Need better backup solution
Jeff Barnett
2017-05-28 04:42:18 UTC
I am currently using EaseUS Todo Backup Workstation to perform weekly
backups of my Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit workstations. I recently started
using symlinks to support some work I do with PhotoShop. I tested
backups by restoring a few symlinks (and hardlinks) and noted failures.
I contacted the makers of EaseUS and they confirmed the issue in the
version I'm using as well as their later versions. Therefore I am
looking for a better backup solution. Note, freeware is great but I am
willing to pay for a solution that does what I want.

I run backups once a week. Two GPT partitioned disks, one a boot SSD
(with a boot partition and a C disk partition) and the other a 4TB
single partition HDD are completely backed up each time. I have no
particular need for incremental backups. The backups are placed on a 4TB
internal HDD. All three disks are high speed SATA and directly plugged
to the motherboard. Once every two weeks I copy the latest backups from
each machine to a USB 3 external disk. Every month or so I exchange the
external disk with one kept in a safety deposit box.

The backup software I want will have several features:

1. Backups can be scheduled for off hours, e. g., I currently run them
unattended at 4:00AM Wednesday nights. If necessary, I will cause the
computers to exit S3 mode at that time.

2. I want a backup format that allows me to restore individual files,
including symlinks, as well an entire disk.

3. It is okay if the software causes a reboot before initiating the
backup. If this is done, I'd hope that software would reboot into
Windows when finished forming the backup.

4. That software must be able to restore files and/or disks from a USB 3
disk even if the backup must be initiated outside Windows, e. g.,
booting from some sort of rescue disk.

Over the last few years I have read about several free solutions as well
as some toys for sell. The show stopper for most was bullet 1 above.
Most did not use the Windows' scheduler so couldn't drag themselves out
of sleep. As best I could tell, it was a matter of hacker pride not to
use Windows' mechanisms so the result was kludge. I never dreamed, until
recently, that symlinks might be a problem so the degree of difficulty
is raised. I threw bullet 3 in since it is one way around a host of
difficulties including the use of shadow copy, etc., and might appear in
some software package. And lastly bullet 4 is just a minimal requirement.

Any recommendations would be most appreciated particularly if you know
with some certainty that the bullet list is satisfied. And don't forget:
I'm willing to pay for a decent solution.
Jeff Barnett
David E. Ross
2017-05-28 05:26:38 UTC
Post by Jeff Barnett
[...]
I use Acronis True Image for backups. Acronis is purchase-ware.

I think it meets your criteria #1 and #2. I do not think it meets #3,
but it does have the option to shut down your PC when it is done.

As for #4, you can indeed create a rescue disc. I created one, but I
have never needed to use it. I know I have used Acronis to backup
directly from a USB flash drive to a removable hard drive, but again I
have never needed to restore the flash drive from the backup.

See my <http://www.rossde.com/computer_backup.html> for the process I
use to backup my PC. Note that this is NOT an enterprise system. (I
retired in 2003.) It is merely my home system, which means I do part of
the process manually.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

Consider:
* Most state mandate that drivers have liability insurance.
* Employers are mandated to have worker's compensation insurance.
* If you live in a flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory.
* If your home has a mortgage, fire insurance is mandatory.

Why then is mandatory health insurance so bad??
c***@TZYmail.com
2017-05-28 18:03:57 UTC
Post by David E. Ross
I use Acronis True Image for backups. Acronis is purchase-ware.
I think it meets your criteria #1 and #2. I do not think it meets #3,
but it does have the option to shut down your PC when it is done.
As for #4, you can indeed create a rescue disc. I created one, but I
have never needed to use it. I know I have used Acronis to backup
directly from a USB flash drive to a removable hard drive, but again I
have never needed to restore the flash drive from the backup.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/computer_backup.html> for the process I
use to backup my PC. Note that this is NOT an enterprise system. (I
retired in 2003.) It is merely my home system, which means I do part of
the process manually.
David,

Sorry to step into the discussion here, but I have True Image also and am having
a problem with it and am wondering if you might be able to assist me with it?

I setup a backup with it as follows:

- I have an internal harddrive (C) and a external harddrive (E)
- I want to backup the "C" drive to the "E" drive for all folders and files
except one folder.
- I prepared a backup in TrueImage and used the option to exclude the one folder
- But when I run the backup - it just sits there with the bottom of the screen
saying "calculating remaining time....." and the backup does not start - I let
it sit last time and an hour and a half later, it was still sitting there.

Any thoughts on the cause of this? I really need to get my backup working.

Thanks for any help on this.

