Screen capture *without* Screen capture freeware [30]
Add Reply
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-07-27 16:41:46 UTC
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.

1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard

To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.

I don't wanna argue with purists if not extremists on whether Paint is
freeware, because you need to buy Windows to have it.

And to use Windows, you need a computer, which requires electricity.

There is definitely no free electricity.... unless you got a paranormal
engine... ;)
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Jason
2017-07-27 17:10:31 UTC
[This followup was posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10 and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
I don't wanna argue with purists if not extremists on whether Paint is
freeware, because you need to buy Windows to have it.
And to use Windows, you need a computer, which requires electricity.
There is definitely no free electricity.... unless you got a paranormal
engine... ;)
The (new?) Windows 10 Snipping Tool does this very well and offers
options for what to capture.
Shadow
2017-07-27 17:47:22 UTC
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 13:10:31 -0400, Jason
Post by Jason
The (new?) Windows 10 Snipping Tool does this very well and offers
options for what to capture.
The "30" above mans the mong pong troll has posted this tripe
30 times. And people still fall for it.
Ignore
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-07-28 13:53:04 UTC
Post by Shadow
The "30" above mans the mong pong troll has posted this tripe
30 times. And people still fall for it.
Ignore
You sure that I am counting correctly? Did you audit it? :)
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-07-28 13:49:36 UTC
Post by Jason
The (new?) Windows 10 Snipping Tool does this very well and offers
options for what to capture.
Thanks... might append your comments to my reminder. :)
Siri Cruise
2017-07-28 13:55:46 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
SHIFT-COMMAND-3
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|Â¥
Free the Amos Yee one. This post / ¥
Yeah, too bad about your so-called life. Ha-ha. insults Islam. Mohammed
Dan Jenkins
2017-07-28 14:48:22 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
SHIFT-COMMAND-3
I don't have a "command" key but I do have a "windows" key.
Is the "command" key the same as the "windows" key?

On Windows 10...

When I pressed shift+windows+3, up came a blank Irfanview window.
Is that what is supposed to happen with shift+windows+3 ?

Normally, to screenshot, I press windows+printscreen, which creates
C:\Users\name\Pictures\Screenshots\Screenshot (99).png

Doubleclicking on that file opens it up in Irfanview for editing.
In addition, Irfanview has screencapture commands:
Irfanview: Options > Capture/Screenshot > Capture Method
Rene Lamontagne
2017-07-28 15:00:23 UTC
Post by Dan Jenkins
Post by Siri Cruise
SHIFT-COMMAND-3
I don't have a "command" key but I do have a "windows" key.
Is the "command" key the same as the "windows" key?
Command key is an Apple Mac thing.

Rene
Dan Jenkins
2017-07-28 17:32:51 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Dan Jenkins
I don't have a "command" key but I do have a "windows" key.
Is the "command" key the same as the "windows" key?
Command key is an Apple Mac thing.
Thanks for clarifying why I don't have a command key on Windows.

On Windows 10, Windows+PrintScreen creates a screenshot as a PNG in the
User's home directory under "Pictures".

Also the "Windows+3" brings up Irfanview (where "Control+11" snaps a
screenshot).

How does that differ functionally from what Apple does?
It seems to be the same thing, functionally, on both operating systems.
Ken Springer
2017-08-11 23:12:14 UTC
Post by Dan Jenkins
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Dan Jenkins
I don't have a "command" key but I do have a "windows" key.
Is the "command" key the same as the "windows" key?
Command key is an Apple Mac thing.
Thanks for clarifying why I don't have a command key on Windows.
On Windows 10, Windows+PrintScreen creates a screenshot as a PNG in the
User's home directory under "Pictures".
The file actually goes into Pictures>Screenshots unless you've changed
the location.
Post by Dan Jenkins
Also the "Windows+3" brings up Irfanview (where "Control+11" snaps a
screenshot).
How does that differ functionally from what Apple does?
It seems to be the same thing, functionally, on both operating systems.
For what W10 does using keyboard shortcuts in the OS,
Windows+PrintScreen is the same as Shift+Command+3, which creates a
screenshot of the desktop.

In Windows, to change the screenshot file format to something else, such
as a JPG, you have to change the registry, AFAIK. What file formats you
are allowed I do not know. On a Mac, you can change the file format via
command line in the terminal. There's 5 or 6 formats, IIRC, including
TIFF and PDF.

To change the location of the Screenshots folder in Windows 10 (and 8.1
I suspect), open Properties of the Screenshots folder and change the
location. On a Mac, it's done via a command line in terminal.

