OT. Google calendar
Add Reply
scbs29
2017-06-07 11:14:58 UTC
Hello all
I have recently started using Mailbird as an email client, which uses
Google Calendar for appointments etc. I keep reading about Google
personal data hoovering, and was wondering if the calendar does the
same. I do not see that it is any business of Google if eg I have a
doctprs appointment in a weeks time.
remove fred before emailing
pyotr filipivich
2017-06-07 15:49:33 UTC
Post by scbs29
Hello all
I have recently started using Mailbird as an email client, which uses
Google Calendar for appointments etc. I keep reading about Google
personal data hoovering, and was wondering if the calendar does the
same. I do not see that it is any business of Google if eg I have a
doctprs appointment in a weeks time.
You may not, but Google does.

Google used to have a motto of "Don't be Evil." They have a new
motto now "We'll define evil."
--
pyotr filipivich
Big Al
2017-06-07 15:53:01 UTC
Post by scbs29
Hello all
I have recently started using Mailbird as an email client, which uses
Google Calendar for appointments etc. I keep reading about Google
personal data hoovering, and was wondering if the calendar does the
same. I do not see that it is any business of Google if eg I have a
doctprs appointment in a weeks time.
Personally I agree, there's not much of value in my calendar. I have
the line up for the local football team and baseball team! They can
grab that!
They can find out I see a dentist every 6 months for teeth cleaning.
And I have a monthly reminder to cleanup windows 10 in prep for a
monthly backup! Wow, fun stuff.
pyotr filipivich
2017-06-07 21:33:04 UTC
Post by Big Al
Post by scbs29
Hello all
I have recently started using Mailbird as an email client, which uses
Google Calendar for appointments etc. I keep reading about Google
personal data hoovering, and was wondering if the calendar does the
same. I do not see that it is any business of Google if eg I have a
doctprs appointment in a weeks time.
Personally I agree, there's not much of value in my calendar. I have
the line up for the local football team and baseball team! They can
grab that!
They can find out I see a dentist every 6 months for teeth cleaning.
And I have a monthly reminder to cleanup windows 10 in prep for a
monthly backup! Wow, fun stuff.
Yep.

So now your apps can all have ads for dentists and other things.
--
pyotr filipivich
Big Al
Sorry, I don't see ads like that.
Linea Recta
2017-06-08 11:39:18 UTC
Post by scbs29
Hello all
I have recently started using Mailbird as an email client, which uses
Google Calendar for appointments etc. I keep reading about Google
personal data hoovering, and was wondering if the calendar does the
same. I do not see that it is any business of Google if eg I have a
doctprs appointment in a weeks time.
Personally I agree, there's not much of value in my calendar. I have the
line up for the local football team and baseball team! They can grab
that!
They can find out I see a dentist every 6 months for teeth cleaning.
Teeth cleaning every six months?! I do that myself... every day.
--
|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os
Wolf K
2017-06-08 12:39:21 UTC
Post by Linea Recta
Post by scbs29
Hello all
I have recently started using Mailbird as an email client, which uses
Google Calendar for appointments etc. I keep reading about Google
personal data hoovering, and was wondering if the calendar does the
same. I do not see that it is any business of Google if eg I have a
doctprs appointment in a weeks time.
Personally I agree, there's not much of value in my calendar. I have the
line up for the local football team and baseball team! They can grab
that!
They can find out I see a dentist every 6 months for teeth cleaning.
Teeth cleaning every six months?! I do that myself... every day.
Including scraping off the calculus?
--
Best,
Wolf K
"Take my advice. It's almost new, I've hardly ever taken it myself.”
Paul
2017-06-07 23:09:48 UTC
Post by scbs29
Hello all
I have recently started using Mailbird as an email client, which uses
Google Calendar for appointments etc. I keep reading about Google
personal data hoovering, and was wondering if the calendar does the
same. I do not see that it is any business of Google if eg I have a
doctprs appointment in a weeks time.
It's not really practical to encrypt the appointment content.

If caldav worked by pulling down the entire database each time,
things might be different.

If you had a third-party calendar app, that worked with OneDrive
or Dropbox or whatever Google offers in the same way, then they
might decide to encrypt the whole database, before it's uploaded.

You could do encryption at the appointment level. As a crude
(easily broken) example, you could use ROT13.

Doctors appointment 2PM

which would become

Qbpgbef nccbvagzrag 2CZ

But that's not all that convenient for viewing later.
If you were to use RSA2048 on that, the encrypted text would
likely be a lot larger than the input text.

This method is unbreakable, and the message size is the
same size as the encrypted text

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_time_pad

HELLO

EQNVZ

*******

You'd need to find a calendar product that is
Cloud based, but offers encryption of the appointment
database so no third party (nor in-flight) can observe it.
Then, all viewing screens could be in plaintext, no
ROT13 or anything else.