
A carelessly-written app will malfunction.

One attractive option is not to worry about it.
masonc
2018-04-01 04:45:10 UTC
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 16:32:16 -0700, mike <***@netzero.net> wrote:

>On 3/31/2018 11:30 AM, masonc wrote:
>> Of 1330 "empty directories" 530 do not remove.
>> Many "amd64..." "x86..." and "wow64..."
>>
>> What's this all about, or in my native Navy language: WTF?
>>
>> Thanks for any comments.
>>
>What tool tells you that you have empty directories? Surely
>you're not counting them manually.

Start -- All Programs -- Remove Empty Directories
I seem to have this program:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/rem-empty-dir/

http://www.jonasjohn.de/red.htm

>Are you sure they're empty?

Only checked one that didn't removc, an "AMD....'
IT showed empty in Windows Explorer.

Good suggestion. Thanks. Bye
Zaidy036
2018-04-01 05:24:39 UTC
<snip>

If the empty directories are in a temp directory they may be removed.

Zaidy036
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-01 11:25:18 UTC
In message <p9pqen$rbp$***@dont-email.me>, Zaidy036
<***@air.isp.spam> writes:
><snip>
>
>If the empty directories are in a temp directory they may be removed.

Or if they're on your data partition (any partition other than C:).

... each generation tends to imagine that its attitude to sex strikes just
about the right balance; that by comparison its predecessors were prim and
embarrassed, its successors sex-obsessed and pornified. - Julian Barnes, Radio
Times 9-15 March 2013
David E. Ross
2018-03-31 23:46:18 UTC
On 3/31/2018 11:30 AM, masonc wrote:
> Of 1330 "empty directories" 530 do not remove.
> Many "amd64..." "x86..." and "wow64..."
>
> What's this all about, or in my native Navy language: WTF?
>
> Thanks for any comments.

When I find something that I do not think I need, I rename it by adding
x- to the beginning of its name and -x to the end. I then set a
reminder in my calendar to check it 3 months later. If renaming it has
not created a problem, I then delete it.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
From a 1950s song
That should be Donald Trump's theme song. He obviously
does not understand "commitment", whether it is about
policy or marriage.
Bob_S
2018-04-01 00:04:51 UTC
"masonc" wrote in message

>Of 1330 "empty directories" 530 do not remove.
>Many "amd64..." "x86..." and "wow64..."
>
>What's this all about, or in my native Navy language: WTF?
>
>Thanks for any comments.

Do a search on each of those terms and get further details.

The fact that you stated the exact number of empty directories and that you
cannot remove 530 of them makes me think you like playing Russian roulette.
You evidently use a software that finds empty folders (like maybe Glary
Utilities) - and now you're asking "What's this all about...?". Did the
software come with any help files, perhaps an online tutorial and were there
any pop-up messages telling you that "This is a protected folder and can't
be removed".

The directories you couldn't remove are most likely operating system
protected folders or application protected folders and should - for the most
part, be left untouched. There are always exceptions but that is a long
story...

AMD64 is about having an Intel processor (CPU) running AMD64 extensions (64
bit mode). More online info available.
x86 folders are where the 32 bit programs are stored on an x64 operating
system.
WoW64 is for 32 bit program folders on a 64 bit operating system.

There's more of course but is there a purpose to your question or is this
just a curious inquiry?

Here's an explanation I just pulled from Google:

The 'Program Files (x86)' and 'SysWOW64' folders explained
Folder name Bitness Description
System32 64 System folder (system directory) for
64-bit files
SysWOW64 32 System folder (system directory) for 32-bit
files
Program Files 64 Folder for 64-bit program files
Program Files (x86) 32 Folder for 32-bit program files
--

Bob S.