Windows + Print Screen will now capture a menu dropdown, and you can do
the same on an Apple.

Up to this point, the systems are essentially the same. But going
further...

OS X, using keyboard shortcuts from the desktop can 1) take a picture of
part of the screen, 2) take a picture of the menu. I know of no way to
do this using keyboard shortcuts in Windows.

Yes, there is the Snipping tool, added to Vista in 2007. But Apple
added the Grab utility in 2005 which does the same thing. I suspect the
Apple keyboard shortcuts just access the appropriate subroutines in Grab.

What I find rather sad is, IIRC, you could do all of this with Alt +
Print Screen in Windows for Workgroups.
--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6
and it's gone!"
SC Tom
2017-08-12 12:11:53 UTC
Post by Dan Jenkins
Post by Dan Jenkins
[...]
Alt+PrtScn still works in Win10 to copy the window in focus, and can then be
pasted into a document or Paint, etc. Ctrl+PrtScn (or simply PrtScn)will
copy the entire desktop for pasting elsewhere.
I knew the commands were there in Win95 on, but couldn't remember if they
were available in Win3.x or not. Thanks for de-scaling that rusty part of my
memory :-)
SC Tom
Ken Springer
2017-08-12 23:02:57 UTC
Post by SC Tom
Post by Dan Jenkins
Post by Dan Jenkins
[...]
You're welcome.

The problem with the Print Screen method is you have to paste the
clipboard somewhere and save, before you can move on to the next
screenshots.

When I'm creating help files, I like to do all the screenshots at one time.
--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6
and it's gone!"
SC Tom
2017-08-13 11:40:13 UTC
Post by Ken Springer
Post by SC Tom
On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:00:23 -0500, Rene Lamontagne
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Dan Jenkins
[...]
True, it is more work. I only brought it up before because the OP seemed to
think it was something brand new to Win10 :-)
SC Tom
Paul
2017-08-13 13:43:47 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Dan Jenkins
[...]
If you're doing a large number of screenshots, pasting them to imaginative
filenames while you're doing a "procedure" can be distracting.

You can decouple the "procedure" from the document writing later,
by just making a movie of the screen. In this example, the framerate
is set to one picture per second, in case the computer used for the
procedure doesn't have a massive processor on it. You'll hardly
notice the additional activity in the background. If you open
a pulldown menu while doing the procedure, keep it open for at
least a second, so you'll have a snapshot of the menu for later.

*******

FFPMEG

Visit here, download the release version (3.3.3) not the nightly.
The nightly at the current time, is missing some DLL files.

You can use a static build, select the appropriate bitness
for your machine, and download the package. Unpack it as
you see fit. My convention here, is to dump the package
into C:\FFMPEG.

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Then, in a Command Prompt window, start capturing the screen.
Pressing control-c after the session is finished, will cleanly
terminate FFMPEG and your capture session. The images in this
case are JPG files, thousands of them, all dumped into one directory.
You might end up with thousands, if your lengthy procedure takes
an hour or so.

cd /d C:\path\to\pictures\directory

C:\FFMPEG\bin\ffmpeg -framerate 1 -f gdigrab -i desktop -f image2 -q:v 1 -c:v mjpeg a%05d.jpg

That will leave thousands of JPG files in "directory".

In that command, I don't know what the "-f image2" thing does,
or even if it's necessary. I presume it has
something to do with making the captured movie into
separate JPG files. The thing with FFMPEG, is the
command line evolves with time, and sometimes small
mods to a command are necessary when you go to use
it again with the latest downloaded version.

*******

To post-process, you can use AVIDemux 2.5 to step through
the frames. The JPGs can be played like a movie. You note
the frame number of a frame you want, then go to the
"Directory" full of JPGs and grab "a12345.jpg" or whatever
from the directory. I usually just write down the frame
numbers of the ones I want, then exit AVIDemux, then just
go to the folder and work on collecting the specific JPGs
for my work directory. Now, load them into GIMP, and
chop them up as appropriate (mostly "crops").

*******

The above command can be made more specific, like capturing
a specific window, or even capturing a subset of the screen
at a certain X,Y,W,H zone. Note that, if Adobe Flash is on
the screen, you'll want to "disable hardware acceleration"
in Flash, to force Flash to render into the "normal"
screen frame buffer.

The best tool for capturing all render surfaces, is FRAPS.
But it doesn't work on OSes like Win10, because Microsoft
broke it for them. FRAPS captures from three planes at
the same time, so whether it's the normal screen,
a Flash movie window, or a windowed 3D game playing,
it can capture everything. I think FRAPS (commercial)
works properly on Windows 7. It's possible Windows 8
and Windows 10 have a "rate limiter" on GDIGRAB, which
is one reason I own a copy of Windows 7, just so I can
grab the screen at 60FPS.

