PART 2: Samsung SSD into Lenovo T500
Fremantle
2018-06-25 17:59:44 UTC
On Win XP pro. Samsung pro 256G SSD

Samsung Migration to clone HDD to SSD did not work.
Samsung Magician does not recognize the Samsung SSD installed in the
laptop so cannot optimize.

So still have problems but now different problems.

Samnsung Magician does not recognize the Samsung SSD now inside the
laptop. So cannot optimize SSD. new version of Magician does not run
on Win XP. Running Samsung Magician 4.9.6 but does not recognize SSD
as Samsung.

Please, Any clues ?

Remember Samsung Migration sw could not clone the HDD in the laptop to
the SSD in the USB adapter.

But Macrium Reflect did it and when the SSD was installed it booted just
fine. no running on the SSD and it does seem faster.

The adapter containing the HDD copied to the SSD new D: partition.
Kind of slow copy. All files made it over.
The laptop seems to run all apps I have tried including Thunderbird that
has the profile on D:\.

But trying to do stuff while the USB to HDD adapter is plugged in is a
nightmare. I get Win Explorer startup delays of a minute of two.
Do not know why ?

P.S. is used EaseUS PartitionMaster sw to set the D: partition on the
installed SSD. It has a checkbox to do the stuff on an SSD so maybe
that is a good thing ???

Samsung Magician can run Benchmark on SSD.
Samsung Magician sees:
C: primary Partition
D: logical Partition

Sequential Read 204 MB/S Sequential Write 226 MB/s
Random Read (IOPS) 6784 Random Write (IOPS) 17493
Paul
2018-06-25 20:25:02 UTC
Post by Fremantle
[...]
Your benchmark is normal for a SATA II port.
Higher speeds would have resulted with a SATA III port
but only newer motherboards have those. I only
have one motherboard in the house with native SATA III.
I use PCI Express cards to place SATA III elsewhere.

I don't know why Explorer would be slow to start.
If Macrium did the clone steps, the disk identifiers
should be different enough to prevent the "Offline"
problem in Disk Management.

I don't know what else File Explorer would even look
at. Maybe your AV software is scanning, but then you'd
see a disk activity LED flash.

Paul
Charlie+
2018-06-26 06:50:31 UTC
On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 10:59:44 -0700, Fremantle
Post by Fremantle
[...]
Well at least you installed SSD first and that got your boot problem
over, forget Magician for installation work, so long ago I cant really
remember what I used to do, I use Acronis (effectively same as Macrium)
to take a complete disk image, booted from Acronis CD then restored the
image to the SSD installed in the laptops, then optimised the boundry
afterwards with a boot CD from Minitool Partition Wizard (free). Worked
every time. You can't use the full speed of the Evo as Paul correctly
points out due to lack of SATA3. I still use a Lenovo X61s +Evo SSD for
travelling and it performs really well... and I did convert some R51s
etc. back in the day so its perfectly possible to do. Your random read
figure is very slow, others are ok, have you left a digit out?. C+
Zaidy036
2018-06-26 14:18:47 UTC
[...]
My memory from several years ago using similar hardware on a desktop was
leave original HDD in PC and attach SSD using external USB adapter. Boot
PC and then run Magician which copied C:\ from PC to SSD and relabeled
HDD so no more C:\. Then shutdown and placed SSD into PC with HDD and
everything ran OK. In my case HDD was 1TB with C and D partitions and
resulted in F and D partitions and SSD was C:\.
--
Zaidy036