Charlie
Charliech
Zaidy036
2017-05-28 18:32:12 UTC
Now doing maintenance but post problem to https://forum.acronis.com/
including OS and ATI version.
Paul
2017-05-28 18:39:35 UTC
Post by c***@TZYmail.com
Post by David E. Ross
[...]
1) Look for some logs ?

https://kb.acronis.com/content/49484

2) Use Sysinternals Process Monitor, start the program before
you start the backup, then consult the Process Monitor screen
for "evidence" of what the program is "poking" ?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor

I actually logged an entire Macrium backup, using Process Monitor.
This is only feasible on a 64-bit setup for the machine, and the
pml file was around 9GB or so. You can set Process Monitor to
store the trace on disk, in case the machine doesn't have enough
RAM to use the default RAM storage of events. Since I knew the
"interesting" events were at the very end of the trace, I didn't
actually read the screen for the entire 9GB worth.

Unless a program tells you what it is waiting for, and unless
it generates *good* logs, you could be stuck for effective
means of debugging it. A typical gating item for a backup,
is a problem with VSS (use vssadmin for details). While your
AV could interfere with some operation, I wouldn't start looking
there first. The only files the backup program should be
locking, are the files it created itself as part of program
operation.

HTH,
Paul
David E. Ross
2017-05-28 19:40:17 UTC
Post by c***@TZYmail.com
David,
Sorry to step into the discussion here, but I have True Image also and am having
a problem with it and am wondering if you might be able to assist me with it?
- I have an internal harddrive (C) and a external harddrive (E)
- I want to backup the "C" drive to the "E" drive for all folders and files
except one folder.
- I prepared a backup in TrueImage and used the option to exclude the one folder
- But when I run the backup - it just sits there with the bottom of the screen
saying "calculating remaining time....." and the backup does not start - I let
it sit last time and an hour and a half later, it was still sitting there.
Any thoughts on the cause of this? I really need to get my backup working.
Thanks for any help on this.
Charlie
Charliech
I have never seen this problem. When I backup the drive I call H on my
cited Web page <http://www.rossde.com/computer_backup.html>, I exclude
the folder named Photos, which I backup separately. Yes, a minute or so
might elapse before the actual backup begins but never an hour.

My H-drive excluding Photos requires more than 17 GB for a full backup.
The Photos folder requires over 12 GB for a full backup.

As for your problem, are you sure Acronis can write to your E-drive? If
you have sufficient space on your C-drive, try backing-up to the C-drive
itsel. If that works, then try copying or moving the resulting .tib
file to your E-drive. If backing-up to your C-drive fails or if you
cannot put the .tib file on your E-drive, that will help you to isolate
the problem.

Paul
2017-05-28 07:49:33 UTC
Post by Jeff Barnett
[...]
This sounds like something you'll need to test.

I would try out Macrium if I were you.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

When you select "non-intelligent copy" in Macrium, it doesn't
always do what you'd expect it to do. Some operations happen
too quickly, to have been done "to forensic quality". So that's
an issue with the product.

But I've never caught it botching files or permissions,
in the simplest cases. And it does restore Junction Points,
because the home directories are correct.

*******

Reparse Points are a general purpose escape mechanism. Data
is stored in two places, and a "filter" achieves the desired
custom file system feature. That's where your Symlink comes
from. A third party could design their own feature if they
wanted, and then backup software would be hard-pressed to
reproduce the appropriate behavior on "single file restore".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparse_point

"Microsoft includes several default tags including

NTFS symbolic links,
junction points (for directories)
volume mount points
"

The most I would expect any (good) backup utility to do,
is reproduce those three properly.

In the case of "behavior" during restoration, usually a user
has to state what they want, such as ignoring data stored
on another disk ("don't descent the feature") or wanting
to descent into some other file system for the necessary
information. If you have information in a file system,
which requires recording data from a second disk, that is
outside the purview of a number of backup tools. They simply
don't do that. They use shadow copies to freeze the volume
they're working on, but they don't traverse the entire
file system, looking for "leaks" that jump to a second
disk drive. And they don't go around asserting shadow
copies on all hard drive volumes at the same time, either.

*******

To give an analogous example...

https://linux.die.net/man/1/find

-xdev #Don't descend directories on other filesystems.

That's an example of a philosophical "tick box". It's
a choice a user has to make, regarding how to treat
volumes. If you allow the search to traverse every disk
via hardlinks or symlinks or shortcuts, you could end
up searching all the disk drives (when your real intent
was to stick to a single mounted partition). A person could
construct a strategy, where they search each disk or
volume individually, in which case they would use "-xdev"
to keep the search on one disk.

A backup tool has a similar problem. For those whizzy features
in a file system, which might support "leaping off the disk",
the tool must have a policy as to what to do about it. To support
both options, might require a much more complicated approach
on Shadow Copies.

And Shadow Copies are your friend - since they allow backups
of C: while the OS is running. Macrium has a secondary method
it can use, if Shadows are not available, but I can't say I've
ever seen it used here (I didn't see any mention of it in the
on-screen log).

Paul
FredW
2017-05-28 11:01:25 UTC
Post by Jeff Barnett
[...]
I have used Macrium Reflect Free for many years
and I had to discover what you are talking about.