FFMPEG grabs the screen asynchronously. It's capturing
a buffer, and not the hardware screen. It doesn't wait
for vertical retrace or anything, to capture. If
you were to sample at 60Hz, sometimes you capture
the same frame twice (the buffer is just snapshotted
twice before it updates). And if you choose to "oversample",
FFMPEG has high sampling rate jitter. If you captured
at 180Hz, you'd expect three identical frames in a row.
Yet, if you do the analysis, you might see 1 unique frame,
followed by the next frame being repeated 5 times. There
is no "metronome" inside to make sampling uniform.

If you're a "professional", you would buy an HDMI capture
card with passthru connector. Any video capture done
on there is frame synchronous. If the OS throws up
barriers, you find one of those nice Chinese HDCP
removal boxes. (Some have made it to the continent,
disguised as 1:2 HDMI active buffer boxes.) And that
would strip HDCP, and make you a pirate :-) Or it
would make you a person who needs snapshots of their
screen, without a lot of hassle.

HDCP was modified at around HDMI Version 2.0. The
more modern your hardware, and output standards, the
more trouble you can expect from movie industry
countermeasures, to whatever you're doing. It's quite
possible the HDCP removal boxes aren't going to help
with HDMI 2.0 or higher.

2017-08-14 21:21:14 UTC
In message <ompkqn$uis$***@dont-email.me>, Paul <***@needed.invalid>
writes:
If you're doing a large number of screenshots, pasting them to imaginative
filenames while you're doing a "procedure" can be distracting.
You can decouple the "procedure" from the document writing later,
by just making a movie of the screen. In this example, the framerate
is set to one picture per second, in case the computer used for the
procedure doesn't have a massive processor on it. You'll hardly
notice the additional activity in the background. If you open
a pulldown menu while doing the procedure, keep it open for at
least a second, so you'll have a snapshot of the menu for later.
*******
FFPMEG
[good stuff on ffmpeg snipped]
Post by Paul
To post-process, you can use AVIDemux 2.5 to step through
the frames. The JPGs can be played like a movie. You note
the frame number of a frame you want, then go to the
"Directory" full of JPGs and grab "a12345.jpg" or whatever
from the directory. I usually just write down the frame
numbers of the ones I want, then exit AVIDemux, then just
go to the folder and work on collecting the specific JPGs
for my work directory. Now, load them into GIMP, and
chop them up as appropriate (mostly "crops").
Or IrfanView - just space through the folder where they are, and press
F7 or F8 when you get to one you want. No need to note numbers or
anything. Once you've told it where you want to move/copy the first one
you want, it's just two keystrokes (F7 or F8 then enter) to move/copy to
a temporary directory. (If you go past one you want with the spacebar,
backspace - er - spaces back.)

(I'd probably use IV to do the cropping too. [It can do batch, I think,
if you want to do the same crop on several.])

Capital flows toward lower costs like a river to lowest ground.
"MJ", 2015-12-05
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-07-28 17:51:14 UTC
Post by Dan Jenkins
Post by Siri Cruise
SHIFT-COMMAND-3
I don't have a "command" key but I do have a "windows" key.
Is the "command" key the same as the "windows" key?
I always disable those Window$ keys. They are distractions when I edit
documents. :)
SC Tom
2017-07-29 11:32:38 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
I don't wanna argue with purists if not extremists on whether Paint is
freeware, because you need to buy Windows to have it.
And to use Windows, you need a computer, which requires electricity.
There is definitely no free electricity.... unless you got a paranormal
engine... ;)
These have been Windows keyboard commands since Windows 95 :-)
SC Tom
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-07-30 14:48:19 UTC
Post by SC Tom
These have been Windows keyboard commands since Windows 95 :-)
I don't use those two Win-keys. :)
micky
2017-07-30 21:58:47 UTC
In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 00:41:46 +0800, "Mr.
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
Early on, maybe 20 years ago, I bought, *bought*, a copy of PrintScreen,
when I didn't realize I could do it for free. It had extra features,
but I didn't need any of them. It was 10 or maybe $20.
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
I don't wanna argue with purists if not extremists on whether Paint is
freeware, because you need to buy Windows to have it.
LOL. C'mon, let's argue.
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
And to use Windows, you need a computer, which requires electricity.
Good point. Although a friend gave me his old computer, and I found a
gallon of electricity in the trash last week. It was dirty but it
still worked.