Updates
Add Reply
freesome
2017-07-30 17:24:29 UTC
W7 pops up an update reminder then goes away.
Clicking on it get updates started.
If I miss clicking it, how do I get back that little window ?

Going to Updates only exasperates me as I sit watching the spinning
cursor forever.
David E. Ross
2017-07-30 18:14:10 UTC
Post by freesome
W7 pops up an update reminder then goes away.
Clicking on it get updates started.
If I miss clicking it, how do I get back that little window ?
Going to Updates only exasperates me as I sit watching the spinning
cursor forever.
Open a command prompt, either Run or cmd.exe. Enter
%windir%\system32\wuapp.exe startmenu
and run it.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump demands loyalty to himself from Republican members
of Congress. I always thought that members of Congress -- House
and Senate -- were required to be loyal to the people of the
United States. In any case, they all swore an oath of office
to be loyal to the Constitution.
Paul
2017-07-30 18:21:27 UTC
Post by freesome
W7 pops up an update reminder then goes away.
Clicking on it get updates started.
If I miss clicking it, how do I get back that little window ?
Going to Updates only exasperates me as I sit watching the spinning
cursor forever.
So how patched up is your system ?

Is this a fresh install which has never been updated ?

Is this a Windows 7 that received the July Cumulative and
is otherwise "fully updated" ?

You can answer the question for yourself, by using MBSA 2.3.
That's the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=7558

https://postimg.org/image/40noe3q1l/

What that does, is it basically behaves a little bit like
Windows Update. The difference is, it doesn't work out which
patch supersedes which other patch. It takes around five minutes
to run. It downloads wsusscn2.cab from Microsoft (more than 100MB
in size), looks at your machine, and works out what security patches
are missing.

On a freshly installed Windows 7, there might be 170 missing
patches. If you installed a Cumulative from Patch Tuesday, the
list could be a lot shorter.

*******

On a fresh SP1 install, I might install these two. Then see if the
Windows Update time is reduced to five minutes.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3020369

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3125574 (476.9MB!!!)

If Microsoft decides to bypass wsusscn2.cab and associated structures,
then we can't "see" updates. This was the case for WinXP and the
"wannacrypt" related security patches earlier this year. I presume
Windows 7 is still following normal protocols, but by using the
Cumulative update method (one big-ass update per month), the user
has little control over other cruft that is included in the updates.

This is a "fish or cut bait" situation. If you don't accept any
patches, your Windows Update will spin merrily in a loop, laughing
at you. On the other hand, if you make a pronounced effort to fix it,
then you will be accepting whatever additional software Microsoft
wants to include in the patch package. At one time, Microsoft
was semi-ethical, and put material of that nature in the
Optional Updates section. So that a user could decide whether
they wanted certain kinds of baggage on their computer. They
don't do things quite the same any more.

2017-07-30 19:26:08 UTC
Post by freesome
W7 pops up an update reminder then goes away.
Clicking on it get updates started.
If I miss clicking it, how do I get back that little window ?
Going to Updates only exasperates me as I sit watching the spinning
cursor forever.
Use the tray icon for the WU client that appears when it detects a new
update is available.