You are talking about a setting (Backup / Compression)
that is default NOT your non-intelligent whatever.
Standard is: Intelligent sector copy
I never changed the standard and I never had any problem.
I have no idea at all why would I change that setting!

Weekly I make an image of my C:\-partition.
I restored many times during the years,
never failed, proven in practice.

For me Macrium Reflect Free does what I expect it to do.
Fred W. (NLD)
Mayayana
2017-05-28 12:54:02 UTC
"Jeff Barnett" <***@notatt.com> wrote

| Therefore I am
| looking for a better backup solution. Note, freeware is great but I am
| willing to pay for a solution that does what I want.

It's really a matter of personal preference, as long
as you have dependable backup. Personally I separate
it into 3 categories.

1) With every computer, I set up the software,
clean it up, then make disk images. Only the OS
is on C drive. I store the disk images on DVDs.
Then I never again need to back up the OS.
A fresh copy is safely backed up. I think of it
like a tractor-trailer. The OS is the tractor. The
data partitions are the trailer. If the engine dies
there's no sense having to replace the whole truck.
You can just hook up a new tractor (OS) to the
cargo (data).
I often, also, make a copy with minimal drivers,
in case I need to move the OS to another computer.

I use BootIt for booting, partitioning and disk
imaging. About $40. It's one of the very few
categories of software that I prefer to pay for.

2) On multiple data partitions I keep data that
doesn't change, such as photos and software
installers. Those are stored internally on redundant
disks and occasionally backed up to external
media.

3) On one particular partition I store recent data:
business contracts, email, etc. That gets backed
up to DVD more frequently. So I don't need 4 TB
and I don't need to risk storing it internally. and
I can cheaply make DVDs to store in various places.

Your method is backing up the same 99% of files
over and over again, with probably less than 1%
actually new or changed. That approach -- thinking
of all OS and data as a single unit -- is highly
inefficient. But I also know from experience that
some people think my method is "out to lunch". :)
In the end it's really a matter of personal
preference, so long as you have external backups
and non-local backups, which you do.
Mike Tomlinson
2017-05-29 09:24:55 UTC
Post by Jeff Barnett
Any recommendations would be most appreciated
Bvckup. Small, lightning fast, reliable, great support, ticks all your
boxes.

www.bvckup2.com
--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
c***@TZYmail.com
2017-05-29 17:42:18 UTC
Post by Mike Tomlinson
Post by Jeff Barnett
Any recommendations would be most appreciated
Bvckup. Small, lightning fast, reliable, great support, ticks all your
boxes.
www.bvckup2.com
Thanks, I will take a look at it.

Charlie
Charliech
G***@grelberville.org
2017-05-30 00:32:22 UTC
Post by Jeff Barnett
[...]
Not strictly a backup program, but I use Karen's Power Tools
Replicator
1. Set scheds for any or all of everything you want to copy.. I copy
the larger drives on different days. The OS copy will not boot though,
but you should have your Windows Disc anyway or let (any number of
progs) create bootable OS drives for you
2. Lets you read or restore any thing or everything you want. It
allows you to copy anywhere to anywhere else. I know someone that
copies a "clean" copy of the OS drive back onto the computer so that
every day his students start with a clean slate regardless of what
they do..
You can have it step on existing files or only copy stuff that has
changed since last time.
3. Nope.
4. as above but no boot ability

I know it hasn't been updated since 2009 due to the creators sudden
death, but if it works, it works.
c***@TZYmail.com
Charliech
FredW
2017-05-30 11:04:30 UTC
Post by G***@grelberville.org
Post by Jeff Barnett
[...]
+1

I have been using Karens Replicator for many years,
adapting, adding, deleting schedules to copy folders/partitions.

Once you get used to how it works it is utmost flexible.
Karen Kenworthy sadly passed away in her sleep on April 2nd, 2011.

Download version 3.6.9 (latest version):
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/karens_replicator.html

(I still have to find a replacement, but I am not looking very hard.)
Fred W. (NLD)
Andy
Fred W. (NLD)
Paul
2017-05-31 06:42:48 UTC
Post by Andy
I use Norton Ghost and have for many years its works flawlessly for me:)
And it consists of two different products.

The Ghost they were shipping, was replaced with
code from PowerQuest Drive Image (VSS based).

Whereas the original Ghost, I believe it needed
a reboot to carry out a backup of C: .

So it isn't actually the same program as it used to be.

Paul
FredW
2017-05-31 08:08:08 UTC
Post by Andy
I use Norton Ghost and have for many years its works flawlessly for me:)
[Please do not top post.]
[It makes it impossible to quote.]

Norton Ghost and Karens Replicator are not comparable software.

Karens Replicator is for making copies of individual
files/folders/partitions.
I use it for making backups of data/documents, etc.
(different tasks on different dates.)

Norton Ghost is for making images of your operating system.
For that I use Macrium Reflect Free, proven in practice.
--
Fred W. (NLD)